Sikorsky JRS-1 by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Eduard - 1/72

Mike, you produced a truly lovely model. The subject is great and it is a pleasure to look at, with a lot of features and details to discover. The paint scheme is awesome and you did it masterfully.

Congratulations, I love this model.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Spectacular finish!  Very well done!

Brad/NavyShooter

Build Log: HMS Blackpool - 1/144 3D Print RC

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Nice work Mike ,   :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Wow, thank you for the very kind words gentlemen!  I'm especially flattered coming from modelers with immense talent as yourselves.  Really appreciate it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I am sure glad that you were able to withstand the torture I was able to inflict by introducing you to this kit way back when we were talkin about my Flying Boat collection. It is by no means an easy kit to build and finish, but you have done it masterfully. Do you have another in mind in this series other than the Walrus?

Thanks for sharing and letting me be a vicarious part of your build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

I am sure glad that you were able to withstand the torture I was able to inflict by introducing you to this kit way back when we were talkin about my Flying Boat collection. It is by no means an easy kit to build and finish, but you have done it masterfully. Do you have another in mind in this series other than the Walrus?

Thanks for sharing and letting me be a vicarious part of your build.

Hey Lou!  I know i complained along the build, but looking back, it wasn't too bad.  Although there were lots of fit issues, particularly with the canopy and windows, I think most of it probably boiled down to me having a lack of experience on tackling these types of issues, along with the time pressures of getting it done before the expiration of the LSM group build.  The scratch landing gear itself probably took me 20 hours to do, mostly because I hadn't used a lot of the materials before.  All in all though, a fun build that turned out nicely that taught me a ton.  This will help me go back and finish the Vindicator and Buffalo that I stalled on, as I wasn't sure how to approach certain areas of the builds.  Also, I have a Pro Modeller PBY-5A kit in 1/48 in the stash that I wanted to start, but worried about hearing all the nose weight one needs to include yet the landing gear tends to collapse - now that I scratched it on the JRS-1, I think I feel comfortable scratching it for the PBY-5A.

On other flying boats, you definitely gave me a case of hives with a lot of itches to scratch.  I have quite a few flying boats in the stash as I find them quirky yet very interesting.  Sorta like how I prefer to model IJN auxiliary ships over the typical warships you see.  Except for two, I've always bought them second hand at significant discounts from retail, though the aftermarket usually ends up making up the difference and then some.  Here are the ones I have in the stash - would love to see your list!

US:  Sikorsky S-38 and S-39 (Czech Master Resin 1/48), J2F-5 Duck (I Love Kit 1/48), Grumman Widgeon JF-1/JF-2 (Signifer 1/48), Grumman Goose (Signifer 1/48), PBY-5A (Pro Modeller 1/48), OS2U Kingfisher (Kitty Hawk 1/32)

Japanese:  F1M2 Pete (Hasegawa 1/48), H8K2 Emily (Hasegawa 1/72)

UK:  Felixstowe F.2A (Roden 1/72 and WNW 1/32), Sunderland Mk. III (Special Hobby 1/72), Walrus (Airfix 1/48 and HpH 1/32)

German:  Hansa Brandenburg W.29 (WnW 1/32), Dornier Do 24T (Italeri 1/72), Blohm & Voss BV222 (Revell 1/72), Arado Ar196 (Revell 1/32).  I also have a Ju 52 kit that I might use a conversion set for to add floats.

French:  Caudron Hydravion (Copper State 1/48)

Ouch, that's a lot more than I thought I had.  I need to be more efficient on my builds 😵‍💫

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

5 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

OS2U Kingfisher (Kitty Hawk 1/32)

I have the WWII catapult (3D print files) for my kingfisher, I was thinking of doing mine as a bird off the Arizona when she was a yellowing or off the Washington when she was three color blue.... The Catapult is the same whether the center deck one on the old battleships or the newer  deck edge ones on the fast battleships...

That's quite the collection of flying boats.... a biplane yellowing? {chuckle} just kidding... (there were no yellowing Felixtowns) the Felixtown was a British built derivative/development of the Curtis H-12 flying boat... (cause the Curtis company could not fill the RN's orders fast enough besides the guy that helped Curtis build the H-12 was an Englishman and when the war broke out he served in the RN and developed the Felixtown line of FB's directly off his experience and knowledge of Curtis's designs......)

They look almost identical, you would have to do your research to figure out where they were different... (the hull, the F2A hull design became the standard for all flying boats built anywhere)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 minute ago, Egilman said:

I have the WWII catapult (3D print files) for my kingfisher, I was thinking of doing mine as a bird off the Arizona when she was a yellowing or off the Washington when she was three color blue.... The Catapult is the same whether the center deck one on the old battleships or the newer  deck edge ones on the fast battleships...

That's quite the collection of flying boats.... a biplane yellowing? 

Oh wow, a 1/32 US catapult?  Do you have the Kitty Hawk kit?  That would look really cool.  I'm planning to put my Walrus on the NeOmega catapult, and also have the HpH catapult for my Arado and the NeOmega catapult for the Hurricane.  I think these seaplanes look really cool on catapults, which ends up being a nice diorama setting for the model.

For biplane yellow wings, I have some of the old 1/32 Hasegawa and Williams Brothers kits, along with some from Silver Wings and Lukgraph.  I really like the interwar paint schemes.

Mike

Yeah I have the Kittyhawk Kingfisher and the Big Ed for it...The Catapult is the P-6 Standard US Navy catapult... It is a 3D print model, a bit basic but can be printed in any scale you want it in... It was a free download from the net but I don't remember where, I've had it for a while... I've combined the DOCX build log files into a single PDF so you can see what it is....

I remember it as free and there is no attribution in the file so I'm pretty sure it's public domain...

I've uploaded it below for whomever wants it...

I haven't checked the STL files for errors yet, but I will if anyone likes what they see and wants it...

US Navy Standard P-6 Catapult 1933-52.pdf

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

9 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

UK:  Felixstowe F.2A (Roden 1/72 and WNW 1/32), Sunderland Mk. III (Special Hobby 1/72), Walrus (Airfix 1/48 and HpH 1/32)

I have the Felixstowe by Roden along with a Gotha. I have no idea what I was thinking. They look like being a serious challenge. Especially as I have trouble with rigging a ship

Alan

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Yeah I have the Kittyhawk Kingfisher and the Big Ed for it...The Catapult is the P-6 Standard US Navy catapult... It is a 3D print model, a bit basic but can be printed in any scale you want it in... It was a free download from the net but I don't remember where, I've had it for a while... I've combined the DOCX build log files into a single PDF so you can see what it is....

I remember it as free and there is no attribution in the file so I'm pretty sure it's public domain...

I've uploaded it below for whomever wants it...

I haven't checked the STL files for errors yet, but I will if anyone likes what they see and wants it...

US Navy Standard P-6 Catapult 1933-52.pdfFetching info...

Fantastic EG!  Thank you!  Let me know if you’re building the kit and I can build alongside you!

Mike

17 minutes ago, king derelict said:

I have the Felixstowe by Roden along with a Gotha. I have no idea what I was thinking. They look like being a serious challenge. Especially as I have trouble with rigging a ship

Alan

Hey Alan - I’ve got two of the Felixstowe and the Zepellin Staaken.  Same deal with you - if you start the Felixstowe, let me know and I can build mine alongside yours!

Mike

Congrats on your beautiful model, Mike.  As Dan mentioned above - this is a beautiful color scheme.  Extremely nice work!

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thank you Gary, really appreciate it!

Mike

23 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Fantastic EG!  Thank you!  Let me know if you’re building the kit and I can build alongside you!

On 9/3/2024 at 1:23 PM, Egilman said:

cause the Curtis company could not fill the RN's orders fast enough besides the guy that helped Curtis build the H-12 was an Englishman and when the war broke out he served in the RN and developed the Felixtown line of FB's directly off his experience and knowledge of Curtis's designs......

Will do brother, When I start getting my head back into modeling I'll give you a shout.... And I will have the Catapult files sorted by then as well... (Unless you want them now)

There is another thing I leaned about the Felixtowne F2A's... The chief designer of the F.2A, John Porte, had co-operated with Glenn Curtiss for many years and Curtiss had great experience in designing and building flying boats. He was the guy that worked with Curtis on designing the H-12 earlier... His company Felixtowne gave a license to build the F2A in the US as the Curtis H-16, in fact the RN flew more Curtis's than they did Felixtowne's but this allowed Curtis to sell the H-16 to the US navy... In British service the Felixtowne's only lasted into 1919 until they were retired for good, but they served in the US Navy well into the late 20's... They were anericanized though using Liberty engines... So it's enitrely possible to have a yellowing Felixtown F2A disguised as a Curtis H-16, all we would have to do is substitute to a pair of Liberty engines for the conversion... During the war the US Navy flown versions pretty much only flew in the US and didn't arrive in England until the war was over, but the RN flew more of them than they did the F2A....

I haven't found a pic of a Yellowing version yet which is my new research mission... (and to find a Liberty engine in 1/32 scale)

Quote:

Hey EG, I can wait on the Catapult until you are ready to go.  I'm working on the Hs 129 at the moment which will keep me busy.

That's really cool about the Curtiss H-16 - never knew of that plane.  Some really cool pics here:

https://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft187693.htm

Mike

35 minutes ago, Egilman said:

There is another thing I leaned about the Felixtowne F2A's... The chief designer of the F.2A, John Porte, had co-operated with Glenn Curtiss for many years and Curtiss had great experience in designing and building flying boats. He was the guy that worked with Curtis on designing the H-12 earlier... His company Felixtowne gave a license to build the F2A in the US as the Curtis H-16, in fact the RN flew more Curtis's than they did Felixtowne's but this allowed Curtis to sell the H-16 to the US navy... In British service the Felixtowne's only lasted into 1919 until they were retired for good, but they served in the US Navy well into the late 20's... They were anericanized though using Liberty engines... So it's enitrely possible to have a yellowing Felixtown F2A disguised as a Curtis H-16, all we would have to do is substitute to a pair of Liberty engines for the conversion... During the war the US Navy flown versions pretty much only flew in the US and didn't arrive in England until the war was over, but the RN flew more of them than they did the F2A....

I haven't found a pic of a Yellowing version yet which is my new research mission... (and to find a Liberty engine in 1/32 scale)

EG - not sure if you saw, but Roden apparently makes a 1/72 Curtiss H-16.  Very similar, except has the Liberty engines, a different cockpit window configuration, and some other bits and pieces.  The Roden Curtiss H-16 boxing is essentially the same as their Felixstowe boxings minus a pair of new Z sprues and the clear parts sprue.

I'd love to do this fish version!

image.thumb.png.78215474ba332b830908cb92a53f7d67.png

image.png.ec4ab393967f3ff54b0b922a0d33077c.png 

Mike

Well I've got the Liberty engines coming and the F2A, and yes when serving with the fleet assigned to Utility Squadron 1 attached to the USS Wright in 1922 they had Chrome yellow upper wing and Hor. stab surfaces with star with red dot insignias....

YEA TEAM!!!! She can be built as a yellow wing...

1922CurtisH-16-2.jpg.30fa0071ad197c1b87891bf50e8813cf.jpg

Chrome Yellow photographs dark in the early film days... Overall navy grey with a black hull bottom, Silver doped lower wing + underside of the H stab, Chrome Yellow top of the upper wing and H stab...

Should be pretty....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Well I've got the Liberty engines coming and the F2A, and yes when serving with the fleet assigned to Utility Squadron 1 attached to the USS Wright in 1922 they had Chrome yellow upper wing and Hor. stab surfaces with star with red dot insignias....

YEA TEAM!!!! She can be built as a yellow wing...

1922CurtisH-16-2.jpg.30fa0071ad197c1b87891bf50e8813cf.jpg

Chrome Yellow photographs dark in the early film days... Overall navy grey with a black hull bottom, Silver doped lower wing + underside of the H stab, Chrome Yellow top of the upper wing and H stab...

Should be pretty....

That will be incredible!  Are you building it in 1/32 or 1/72 or some other scale?

Mike

16 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That will be incredible!  Are you building it in 1/32 or 1/72 or some other scale?

WnW 1/32nd Scale I have the Late F2A and will be raiding two WnW DH9a "Ninaks" for the Liberty engines, the DH9a's have a fuselage fairing over the engines so they can be built without the engine inside, they just show the exhausts on the side... Will have to find some appropriate exhaust manifolds to install on the Ninak's... Right and Left handed 6 cylinder manifolds should work, two each... {chuckle}

Quote:

Thank you Scott, really appreciate it!

Mike