HMS Agamemnon by Sjors - FINISHED - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1:64

I broke Anja her piggybank for the copper  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don't tell her that please.... ;)

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Ummm Sjors? You know she is a moderator here dont you? Perhaps you should be more careful where and to who you make you admissions?  :D

You have been a busy man Sjors, looks great! Your going to cover up all that nice wood with metal???

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Congratulations on the milestone.  She's looking good, Sjors.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice planking job Sjors.  Looking forward seeing the copper going on her.

Cheers

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks everyone.....also for the likes 

@ Sam,

Anja is not reading my log because she has the life version in front of her  :D  :D  :D

And yes, I'm cover up the hull with a few plates....

@ Wayne,

We have a bottle full of copper coins and a melter close by  ;)

@ Ben,

I did not count the copper plates yet but I thought that I read somewhere that it is about 1700 plates......

That also gonna take a few months.

But no rush !

By the time I'm finished with that, maybe I'm retired......

@ Mark and Piet,

Thank you both !

Coppering can take a while because I have to paint her first....

And I believe that it is gonna be around 10 layers of paint ?

Maybe Trussben or Augie or Rusty can answer that  :D  :D  :D

lovely work, it is nice to be following all the same peoples logs again, after being in the plastic world for a while

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I use 10 coats, Ben uses at least 20!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Use as many as needed to get a finish that you are satisfied with, the only reason that I use that many is because I make my paint very thin, therefore it takes a lot of coats to build up the coverage, but the bonus is that you get a very even paint job with no brush marks.

Ben

The paint job is done !!!!!!!!

At the end i know that I have to touch up all the time but ok.

And now we can begin at the next challenge......coppering !

post-48-0-99223400-1407315471_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-03944300-1407315478_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-07243600-1407315483_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-01768800-1407315488_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-44359400-1407315493_thumb.jpg

looks  a very nice base to start that coppering job

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I hope so Kevin,

But the coppering has to wait a little.

I try to figure out what I'm gonna to do with the standard......and work of course.......

I have ordered my rigging elves to arrive in october

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looking real good Sjors,  nice paint job, and congrates on finishing the planking, that's a big job out of the way.

If you use that Velcro to line the jaws of your stand don't put it where the keel fits, it will be to tight, unless you open out the slot.

Planking looks nice and smooth and should take the plates but I would seal the hull first with diluted PVA so that the filler doesn't grab the glue on the plates.

Onwards and Upwards mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice paint job there Sjors. No more putting off the coppering now - on with it! ;)

Looks ready to go!  Coppering will be fun.....to watch!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

nice job in the prep of the hull Sjors.......gonna be a huge task......no doubt about it! looking forward to the start of the copper work! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So here we all sit in anticipation... silently chanting "copper! copper! Go Sjors, Go!!!"  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your comment, tips and trucs and likes !

Coppering.......yep.

I have the feeling that 13982 members are looking over my shoulder how I bring this to an end....

But no pressure !!!!!

I know it's gonna be the first time for me but I have great examples from Mobbsie, Kevin, Lawrence and a few more and of course the help from you all  :D  :D  :D

But all those members has still wait a little longer.

I make the preparations like the diluted PVA and put it on the hull.

I'm also working on the standard.

I don't want to damage all those plates when they are on it. 

So.....when I placed the first plates I'll shall make a picture....but still no pressure !!!! ;)

I have taken the first stap !

The first copperplates are on it......

I thought is was a easy job but that was a mistake.

I have removed now i think about 12 plates....

I was not happy with the result.

But we have the first part.

Please give me your comment on that!

post-48-0-17567700-1407497724_thumb.jpg

I can't comment on these Sjors as I've only ever used the copper tape technique.  In looking at your work I'm assuming they are not meant to overlap at all since the simulated rivets won't allow that?  I'm thinking as long as you keep the seams tight and glue them securely they will be great.  What kind of adhesive are you using?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

That's correct.

They need close to each other otherwise the plates are coming up.

i use glue that I've got from Mobbsie.

He also use it.

Maybe you have to look at the overall picture when it's finished.

Then I can remove the plates that are not correct.

But we will wait for other comment.

I have the late shift again so I have to go to work in one hour...

Hi Sjors,

Looks OK to me mate, don't forget to use an old paint brush handle to rub the edges of the plates where there is a change of angle, for instance where the plates cross from the stern post to the planking and planking to the keel. That way you will get a smooth finish with no sharp edges.

Something else to look out for is that these plates are so thin you sometimes get two plates stuck together, check these before you stick the plates onto the ship.

Augie, Sjors is using a thick CA gel, just a couple of pin head size drops on each plate is enough.

Not bad for a first timer Sjors. :)  :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Sjors.......you started it......that's a commendation all in itself! I've never coppered before, but I've seen them done both ways, and I think they look super! to augment what Augie said, if you chose to overlap them, you probably would have had to flatten one side edge row, and one end row of rivets, so they would sit flush on one another. to do that to over 1,000 rivets, would be a painstaking job indeed! your off to a good start......keep'em straight, and trim where you need.........you'll finish off with a good job indeed!

sorry....couldn't resist :) if I had pom poms, I'd jump up and down and wave them for you! {nawww....I'd just scare the little kids!}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice start on the plates Sjors.....I don't envy your task... that's why I like smaller ships!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

And he's off!...............

Great start Sjors, only a few thousand more to go. :P;)

Go Sjors, Go!!!!  Looking good.  I'd jump up and down and cheer you on but Popeye has the pom-poms. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: