Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

I reached a minor milestone today. I turned the corner onto the last section of walling and the end of the outer wall is in sight (at least the outer half - it all has to be done again on the inner side)

328936868_RIMG1810(1280x960).jpg.2360316084644eda841546b0d0cef3e7.jpg

451035987_RIMG1811(1280x960).jpg.83eaaf995fd8ceec63f5ab3315e68726.jpg

You can also see that I have reached the point on the last round tower where the landscape starts to climb onto the wall and the brickwork no longer runs the full depth of the wall. Its going to be interesting trying to keep the tiers horizontal but the pattern on the cardboard formers should help

I'm rough shaping and cleaning up while I wait for glue to set but I will go back and finish the tidying up once its all built.

713103138_RIMG1812(1280x960).jpg.5e24845e90fba5869c85913610068e08.jpg

I taped the joins in the cardboard formers for the main structure and hand painted the interior black with craft acrylic to help reduce light bleed through.

I need to map out the lights and how to position them. This probably needs to be done before adding the blocks. I also need to add partitions to stop lines of sight through the building. They will be full height and will also help hold the oof up. I'm sure Aedes Ars know what they are doing but they seem to trust some weighty structure to a few bits of cardboard

606278249_RIMG1813(1280x960).jpg.8e44d676f1c2c1846951585e48fdd48a.jpg

The roof template shows the outlines of the next level and I have been tracing out which elements will have windows or doors and thus need leds in place and wires routing through the roof

701353409_RIMG1814(960x1280).thumb.jpg.fb2d8b9d1e22f488cdfe961d42bf775f.jpg

And here is a bigger version of those walls and towers

IMGP0398.thumb.JPG.8d353460ddf61b45698729fb19d43aa0.JPG

Conway Castle, North Wales. A lovely place to explore

IMGP0404.thumb.JPG.3ad58ad257bb9acb0993231d9ccdceca.JPG

IMGP0410.thumb.JPG.863eaabde0ddcc8d7c37edcce7f07964.JPG

Thanks for looking in, for the likes and the comments

Alan

You are  doing an Amazing  time consuming minute  detailing  piece  of  model  building  -  loving this.

I was  once  lucky enough to live 2 minutes  away  from a castle,   the castle (towns  curtain wall)   was  our  back  garden wall,   thought you might like to see  a few pics  I took of it.

OC.

Castle 1.jpg

Castle 2.jpg

Castle 3.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

13 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You are  doing an Amazing  time consuming minute  detailing  piece  of  model  building  -  loving this.

I was  once  lucky enough to live 2 minutes  away  from a castle,   the castle (towns  curtain wall)   was  our  back  garden wall,   thought you might like to see  a few pics  I took of it.

OC.

Castle 1.jpg

Castle 2.jpg

Castle 3.jpg

What's the history of that castle, OC. The name of it?

1 minute ago, CDW said:

What's the history of that castle, OC. The name of it?

Its  Pembroke  Castle  in South Wales  UK  Craig,  its  main history  with  fierce  fighting was during the  English Civil War  in the 1600's,   the  castle  and  town  was  occupied  by both sides  Twice,  but  at the end  the  Royalists  occupied  it  until they  where  starved out  of it  with  food  and  water  cut off  from getting to the castle and town  (that was then just an  extension of the castle)

Pic by me  of the  ECW  re-enactors.

OC.

FIRE-2.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you very much OC

your photos of Pembroke castle are wonderful. Black and white is really dramatic with the right subject. I envy you living with the town wall at the end of your garden. I've walked along the town walls of Conway several times and looked down into the gardens and homes that press up against the walls

Alan

Edited by king derelict
Autocorrect spelling

35 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you very much OC

your photos of Pembroke castle are wonderful. Black and white is really dramatic with the right subject. I envy you living with the town wall at the end of your garden. I've walked along the town walls of Conway several times and looked down into the gardens and homes that press up against the walls

Alan

Alas  we don't live there  any more,   the  castle  was a great  thing  to live close  to,  in fact our  morning  dog  walks was around  the  outside castle path and  around  a large  pond  that was connected to  it,  in its  medieval  past  small carracks used  to  sail up a  river  leading to the pond  then they would load/off-load  by a wood  jetty  attached  to the castle.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I still slowly grinding (literally) away at the outer walls. As usual nothing much got done at the weekend but I got some useful time in today. It still moves along fairly slowly because I think its worth letting a tier set before trying to sand back level and risking knocking off a couple of blocks and having to do it all over again.

I turned the last corner and am on the last tower and section of wall

502743981_RIMG1815(1280x904).jpg.d0a7fae31afc95080238abe8d4ab7a61.jpg

This is where the hill will climb up the wall

1046405281_RIMG1816(1280x945).jpg.c626d77a1db6534bc6220a13e15b52e5.jpg

And the panorama showing the completed work so far.

726965438_RIMG1817(1280x960).jpg.43196cd29ab0e67b42a7b86df9c04a8d.jpg

Our nice post lady brought a package from the UK this morning

2080460883_RIMG1819(1280x1236).thumb.jpg.f89f0a5b7b32ccf3d443b70ee1ec4bde.jpg

1270042274_RIMG1822(1083x1280).thumb.jpg.5e909d0d27548c9c0e8a0aca2c776af8.jpg

The 10mm Pendraken medieval figures. They are really beautiful and I think they will work well. Thank you @Old Collingwood for the suggestion. They have a medieval cannon set too so I am considering a couple. I'm still a bit concerned about @Egilmanhowitzer

Painting them is going to be interesting I think we will be going for *overall effect*

Does anyone know how to prime metal figures? I have the Mr Metal Primer for PE so I am planning on using that

Some thought is going to have to be given to adding them to the model. They are too small to really remove from their bases so maybe I can thin the base down.

Thanks for looking in, all the likes and comments.

Alan

Excellent progress  Alan,   and  so  like the look of   your  new figures  -  metal figures  do  paint up nice  as  they can have sharper details  than plastic ones,   with  regards to  primers  for  metal figures,   I would  advise  to make sure they get a good soapy  wash   first  to remove and release agants -  with  the primer,  it  sunds  like  your  Mr Metal Primer  would be OK   but I'm  not sure  100%.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, king derelict said:

I'm still a bit concerned about @Egilmanhowitzer

Aww I wouldn't worry too much, it is still in it's shipping crate and the stevedore's don't seem to be in too much of a hurry.... {chuckle}

Besides the Masonry is looking too good to blast holes in it....

Nice work...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Alan, looking good. I think your current primer will be fine. A modicum if cleanup then fire away with the figure painting. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 2/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent progress  Alan,   and  so  like the look of   your  new figures  -  metal figures  do  paint up nice  as  they can have sharper details  than plastic ones,   with  regards to  primers  for  metal figures,   I would  advise  to make sure they get a good soapy  wash   first  to remove and release agants -  with  the primer,  it  sunds  like  your  Mr Metal Primer  would be OK   but I'm  not sure  100%.

OC.

Thank you OC. Thank you for the advice regarding the figures. I am amazed at the detail. You can see beards on faces and individual fingers on hands.

Alan

On 2/7/2023 at 12:28 AM, Egilman said:

Aww I wouldn't worry too much, it is still in it's shipping crate and the stevedore's don't seem to be in too much of a hurry.... {chuckle}

Besides the Masonry is looking too good to blast holes in it....

Nice work...

Thanks EG

Looks like there is other howitzer activity on the board too

Alan

On 2/9/2023 at 8:29 AM, Canute said:

Alan, looking good. I think your current primer will be fine. A modicum if cleanup then fire away with the figure painting. 👍

Thanks Ken

The figures are very nice but a few mould lines need to be filed down. I'm very impressed with them.

Alan

Sorry for the dolorous progress. Real like has been intruding badly these last days. Partly its self inflicted. I was asked to come back and consult for a couple of engine tests and I (possibly foolishly) agreed. It will keep the wolf a few paces away from the door and doubtless improve sales at Sprue brothers et al. Its also good to hear the howl of an F135 at full throttle again

Anyway, in quiet hours some progress has been made and the outer faces of the walls have been finished

RIMG1824(1280x678).jpg.38804488dcaf14fd143f5c7d74e4d56c.jpg

RIMG1825(1280x924).jpg.8cee19e97754ca366b255759a4fd62fd.jpg

Now I have to turn it around and do it all over again on the inside. Some of the blockwork on the inside of the towers is going to be interesting.. I had planned to take a break at this point but I'm enjoying it too much and playing with engines will provide enough diversion so I'll try to keep going. Its going to be slow though so get comfy and lay in plenty of snacks and adult beverages

Thanks for all the support, likes and comments

Alan

Thats looking really nice  -  certainly  taking shape now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Those inside curves look like a real bear to lay your blocks into.

You work for P&W?

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thats looking really nice  -  certainly  taking shape now.

OC.

Thank you OC. This build is going much better than the Rochelle Towers. All the feedback and help and likes keeps morale up and actually I think its easier to see progress on this one. I'm still keen to push ahead instead of sticking it out of sight for a while

Alan

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Those inside curves look like a real bear to lay your blocks into.

You work for P&W?

I'm not looking forward to those inside curves. I foresee a lot of custom filing in my future.

I work for Rolls-Royce supporting the Lift System that bolts to the P+W engine. Liftfan, swivel duct and roll system. All the unconventional stuff. 

Alan

What a really cool project Alan!  Great job so far.  8500 bricks??  I have been dreading coppering the hull of my Pegasus, but maybe I should feel lucky!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 2/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, AJohnson said:

Very impressive looking Alan, you have the patience of a Saint! 😇

Thank you very much Andrew. Its quite restful adding the blocks and seeing the walls grow but shaping the blocks does require a bit of determination to continue

Alan

On 2/13/2023 at 2:39 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

What a really cool project Alan!  Great job so far.  8500 bricks??  I have been dreading coppering the hull of my Pegasus, but maybe I should feel lucky!

Thank you Mike

I'm looking forward to the landscaping. The bag of blocks has become noticeable lighter. I'm hoping that I have enough. So far morale is holding up but I'm not looking forward to building the inner walls next.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't given up on this project but time to work on it has become rather scarce. That part time consulting role has become a sixty hour week working all seven days. So I'm doing a lot more of this

sdd_f135_007.jpg.3118823046802017177d6f97b1b2022b.jpg

instead of adding blocks to the Castillo Loarre. It has had the effect of recharging my interest and I'm looking forward to getting back into this in the near future.

So, apologies for the lack of progress and updates. I hardly have time to check a few threads and as usual be amazed at what everyone is doing. I'm also jealous of course. At least I hope to pass on the benefits of working to Sprue Brothers shortly.

Alan

I hear  you  brother  -  similar  with  me with  real life  has a habbit  of getting in the  way.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Canute said:

New B-52 engines?

14 hours ago, CDW said:

There must be one of those jet engine test stands at or around Tampa International Airport. Every now and again, I can hear the jet engines being tested.

We are out in the swamp at the Pratt and Whitney test facility at West Palm Beach. This is the F35B STOVL engine. You can see the unusual vertically mounted inlet. That's on top of the Liftfan for vertical thrust. I'm the photo it's running in conventional more at full AB but I have one in STOVL with the nozzle bent down.  

On still nights I can hear it at home 25 miles away but the alligators don't seen to mind.

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I hear  you  brother  -  similar  with  me with  real life  has a habbit  of getting in the  way.

Yep, suddenly I'm working full time,trying to get a few house projects done and troy off to various appointments. It will make model time more precious when it comes around again

Alan

Should have spotted the vertical inlet. Doh! 😁

Ken

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Alan, I hope you are okay and not being worked into the dust!

Hope you have time to get back to your Castle one day! 

As hot as it has been lately, Alan may be second-guessing his decision to move to Florida. Feels-like temperature will reach 110+ today according to the forecast. Humidity is terrible.

Just like you, I have been wondering how Alan is doing and hope all is well.