Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

On 7/5/2023 at 2:48 AM, AJohnson said:

Hi Alan, I hope you are okay and not being worked into the dust!

Hope you have time to get back to your Castle one day! 

Hi Andrew

Thank you for the good wishes. All is well but work has been overwhelming. The promised 20 hours a week has been 45 - 50 hours partly as we have been doing crash investigation testing which always has the whips out for progress. I think we are coming to the end of it now and I hope to be a lot more active here. I've read some of the builds and am green with envy. Some wonderful stuff out there.

Regards

Alan

On 7/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, CDW said:

As hot as it has been lately, Alan may be second-guessing his decision to move to Florida. Feels-like temperature will reach 110+ today according to the forecast. Humidity is terrible.

Just like you, I have been wondering how Alan is doing and hope all is well.

Hi Craig

This is really shaping up to be a hot summer. Working out on the test stand is miserable especially when the sun has warmed up the metal surfaces. Thankfully most of the time I'm in the air conditioned control rooms which are cooled to the point of needing a fleece jacket at times.

I'm hoping to be back on the site a bit more regularly now as testing slows down. Its been frustrating watching time drift away doing real world tasks.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Alan

After a shamefully long absence I'm back and hoping to make regular appearances again. Work has been very intrusive and eaten up far too much modelling time. Helping a friend through surgery has used up what was left of my waking hours. Hopefully both are coming to a conclusion in a positive way shortly

sdd_f135_020.jpg.d9645aed2a2b9f3140dca722baccd78d.jpg

This is what I've been spending far too much time dealing with. This is the F-35B engine in Powered Lift mode; nozzle down and Liftfan engaged. Its not in afterburner but you can still see the shock diamonds from the exhaust. AB is not supposed to be engaged in Powered Lift but we have done it accidently and it really cooks the concrete

The one slight benefit of all this work stuff is a bump in the piggy bank. Most is going off to pay for boring stuff like replacement water pipes in the house and repainting the exterior

I have used the opportunity to add to the kits on the shelf (and in the cupboard and under the bed etc)

RIMG1826x.thumb.jpg.1197456ca2b10dfac082b0bb53885678.jpg

RIMG1827x.thumb.JPG.05cab642bfcd0838f052dd9e6784159c.JPG

RIMG1828x.thumb.JPG.c6ba3aad7ca81130b6fe4de5def03482.JPG

I quite fancy another Wingnut Wings kit before they disappear forever but I'm not sure I am good enough to do them justice. I've also been looking for the Flyhawk Iron Duke ship model kit but the only place I can find it is Squadron and I seem to recall mixed reviews about them. Anyone got any recent experience since they absorbed Freetime.

So back to the Castillo Loarre. I try to be a little done when I have an hour spare. Although the pace is glacial it actually lends itself to this sort of attention. The sessions are far too short to get fed up with endlessly shaping the bricks. The inside of the circular towers are really tedious to do and smoothing them out afterwards is a bit challenging, Thats where the deep sockets in the background come in. I have stuck sandpaper onto them and they fit onto the tower and can be rotated to clean up the interior walls. The short sessions are handy in another way. The work is all done reaching across the baseboard and the old back gets a bit cross about that after a while.

The lack of time has meant my plan to complete the curtain walls before the hot weather arrived has failed but a desk fan on the workbench is keeping things tolerable in the garage. At least nothing is light enough to blow away on this project.

So, this is where I am now

RIMG1829x.thumb.JPG.69d150c32b06b076998e532646d1522e.JPG

RIMG1830x.thumb.jpg.96ae4e05762d0378fadad19c66f36020.jpg

RIMG1831x.thumb.JPG.a8c2157511e3cd33236240f6ca138c53.JPG

RIMG1832x.thumb.JPG.5257de584fc68b99916e854a3b589f3d.JPG

Only 2 and a half towers left and enthusiasm is still there to make it to the end. Then I can switch to other bits of the model; the main building and the lighting.

Sorry its been a while but thank you for stopping by.

Alan

Great to see you back and at the workbench, Alan.   I'm looking forward to seeing more work on this as it' already looks impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to see you back at it, Alan. Castle is coming along nicely.

One hint on that Amodel Yak. The fit is how can I say, challenging. I started a Yak-28 Firebar interceptor and stopped with the engine nacelles awaiting fitting to the wings. The weapons are kind of dodgy,too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Great to see you back and at the workbench, Alan.   I'm looking forward to seeing more work on this as it' already looks impressive.

Thank you <ark; I miss the inspiration and interaction on this site. There are some great artists here

Alan

29 minutes ago, Canute said:

Good to see you back at it, Alan. Castle is coming along nicely.

One hint on that Amodel Yak. The fit is how can I say, challenging. I started a Yak-28 Firebar interceptor and stopped with the engine nacelles awaiting fitting to the wings. The weapons are kind of dodgy,too.

Thank you Ken

Good to know that about the Yak kit. I got a bit carried away ordering from a Ukraine based seller on eBay. As usual I was attracted to the unusual. Excellent seller too. About ten days from Kiev to Florida. The Dora Wings kits look very nice. I haven't looked at the rest yet. I want to try a bare metal finish soon so this might be a good donor for a learning experience. Expectations dialled down on all fronts for this one.

Alan

9 hours ago, king derelict said:

I think we are coming to the end of it now and I hope to be a lot more active here.

GOOD NEWS!!! Brother...

You've been missed, welcome home....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 7/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, king derelict said:

After a shamefully long absence I'm back and hoping to make regular appearances again. Work has been very intrusive and eaten up far too much modelling time. Helping a friend through surgery has used up what was left of my waking hours. Hopefully both are coming to a conclusion in a positive way shortly

sdd_f135_020.jpg.d9645aed2a2b9f3140dca722baccd78d.jpg

This is what I've been spending far too much time dealing with. This is the F-35B engine in Powered Lift mode; nozzle down and Liftfan engaged. Its not in afterburner but you can still see the shock diamonds from the exhaust. AB is not supposed to be engaged in Powered Lift but we have done it accidently and it really cooks the concrete

The one slight benefit of all this work stuff is a bump in the piggy bank. Most is going off to pay for boring stuff like replacement water pipes in the house and repainting the exterior

I have used the opportunity to add to the kits on the shelf (and in the cupboard and under the bed etc)

RIMG1826x.thumb.jpg.1197456ca2b10dfac082b0bb53885678.jpg

RIMG1827x.thumb.JPG.05cab642bfcd0838f052dd9e6784159c.JPG

RIMG1828x.thumb.JPG.c6ba3aad7ca81130b6fe4de5def03482.JPG

I quite fancy another Wingnut Wings kit before they disappear forever but I'm not sure I am good enough to do them justice. I've also been looking for the Flyhawk Iron Duke ship model kit but the only place I can find it is Squadron and I seem to recall mixed reviews about them. Anyone got any recent experience since they absorbed Freetime.

So back to the Castillo Loarre. I try to be a little done when I have an hour spare. Although the pace is glacial it actually lends itself to this sort of attention. The sessions are far too short to get fed up with endlessly shaping the bricks. The inside of the circular towers are really tedious to do and smoothing them out afterwards is a bit challenging, Thats where the deep sockets in the background come in. I have stuck sandpaper onto them and they fit onto the tower and can be rotated to clean up the interior walls. The short sessions are handy in another way. The work is all done reaching across the baseboard and the old back gets a bit cross about that after a while.

The lack of time has meant my plan to complete the curtain walls before the hot weather arrived has failed but a desk fan on the workbench is keeping things tolerable in the garage. At least nothing is light enough to blow away on this project.

So, this is where I am now

RIMG1829x.thumb.JPG.69d150c32b06b076998e532646d1522e.JPG

RIMG1830x.thumb.jpg.96ae4e05762d0378fadad19c66f36020.jpg

RIMG1831x.thumb.JPG.a8c2157511e3cd33236240f6ca138c53.JPG

RIMG1832x.thumb.JPG.5257de584fc68b99916e854a3b589f3d.JPG

Only 2 and a half towers left and enthusiasm is still there to make it to the end. Then I can switch to other bits of the model; the main building and the lighting.

Sorry its been a while but thank you for stopping by.

Alan

Its  good   to see   you back  Alan,   loving your  new  stash  and  the  work  on  your castle  is  still  looking super  nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

19 hours ago, Egilman said:

GOOD NEWS!!! Brother...

You've been missed, welcome home....

Thank you EG

I have a lot of enjoyable reading on here to catch up with and I hope I will be able to move along with the castle too. Completing that last tower will be a major milestone.

Alan

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Its  good   to see   you back  Alan,   loving your  new  stash  and  the  work  on  your castle  is  still  looking super  nice.

OC.

Thank you OC. There is a lot of grinding and sanding ahead but its still enjoyable although I am fretting to get started on the lighting and painting figures etc.

Alan

Hey Alan, hope you have enough blocks!  

Nice haul on the new kits by the way.  I've always loved the looks of the Ryuho.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey Alan, hope you have enough blocks!  

Nice haul on the new kits by the way.  I've always loved the looks of the Ryuho.

Thank you Mike

I'm hoping the towers will use much less blocks. The curtain walls really soaked them up but the walls are quite a big area and have to be built up on both sides. Everything else will be a single outer layer. 

I'm enjoying the castle build but really look forward to getting back into the variety and detail of a plastic kit. The problem will be choice!

Alan

Yesterday P+W authorised pulling the engine for a couple of months maintenance so apart from a few hours here and there tying up loose ends I'm resigning from the real world for a while. Today felt like that first day of the long summer school holiday. Scrub the shower? Weed the garden? Wash the car? No, I decided that it was time to spend a while with Castillo Loarre. 

I managed to lay don a decent number of blocks and the towers are slowly filling up. I've found its actually quicker to file the blocks for the round sections by hand instead of using the angled piece of the shooting board. There's quite a bit of sanding and tidying up ahead and the pictures look a bit ugly because I've painted on a mortar mix from the sanding dust in some places

RIMG1837x.thumb.jpg.692e6542e1e45830975d4af0a39dddac.jpg

RIMG1838x.thumb.jpg.fcf4d65ca0b2c8c125c11a7373de43fe.jpg

A little thinking ahead would have been helpful. I should have photocopied the printed formers for the section of the walls that will be disappearing into the landscape and used it as a guide on the inside of the wall. Instead I used the outside wall as a guide and created a set of patterns 

RIMG1833x.thumb.jpg.18ae039efbe3c7eefca66e060e57ee9d.jpg

They don't really need to be exact because the landscape will cover the first row of blocks. I made the patterns out of thin card and I hope the edge will help locate the first rows of blocks in place somewhat positively. The patterns were glued in place and it is a bit of a morale boost to realise that only about half the last wall need to be covered. Shame that last tower is so high

RIMG1834x.thumb.JPG.3485dcc230c26ba6f24cdeb84c9abd08.JPG

Thanks for looking in and all the support. Some fun stuff around the corner. Lighting the main tower should be interesting. I have never done anything like that and will be looking for tips. I plan to use yellow flickering leds but have to work out how to mount them and route the wiring off the model.

I hope everyone has a great weekend

Alan

20 hours ago, king derelict said:

Yesterday P+W authorised pulling the engine for a couple of months maintenance so apart from a few hours here and there tying up loose ends I'm resigning from the real world for a while. Today felt like that first day of the long summer school holiday. Scrub the shower? Weed the garden? Wash the car? No, I decided that it was time to spend a while with Castillo Loarre. 

I managed to lay don a decent number of blocks and the towers are slowly filling up. I've found its actually quicker to file the blocks for the round sections by hand instead of using the angled piece of the shooting board. There's quite a bit of sanding and tidying up ahead and the pictures look a bit ugly because I've painted on a mortar mix from the sanding dust in some places

RIMG1837x.thumb.jpg.692e6542e1e45830975d4af0a39dddac.jpg

RIMG1838x.thumb.jpg.fcf4d65ca0b2c8c125c11a7373de43fe.jpg

A little thinking ahead would have been helpful. I should have photocopied the printed formers for the section of the walls that will be disappearing into the landscape and used it as a guide on the inside of the wall. Instead I used the outside wall as a guide and created a set of patterns 

RIMG1833x.thumb.jpg.18ae039efbe3c7eefca66e060e57ee9d.jpg

They don't really need to be exact because the landscape will cover the first row of blocks. I made the patterns out of thin card and I hope the edge will help locate the first rows of blocks in place somewhat positively. The patterns were glued in place and it is a bit of a morale boost to realise that only about half the last wall need to be covered. Shame that last tower is so high

RIMG1834x.thumb.JPG.3485dcc230c26ba6f24cdeb84c9abd08.JPG

Thanks for looking in and all the support. Some fun stuff around the corner. Lighting the main tower should be interesting. I have never done anything like that and will be looking for tips. I plan to use yellow flickering leds but have to work out how to mount them and route the wiring off the model.

I hope everyone has a great weekend

Alan

Some  more  good  progress  thare  Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, CDW said:

I sure am glad this hot Florida sun, heat, and humidity didn't short-circuit your ability to make wise decisions. 😄 Happy to see you're back on the modeling trail, Alan! 

Thank you Craig. Its good to be back. It sounds like I have two / three months of leisure before the engine comes back to Florida. Time to get a few things built hopefully. The pile of new kits is gaining on me.

Alan

A bit of backward progress first. The camera has a great knack of pointing out defects. After looking at the photos I wasn't happy with the walls to the left of the gate. I hadn't set a block down carefully enough and it had caused the tiers of the wall to sag down in the middle and the wall on the far left had a block on the bottom row that I hadn't smoothed enough and that was affecting the subsequent layers. So it has all been torn down and rebuilt and I think looks better. The glue holds well but does allow painless disassembly; just need to remove the glue residue. 

After sorting all that out work progressed pretty well. I have started building up the last tower above the template that indicates the level the landscape will come up to.

RIMG1839.thumb.JPG.a556a29f49013f60c14f0f34e3ca3139.JPG

RIMG1840.thumb.JPG.40e026e7898c25e15648d8b38c06db16.JPG

RIMG1841x.thumb.jpg.d1c0e55fd8e48e45003def59d1ccd637.jpg

There are a few more sessions needed but the end feels like its in sight and enthusiasm is still high. I'm starting to think that I will take a break once the outer walls are complete. Maybe work on a couple of small 1/72 aircraft as a change in pace and then come back to the towers and landscape. That feels like a natural breakpoint and a chance to clean toe garage work bench up from all the dust that's been made so far

Thanks for all the support and likes. Hopefully some steady progress this week.

Alan

On 7/17/2023 at 3:05 PM, king derelict said:

This would make an interesting subject for a Typhoon model

C769F61E-6746-48E3-9472-858BB786B239_IMG_8472.thumb.jpeg.3014faa1ce7af3386eeaf37f65cfcc30.jpeg

Alan

Yup:

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/revell-eurofighter-typhoon-black-jack-1-48-scale-rvg-03820/

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

14 hours ago, king derelict said:

Thank you Craig. Its good to be back. It sounds like I have two / three months of leisure before the engine comes back to Florida. Time to get a few things built hopefully. The pile of new kits is gaining on me.

Alan

Once two or three months go past, it won't be as hot and humid as it is now. Glad to see you back and at the bench doing great things. Great fun things that is. 

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Once two or three months go past, it won't be as hot and humid as it is now. Glad to see you back and at the bench doing great things. Great fun things that is. 

Thanks Craig

Crawling down the aluminium inlet ducts in the afternoon dressed in a Tyvek bunny suit to do fan inspections has been a bit of a trial lately. It will be great to not be doing it in August. 

I'm definitely enjoying being back at the work bench and with the end of the walls in sight the enthusiasm is high.

Alan

I've managed to spend a bit more time adding blacks and suddenly I seem to be getting close to the end of the outer walls.

RIMG1843x.thumb.jpg.a47f71b15fd66ed2fcf0ddebf282ca03.jpgRIMG1844x.thumb.jpg.133c24c8e90cfec6768bf4f47de98bb8.jpgRIMG1845x.thumb.jpg.90a15efc5e0e1bacc85c1bdb4816a111.jpg

I've really only got the upper half of the last tower and the wall to be done - and then lots of sanding and filing to get final shapes and smooth the walls down. I'm trying to decide how rough to leave the walls. It's an 11th century construction so a perfect smooth finish seems inappropriate. I had a peek at the instructions (well more of a simple guide really) and it shows the last wall covered in blocks all the way to the base. I had already started on mirroring the outside by then and I confirmed the hill contours are the same on the inside of the walls as the outside so it just seems a waste of blocks. Maybe it adds a bit of stability to the card former but I had been thinking of adding a support along the bottom of the wall from scrap wood or foam anyway.

I hope the next photos will show the finished walls and then a clean up of the bench is in order.

The remaining stock of blocks is looking a bit better than I thought so I'm hopeful I'm not going to run out.

Thanks for looking in and the comments and likes

Have a great weekend all

Alan