Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

Well, possibly an ill judged foray into something different. This is the Aedes Ars kit to build the Castle Loarre in Spain out of individual ceramic blocks. All 8600 of them.

I built the Towers of Rochelle by the same kit manufacturer a while ago and although there were some caveats about the scale of some elements it looked decent when I finished it.

A great friend of mine sent me this kit (and paid postage all the way from Spain) a couple of years ago and I am ashamed to say it has languished. I found I got bogged down in the Rochelle build. In that kit there is a large multi-curved tower that used about 80 blocks per tier and it seemed like in spite of the hours working on it, it felt like it was going nowhere, I'm hoping that this one might go better having a widen array of smaller elements but 2000 more blocks. I suspect there will be regular breaks to play with something less demanding.

801039916_RIMG1742(1280x960).jpg.ee9a04d8390bef7fc1b1b6e23231ec69.jpg

Inside the box, plans and general guides. Some basic landscape elements which will be ditched in favour of the Woodlands Scenics investment for the howitzer diorama.  Lots and Lots of blocks

240096763_RIMG1744(960x1280).jpg.c116b3e5a98b1f9c0beab1a57f1a3429.jpg

The kit is built on a printed cardboard base which I decided to glue to a piece of 3/4 plywood. The finished kit is going to be heavy and a piece of cardboard as a base is not going to do it.

The structures are created by building up the walls against card formers. These are die cut and just need easing out of the frames

2028067406_RIMG1745(1280x960).jpg.b1a1cd6fc2886dcd837d6e2c83bca0c0.jpg

The kit provides lengths of scored card strips to create tabs to glue the formers together and to the base. The kit provides two bottles of glue which is unlikely to be enough. I switch to Weldbond when it runs out. A syringe is an efficient way to dispense the glue

1962283009_RIMG1746(1280x960).jpg.635a3a846661d480a2334e61e8233997.jpg

1170781576_RIMG1747(1280x960).jpg.747fcc652db44a575d2381bd3d3534a1.jpg

The curved sections of walls and towers require the formers to be curved. ts easy to crease and ditort the card but using the PE rollers produced decent results

1197730769_RIMG1748(1280x960).jpg.695f872052455e040978fb103b1f142c.jpg

1286325873_RIMG1749(1280x960).jpg.1b06c99b3e071210018d47fbe372c173.jpg

A variety of heavy things are used to hold the sections down until the glue sets up.

948119946_RIMG1750(1280x960).jpg.529c10cac3a66534f3aff13971666b45.jpg

And the first section of wall formers are up

1885056987_RIMG1752(1280x960).jpg.817ae654f74541f6d04ea99ee7ac3421.jpg

This may get very boring so I will only update at intervals when there is discernable progress. I'm hoping that with a bit of community spirit I can complete this without getting overburdened.

I hope you enjoy watching it come together.

There is one outstanding question - where will the completed model go. The base is 26 inches by 22 inches. Oh dear!

Thanks for looking in

Alan

I've never seen one of these kits. Now I want to see what happens next. 

Are the individual pieces actually ceramic?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

How  could I not  follow  this  -  I have  all  my  comfy  things to the ready   -  I can feel a  seige   coming on........

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

10 minutes ago, bruce d said:

See Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis

Thought you  might  find this  interesting  Alan  - 

http://castillodeloarre.es/en/the-castle/

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Oh I'm definitely down for this....

And I promise I won't fire any of my siege guns during the building, not even in practice... (chuckle, gotta build them first)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Castle builds are rare around here, but I'm in on following this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

23 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hi Bruce

The blocks are called ceramic but are really softer and easy to file, cut and sand. Maybe more of a reconstituted stone.

1707406493_RIMG1753(1280x960).jpg.77b65541692ddff1e7ac06c4bcd030b2.jpg

172481_RIMG1754(1280x960).jpg.97b78f82a1f6419b8535613172d28b84.jpg

Alan

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

How  could I not  follow  this  -  I have  all  my  comfy  things to the ready   -  I can feel a  seige   coming on........

OC.

Thank you OC. I hope you have pillows, snacks and something warming to drink

Alan

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thought you  might  find this  interesting  Alan  - 

http://castillodeloarre.es/en/the-castle/

OC.

Thank you very much OC. That is really very handy. The instructions are more of a guide and do not show images all the way round the model.

The formers at the one edge of the outer wall suggest that the brickwork only covers the upper section of the wall 

199575667_RIMG1757(1280x960).jpg.15a1b28cb11a2214ca0d0214459b4c24.jpg

I'm guessing that the hillside rises there to join the inner walls and structures but there are no pictures of that side of the model. It may become more apparent as the other structures are added but I will be looking at a lot of pictures of the real thing too

Thanks again

Alan 

19 hours ago, Egilman said:

Oh I'm definitely down for this....

And I promise I won't fire any of my siege guns during the building, not even in practice... (chuckle, gotta build them first)

Great to have you EG.

Well, that's an incentive to get the walls up as soon as possible!.I think you will have plenty of time to build a siege train

Alan

10 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Well this is something new to me, will watch with interest. I’m lucky that I live in a town with a Castle on a cliff, let me know if you need any field trips to photograph details! 🤣

Thank you for joining Andrew. This sometimes gets a bit like endless cannon rigging but the end results are nice and its enjoyable once you get in a groove.

You live in a beautiful place

Alan

Would you have the  flexibility  to make it diifferent  scales?     I know  you said  its  1/200  scale.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Castle builds are rare around here, but I'm in on following this.

Thank you Mark

These builds can be a bit of a grind and its easy to get discouraged. There are few builds out on the internet full stop, but Aedes Ars seem to be flourishing and have been increasing their range of models. Some very impressive models in their catalogue. They are a bit of an oddity in some ways. The blocks are not scale for a lot of the overall model scales and windows and doors are often out of scale because of the limitations of the block sizes. Having said that the magnificent work done by @Ekis shows what can be done

Alan

9 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you very much OC. That is really very handy. The instructions are more of a guide and do not show images all the way round the model.

The formers at the one edge of the outer wall suggest that the brickwork only covers the upper section of the wall 

I'm guessing that the hillside rises there to join the inner walls and structures but there are no pictures of that side of the model. It may become more apparent as the other structures are added but I will be looking at a lot of pictures of the real thing too

Thanks again

Alan 

So pleased  I could  help  Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The formers for the outer walls were completed 

2106901985_RIMG1758(1280x960).jpg.2ac73d1c833b5b23bcdb17ca2bd43bac.jpg

1443317217_RIMG1759(1280x960).jpg.8dda3a39b026765a28e02782bd033170.jpg

So now the brickwork begins> this is probably the first hundred - only 8500 to go. The flat and right angled sections of wall should go fairly quickly but the circular towers will need each block to be filed to shaped and fitted.

1652383136_RIMG1755(1280x960).jpg.68de186a86ff98d2e13ea006d329256f.jpg

The photo shows a couple of dodgy blocks on the top tier at left which have been removed and refitted properly. I do need some better lights for working on the work bench in the garage so off to Amazon next.

Thank you all for looking in and for supporting this build

Alan

Excellent start Alan,  this  has  all  the  potential  to be a fascinating build  into  a  real  star  item  -  loving it mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm in, hammock slung and settling in for the long haul.

Nice start, will you sand it lightly when built, as that will hide minor imperfections in the stones.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 hours ago, king derelict said:

Thanks again

Alan 

I think  they  leave  it  up to  the  builder  how  its  done  -  build  up  the  stones  to  where  the  earth  works(grass)  would be   or   build  up  the  earth  works  first  and  assemble  the  stone  blocks  up  to  it   -  might be  best  to  do the  stones  first  and  make the  earth works  just  cover  them  as   you  want.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent start Alan,  this  has  all  the  potential  to be a fascinating build  into  a  real  star  item  -  loving it mate.

OC.

Thanks a lot OC. A long haul ahead but its fun and they are an interesting diversion.

Alan

17 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm in, hammock slung and settling in for the long haul.

Nice start, will you sand it lightly when built, as that will hide minor imperfections in the stones.

Thanks for hanging around for this one Edward.

Yes, once a section is finished it will get a pretty vigorous sanding. That will smooth the walls, clean up the corners and make the round towers circular. The blocks sand easily and there is a lot of depth to go at with these 5mm blocks. If there are still gaps a mix of diluted white glue and the sanding dust will sort out most problems. The last resort is some artfully placed ivy

The blocks are somewhat irregular and the guide recommends squaring up each block. Given that there are 8600 blocks and I have a limited ability to true up anything I use them as is. I find that selecting adjacent blocks and rotating them to get the best fit gives a good result generally. I do sand each layer to make sure the following layer doesn't start to slope or meet steps between the blocks.

Alan

17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I think  they  leave  it  up to  the  builder  how  its  done  -  build  up  the  stones  to  where  the  earth  works(grass)  would be   or   build  up  the  earth  works  first  and  assemble  the  stone  blocks  up  to  it   -  might be  best  to  do the  stones  first  and  make the  earth works  just  cover  them  as   you  want.

OC.

Thank you OC. I think I will add the blocks over the area that is indicated and then add the next section of teh castle and see what the terrain is like. I'm thinking that plaster bandage over foam may be a good way to set the basic shapes of the hills and cliffs. The railroad and scenery guys like @Jack12477 and @Canute may know if you can still get the stuff or have a better idea

Alan

The wall building continues a little at a time with most of the day spent doing other things (pressure washing the patio). The blockwork lends itself to being picked up for half an hour - adding a few bricks here and there or sanding one of the awkward ones to fit. It all adds to the progress.

Its probably worth pointing out that this is a double wall so once I reach the end of the formers i have to start all over again on the other side of the formers. Its not a weekend project 😎

Thanks for all the support, comments and likes

Alan