I have a similar MDF tool holder for my plastic models.  It allows me to work upstairs in my kitchen and hang out with my family, rather than work in my workshop.  Best yet, it's portable, which allows me to move it in and out of the kitchen as needed.  Seems like you are looking for a similar solution, so if you think this meets your needs, I'd consider it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Posted (edited)

I have two of these carts from Ikea.  I work at my dining room table and these make it easy to move my tools and equipment to the corner when not being used.

cartMedium.jpeg.bc10f877b2d683135073a7a362bbca3d.jpeg

Edited by SiriusVoyager

- Eric

In the shipyardSan Francisco Cross Section

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smackOcCre Palamos

Here's my set up using a parts bin from Home Depot and some Modular units from Hobbyzone. The units are made of strong material which I assembled with wood glue. I didn't include everything on my bench, various other Modular units. I included the link. The draw units are excellent and available in different sizes. HobbyZone USA Modular Workshop System Solutions

20240726_081248.jpg

On 7/26/2024 at 1:43 PM, Capt. Kelso said:

You didn't provide any details on the "product", who makes it? I've never seen it before.

If you are referring to the product in the original post, that appears to be the OcCre cabinet which can be found on MicroMark's website.

OcCre® Workshop Cabinet – Micro-Mark (micromark.com)

While it looks nice and tidy, if you plan on spending any length of time in this hobby, I would think you would outgrow this cabinet pretty quickly with more.... STUFF!  I know I have! 👍🤣

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

On 7/27/2024 at 5:34 PM, GGibson said:

If you are referring to the product in the original post, that appears to be the OcCre cabinet which can be found on MicroMark's website.

OcCre® Workshop Cabinet – Micro-Mark (micromark.com)

While it looks nice and tidy, if you plan on spending any length of time in this hobby, I would think you would outgrow this cabinet pretty quickly with more.... STUFF!  I know I have! 👍🤣

As far as out growing it.  No, I have an office in the shop that is my miniature workshop with the rest of my modeling tools.

This would be for taking to the house and have a few tools and materials to do a portion of a model or "build sub assemblies" for a larger model.

Would use this just for .....  building things that don't need all my power tools or even for that matter, all my hand tools.  Just enough tools and materials to do an evening or two in the house with the family.  Instead of being completely out of the house and in my woodshop building a model.

I'm looking for something that would not only store some tools but when I'm done for the night or day, I can put every thing in a safe place and keep what I'm modeling all in one place.  (hope that sounds right)

What I really would like is a Gerstner tool chest, but with a deeper top compartment so I could pack everything up and put the model I'm working on in the top of the chest.  But all or most all of them have a 3" deep top compartment and for most of what I would like to build would not fit.

I don't just build ships, (like most of us probably) I build HO scale structures, dollhouse furniture, and railroad cars, etc. and most of those things including a ship all be it a subassembly, I don't believe will fit in the top compartment.  I know an HO scale structure will not fit (which would be most of my building in the house).

Any ideas of what to use?   I have thought of just drawing up something that would work for me but thought maybe just maybe there is something already out there that would "fit the bill" and not have to recreate the wheel sorta speak.

Thank you to everyone that has responded, greatly appreciated.  Keep the ideas coming.  Might take all the ideas and take parts from each one and build something that maybe everyone could use in their modeling.

On 7/22/2024 at 5:22 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

I have a similar MDF tool holder for my plastic models.  It allows me to work upstairs in my kitchen and hang out with my family, rather than work in my workshop.  Best yet, it's portable, which allows me to move it in and out of the kitchen as needed.  Seems like you are looking for a similar solution, so if you think this meets your needs, I'd consider it.

You have a picture of what you use?

GGibson,

You made the comment that I would out grow the box I posted above.  

Just wanted to show you all what I've done in the past and my modeling bench that I've had for years.  It's a craftsman workbench with all drawers.  Works good, but as time has gone by, I have found myself working or wanting I to work at is a desk of some type with just a few tools to do small modeling projects.  No need for larger tools, power tools, just something that I could carry back and forth to the shop where my hobby shop is located.

Anyway, here are a picture of my workbench and the small box that the rolltop desk is sitting in front of worked but still not really what I was looking for.

Then I built (see video) and that works for the most part but no storage for a model in progress to keep safe.

Still thinking and wondering what to buy or build.  Keep ideas coming if you have something to share.  

Thanks again for all who commented.

IMG_4274.thumb.JPG.723cfee433b21d175c1b22cdfae84513.JPG

On 7/28/2024 at 7:44 PM, kgstakes said:

You have a picture of what you use?

This is what I have - I don't recall spending this much on it, but it's very sturdy and holds pretty much everything I need for my plastic models (tools, glues, etc.).  The handle makes it very easy to move around.  

https://www.amazon.com/LA-LMG-WO-18-Mobile-Workstation/dp/B086VRBZR5

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

This is what I have - I don't recall spending this much on it, but it's very sturdy and holds pretty much everything I need for my plastic models (tools, glues, etc.).  The handle makes it very easy to move around.  

https://www.amazon.com/LA-LMG-WO-18-Mobile-Workstation/dp/B086VRBZR5

Looks nice, but $115.99 does seem a tad expensive.  It looks like there are some other configurations at various price points.

I’ve seen a lot of them on line for tool storage and they’re great, but no place to store a model in progress.

I’ll take ideas from them and build a model “case” that stores tools and an area ( on top ) that could store a larger item.  

When I get it built I’ll post a picture

thanks to everyone for helping with ideas.

I suppose a place to store an Admiralty model in progress would be a roll-top desk.  You can find them at thrift or antique stores.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

12 hours ago, Dan Poirier said:

Looks nice, but $115.99 does seem a tad expensive.  It looks like there are some other configurations at various price points.

Yeah, I think I spent about 1/3 of that when I got mine a few years ago.  No clue why it's so expensive now.  

Mike

Been thinking about a “tool box” to carry tools and models back and forth.

Guess what?  Nah just get it to the shop and start building on the riverboat that I’ve not touched since my hand accident back in January.  Between moving (Nevada to Kansas) and starting a new job, setting up the wood shop and just life in general, I might get back to modeling this weekend.

As for the tool box, still in the making but not a priority as I thought I needed.

Thanks for the input and sometime down the road I may build something but for now I keep looking at the riverboat and yeah just need to get back at it.

I’ll start posting on my build log in a few days till then you all keep up the great work that each and everyone one of you do!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing some designing on a "portable" "workstation", something that can be taken off the wall (using french cleats to fasten to wall), and be either stored in a closet or taken to my woodshop where my hobby room is. Some place to build a model but still be in the house at night (more or less with family). But have all or most of my tools, paints, brushes, knives, etc. and still be able to close it up (with model inside) and place some where out of the way if need.

I'll probably build it out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood or maybe 3/4" with an oak veneer. Stain and finish so it will look like a wall cabinet but like I said before with a french cleat, you can take it down really easy if needed.

Here are some drawings.  Sorry the freebie program won't let me share the drawings (can save but not share) so I took pictures of them on my phone.  Sorry if they’re bad.

IMG_2694.thumb.jpeg.595affe1bbfa73e03e8354e382dea17c.jpeg

IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.ee0acd12f715b05899e34000dc9581a2.jpeg

IMG_2696.thumb.jpeg.fc92ebfec487cbb530183e91f666cca1.jpeg

Edited by kgstakes

On 8/8/2024 at 6:23 AM, kgstakes said:

...Between moving (Nevada to Kansas) and starting a new job...

Your portable toolbox design looks pretty cool!  Impressive!

To where in Kansas did you move?  I'm in a KC 'burb on the Kansas side.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Ahhh very good!  We have a local shipbuilders' group here in the KC metro.  I've only been a part of the group for a few years, but several veteran members have a ton of knowledge they share.  We meet the 2nd Sunday afternoon of every other month in KCMO. Next meeting is (I believe) this Sunday, Sept 8. I missed the July meeting, so need to verify.  It doesn't conflict with a Chiefs game, so think that's a good date. If it ever works out for you to join us for meetings, we'd love to send you details and have you join us!  Keep that in mind! 

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Occre workstation from the original post.  I find it works well for project storage - at present I'm doing kits, either cross-sections or workboats so the size works well.  I have it to the side of my main indoor modelling desk (where I do plastic models, figures, etc) so it's a place to keep some often-used tools and WIP. It sits on top of a set of Ikea "Alex" drawers which then hold more tools and supplies. 

Certainly the Occre one isn't quite enough for everything I'd use regularly, but it's a good extension to the drawers to hold clamps, files, small fittings, etc.  When I'm working on a wooden ship then it saves getting everything out or reconfiguring my main desk - although as per pics I still need ot set up Proxxon saw, drill press, etc, if using them. 

If I had more space (desk can't be longer due to a door), I'd definitely use other organisers.  But it works for now.

As for quality, the construction and instructions were good, once glued up it's really solid and does what it's supposed to.

Darren

drawers 1.jpg

drawers 2.jpg

Occre and desk.jpg

Occre close-up.jpg

Current Projects:

1//72 St Roch by Billings (modified/detailed)

1/48 HMS Sirius cross-section by Modeler's Shipyard (on hold)

1/72 HMS Vanguard cross section based on Victory Models full kit (researching)

Projects Awaiting Start:

1/48 HMS Endeavour cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/72 HMS Victory cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/24 Armed Longboat & English Pinnace (Model Shipways)