Westland Whirlwind by Javlin - FINISHED - Classic Airframes - 1/48

Javlin

This is a Nice little kit deserving of build log Resin,PE and Metal LG's to boot.I will be doing the AC on the box art I think it said was involved in Dieppe Raid hence the black/white recognition stripes.I probably have maybe another 3/5 CA kits in the stash to which they build up into nice representations of A/C back 15/20years ago none of the other manufactures wanted to bother with.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

This will be good, I like the Whirlwind, often wondered if it would have done better or was more widely adopted if it had two merlin engines. 🤔

Designed in '38 it was the first cannon armed British aircraft, it was also the fastest thing the RAF had in development... At the time, anything the British could get into the air was being produced, remember this was designed as a bomber killer, they needed rate of climb and raw power more than they needed speed for that role.... Merlins didn't fit that bill besides all the merlin production was spoken for for the next few years given the situation at the time... (it's why they licensed production out to Packard for the P-51)

The RR Pregrine's developed valve problems which lengthened it's development time and as a result only a few were built, barely over 100 of the type and with the success of the Typhoon and Tempest it was decided that the Whirlwind wasn't needed/too costly to manufacture and maintain compared to it's contemporaries.... The type was retired in early '43 in favor of the Typhoon/Tempest line.... (also cannon armed) Think of a P-38 with cannons instead of machine guns for it's effect on a target.... And the Tempest was 60kts faster at sea level as well....

That's what war does, speeds up the development decision policies, there was no time for prolonged development....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

This is about as far as I have gotten so far with most of the resin removed from the pours,washed in soapy warm water and now all to dry overnight.I had items that needed my attention on the other side of the shop mainly 1k rds of 30cal carbine needing assembly.;)

Builds2 001.JPG

Tagging along, I always liked this type.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

They're like Special Airframes now with multi sources of styrene, resin and PE..👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I will have pics later this week everything is painted and sub-assemblies built just orientating the placement since no location pins/lines are present.I tried gluing the panels to the copit base a no go took it back apart.I then glued the L/side to the fuse was too far back took it back apart.I now have the IP glued in place to one side and working from there.;)

Well she has had her moments for me seems everything has to happen 3X times to get it right.The sidewalls I glued to the fuse to get a tight fit along the top ledge but I started by gluing in the IP first to the L/side.This part of the build was 3X in the position of the S/walls which in turn determines the position of the pilot seat,I was always to far back..The canopy framing tells one were the pilot is to be located.I started building the wing as per instructions it offset everything had to rip it apart  and start with the lower center section to the fuse and work my way out.The wings fit OK going to be a little filler but the undersides had a .030" gap about nothing to complicated just another hurdle to overcome.I screw the pooch on the battery tray behind the seat and it whole not budge our break loose just said screw it once it hits the cabinet that's the end of that visual.I am going to finish this guy warts and all.

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

Brit 004.JPG

Brit 005.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

yep, boxtop/instruction sheet colors should be taken with a grain of salt. Good references are the stop for that. I accumulated a decent library of RAF and Luftwaffe a/c, but now many are out of date, thanks to a lot of good research. Your paint job looks good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken I am still a few hours out from finish on this one got LG's,Props,MG's along with the decals.The ScharnHorst is calling methinks been reading, videos and looking over the extras I ordered over the last 1 1/2 years in 1/200 may have to make a station to build it on :hsmack:considering I just threw a station out for the floor cabinet:default_wallbash:

Well the decals were glossed and then flatten with Testors flat took quite a few coats.The LG's are built just a little whittling looks to be in order to fit already tested on one leg.To be honest starting to get a little bored with the build but need to finish and move on.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Your speed is amazing, before I could realize it, you have practically almost finished it.

Nice and clean job,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

2 hours ago, Danstream said:

Your speed is amazing, before I could realize it, you have practically almost finished it.

Dan I try to put in atleast 1/2 hours daily in the office/HR.Thanks for the compliment I did a fair job to the SH 1/32 Tempest a page or two back it looks the brute.:imNotWorthy:

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

Love to see a Classic Airframes kit built.

Thanks Craig while a bit of a challenge at times Craig kinda like a SH kit when finished is rewarding.I am not getting anything done today forgot to put the truck in gear after parking with groceries in both hands exit said truck and it started rolling :rolleyes: The truck ran over my L/ankle and when the door passed my torso it made me do a half flip I feel like I was in a bar room fight sore r/calf bruised r/rear rib l/shoulder and the ankle is Fine?:default_wallbash:

Demons were working last night.😄

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you are fine. 

OK moving along the LG's are in place,antenna and pitot tube which I made out of two different diameters of brass definitely looks more to scale.I had to drill out the locations for 20mm up to make them slow was the game.I am going to repaint part of the nose tonight to make it all blend properly.The props I did as planned drilled the spinner and the blades insert .015 guitar wire and put them together.Shes coming together and actually looking better than I thought it would let's hope no mishaps before the finish line.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

The WhirlWind is finished after sitting in the stash for maybe 20 yrs now.The build followed your typical short-run limited kit poor instructions on parts location and then just fitting like having to dremel and drill out the nose for the barrels :hsmack:Anyway she came out pretty good nothing special but I have added another unusual subject to the cabinet.Thanks for looking in guys sorry for the distraction called life and getting banged up but we tarry on.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

Brit 004.JPG

Brit 005.JPG

Brit 006.JPG

Brit 007.JPG

Well done Sir, Another beauty...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Excellent job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Canute said:

You've turned out another fine piece,

Thanks Ken though not perfect she will pass muster;)

7 hours ago, king derelict said:

Very neat paint job Jav. Great model.

Alan

That was somewhat the  highpoint of the build Alan whilst the  LG fit and having to find end  round's for a short run kit as to fitting parts together for a lasting fit/build.;)

Edited by Javlin