Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

An interesting project Alan and looks like great fun.  You're starting out nicely and I look forward to seeing more.  8600 bricks - holy cow!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

18 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Found another  interesting  link  for   you  -  think they  do  tours  there?

Also   found  some figures  they  are  1/150  scale  but that  is  kind of close  to 1/200  - 

OC.

https://castletourist.com/castillo-de-loarre/

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/mid-european-557-c.asp

Thank you very much OC. The Loarre castle tour site is very helpful especially the drone video clips help a lot with the surrounding scenery. They also show that Aedes Ars got the basic layout correct. The outer wall I am working on looks exactly right. You have also solved one issue too. The photos and videos do show the stone as a warm creamy tan colour (limestone?) so the blocks are close to the correct colour and will not need any further tinting.

The Pendraken site is also very helpful. If my arithmetic is correct 10mm is only 1 mm taller than 1/200 scale so will work very nicely. Actually I think some of the doorways on the model are a bit overscale probably driven by the limitations of the block sizes.

Thanks again

Alan

3 hours ago, FriedClams said:

An interesting project Alan and looks like great fun.  You're starting out nicely and I look forward to seeing more.  8600 bricks - holy cow!

Gary

Thank you Gary

Its a lot of blocks but I hope to break up the repetitive stuff by playing with the other elements of the kit and probably some short side projects that don't involve masses of sanding and filing.

Alab

The walls are continuing to rise and I have been thinking as I sand the piles of blocks ready to add more tiers. The Pendraken link from @Old Collingwood sparked my imagination and I have ordered some pikemen for the walls and mounted soldiers riding up the ramp to the main castle. My only concern is that their size may draw attention to the block size but I hope that will not be so obvious once sanded and filled. The kit (I think) represents the current state of the castle but it seems to be largely representative of the medieval days. if not, well then the figures must be reenactors.

I also decided to try to light the main castle. To that end I have started to build the formers for the building so I can see how the lights will have to be installed and precautions that might be needed to prevent light leaking where it shouldn't. There seems to be sources of warm white and yellow flickering leds both from Evans lighting site referenced on this site and possibly more dubiously from Amazon. More investigation needed.

Thanks for looking in and for the comments and support. I hope everyone has a great weekend

Alan

32 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thank you very much OC. The Loarre castle tour site is very helpful especially the drone video clips help a lot with the surrounding scenery. They also show that Aedes Ars got the basic layout correct. The outer wall I am working on looks exactly right. You have also solved one issue too. The photos and videos do show the stone as a warm creamy tan colour (limestone?) so the blocks are close to the correct colour and will not need any further tinting.

The Pendraken site is also very helpful. If my arithmetic is correct 10mm is only 1 mm taller than 1/200 scale so will work very nicely. Actually I think some of the doorways on the model are a bit overscale probably driven by the limitations of the block sizes.

Thanks again

Alan

Glad  I could Help  Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Having decided to light the castillo  decided I needed to get a sense of how the model was all going to look as a whole and where the lights would go and how many etc. So I built up the cardboard formers for the mian structure. 

2090857781_RIMG1780(1280x960).jpg.e5974c0f20482751a5296084000c7684.jpg

721538_RIMG1781(1280x960).jpg.4a1fe09b7decc685d956f7f83865201e.jpg

This is the first level. Another level will go on top but the lights will need to be installed before the roof is added. There is plenty of room to cut a hole in the floor for wires to run through. Having not done this before I am not sure how many leds will be needed and whether I should try to build some interior walls to separate some of the lights. I will get a handful and experiment. There is quite a bit of time before we get to that part of the build. I have read a lot of lighting builds having problems with light bleed through. I think it could be possible with this if there are chinks in the blocks in the wrong place so I think I might tape all the joints and then spray the interior with black primer.

I placed the main castle in its approximate place on the base and it shows there will be plenty of room to route the lighting wires and also the amount of landscaping that will be needed

563747324_RIMG1773(1280x960).jpg.7b9114bccbb555627a9b66f9cd77b91d.jpg

1987937545_RIMG1774(1280x960).jpg.43b1311ebabcf83101dd06e209bc0e2b.jpg

The main castle will have the blocks added as a separate module so I can work on that on my usual bench which will be more comfortable especially if summer has arrived by then.

Meanwhile the walls are creeping forward. I am turning the corner at the next round tower onto the next section of wall. I started sanding the first round tower and its taking shape as the edges of the blocks sand away.

Thanks for looking in and all the likes and helpful comments

Alan

RIMG1785 (1280x960).jpg

RIMG1786 (1280x960).jpg

Looking Great It  will  look  Superb  and  be  such  a  focal  point  when  finished  -  hope  you have a  tiny  pointing trowel  and  will  be  pointing  correctly😊

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:14 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Looking Great It  will  look  Superb  and  be  such  a  focal  point  when  finished  -  hope  you have a  tiny  pointing trowel  and  will  be  pointing  correctly😊

OC

Thank you OC, I hope it will look better once the sanding starts; some of the gaps will close up. There will need to be some serious sanding though - fitting the blocks around some of the compound curves is a bit challenging. I've started saving the sanding dust to make mortar. 

Alan

I'm still moving slowly along with the walls. I've reached the front gate which will be fiddly especially working between the two towers. I've started sanding the completed section of wall; its good for morale seeing the wall clean up. The last section of wall is the highest but the landscape starts to creep in and not all the wall needs to be covered.

1408271503_RIMG1801(1280x960).jpg.9872ad3826c1afabae01f199b71b4854.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the likes

Alan

You're making good progress here Alan and it's looking really nice. 

I applaud your decision to light the interior and it will really bring an extra dimension to the model. I do think you will need to add blocking partitions to limit what the viewer can see and how far into the structure they can see. It has been my experience that lit windows invite viewers to place their eyeball as close as possible to see what's inside.  Card with similar looking block walls printed on them would be great.  Or you could even take photos of a completed section of an exterior wall, stich multiples of them together in software and then print (not glossy, duller the better) and paste them to card stock.  Doesn't need to be high-quality images.  Just thinking out loud.

Keep the updates coming, love it.

Gary   

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 1/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, FriedClams said:

You're making good progress here Alan and it's looking really nice. 

I applaud your decision to light the interior and it will really bring an extra dimension to the model. I do think you will need to add blocking partitions to limit what the viewer can see and how far into the structure they can see. It has been my experience that lit windows invite viewers to place their eyeball as close as possible to see what's inside.  Card with similar looking block walls printed on them would be great.  Or you could even take photos of a completed section of an exterior wall, stich multiples of them together in software and then print (not glossy, duller the better) and paste them to card stock.  Doesn't need to be high-quality images.  Just thinking out loud.

Keep the updates coming, love it.

Gary   

Thank you very much Gary.

I will be using your ideas to create partitions in the lower part of the building. All the windows and doors in the upper part (above the horizontal line in the photos will be in separate upper floor rooms so they should be taken care of. The doors on both levels will need to be thought about though. They are very big and easy to see into. Maybe partly open doors and a black or walled partition might work. I have plenty of time to experiment a I build up the outer walls, Next update when I get to the main gate - hopefully soon

Alan

What  I love about this  build  -  it  hits  on a  subject  that  I love  as I always loved  castles,  when I was a a kid  my dad took me to see a  English Civil War   reinactment  battle  at a castle  -  I was  completely  stunned  by  it all.

I always  wanted to  build  a  dio  of what I saw  in the flesh  -  but  I never saw a  kit  of the  castle.

This  is a video  of the  event and castle I went  to   -

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Warwick+Castle+siege&t=ffab&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8ew_dIUGegQ

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

What  I love about this  build  -  it  hits  on a  subject  that  I love  as I always loved  castles,  when I was a a kid  my dad took me to see a  English Civil War   reinactment  battle  at a castle  -  I was  completely  stunned  by  it all.

I always  wanted to  build  a  dio  of what I saw  in the flesh  -  but  I never saw a  kit  of the  castle.

This  is a video  of the  event and castle I went  to   -

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Warwick+Castle+siege&t=ffab&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8ew_dIUGegQ

OC.

I'm a fan of old castles which is what drew me into these kits.whenever I go back to North Wales I insist on visiting at least one cadtle, either the Edward First ones of Conwy, Harlech, Beaumaris, Caernarfon or the Welsh castles of Dolbadarn or Dolwyddelan. I'm December I was lucky enough to visit Caernarfon on a cold rainy day and with my cousin we were the only visitors. It was great, spiral stairways, gloomy passages and lots of atmosphere. If Aedes Ars ever make a Welsh castle kit I'll at the front of the line with my credit card

Alan

I'm still working slowly along the outer walls, The round towers tend to slow things down as most of the blocks require sanding to fit. Only two more round towers to complete on the outer walls.  Today I reached the main gate, The kit has preformed keystone shapes for the arch but they still need a bit of filing. The gateway was quite fiddly and not helped by the limited access caused by the adjacent towers. The stones above the arch are a bit ragged but they will look better after some attention with a sanding dust / glue mix. At least the tiers remained level as they crossed the archway. 

710635998_RIMG1803(1280x689).jpg.d3a8cc3f6c95673e0f0968ef457a5cd9.jpg

I'm starting to plan out the lighting. That looks like it might be a bit more complicated that I first thought but still very workable as long as its planned in advance.

So work to date

1506538901_RIMG1804(1280x757).jpg.ce78206ede6b708d2a301fc37e37b2c4.jpg

And to break up the tedium of watching the walls slowly grow. This is Dolbadarn Castle in North Wales. A medieval Welsh castle at the head of the pass into the mountains

1409822756_RIMG0006(1280x960).jpg.c8e4ac80b988942044938dc4b69efe86.jpg

1399229682_RIMG0008(1280x960).thumb.jpg.e491035da7329f74f0fa09d4a7fd7b84.jpg

1456607758_RIMG0015(1280x960).thumb.jpg.4c1cac27d252df429e3344901eefd489.jpg

Thanks for looking in and for all the likes and comments

Alan

Keep up  this  great work Alan,   I know  its a bit tedious  with all  those stone  blocks  but boy  its  so  worth  it  -  they  look  so like the real  thing.

Some  nice  castle pics  also  - there  something special  about the atmosphere  in/around a castle   -  love them.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Keep up  this  great work Alan,   I know  its a bit tedious  with all  those stone  blocks  but boy  its  so  worth  it  -  they  look  so like the real  thing.

Some  nice  castle pics  also  - there  something special  about the atmosphere  in/around a castle   -  love them.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. This is turning out to be much more enjoyable than the Towers of Rochelle. Working on the bigger tower was soul destroying. I was adding bricks but nothing seemed to be happening. Castillo Loarre has more elements which are generally smaller so I can see progress - even if its not a very exciting spectator sport. I think it will look good as a finished model especially with lights and figures.

Thanks for the support

Alan

5 hours ago, Waitoa said:

Looking good, appreciate how much fun it is prepping all the stones, I think you are doing a great job

Thank you Waitoa

The build is enjoyable but I wish there was an elf that visited the garage overnight and squared off and chamfered the blocks for the following day

Alan

I'm working along the next wall and round tower. One more round tower and I reach the part of the wall that is partly covered by the hillside so it doesn't get completely covered in brickwork.

Today has been spent playing with ideas for the lighting and mapping the wire runs in the main structure. The upper floor is complicated and I was thinking about adding the cardboard formers before placing the upper floor in place but I think that might cause problems because I think some of the walls have to be covered in blocks before other walls are added. That part of the build is going to be very interesting.

Today more wall building but I also continued shaping the towers and added a filling mix of sanding dust and diluted white glue to the gateway. This now needs to be rubbed back to bring the blockwork back into view but it already looks better. The arch needs more tidying but I will probably wait until the other side is in place so it can be matched.

1985062358_RIMG1808(1280x960).jpg.044b86dd0d1ffb0ca7c2da7b45e32130.jpg

737437824_RIMG1809(1280x960).jpg.5e0ab4d4e832ce99c9f7161a86a47d12.jpg

Thanks for looking in and all the likes and support

To borrow @mtaylor tag line The wood might be patient but the stones are glacial

Sorry Mark

Alan

Great progress Alan - looking very good.  Even though you've still more work to do on them, shaping the towers and adding the fill already makes a big difference.  And thanks for sharing the Welsh castle photos.  Beautiful countryside.

Gary  

Completed Scratch Builds

Love the work and the revised tag line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Great progress Alan - looking very good.  Even though you've still more work to do on them, shaping the towers and adding the fill already makes a big difference.  And thanks for sharing the Welsh castle photos.  Beautiful countryside.

Gary  

Thank you very much Gary

It does tend to look a bit rough at first and then you sand and shape a bit and suddenly it starts to look like it might all come together.

I love the Welsh mountain countryside and the castles are spectacular

Alan

7 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Great progress Alan, I know you won't be leaving it on but I like the look of the filler areas, that first picture almost looks like you have the remains of lime-work/plaster left on the walls - a very Mediterranean look to it! 😎

Thank you Andrew

I had the same feeling when I started sanding it down. Unfortunately it will all get sanded off to reveal the bricks again. I was a bit heavy handed in places. 

Alan

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Wow, what a great looking model Alan.

You know, the more I think about it, you may be revealing something about the mystery of how the great pyramids and other ancient world wonders were constructed...by a yet unidentified gigantic scale modeler from the ancient past. You are handling those huge stones with ease. 🙂  

Thank you Craig

I had previously read that the answer to how the huge blocks of the pyramids were moved in place was --- whips!

I think you may well be onto something though. Curiously Aedes Ars also make a model of Stonehenge - another construction of huge blocks that continues to challenge the experts. Maybe Aedes Ars know something!

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

Thank you Craig

I had previously read that the answer to how the huge blocks of the pyramids were moved in place was --- whips!

I think you may well be onto something though. Curiously Aedes Ars also make a model of Stonehenge - another construction of huge blocks that continues to challenge the experts. Maybe Aedes Ars know something!

Alan

Have you ever read the story about the Coral Castle and its mysterious builder? It's one of those things that makes you scratch your head, that's for sure. 

Coral Castle Museum

15 hours ago, CDW said:

Have you ever read the story about the Coral Castle and its mysterious builder? It's one of those things that makes you scratch your head, that's for sure. 

Coral Castle Museum

I’ve heard of it!  I was planning to take the family when on holiday in south Florida a few years back, but change of plans when one of the “Windy” events you have there - made an unwelcome appearance 🌀 Thought better of venturing out. 🤣.

22 hours ago, CDW said:

Coral Castle Museum

Thank you Craig. Thats an intriguing story and an new place to visit.

Alan