Magnifier

Go to solution Solved by Paul Jarman,

I have different magnifiers for different tasks.  One on a stand, one hand held, and also the kind that sit on your head.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I use this magnifying light Menard's.  It comes with a 3x and 5x glass.  It isn't supper easy to change the lense, but I find for me the 3x is enough.  The light has 3 brightness settings and can be changed from a warm to a cool color light.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/lamps/desk-lamps/patriot-lighting-reg-apollo-integrated-led-magnifier-desk-lamp/tt0034/p-1539153039752-c-1531402259058.htm?exp=false

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

I have been using the OptiVisor by Donegon for 20 years or so.  With many 40 hour weeks in the shop I started to get eye strain.  I was advised by my Ophthalmologist to make sure I only used glass lenses to reduce eye strain.  I ordered a set of their DA-5 OptiVisor with 3 sets of glass lenses - I have only ever used one of the extra lens sets and for some extremely small work.  I was able to try out an OptiVisor at a trade show where they had different lenses in some of the units.  I ordered the OptiVisor with the 3 sets of lenses and it was a completely different view than with the unit I had with the plastic lenses.  I have never used the old set with the plastic lenses since then.  I only keep the old set around in case somebody needs to use them at a club function in my shop.

Glass is the way to go.  Donegon has auxiliary lights  that can be attached to the visor, but I have very good bench lighting so I have not had a need for more light.  LED's are the way to go - I have a 4 foot LED shop light over each bench providing a lot of light - that was the other thing my Ophthalmologist recommended.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have two  headband magnifiers with plastic lenses. Both have a fold-up higher power lens and a permanent low power lens. I find this quick change feature to be very useful.

I have another "head wearing magnifier" that has glass lenses with several degrees of magnification, but it takes quite a bit of time to change lenses. Also, the highest magnification lenses had an extremely short working distance, requiring me to get my nose into the work - not very useful! The glass may be better than plastic, but the inability to change magnification quickly has put the unit back in the box and on the shelf.

For a long time I just used cheap off the rack eyeglasses with higher magnification than I normally needed.

Saw my dentist the other day and asked him about his glasses.
They are custom made for each dentist as none of their eyes are the same.
However, the magnification of is 25x and he had look at teeth from 24 inches away still having everything sharp.

Cost - a staggering 2500 dollars, so find the best glasses with magnification to your budget.

I am using Opti-Visor which works good but the headband is too stiff to be comfortable.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I can't use a OptiVisor but I've really been needing something to help me ole eyes so a few days ago I purchased these cheap 6X glasses from Amazon. Work distance from my face is about eight inches, I like them a lot. They also make a 10X version and in a couple of years I'll be getting those. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFWSN6P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Solution

I'm using about the same as most people are. I recently ivested in a 10 times desktop magnifier which is excellent. It can be used at various distances. Can even get it over the deck of my model to see the positioning of the smaller deck fittings. I also have headband magnifiers that have various magnifications up to 25x. 

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

It also depends on for what kind of work you intend to use it: if you are working with machine-tools, hand-held drill/grinder or lathe etc., it would be advisable to use safety-glasses that enclose your eyes and protect them from flying swarf etc. Reading glasses are good, but do not enclose the eyes sufficiently. To my knowledge, however, the safety-glasses are only available with a x3 magnification.

I have got a cheap version of the loupes dentist use these days, but they are designed to be standing over the patient and cannot focus close enough - we like to be with our nose closer to work, when sitting at the workbench. So, I don't really use them.

For lathe- or milling machine-work I also have a binocular microscope that can be screwed to the bench. The depth of field is very short, so that it is not really useful for bench-work, but it is really excellent for observing close-up what a minute drill or milling cutter does.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Posted (edited)

i have those doctor peepers you see surgeons wear... paid alot for them too... they magnify realy nice but the distance they focus at is too far away. i also cant get use to the narrow field. its not easy manipulating tiny parts in confined spaces without breaking everything neighboring the work space. for off ship work, they can be useful but i cant get use to them. a problem i have is getting use to manipulating in such magnification... it takes practice.

i also had those magnifyer goggles that sit on your head like a helmet n can go over your glasses. they are terrible because you tend to get too close to the work space not realizing the goggles are about an inch or more ahead of your face. ive gotten tangled in rigging and breaking parts with those. working off ship, they are handy when making small parts.

reading glasses seem the best route for me. at least i can see up close in real work perspective. 

what it comes down to is personal choice for what fits you best. id say try them all till you find the right fit.

i think good lighting helps more than magnifyers.

Edited by paul ron

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

Unfortunately, there comes a time, when this doesn't help anymore 🥲

Eberhard, I laughed at your comment because it's all too true. All one can do is laugh at our frailties.

I use 5x glasses which can be bought for about $10 on line. I fly fish and also use them for fly tying and keep a pair on me when fishing to tie on tiny flies.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I bought the OptiVisor once, but it didn't fit my big noggin.  I wear a 7-7/8 fitted cap, so it needs to be BIG! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

On 6/5/2024 at 1:22 AM, Jim Lad said:

For fine work, I use a pair of magnifying reading glasses.

This is probably the best starting point for experimentation. They can be had for very small cost and generally provide a relatively wide focal range. I have desk mounted lamp magnifiers, optivisors, loupe, etc but usually come back to my £3 by 3 magnification eBay purchase reading glasses for convenience (with over-glasses when machining).

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

... absolutely and if you are myopic in addition, this multiplies the magnification you get out of your myopia, when you take off your normal glasses. For years I got the 3x magnification by just replacing my normal glasses with plain safety-glasses. Now I need the additional magnification of reading glasses 😢

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

34 minutes ago, amateur said:

And my nose is too small for two glasses to fit. 

Ah! - Jan - what you need is nose enhancement implants. 

Screenshot2024-06-10at11_26_16.png.f6cdefa379486d520fd104ed644b6157.png

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846