Coca - Cola FB Freuhauf Trailer by Popeye the Sailor - AMT / Round 2 reissue - 1:25 scale

hey there folks!  finally, I get to pop in to report an update on the project, as well as what I've been up to.  in short, my health is still good......made a major improvement on the leg issues, but one 'small' issue is yet to be tested {I'll leave that one up to the imagination ;) }.  the Murano is inspected and no reappearance of the check engine light..........I am soooooooo stoked!  now to take care of a couple more things I want to do, before 'ole man winter shows up.  another birthday came and went......

birthdaycake.jpg.6bd36a6b314d72c50c52c7e595f6c385.jpg

it's all hype folks..............67 isn't so bad! :)   I hope I feel the same when these numbers are reversed! :unsure:   had a very good day.

so, this brings us to the update.............it's not super huge, but time allowed me to tinker, so I'm not complaining.  I'm not really liking windows 10..........I can't seem to do thing I used to do with windows 8.  the update begins with painting around the front edges of the underside, and installing the approach plate.  I will wait to add the kingpin until later, for fear of knocking it off.

1.jpg.28731786c246d04497482646ef6ebe10.jpg

then I took a look at the tandem dolly and what I would need to do, to install the stop bars.

2.jpg.3dcbfbd246da5e6fb4fdef02f49cd156.jpg

there is one for the back too, that I will need to drill holes for.  the approach plate and the front apron were masked off and painted in the under carriage gray.

3.jpg.d5f6c728ddb6f29c84d4ac4abf576063.jpg

4.jpg.1f215a99f242d352eac4a8fc3e9003c6.jpg

to add the front wall, I had to double up on the posts {ribs}, in order to cover the abnormalities.  I had to allow for how the part was molded.

5.jpg.ebad056e958f84e2a65271a9792cdc3a.jpg

the inner radius on both sides and along the top were painted aluminum, since these areas would be visible.  

6.jpg.f598ce13047a20b4fa051fcddecad002.jpg

the bottom wood panel was added, along with the scuff liner.  molding was added to separate the panel to create a top and bottom.  the use of this molding is optional.........some manufacturers don't use it.  for those who do, when repairs are made and plywood is replaced, if it is damaged, some techs will cut out the bad part and put the replacement panel up without it.  the nice thing about adding this interior detail, is I don't have to be concerned with how it looks.  heck, I might even add in some graffiti, but leave out some of the colorful stuff I've seen.  ;)  EG/example: 'for a good time call.....................' :ph34r:

7.jpg.b4838c05694c15ed180c5dfa51e57991.jpg

8.jpg.a544ae3dd0311ba942cd062198839add.jpg

9.jpg.76d7d498913282520bed8f37a18e913b.jpg

I'm debating whether to hit this with a flat lacquer.  it's really flat and natural as it is, but I will need to add some color to the floor {blend in some grime, drybrush}.

10.jpg.94f9abbec8819df69563d488494e2c7a.jpg

the landing gear was the next aspect to look at.  I'm going to show the model with the legs lowered.........the other one I will do with them raised and attached to the tractor.  I will do the interior differently too.  the wheels that are seen on these legs is an early version.  it was thought to be a smart idea, in the event that the trailer was moved without hooking up to a tractor, or it was jostled while being back under by one.  I'm sure there were many scenarios where the use of wheels would be a plus.  modern trailers utilize a simple plate, or a saucer {or square} dish called a sand shoe.   wheels would often sink into bare ground and would need to either be set on pavement or cement surfaces {square or otherwise}.  the sand shoe changed all that and made the trailer more 'all terrain'.  to arrest the wheels in place so they wouldn't fall off, they either used a bolt pin, or a large pin was driven through the axle.  since trying to emulate a bolt type fastening was impossible for me to do, I went for the pin idea.  holes were drilled through the axles and brass rod was inserted through them after the wheel was put in place. 

11.jpg.afb16154c8d795e646efc33e2456747b.jpg

with this done..........it's time for paint.  I hope to have more for you soon.  I want to get some paint on the body, and get the roof on.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy Birthday, Denis.

The trailer is looking great. I've taken an interest in intermodal railroading, moving trailers on flatcars. Although mine is more 50s-60s. And its in HO, not your large scale build.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Happy Birthday   from me also  Dennis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Happy belated birthday, Denis.  Good news on your health and on the build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Happy belated birthday Denis!  Glad to hear you're doing well :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Happy Birthday Brother....

The insides of the trailer looks good, what are you going to load it with? {chuckle}

The round landing gear wheels are a throwback to earlier days, but their ability to sink into asphalt paving on short notice caused their demise....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 2 weeks later...

hello to all!  nice to see a few new folks looking in....don't be afraid giving insight....that's what MSW is all about :)   it's you new folk that come to the table with different ways of doing stuff  ;)   unfortunately,  I don't have anything new to report,  but I've still been busy.   you ought to post a picture of one of your flat cars with trailers on it Ken.  going out on a limb here,  but this trailer might be suited with G scale.......perhaps a bit larger,  if there is such a scale :)   I don't believe there were 53 foot trailers back then........I think the largest would have been a 48'.  when I started at Wally,  we had 48' and 53' trailers.  they used the 48' trailer for locations that were tight on space.........53' for everything else.  Marcy, New York had the 48' trailers that had air hook ups and electrical in the buck plate {rear}..........I forget the term,  but two trailers could be hooked together.  browsing through web sites,  I've found that many back in the day, used the 48' as a subject.......I believe AMT had a kit featuring two pup trailers {I think they were only 27'}. tankers,  flatbeds,  dry van,  reefers.......maybe a couple others.  quite a few of them are old kits...........I've seen very few 53' trailer kits though......odd?!?  the 'Smokey and the Bandit' trailer being a prime example  ;) 

thanks again for the good vibes.......sorry about not looking in sooner.  I should have something soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch