AEG G.IV - Creature of the Night by DocRob - Wingnut Wings - 1/32

Beautiful job on the panel Rob, really.
I have a Wingnut Wings for my next non ship build, the DH. 9a Ninak, so I’m quite interested in yours. Yours seems a good quality kit in very capable hands.  I bought the Ninak solely because the box and artwork were so attractive, that’s how shallow I am. Haven’t opened it yet.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

7 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Beautiful job on the panel Rob, really.
I have a Wingnut Wings for my next non ship build, the DH. 9a Ninak, so I’m quite interested in yours. Yours seems a good quality kit in very capable hands.  I bought the Ninak solely because the box and artwork were so attractive, that’s how shallow I am. Haven’t opened it yet.

Thank you Tim, the Wingnut kits are near perfect, quality wise, you won´t be disappointed. The kits are the perfect canvas for using new techniques, as you don´t have to care about fit issues a lot. Tolerances are quite tight, so test fitting, especially with a layer of paint on top is a must. Usually you have to remove paint from mating surfaces. Decals are Cartograph printed and very good to work with. Many parts are very fragile, so some extra care during working with them is necessary. I have built two already and enjoyed the builds, a Pfalz D.IIIa and a Hansa Brandenburg W.12 and have some more in stash. 

The only other comparable company when it comes to WWI in 1/32 planes is Copper State Model, with similar refined kits and even better manuals for my liking.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Great rendition of surfaces. I am following with interest your progress.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

5 hours ago, Danstream said:

Great rendition of surfaces. I am following with interest your progress.

Cheers,

Thank you Dan, you perfectly nailed the fascination, these WWI planes possess, beside their looks. Everything is about material and surfaces, wood, metal, leather, cloth, it´s the promised land for material replication afficionados like me.

Cheer Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

47 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Super dashboard. So realistic.

Thank you Yves, WNW did a great job, designing the dashboard and specially the perfect fitting decals, which made it easy to achieve a satisfying result.
I haven´t spoken about it, but WNW made a mistake with this IP and moulded some British instruments onto it, but mentioned in the manual, that these are to remove. No biggie, it happens to the best.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

It starts to get cozy in the front office. It´s time to add the numerous details and it´s a good idea, to follow the manual with the progress. Guess how I found out. I had to wiggle one bulkhead in, because I glued the sliding pad too early.
The seats are oil painted on sand yellow and accentuated with toned variations of the base color. After a coat of flat, I had a semigloss finish, which was treated carefully with 4000 grid sandpaper, to remain glossy leather patches and some worn dull areas.
On most of the metal parts, I applied a very slight rub of iron pigment with a cotton swab, a technique, I use very often to enhance the metal appearance of these parts. Somehow it looks right scale wise.
There was a lot of detail painting in places and I used CA mostly, as it´s not so thin to spoil surfaces and bonds well, even with painted surfaces.

P1011076.thumb.JPG.245c439758bbe1b36bc6728b3c1ec80a.JPG

P1011077.thumb.JPG.0e2ae211566bdf7e6e86cc679cc894be.JPG

P1011078.thumb.JPG.94936564088edb06250b48b6a3b7e0ef.JPG

P1011079.thumb.JPG.0b531ad47b5b22749a16a4d1775a61ac.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Rob, great work on your leather seat. 👍 Your finishing work is a master class.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

17 hours ago, Canute said:

Rob, great work on your leather seat. 👍 Your finishing work is a master class.

Thank you Ken, looks like a good place for a cigar and a glass of cognac, doesn´t it.
I was not satisfied, after I painted the seats up with my usual multicolor blend of oil colors, using near black in the deepest folds and work my way "up" to the most exposed areas with a lighter shade than the base color. Oils blend perfectly, but after coating semi gloss clear on top, the nice effect nearly vanished, maybe because of my chosen dark brown look. 
I thought about, how old leather looks and decided to play with partly shinyness, which is so typical for used leather. That was where the idea for the sanding paper came into play and I liked the result. Finally, I dabbed on some bronze metal wax with onto the knobs with a toothpicks and now am ready for my cigar.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

More detailing and adding of pre painted parts took place, before closing the cockpit tub. WNW has a great photo in the manual, which shows the bomb release switches in the observer station, but added none in the kit.
I used Albion Connecto brass parts for this. I cut the crosses to size and glued them into the switchboard. Later, I added cables for each of the switches.

P1011081.thumb.JPG.334042baf73136d116d6e407b541852a.JPG

That´s how it looks now:

P1011094.thumb.JPG.43bb10770260e317d3603d0c5b6e4195.JPG

Now it´s time for the seat belts, where as usual the HGW instructions for the paper and PE belts has some errors. It´s always the same with HGW, they have some great products, others are a complete fail, but the manuals are always wrong.

I closed the cockpit tub, but not before checking, it fits into the fuselage, which it seems to do, phew. I haven´t added the steering wheel, because I can´t find my PE-fret, where some tiny parts have to be added to the steering column and I hope, I can find it in time.
I toned down the backside of the seat with smoke pigment, because my oil color woodgrain looked too new for my bird.

P1011086.thumb.JPG.faf7561468d433f5be9b8ac823bef482.JPG

P1011090.thumb.JPG.c0236e359b7f1024dd1395e0ac582be3.JPG

P1011087.thumb.JPG.1079a8f076deb728dce6b45f138e570b.JPG

P1011091.thumb.JPG.6b6153f2df7f61c35e341892243cb3de.JPG

Then I simulated the decks for fit and what remains visible.

P1011085.thumb.JPG.ce1759f53959693370d94a866603dbce.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Superb  paintwork   -  looks   so real.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I applied the first batch of lozenge decals today. They went on beautifully on the inside of the fuselage and need to be flat coated then.

P1011097.thumb.JPG.07dc763c8cec64c027196ef5b82a7e3b.JPG

Initially I wanted to assemble the HGW seat belts, but couldn´t find the heart in me to start. There are four pairs to be made for the captain/observer in the front cockpit, the pilot, the foldable co-pilot seat and the rear gunner. Interestingly these four stations were only manned by a crew of three on night missions often only two crew members. The captain/ observer crept through a tunnel out of the front cockpit for takeoff and landing, because in case of a nose dive, he would be crushed in the front office.

Speaking of nose dives, to distract me from the seat belts, I even had a peek on the waves for surfing, but on this cold, grey, stormy day, there was no surf to speak of, so back to the belts.

Well in the end, I assembled all four pairs and now my eyes are hurting :icon_eek:. They are a bit simpler to build u, than the WWII ones, but fiddly as well. Again, it was helpful to fiddle the belt parts through the buckles, when these are still on the PE fret. On the picture, they havent received their brown oil color wash, which will be followed by a matte coat tomorrow.

P1011095.thumb.JPG.d3a7bbb441a855ce21056607ecb88be0.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I finished the cockpit tub today. You have to be faithful, that a zillion of contact points fit, where they should into the fuselage and to the three deck parts. I test fitted a lot, checked again with the manual, but praise to WNW, the fit is excellent.
The seat belts were added, after I mistreated them with pigments, washes and matte coat and the last bits and pieces went in. The inboard LMG can be added later, which I also tested.

P1011100.thumb.JPG.ad1c6a7662f919094e9a270910b3a14f.JPG

P1011101.thumb.JPG.616abda17ab6c830a396a78e703711bd.JPG

I prepared the fuselage halves with some fake rigging, made from 0,2 mm nickel rod with 0,5 mm aluminum tube glued to the ends and then Ca-ed into the fuselage.
The fuselage got closed and left to dry overnight and I even didn´t forgot to snap in the trap door window for the fuselage LMG.

P1011099.thumb.JPG.0d23accd1c64b59846fafbee90bb67b6.JPG 

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Excellent painting and ageing/wearing job on the leather and floor-boards  👍🏻👍🏻

One thing though bugged me: did these machines really become old enough to experience such wear and tear?

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

14 hours ago, wefalck said:

Excellent painting and ageing/wearing job on the leather and floor-boards  👍🏻👍🏻

One thing though bugged me: did these machines really become old enough to experience such wear and tear?

Thank you wefalck, you possibly got me there. I´m mostly sure, these planes had a relatively short service time, due to technical failures, enemy fire, accidents and further technological development. On the other hand, they were used under less than comfortable conditions, at night time in cold, windy and humid weather conditions, with a crew, trying to stay warm, crawling around in the crammed space with their thick leather outfits on.

The envisioned picture, I painted in the second part, led to my rendered image, I developed before I even started the build. When I start a project, I always try to get a feel for the subject, the conditions and circumstances and this along with other sources forms that said picture in my head and that´s what I follow through the build.
I like to build realistic models, but not to the last possible aspect. With my picture in mind, I keep the liberty of freestyling a bit. With the AEG, I was sure, the question will arise sooner or later, but rendering this picture I have pre-envisioned into scaled reality is what drives me in modeling.

On a side note, with wooden ship modeling, there seems to be a great hesitation with weathering and ageing in general, which is a pity. The majority of builds look brand new, my feeble attempt with the Duchess of Kingston included.
I think, weathering and ageing is an art and will use it on wooden ships as well, when I have some more experience with the subject. A first try might be a fishing vessel or similar.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

As I said, I really liked your rendering and 'weathering', it was just a thought that came to my mind.

In shipmodelling there seem to be two 'schools', the one aims to show their skills in wood- and metal-working, resulting in what I would call 'artisanal' models. At the other end of the scale there are those, who aim to produce 'realistic' models. The latter seem to be mostly plastic kit-builders working in small scales and producing water-line models. Water-line models in this category make sense, as they show the ship in its real environment, rather than high and dry on a pedestal.

I think it is mentally easier to make a model looking scruffy that was build from a kit, than one built from scratch, where one spend a lot of effort to machine the parts as well as possible.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

It is my belief that we model the life cycle of an object, any object... In wooden ship building, the highest class of the art is the prototype model, the classic english 1/4 scale constructors model showing all the details... That is probably never going to change as it is it's own art form and is the most popular presentation for that class of model....

All else can be anything we envision, from the destroyed tank to the one sitting on the delivery apron... Aircraft, Cars, Ships the same way.... 

The point of weathering is to pick out a day in the life and represent it... In scale of course... As delivered is the most popular in cars, but the wrecking yard can be just as stunning.... As we have seen right here on this site... It is another way the hobby has grown....

They are all beautiful in their own way.... Make it look real...

And we have masters of the craft on this site, like several in this thread...

Including the OP...

All just my opinion of course...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Preliminary to closing the fuselage permanently, I made a last test fit of the decks and had a last peek at the interior, where the final details were added, like the folding seat for the commander. I displayed it folded and stored, which leaves a narrow tunnel for the crew to slide through to the back of the cockpit, not too easy I guess with the thick leather outfit and maybe a life jacket.

P1011103.thumb.JPG.9339bd7cac3ebdf19b4a251709fd4c2f.JPG

P1011102.thumb.JPG.2df02977c789df60c328fffb6e78704b.JPG

Then I closed the fuselage, did a first bit of sanding on the seams. Fit was good, but not perfect, due to the very thin plastic and multiple parts intersecting.
On the lower side, you can see the dark patch of the tiltable window for the fuselage gun. WNW chose to produce the stitching on the lower side as separate parts, which seal the lower fuselage side seamless, genial.
There is one rectangular part fitting between the two bomb slots in front of said window, where the WNW manual calls falsely for part A45, where A44 is the correct one.
I shimmed the lower nose section with a strip of evergreen, because this area is very flexible, due to the thinness of the plastic.

P1011104.thumb.JPG.82a605aa508fc82025d2f19c536e194e.JPG

P1011105.thumb.JPG.cb00736c09879172115e37a0ce29cc1c.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I haven´t done as much as I wanted lately, but checked the gaps in the fuselage and sanded a bit. A tiny bit more filling and sanding is needed, before I can continue with airbrushing the base layer for the lozenge decals.

What I did, was pondering about the painting and decaling sequence, identifying where the fuselage decals go. Nose, decks and parts of the wing stubs are only painted, the rest will receive decals.
The next decision was about the base layer, therefore I decaled a gloss white plastic strip, which I painted with areas of gloss black and added a spare decal, to see, how much transparency the decals have. It´s almost non visible, which means, I will airbrush Tamiya XF-17 sea blue as a base, followed by a gloss coat for the decals. If I would have base coated with gloss white, I would have had the possibility of pre shading, like with Aviatic decals, but this makes no sense here. It has to be post shading then.

P1011107.thumb.JPG.ae28c1c0569ee969d181a345acdd296c.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I started to clean up the engine parts and parts of the nacelles, because I wanted to get a grip for the fit and for the painting process. By the way, I decided to wire the engines and pre drilled the magnetos with 0,3 mm holes for the wiring and the cylinder heads with 0,5 mm holes for my brass tube spark plugs.

Meanwhile the fuselage was airbrushed with Tamiya XF-17 sea blue. In case you wonder, why the AEG looks like a porcupine, I put in wood plugs into the holes for the struts, adhered with a drop of thinned PVA. If you know about WNW tolerances, you got the idea, I don´t want to clean out every hole, before assembly. For the same reason, the engine support struts were loosely mounted.

P1011110.thumb.JPG.c41c04eca94d0521f099ff0e7e5fc5f4.JPG

As much as I like the matte look, I need a glossy surface for the lozenge decals and sprayed on Mr Hobby GX-100 clear gloss, with two thirds of leveling thinner in the mix and ruined the perfect mattedness.

P1011111.thumb.JPG.21fe590fd2be421ad1b4ae752d515889.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Today I decaled the lower fuselage and wing stubs with lozenge camo. The provided decals are ABSOLUTELY fantastic, maybe the best I ever worked with. The fit, even for the cut outs and strut holes are perfect, which is a great relieve. I decided to work my way up, in case there are overlaps, which indeed are minimal.

I used Micro Set and Sol and a hairdryer for the application along a flat brush, to push the bubbles away.
One strange thing, on two of the five decal sheets, the decals need to soak for more than five minutes, where the others need only a minute.

Then I changed plans for the umpteenth time in this build and build the undercarriage, which luckily is a very sturdy construction. Not visible on the pic are the eyelets, which I glued in, before painting as a preparation for rigging. Now the fuselage can rest on the undercarriage and the underside decals remain unharmed.

P1011121.thumb.JPG.06b25f9e5a810994491336963f05afac.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I built a wingnut kit in the past and I also found its decals of extremely good quality and fit. 

At that time, strangely, I found that the blue Micro set was slow, but more effective than the red in setting down the large decal foils when left acting overnight.

Great build Rob,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

On 3/2/2024 at 8:13 PM, Danstream said:

I built a wingnut kit in the past and I also found its decals of extremely good quality and fit. 

At that time, strangely, I found that the blue Micro set was slow, but more effective than the red in setting down the large decal foils when left acting overnight.

Great build Rob,

Thank you Dan, after working with the decals, I had some really bad experiences, after working with a hairdryer onto one fuselage side, the huge decals wrinkled terribly, where the others worked fine with the same treatment. With a lot of patience, I got it sorted out finally.
I always use Micro Set for the application and later, if there are wrinkles or details, over which the decal didn´t conform too well, I use Micro Sol, in this case multiple times, with a hairdryer in between. I wouldn´t use Sol for the first application, because it softens the decal and makes it more sensible for destruction and unwanted stretch, which can cause fit issues.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

The creature got it´s creature jaws. After finishing the fuselage lozenge camo, I added the shark? mouth and the fuselage markings. The serial number of my plane is not known, but the command is and so I used a fictional number for the correct unit.

With the lozenge decals, I had some unexpected troubles, when I used the hairdryer carefully onto one fuselage side, it wrinkled terribly and I was next to bin the kit, but leaned back and continued with Micro Sol and trying to push the wrinkles away, with every tool come to mind. Finally it was ok-ish but not perfect.
I hope for the matte finish and tinted overlayer, to look good in the end.

I also started with the tail, applying lozenge camo decals. It proved to be hard to fit them around the corners, which needed several applications of Micro Sol and hairdryer treatment. I could have used a stronger decal solvent, but decided against it, after I´ve seen, how sensible the decals are with thinner. Patience is the key here, a virtue I´m a bit short of possession, unfortunately.

P1011123.thumb.JPG.dd436d34b83436f5f24c53b735b6ed97.JPG

Then it was decision time about the shark mouth or maybe better whale mouth. WNW supplies two different options, one only in white and one with bluish brushstrokes around. Further, you can decide if the inner mouth should be dark or red.

P1011126.thumb.JPG.e9cd1539cab586f6a2cd64d5c5d5a18c.JPG

The red was omitted initially and after inspecting the very good existing front section photo, I decided for the one with the blue brushstrokes around. No worries, the last wrinkles will be gone after some more Sol applications.

P1011127.thumb.JPG.d9ae51ee87d52b1d691067856b94f1e7.JPG

This all looks a bit stark now, but will tuned down a bit due to the use of tinted varnish, matte coat and weathering.

P1011128.thumb.JPG.4e20816dd4ff8aa56e1fa7e250d6bf7e.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Looking good,   I hear   your  woes   over  decal  placing,  I went through it  with my old mossie  build  where  some  decs  just  wouldn't settle.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm pretty sure their decals are from cartograph

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

42 minutes ago, CDW said:

Does anyone know who made the WnW's decal sheets?

Yes, they were from Cartograf.