Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

thanks John.....a lot is riding on how much will be seen through the windows.   for now though,  it's clean up the helm area and get some primer on the deck  ;)     thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

Your builds are fun to read - you never know what you're going to learn! 

For some reason, whenever I hear this commercial on the tele, I think of you!!  

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Annd another one holliday for eyes

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

most actors are afraid of it happening to them......I guess it can happen to modelers too......I've been stereotyped :o    not that it's a bad thing Dee Dee........the M&M Fun Ship is my best concept build so far.   I'm hoping to surpass it,  but I'm finding it to be an uphill battle.  the admiral covets that ship........I STILL can't put a finger on it!  {not that I would ever change a thing to it}.   it's still relatively safe....but one of these days,  I need to make a case for it.   I like that commercial too.......thanks!  :)

thanks Nenad for the good word!   got a bit more to do on this one,  but then I'll have to get a move on with the tree boat,  and get that one up to speed  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Love that you broke out the dollhouse electronics!  Can't wait to see those wired up - surely will add a great touch!

Framing looks great Dennis,  coming along VERY VERY nicely.  Just plain love your builds.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Looking great Denis....why do I get the feeling that a deadline is looomin'  couldn't be anything to do with the fact that it is December now.....

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

She coming along great Denis. That's a great bit of framing, seems a shame to cover it.

I'm looking forward to the day when you start fitting her out mate, the world is your oyster and with your imagination it's gonna be wonderful.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Adam....the bad thing is,  is that I can only use those size bulbs.   this set up knocks  it down to 12 V......can't use LED........I have lights,  but no sockets for them.  I also found that the outlet bar that I got is like solid state......hard to take it apart without damaging it.  I need to look into it further.   we're making another trip to Hobby Lobby this week.  thanks for the good word  :)

thanks for the good word also Michael......no deadline.   they won't be finished this year.   my goal though,  is to get both hulls painted and set up for the deck fittings.   THEN........let the deadline begin!  ;)  I did get a giggle though........we picked up our tree at a lot that was set up behind the local Dairy Queen.  after seeing what this guy had for a tree wrapping table.......I'm absolutely positive.......that anything I can envision,  will come out looking stellar  :D  :D

thanks Mobbsie........it won't be for a while yet.   I hope your right......I'm flying by the seat of my pants  :D

thanks Omega....hope to have more soon  ;)   "god bless ye merry modeler"  {sounds like a 'shore leave' moment}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

just caught up - I love this set of builds - you do more between updates than I I am achieving in months

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks Kevin,  I'm glad to hear that your enjoying the build.  though a bit off the beaten path,  I hope to create subjects that could be conceived as real boats.  I'm trying to get as much done before the year's end........they'll be done for the 2015 holiday season  :)

BTW.......your Vic looks sweet as your avatar  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Bought a string of LED Christmas lights at Target last year.  You might try them.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I recall seeing some at Hobby Lobby as well.   LED is making quite a showing in the Christmas light dept this year.  I would need to see if they can be adapted to fit the transformer outfit I bought........it's still not too late,  in the event that I'll need to change anything.   I have to go there anyway........I'll take a look ;)  thanks Bob!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I bought the ones that have a battery pack and then replaced the batteries with a plug in adapter, because the batteries went dead too fast.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

come to think of it.......I do happen to have a whole bin of those adapters,  that I've collected through the years. something to think about.....;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.......as a matter of fact....I got the rest of the lighting stuff yesterday  {the admiral said no on the chandelier} :D   the tree boat should be able to make it to the table.   there's only a few more things to on the Jingle belle,  and then I can primer the deck area.

not much to report at the moment,  but I am trying to combine scavenger hunting with Christmas shopping.  hope to have some progress soon.

Bob........I bought a set of those ultra LED lights......takes two 1.5v batteries.   would I need to use a 3v adapter?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have a 3 volt on mine.

Bob

guess I need to go adapter diving...........it's a deep bin  ;)

thanks Bob and Dave  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 11 months later...

well.........this is interesting........guess I blew the deadline Michael :blink:      it's OK.......I'll just blame it on Andrea   ;) 

I've been having this nagging thought in the back of my mind........I've had this urge to play with windows and doors.  I've even had thoughts about siding.   I have quite a bit of that large mesh netting......my thoughts took me along the lines of how stained glass is made.   I took a strip of the netting and rolled it up on a dowel,  hanging the other end off of the box that holds the Titanic parts.   I painted it with copper paint.

post-612-0-27803800-1448584465_thumb.jpg

I might experiment with silver and gold........but copper seems a good start.   now,  I have two choices here for the glass part....I can use white glue {thick or thinned},  or I can try using the rest of the Testor's window maker {the stuff is old....it would be good to be able to use it up} to create it.   I have some smeared on plastic wrap at the moment to see if it will stick to it,  or I'll be able to peel it off with no problem.   while I was waiting for the copper paint to dry,   I started to make the doors for the front entrance.   I was going to make them operational,  but I think it would be best not to....they will look just as good.  I started with two equal pieces of 3/16 basswood.

post-612-0-65527700-1448584894_thumb.jpg

I gave them an outer border,  filling in the seams with wood putty.

post-612-0-77797800-1448584993_thumb.jpg

they were then sanded.......all the while,  being fitted to the opening.

post-612-0-30541600-1448585104_thumb.jpg

I am going to accent the siding with molding along all the edges........windows,   doors,  and corners.   two pieces were fitted along the edge of the bulwarks,  more will be fitted along the deck and around the door opening.   the windows still need to be trimmed out and sanded flush with the exterior shell,  so they can be fitted.

post-612-0-85501000-1448585355_thumb.jpg

..........darn crane light...........I bumped it with my head and it blew the bulb! :stunned:   I got another and fixed it :Whew:   to dress up the doors a bit more,  filler blanks were made for the upper and lower voids.   they were put back in place,  so I could show the admiral.

post-612-0-92212400-1448585732_thumb.jpg

she was a little disappointed that she won't have them this year........she has been very good ;)    she understands though how my mind wanders.........she extended my deadline.   but,  if I don't deliver..........I get coal! :(    I did mention that there are some parts that I desperately needed......could I add them to this years Christmas list.    I got.........the look <_<

checking in on my experiment,  I find that the plastic wrap won't do........the window maker sticks to it quite well.  I've got wax paper as the next test.   while this is drying,  I can make the window frames.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick  :)   ........baited breath........hmmmmmm,  I wonder how that saying came to be?!  did someone get drunk and eat some worms?  EWWWW!

sorry.......couldn't resist :D  :D    we have that same phrase here in the states.......I believe George Carlin came up with the punch line ;)   I think it was right before he came up with the seven words you can't say on television  ;)    you are very welcome to follow along !

as I was writing this update,  another idea came to me.   I have a few of the tack line decorations that I didn't use for the Half Moon.   all I needed to do,  was add the rings,  and came up with a pair of door knockers........courtesy of Scrooge and Marley !

post-612-0-76690900-1448592530_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-66476300-1448592544_thumb.jpg

well........the wax paper did work.......but the window maker took the finish off the paper,  making it kinda cloudy.   you know,  I really don't know why this is so important.   if I came up with crystal clear windows,  I would have to finish out the interior.  it would mean........interior wall coverings,  floor coverings,  furniture,  Tiffany lamps,  staffing and customers.   with cloudy windows,  I can skimp with just a couple simple oil lamps.  I ran it by the admiral.   she just gave me the look.. <_< 

right..........stick with the K.I.S.S. method.........I understand :huh: .............. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice pair of knockers on the doors Denis they almost look like lions heads, now that would be neat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hey Denis! Sweet doors! Can you resize it to 1/10 and send by working ants?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Door knockers?  Tiffany lamps?  You forgot the Waterford crystal.   ;)  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Denis

I'm hooked! What is you deadline? This year or 2016 or 2017?

The doors looks great, can't wait for the windows!

I'm curious to know what you are making?

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

a big hello to everyone........thanks for the kind word and the likes  :)    I know I've been rather spotty lately.......it was a good feeling having the time to try out a few ideas, and be at the table.  ;)

Michael.....believe it or not,  those are lion's heads  :)    Corel was very kind to send me some for my Half Moon {review that log and you will see them}.....I saw them when Jct did his Corel build of the same ship.   I only needed six,  but Corel sent me ten of them.  so cool the idea came to used them......kinda fits the season,  don'cha know  ;)

John.....yea,  time is a bit tighter.   I took on a part time job recently......it varies how often I work,  so it does affect my table time to some degree.  but no,  I won't let it get in the way of my desire to put ideas to wood  ;)

are you kidding Nenad?   the detail you put to those cabin structures really made me envious.......definitely an idea I want to try one of these days.

no.........no Mark!    I don't want to get the look again.......... <_<    it's been known to turn victims to stone!!! :unsure:

Greg........this is a concept I came up with a year or two ago.   it was to be three boats,  but one of them ran off to Hollywood to become the Andrea Gail.  I guess it figured that I couldn't make a star out of it >har-umph<   this particular one will be called the  'Jingle Belle' ......it is to be the caroler's boat.  the structure on the aft is a warming house.........you know.......get warm,  hot coco,  study your lines {uhhhhhh,  you were a little flat......ALVIN!}    there are a few other goodies I want to add to her.  we'll see what come out  ;)   be welcome to review the log........way too much for me to remember  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

if I came up with crystal clear windows,  I would have to finish out the interior.  it would mean........interior wall coverings,  floor coverings,  furniture,  Tiffany lamps,  staffing and customers.  

Now that would really dress it up.

Bob