Oseberg and Kraken by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Bottle - 1/250

Awesome man, just Awesome!!!!

There was not doubt that you would pull this off. The first Mate is not home but I told her she says congratulations  and she can't wait to see. Talk later  I am pretty sure I heard the sigh of relief  all the way up here in Canada lol :cheers::cheers:

Have a double    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

26 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

I am pretty sure I heard the sigh of relief  all the way up here in Canada

Don’t know about Canada, but we all heard it Downunda too - along with the sound of the Scotch bottle being opened….

4 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Don’t know about Canada, but we all heard it Downunda too - along with the sound of the Scotch bottle being opened….

Call the AMBO, shock waves around the world  lol.

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

Even though the photos showed success, I still held my breath watching the video.   Just amazing work and patience.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Nope, I couldn't be a SIB builder, i couldn't afford the illegal drug bill. 

LOL!!!  You crack me up, Keith!

3 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

I'd have been extremely tense about the epoxy hardening on me...

Yes.  I was definitely nervous the last few minutes because I knew the clock was ticking.  A friend told me I should talk more during the video.  I tried, but just can't do it.  Too focused on trying to get the job done.  That's why I went back and added some captions.  And BTW, if I had your engineering skills, I could probably design these things a lot better up front and save myself a lot of anxiety during assembly!

2 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Have a double    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, gjdale said:

but we all heard it Downunda too - along with the sound of the Scotch bottle being opened….

I think I'm going to celebrate by having a couple of those Bundy beers that you downunder folks mentioned near the start of this log!  I checked and the Total Wine store down the street has them in stock!  

Edited by Glen McGuire

Great work Glen!  Like everyone else, I too was holding my breath.  What a process and steady hands.  Amazing.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Wow Glen, I felt the suspense building when you were trying to get that second half of the hull inside of the bottle, wow!  Really nice job!  Thanks for posting videos of the process.  I've seen people prepare SIBs with multi-piece hulls, but I always thought it was harder than (1) insert pieces, and (2) then glue pieces inside the bottle.  Your video shows it's not a cake walk!  I would have been really nervous busting an oar off.

Can I ask what those prongs are that you are using?  They look very sturdy and proper size to move things around in the bottle.  I read of some people suggesting using umbrella parts, but those always struck me as too lightweight and possibly prone to bend.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

24 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

Like everyone else, I too was holding my breath.  What a process and steady hands.  Amazing.

Thank you, Gary!

24 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Can I ask what those prongs are that you are using?  They look very sturdy and proper size to move things around in the bottle.  I read of some people suggesting using umbrella parts, but those always struck me as too lightweight and possibly prone to bend.

Hey Mike!  Thanks for the kind words.  The prongs are made from the long, straight part of metal coat hangers glued into a wooden dowel rod handle.  I bent the ends to a 90 degree angle and filed them for a smooth and gently rounded tip.  They have worked very well inside the bottle for pushing things around, holding things down, and untangling rigging lines.  All without scratching the ship.  To your last point, they don't bend very easily so I can apply a decent amount of force when necessary (like I had to do to get those 2 hull halves to finally join together). 

20230207_162234.jpg

After watching your video I've decided I'm NEVER going to build a ship in a bottle! It was actually painful to watch - I was sure it was going to be a disaster. I takes me hat off to you sir!  :imNotWorthy:

PS: Bundy is rum, not beer. A suitable drink for a shipbuilder, I feel.

Steven

30 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

After watching your video I've decided I'm NEVER going to build a ship in a bottle! It was actually painful to watch

Dang, Steven!  I was hoping it would have the opposite effect and you'd be rushing out to find a bottle to empty!  

30 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Rum is even better!  But my store does not have Bundaberg rum.  It's got this stuff (and I do see a kangaroo on the label).  Any good?

Screenshot 2023-02-07 170046.png

Edited by Glen McGuire

33 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

After watching your video I've decided I'm NEVER going to build a ship in a bottle! It was actually painful to watch - I was sure it was going to be a disaster. I takes me hat off to you sir!  :imNotWorthy:

Steven

Steven,  I did one ship in a bottle some years ago.  Perhaps once is enough.  One of my brothers currently has the bottle.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

9 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Steven,  I did one ship in a bottle some years ago.  Perhaps once is enough.

Me too, when I was a kid. It actually worked, but I lost it somewhere along the way. It was a clipper, with  just sails, no rigging.

Steven

Ginger beer might make good mix for the rum  😋  lol . The first Mate watched your video, well done  nicely  and gently  put in the bottle , you see she says no major damage to his. None of this ram it in and done stuff. Lol. Then she says that I should try another ship in the bottle . It was with great satisfaction that I said, I have to finish all the models I bought before I can buy another (five left to build )

Lol, She can't  wait to see it finished  

A wonderful journey!!!   :cheers:

2 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Any pictures?

Alas, no.  But my brother said I could have it back the next time I travel to visit ... and he'd also have to find which box he packed it away in - what with two estates (my parents - but not at the same time) he was the executor for.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

13 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

None of this ram it in and done stuff.

Glad you left off the rest of her quote since this is a family friendly forum!  😃

A big THANK YOU to everyone for comments and dialogue.  Y'all add so much enjoyment to the work!

OK.  speaking of work, there was still a bit of work left on the ship.  First, I had to revisit the curled ornamentation on the stem and stern posts and how to attach them inside the bottle.  After pushing the 2 halves of the hull together inside the bottle, there was a small gap between each side of the stem and stern posts.  So I cut a couple of tiny wedges to fit the gap, and glued the previously bent eye pins to the wedges (first pic below). 

Then the challenge was putting them in their spots and holding them in place while the glued dried.  What I decided to do was mix the epoxy and wait 15 minutes until it was thick and sticky but not set.  Then I glopped some on the wedge and stuck it in.  With the epoxy being stickier, the eye pin assembly was then able to stand up on its own and stay in place while it set.

Next was raising the mast, tightening the lines, gluing them to their respective eye pins, and cutting the threads off at the eye pins.  No problems there.

With that, the ship in the bottle part of this project is done!  Unfortunately for me, I think that was the easy part.  Now, as @Keith Black said, it's time to "get crackin' with the kraken!" 

20230207_160337.jpg

20230207_221041.jpg

20230207_221141.jpg

20230207_221224.jpg

This is a great Sib. I love the water treatment at the bow of the ship, it's awesome! it really gives it a sense of motion. The figureheads turned out really nice, the sail, oars and shields, everything is spot on, Glen. If you stopped right here, it's a treasure. I can't wait to see stage two. 

Great job Glen!  Looks fantastic!

Reading about the epoxy application, did you add it to one of the halves in the video before inserting into the bottle?  I saw you were worried about the lines getting in it, but were you worried about getting it on the bottle or the sea?  Or did you insert it into the holes for the two halves to join?  Just curious about how that process works.

Watching you work the two halves together, did you consider epoxying one of the hull halves into the sea, waiting for it to set, and then pushing the second half against the first?  Thinking out loud here, in a way that might be easier to join the two halves together where one is fixed in position.  On the other hand, you'd have to make sure that the first half was in the proper position otherwise if too far over one way or the other, you could have a problem.  So it's probably safer in the end the way you did it, but I would be nervous running against the clock with the epoxy setting time trying to join the two halves.  Just glad it worked out!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

11 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

did you add it to one of the halves in the video before inserting into the bottle?  I saw you were worried about the lines getting in it, but were you worried about getting it on the bottle or the sea?  Or did you insert it into the holes for the two halves to join?  Just curious about how that process works.

Yes and yes!  I dabbed epoxy into the dowel holes as well as several spots up and down the inside of the hull.  I was not sure if I could get full contact between the 2 halves along the entire length of the hull I, so I wanted to get epoxy in as many places as possible.  

14 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

did you consider epoxying one of the hull halves into the sea, waiting for it to set, and then pushing the second half against the first?

I certainly did.  But my concern was exactly what you mentioned - making sure the first half was in the proper position.  The round bottle distorts my vision and makes it difficult to get things exactly where they need to be.  My water was not very wide so I needed to be precise in my hull placement.   

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

I love the water treatment at the bow of the ship, it's awesome! it really gives it a sense of motion.

How interesting!  I had not even noticed that in the picture, Keith.  You are right, it looks really cool!  Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for it and claim it's some amazing artistic talent!  ☹️ 

I went back and examined my bottle and found that it's actually the glass distorting the view in the picture.  In reality, the water is totally flat from the back of the bottle's body to the front.  Dang!

12 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

t's actually the glass distorting the view in the picture.  In reality, the water is totally flat from the back of the bottle's body to the front. 

At some point I hope you try to replicate the way the water looks, maybe not on this build but some future build because it does look absolutely amazing.   You need to add a little plaque to the base that reads........."Stand Here"  :)

Edited by Keith Black

Glad to hear you’ve finished mucking about with the EASY bit Glen. 😉 Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the hard bit.

23 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Glad to hear you’ve finished mucking about with the EASY bit Glen. 😉 

Lordy, you've got that right, Grant!  If you don't hear from me in a month, send out the search and rescue team.

Edited by Glen McGuire

On 2/8/2023 at 10:08 AM, Glen McGuire said:

But my store does not have Bundaberg rum.  It's got this stuff (and I do see a kangaroo on the label).  Any good?

Yes! Best commercially available ginger beer on the market. Unlike most of them which taste like fizzy water with a bit of ginger added, this stuff actually tastes like the real thing, home-made ginger beer (at least to me!). I think it must actually be brewed the traditional way. They have quite a range of drinks, but the straight ginger beer is the original and best.

Steven

PS: Bundaberg is a town in Queensland.

Edited by Louie da fly

2 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Lordy, you've got that right, Grant!  If you don't hear from me in a month, send out the search and rescue team.

We'll have the team standing by with appropriate adult beverages no matter which way things go.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I decided to start the "hard bit", as @gjdale called it, with the tentacles.  I could not find anything online resembling kraken tentacles that I was happy with.  So I started playing around with other ideas.  I needed something that was the right thickness and bendable, but also sturdy enough to hold up the bottle on its own.  I finally landed on #2 AWG stranded copper wire from Home Depot for about $3/ft. 

I will coat the wire with a thin layer of modeling clay, taper the tips, and add some suckers.   

20230213_091321.jpg

Neat (and not so costly) solution Glen.  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)