USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

9 hours ago, mtbediz said:

Good luck with your Proxxon MF70 (If I understand correctly, you bought the machine). It's a really great tool... I hope you also purchased the vise compatible with this machine. Because you'll need it too.

Yes, got them both, as well as the dividing attachment! 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

12 hours ago, GGibson said:

Yes, got them both, as well as the dividing attachment! 👍

I bought the dividing attachment two years ago too, but I haven't used it even once until today. I hope you get the opportunity to use it. :)

Edited by mtbediz

Your bilge pumps' rocker arms and frames are much simpler and neater than mine and they give the same viewer effect. Well done!

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Your bilge pumps' rocker arms and frames are much simpler and neater than mine and they give the same viewer effect. Well done!

Thank you Jon. While making the details, I greatly benefit from the experiences you shared in your build log. Of course, because the materials and tools we have are different, our ways of making things are also different.

I first made the frames from wood because I didn't have square brass bar.  But I didn't like it very much, it was too rough and far from reality. That's why I remade them from brass wire. I think they look more realistic now.

20240210_122428.jpg

20240211_095747.jpg

20240211_100653.jpg

20240211_100646.jpg

20240211_085652.jpg

20240211_114929.jpg

20240211_115002.jpg

20240211_115802.jpg

20240211_115755.jpg

20240211_122413.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

I tested with the beads I found at home to see how the pump would look when the pieces are put together. I am pleased with the look and hoping the pump will look better once it's painted. I will try to find smaller spherical beads.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

8 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

Those pumps look really good, great job on the metalwork.

Thank you. I don't know the purpose of this spherical assembly in the pump, but it appears to be out of scale in my model. Looks like I'll try to find smaller ones.

26 minutes ago, mtbediz said:

I don't know the purpose of this spherical assembly in the pump,

You may have this picture but it shows a little more detail.

image.png.955a630e619ff479bde2fe7e4f74095a.png

It looks like some copper vessels that allowed for a larger volume of liquid to be discharged as opposed to just the diameter of the main pump body.

image.png.2fe185c908505ca1f22a8eddc4801d7b.png

Another view.  This appears to be a different set of pumps consisting of two pumps.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

According to US Navy Plan No.: BNS 50976, the larger pump has a 16.25" diameter sphere or 0.212" (5.38mm) at scale and the smaller pump sphere is 14.5 " or  0.188" (4.78mm). As indicated in my log, For both size pumps, I used a 5mm diameter “memory wire end cap” which I still don’t know exactly what their original intended purpose was, from the DIY jewelry section of a crafts store. At this scale you can't tell the difference. Your pumps are looking great.

Jon

I don't know exactly what this mechanism does, the anchor chain passes through the hole. It looks like some kind of clamp. These won't be very visible when the model is finished, but I wanted to add them anyway. At least I'll know they are there. 

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

20240216_102635.jpg

20240216_102607.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

1 hour ago, mtbediz said:

I don't know exactly what this mechanism does, the anchor chain passes through the hole. It looks like some kind of clamp.

Those would be early chain stoppers. They do in fact clamp down on the chain (or possibly rope back in Connie's day) to take some of the load off the windlass.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Beautifully done chain stoppers. Too bad nobody but you and God will know they exist on the finished model. We, of course on this build log, get to enjoy them now.

Jon

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Those would be early chain stoppers. They do in fact clamp down on the chain (or possibly rope back in Connie's day) to take some of the load off the windlass.

I also guessed they were stoppers. Thank you for your confirmation.

14 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Beautifully done chain stoppers. Too bad nobody but you and God will know they exist on the finished model. We, of course on this build log, get to enjoy them now.

Jon

Thank you Jon. In fact, I will partly cover the spar deck so that the details on the gun deck can be seen even a little.

Since I don't have a detailed plan, I have to build the ship by looking at the images on the internet. While manufacturing each part, I take the measurements from the model, first draw the manufacturing drawing and produce the parts accordingly.

In this case, I now have to build the gun deck and spar deck together to ensure harmony between them. As a strategy, I chose to start from the bow of the ship and move towards the stern.

To ensure the stability of the ship, three different knees are used between the decks: vertical, horizontal and diagonal. I will need to manufacture each of these knees by taking measurements on the model.

It will be a long and difficult journey. :)

33.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

These US Navy plans may help you.

Jon

50367001 - Knees – Live or White Oak.jpg

25184001_1.jpg

25184001_2.jpg

15644001_1.jpg

15644001_2.jpg

4 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

It's a pleasure following along with your build.  Excellent workmanship as usual.  

Thank you Rentner. It's a pleasure for me to watch your build too.