HMS Flirt by wvdhee - Vanguard Models - 1:64

With patience and perseverance I managed to get the metalwork on the bulwarks and deck done. Quite happy with it all 🙂

Started on the guns, well just one for now to see how to do it and what paints etc... I don't know yet if I'll rig the guns, I will probable try and see how that goes.

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Walter.

Current build: HMS Flirt

5 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Looking good, I would recommend at least doing the breach rope for the guns. Personally I feel that rigging them is worth the effort as I like my ships to look a bit cluttered, but those tiny blocks are a bit of a pain to rig.

I might do that yes, or rigging them off ship to have more room and then install all at once?

Walter.

5 hours ago, wvdhee said:

I might do that yes, or rigging them off ship to have more room and then install all at once?

Yes rigging them off the ship using a jig is way easier. If you take a look at my log I show how I did this for the gun tackle. On the breaching ropes I would recommend not attaching the ring bolts to the cannons (I had a harder time because I didn't think of this at the time), that way you can do the entire rigging of the breaching rope off model on a jig and then glue them in as you attach everything to the model. I saw a log which did this recently, but I can't remember where. If I find it I will post a link for you.

3 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Yes rigging them off the ship using a jig is way easier. If you take a look at my log I show how I did this for the gun tackle. On the breaching ropes I would recommend not attaching the ring bolts to the cannons (I had a harder time because I didn't think of this at the time), that way you can do the entire rigging of the breaching rope off model on a jig and then glue them in as you attach everything to the model. I saw a log which did this recently, but I can't remember where. If I find it I will post a link for you.

Thanks! I'm sure I saw your blog, but will check again. It's not for today anyway, so no rush.

Walter.

Posted (edited)

Guns.

Been busy on the side to try out one gun, to see what paints to use and how it all looked. For the carriage the same red as the bulwarks obviously and for the gun I settled on one thin coat of Tamiya TS30 (my go to 'primer' whenever I do objects that are metal in real) and one thin coat of Revell anthracite matt (number 9) . The latter takes hours to dry so and when it's touch dry I rub the gun with my finger a little bit and the metal primer shows through a little bit.

IMG_20240306_161516.jpg

On a carriage and on the boat it looks quite good I think 🙂 

image.thumb.jpeg.fee05b25442e4ec1be6cf0d4b7825321.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f168416c6181f30358f0cc8034c8e7d5.jpeg

I'm starting to like the macro lens 😉

Edited by wvdhee
forgot some pics

Walter.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rvchima said:

Walter,

How did you spread the rings that go around the deadeyes? I am having trouble inserting the deadeyes without damaging the finish.

Rod

A bit of damage is inevitable. I also had trouble on alert. I just used pliers gently to pry it apart and then touched up the damaged parts with black paint afterwards.

I believe some people blacken with the deadeyes on, but you probably want to test this before committing.

Edited by Thukydides

3 hours ago, rvchima said:

Walter,

How did you spread the rings that go around the deadeyes? I am having trouble inserting the deadeyes without damaging the finish.

Rod

Damage is inevitable yes and I blackened them again indeed with the deadeyes attached. 

Walter.

1 hour ago, Thukydides said:

A bit of damage is inevitable. I also had trouble on alert. I just used pliers gently to pry it apart and then touched up the damaged parts with black paint afterwards.

I believe some people blacken with the deadeyes on, but you probably want to test this before committing.

I did that yes, what you said last. It didn't do any damage to the deadeyes, but I now see I have to retouch with paint anyway, so that's probably the way to go.

Walter.

The masts then. 

More work then I had thought actually, maybe also because the step-by-step instruction manual has ended here and it's measuring and looking at the big, highly detailed plans.

The wood for the lower masts was a lot darker than the rest (see bowsprit), not a biggy, I quite like it tbh.

There's no need to glue the masts in place imo, the fit is quite snug and the rigging will hold it. Same for top masts and bowsprit.

On we go! 😊

Oh and spring has begun 😃

IMG_20240320_220241.jpg

Walter.

The cat has me scared being so close to the model, (which looks really great.)   Love the planking and seeing belaying pins that are to scale.  Kudos to both Vanguard and you.

Looking at various cannon barrel patterns from the 18th century I cannot find barrels that look like these.  Do you know what pattern these are?  Thanks!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

21 minutes ago, allanyed said:

The cat has me scared being so close to the model, (which looks really great.)   Love the planking and seeing belaying pins that are to scale.  Kudos to both Vanguard and you.

Looking at various cannon barrel patterns from the 18th century I cannot find barrels that look like these.  Do you know what pattern these are?  Thanks!

Allan

😡

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

34 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Allan

Thanks Allan for the compliment.

About the guns, they're 4 pounders. Since Flirt never did anything really (apart from being gorgeously pretty), she was probably armed with whatever was lying around. I haven't found pics from the time. Concerning their accuracy, I still haven't managed to fire them... Should ask Chris about that 😊

Walter.

Looking good, she does have really nice lines. It is a great moment when you get the shrouds and stays in place, I feel it is the moment they start to look like a sailing ship.

Slow is good on the rigging, lots of skills and tricks to learn. By the time you are done you will finally start to know what you are doing 😄.

37 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

Looking good, she does have really nice lines. It is a great moment when you get the shrouds and stays in place, I feel it is the moment they start to look like a sailing ship.

Slow is good on the rigging, lots of skills and tricks to learn. By the time you are done you will finally start to know what you are doing 😄.

Haha, true that! 😄

Walter.

Shrouds and ratlines done. It took me a few attempts to get the ratlines right and to get into the groove of hitches and cloves 😉 But once I knew how it went rather quickly. I feared the ratlines tbh, but bring on that big 3 master 😃

It's not perfect imo, so I really need another ship to improve...

I started rigging the bowsprit. Once that's done I'll allow myself a little woodworking interlude, still haven't done the yards and all, it'll be good to do something else than rigging.

IMG_20240407_133317.jpg

IMG_20240407_133253.jpg

Walter.

46 minutes ago, TJM said:

Well done! You are overtaking me now 😅! I think your ratlines look fine, btw. 

BR

TJM

You're still a little bit ahead I think 😅

I'm happy with the ratlines yes, the futtock staves are a bit messy...

Walter.