Hello From Saskatchewan

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for allowing me to join this group. Good to be here.

I joined MSW a week ago at the suggestion of another member here, but haven’t gotten around to an intro until now.

I’m a 62 year old retired Deckhand/Deck Officer formerly with the Canadian Coast Guard of the Federal Government of Canada. I was at that career for 35 years and 4 months.

Born and raised on the coast of British Columbia, I currently live in Warman, Saskatchewan (just North of Saskatoon). I moved here in 2016 for family reasons.

I am essentially a beginner scale modeler. Here is my modeling story, hopefully in brief…….

I just recently finished my first completed scale model build in 50+ years. I had finally gotten around to checking out THE hobby store here in Saskatoon 5 years after moving here. It was an unplanned opportunistic visit. Walked out with an Academy 1/400 Titanic and another much simpler non ship model. That was in June 2022. Both models sat untouched all of last winter.

The non ship model was purchased mainly for a nostalgic reason and is yet to be built. I’ll be starting that one soon and I intend to post a build log for that in the Non-Ship forum. There is more than just the nostalgic reason for that build now. It will be a great model to develop skills. Detail painting and airbrushing in particular.

As for the recently “completed” kit….that would be the 1/400 Titanic. I started it in early November and “completed” it mid January. I will post some pictures and text about it in the Completed Gallery soon.

In the meantime, I just want to say that I started that model without any prior research or a plan. Just dove in, having no idea what to expect after a 50+ year hiatus from plastic scale modeling. It is also the most complex plastic scale model I have ever attempted, by far. I was somewhat disappointed with it, in the end. I attribute this to two aspects. My skill level (essentially a green as grass beginner) and the model itself as manufactured (historical inaccuracies; fit issues; and fine detail painting required where I would have preferred parts to attach).

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the process and want another crack at it. Therefore, I’m going bigger. I’ve purchased the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic. It arrived yesterday 😊. I have read the pinned article “For Beginners – A Cautionary Tale”. I intend to not give up. Many lessons already learned from the 1/400 build, and many many more lessons to come, and learn, and skills to develop. I’ve been researching the 1/200 quite a bit, the last two weeks. I am already aware that it too has inaccuracies. Some of which I will deal with, whereas others I will accept as is. But I digress. This build will not start for quite some time. I will begin a build log on that project when the time comes, but in the meantime I intend to focus on much smaller and simpler builds to develop my lacking skills.

One final note….a brother of mine gave me a Corel 1/25 “Sloup”, Modello SM 43, wooden kit as a Christmas gift some 25+ years ago. It is a model of a small French F/V. I still have it. I actually started it, way back, but then after three rows of the planking done, I got to the difficult task of needing to bend the next rows for the hull’s buttock lines where they meet the transom. I tried, but eventually gave up. I learned years later that there’s more to it than simply holding and bending said planks in the steam of a boiling kettle of water, as the instructions indicated.

I also learned on this site that difficulty with planking is the single most deterrent to a wooden ship modeler from continuing. That is actually comforting to now know. But I digress. Point being I intend to continue and complete this kit as well, but that’s a few years down the road.

Again, thank you very much for the privilege. I look forward to learning many aspects and techniques of scale modeling from the wealth of expertise here.

Cheers,

Mark Meester

Edited by MisterMeester
Edited one sentence. Word added.

A very warm welcome to you Mark, very nice intro.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the forum!

Your comment about bending planks was interesting.

Some steam, some soak, some "iron"... but it shouldn't be that difficult to do.

I hope you have an opportunity to try again with the help of this group!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Mark, a warm :sign:

Wow, going 1:400 scale to 1:200 scale is a huge step.
Will it be a Trumpeter kit?

Cheers

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

" Mark Meester "

A typical Flemish or Dutch name.
Are you sure you live in Canada? 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard Mark! Glad you made it over and look forward to seeing your modelling endeavours!

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

18 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Mark, a warm :sign:

Wow, going 1:400 scale to 1:200 scale is a huge step.
Will it be a Trumpeter kit?

Cheers

Yes, Trumpeter.

17 hours ago, Baker said:

" Mark Meester "

A typical Flemish or Dutch name.
Are you sure you live in Canada? 😉

Dutch. My Grandfather was from The Hague. Not many of us here on this side of the pond.

Cheers,

Mark

4 hours ago, petervisser said:

Welcome aboard Mark! Glad you made it over and look forward to seeing your modelling endeavours!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me