Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Shipman,

Bonhams - That is indeed a gorgeous looking piece of machinery.  Est £6k-£7k seems a bit of a steal, but I don't have a motorcycle background so perhaps there are quite a few still around.

Just found what appears to be, to my untrained eye, an Army version of the same machine..... 

1944 Triumph 3HW 350cc Ex National Motorcycle Museum Sold for £12,650, Dec 2020 - https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/149-1944-triumph-3hw--350cc/?lot=51466&sd=1

image.thumb.jpeg.7f36d8c8ad74c42ea32148298a668431.jpeg

Richard

13 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

Shipman,

Bonhams - That is indeed a gorgeous looking piece of machinery.  Est £6k-£7k seems a bit of a steal, but I don't have a motorcycle background so perhaps there are quite a few still around.

Just found what appears to be, to my untrained eye, an Army version of the same machine..... 

1944 Triumph 3HW 350cc Ex National Motorcycle Museum Sold for £12,650, Dec 2020 - https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/149-1944-triumph-3hw--350cc/?lot=51466&sd=1

image.thumb.jpeg.7f36d8c8ad74c42ea32148298a668431.jpeg

Richard

Gorgeous bike. I would venture to say it was a steal even at the higher price of 12,650. Couldn’t restore one for that price.

Posted (edited)

Here's my trusty '56 BSA

EDIT:

A lifelong motorcycle engine designer by the name of Valentine Page worked for JAP, Triumph, Ariel and BSA. He constantly updated his basic single cylinder theme as he moved from one manufacturer to another.

Notice the strong resemblance between the 3HW and the B31 engine below.

Mr Page contributed much to the British Industry, yet he's largely forgotten today.

AC 20.JPG

Edited by shipman
Historical detail

Inspired by the blackness and metallica of the wheels I seem to be heading towards a sort of black and white rendition, bereft of any actual historical fidelity. The tank, fenders and other body parts are in a dark iron lacquer, just because I happened to have it on the table and liked the finish. Looking forward to adding all the bits and pieces of this motorbike. Might seem a little boring colour wise, but I thought all the saddlebags, seat and other paraphernalia that is in this kit might provide a good opportunity for colour contrast with the overall black theme. 

IMG_0680.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Just a bit tricky installing the lines from the oil tank due to access, and there not being any positive connection point at either end. Thought about using some brass wire instead of the plastic parts but went with the kit part and paint at the end of the day, think it’s believable.

Rear wheel and chain install is next.

IMG_0684.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Posted (edited)

So much better than mine. Built 40 years ago 

👍.

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks Patrick! 
Bit of a minor struggle getting the rear wheel and chain assembly in place since it is all connected and has to be shoehorned into the frame. Thankfully managed it without messing things up too badly. After cementing it all I realized I had missed a small internal lever assembly that was supposed to go in first. Will be an interesting exercise in surgery trying to get it in now but hopefully not impossible. 
Most of my detail painting and aging is being done with combinations of Vallejo steel, dark steel, aluminium, black and metallic black, and oil stain. I’m pleased with the way the hub looks with the respoked wheel, all looking very metallic.IMG_0690.thumb.jpeg.d8076377f0d876554dbc4116c071b60a.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

It is a beautiful model, everything looks so believable, the metallic parts are great.

In connection with the spoked wheel, let me have a little digression that might be amusing for some. When I a was a fresh graduated engineer, during a job interview, I was asked to discuss the loading capabilities of thin rod loaded in axial compression. Clearly as intuition said and as confirmed by the maths behind, long and thin rods could not take meaningful loads when the radius is very, very smaller than the length. The next question was: "then, how a spoked wheel of a bike can carry your weight?". After a bit of thinking, I concluded that the weight is carried by the upper spokes that are loaded in tension, so, when riding a bike you are 'hanging' on the upper spokes and nor supported by the lower ones. This was a surprising fact for me that I never realized before. By the way, the interview was successful.

Sorry for my digression,

best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

It's also an application of the Lever in the round.... All wheels are...

But that's an aside... Yes your suspended on the few spokes on the tops of the rims...  The spokes at the rear of the front wheel drag the front wheel from the axle at the same time every where it goes as well, and the rear wheel is drug by the axle as well with a slight bit of differing physical forces acting on it... Structural strength is maintained by stressing the wire spokes in tension, Adjusting a wire spoked wheel is just about a lost art today...

And if I remember correct the lacing of the spokes is just as important to power transmission as it is for structural strength....

There a lot of practical tech out there that's being left behind as engineering advances...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, Danstream said:

It is a beautiful model, everything looks so believable, the metallic parts are great.

In connection with the spoked wheel, let me have a little digression that might be amusing for some. When I a was a fresh graduated engineer, during a job interview, I was asked to discuss the loading capabilities of thin rod loaded in axial compression. Clearly as intuition said and as confirmed by the maths behind, long and thin rods could not take meaningful loads when the radius is very, very smaller than the length. The next question was: "then, how a spoked wheel of a bike can carry your weight?". After a bit of thinking, I concluded that the weight is carried by the upper spokes that are loaded in tension, so, when riding a bike you are 'hanging' on the upper spokes and nor supported by the lower ones. This was a surprising fact for me that I never realized before. By the way, the interview was successful.

Sorry for my digression,

best regards,

Dan

Thanks Dan - your meticulously finished models are such accomplished model craft. I usually think I’ve wandered into a museum when I look at them. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

44 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Structural strength is maintained by stressing the wire spokes in tension, Adjusting a wire spoked wheel is just about a lost art today...

Indeed, actually, on top of what I said (I simplified a bit the story), as you said, all the spokes must be pre-stressed in tension (the lost art), so the ones on top increase cyclically their tension load and the ones on the bottom decrease it without becoming compressed and so avoiding buckling. Torque (of the engine or the brakes) is transmitted from the hub to the rim thanks to the eccentric positioning of the spokes (if the spokes passed through the axle, no torque could be transmitted). I stop here.

Best regards,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

3 hours ago, Danstream said:

Indeed, actually, on top of what I said (I simplified a bit the story), as you said, all the spokes must be pre-stressed in tension (the lost art), so the ones on top increase cyclically their tension load and the ones on the bottom decrease it without becoming compressed and so avoiding buckling. Torque (of the engine or the brakes) is transmitted from the hub to the rim thanks to the eccentric positioning of the spokes (if the spokes passed through the axle, no torque could be transmitted). I stop here.

Best regards,

Dan

I'm fortunate to know a pal who's been building spoked wheels. privately and professionally for over 40 years.

I've watched him build a wheel in much less than an hour.

Enjoyed the spoke discussion… I’ve been pre stressed and tense myself lately; our modeling hobby is good therapy.

The seats in the kit are a black flexible plastic, good quality but looked a little plain. I wrinkled up some leftover tissue from my Guillows spitfire and applied it to them with a fluid mix of wood glue and water, then a few tries with various brown paints until it looked something like well worn leather. Finished it off with a few brass pin heads from my wooden ship box, and a bit of Vallejo gloss oil stain on the saddle to give the impression of wear and sheen.
I cut off the shielding from the headlamp just because I felt like it, and because the kit has rather a nice lens I wanted to see. Added bumpers on the tank. Haven’t put in any tubing into the machinery yet, hoping I can do all that at the end. 
Tim

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Love the treatment of the seat!

I must say how I'm impressed with how authentic this kit appears to be, considering it's been available forever.

Your first post mentions CDW did a log of his build; how can I find it?

AHA! found it!

Edited by shipman
adition

Hard to believe it is a model to be honest, looks like the real thing, the tissue for the seats is a great idea!

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Everything looks so believable! Great modeling!

Cheers,

Dan

Beautiful work 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you looking in, your interest and encouraging remarks. 
Starting to come together. The front fork assembly is fragile and a bit wonky in this kit, still have some adjustments to make. Cut some thin strips of medical glaze and wrapped it around the exhaust pipe before giving it a black wash and painting the muffler. Still have to fabricate something to stand off the exhaust so it doesn’t interfere with the kickstand; minor kit flaw or more likely I just screwed something up although I’ve been unable to fathom what. 

IMG_0714.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

48 minutes ago, Tim Moore said:

Still have to fabricate something to stand off the exhaust so it doesn’t interfere with the kickstand; minor kit flaw or more likely I just screwed something up although I’ve been unable to fathom what. 

You didn't screwed something up.

I had the same problem in the 80's.

20240523_193803.thumb.jpg.326e7995afc445022ad2407e7153a5dd.jpg

Regards, Patrick

The kickstart/silencer clearance:-

All the Brit bikes have clearance issues here, it is close.

Even on a real bike, it's common to find the lever just brushes the silencer.

More often than not, it's down to a washer just the right thickness where the exhaust mounts to the frame.

A tedious and frustrating thing to get correct.