Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

I've made some head-way today.......almost ready to go.   I do thank all of you for the comments.......things are good for the moment.  I hope we haven't been fed a load of cow bunk.......something to be seen, to be believed.   the cold is a little bit better......I will look into your remedy John...........151.....here we come!    thank you as well Anja...:)

yepper John.......I haven't done a scavenger hunt as of yet.......that's really going to give me the direction they will take.  the first one is decided,  the second one is at the  'good idea'  stage,  and the third one is sort of on the fence.......I can't seem to come up with a good way to convince the wise men,   that it is OK to be on a boat.

"OK.......guys,  it's like this...........Dramamine.....all you can handle!   just make believe it's a mirage.....should be used to that crap by now!"

either that,  or try convincing elves that it's OK............

"Yea.....yea,  I know...........candy canes melt when wet!  that's why they come in cello wrappers!    as far as the presents go......try using color-fast paper!"

so,  while I wade through all the logistical problems,  I still need to take stock of the fittings I'm going to need.   I have some time,  since it will be a while before the hulls are to that point.   I have made one decision.......I will plank the bulwarks.    this way I can cut the scuppers where I want them.   I want to add additional posts.   as mentioned.....I will try to make this as interesting as possible.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Did someone mention Mirage?  Don't we already have one of those :D  :D :D  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

At least you're getting back into order, Popeye! Take care of that cold (rum and lemon is supposed to be good).

John

I always took Hot sweet tea with a shot of whiskey.

Whatever take care of yourself.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

hey Ron.......no.....the Goth looks like that......for now anyway  :)   I'll be picking up on that build when I begin again.  the Goth is on the table,  along with the America........I need to fix it from a separate problem that it suffered.   almost back on track   thanks for the good word!

thanks Adam.........hmmmmmmmm rum and whiskey........sounds like a nip and tuck.........one nip and they tuck you away for the night!   Hee.........Hee!!!!!   tell ya what........I'll forgo the fruit,  and just chase'em with a beer!   OK......gotta go drink....errrrrrrr take,  my meds now! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

put the lime in the coconut

an' drink'em both together

put the lime in the coconut

an' den you feel'in better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

OK.....another shot from Bob..........oh, that's good!   that'll pick me up.......{an' lay me back down too!}

the mirage comes later........that is.......if any more  'good stuff'  comes along,  Augie  :)

that's another one of my logistical problems Wayne........Rudolf refuses to sit at the bow!  perhaps you can send me down a few  'stand ins'  :D :D :D :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye I hope your cold gets better - Whisky (scotch) and honey

Now for the daft laddie question.... What is it your are building? I guess I mean what is the theme bit about?

A truely confused Scot *-)

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I 'like'  ALL of your comments guys  {*hic*} 

post-612-0-01055300-1384381654.jpeg

thanx for yer support!!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's what we're all here for buddy,  to give you s@#$, a quick kick, and get well.....nothing worse than a darn cold in winter.....uccchhhh.  now, go have a toddy....Sir!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

guy kinda looks like Alfred Newman.......I like'em !  :)

hello Craig........I see that your fairly new......welcome to the forum....with decorum {and some wicked cool ships too} :D :D :D   I like to do 'off the beaten path' projects.  I had a very good time with my last one,  the M&M fun ship.   I wanted to do another one,  but I wanted to do something a bit more complex.........so I came up with this project.   it is to be three ships,  all of them are to follow a Christmas holiday theme.   at the moment,  I really can't say what the individual subjects are......this will be decided when the hulls are planked and the deck layout is established.   I should have started this project earlier,  but other thing kept pushing them back.   I'm hoping they will be finished sooner,  but I'm looking at the 2014 season,  as a finish date.   hope your intrigued enough to follow along  ;)

gee thanks John........I'm feeling better already.......I'm 2 down now,  I'm behind!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well........ I see you're at again!!! THREE ships this time.... you are really amazing!! Popeye...  sorry to read about your moving nightmare,

but like Michael said, things always turn out for the best....... oh yeah........stop your sanding in the living room :D :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

as you can see Frank.......there will be NO more sanding in the living room  {the admiral saw that,  by the way}.    I moved everything back to the way it was.......looks like I'm going to need the table space.   yea,  it was a bad thing that happened,  but the problem has been resolved  {for now}  and thing are getting back to normal.   I'm able to work at the table again  {yeaaaaa},   so I can get some work done.

amazing.....or crazy

it's too soon to tell

thanks Frank for the comment

I wish you well  ;)

thanks Craig.......welcome.....I hope to make thing clear,  as soon as I can  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good to hear that things are settling back down.  Who needs turmoil when we have ships to build?   Or does turmoil and shipbuilding go hand-in-hand? :)  :huh:

I think Adam had the recipe almost right... something about water though.  It just doesn't seem right. :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that's right Mark.......as a matter of fact,  I did do just a little today.   but,  then I got side tracked with a couple of errands.   I even cleaned the cellar up a bit........third floor had their laundry down there...........for nice folks........they were a bit sloppy with their lint balls and dryer sheets.   so, I swept the floor and took out the trash.    I wasn't asked to do it.......I just couldn't stand it any more.   it's too bad that the admiral enjoys having me close,  like we are........I could make one heck of a workshop down there!   there is so much room!

oh,  well........I guess I should count my lucky stars on that :)    I should have an update soon,  and again,  thanks for the ideas on cold remedies.......truth be told,  I kinda steer away from the corn squeez'ins..........I got tired of waking up in other people's clothes.  I'm feeling much better now........should be back to my comedic self soon ^_^

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye. Yes you have me hooked! I can't wait to see what they look like

It would appear Popeye that you are better at hooking things than Augie, perhaps he could take a few lessons from you. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

No cold remedies I'm afraid, just climb inside any bottle, that should do the job. Bummer about the move mate, your landlords a git. :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :angry:

Take care and be good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie,

Is there a fishing contest on the go?

Hope I'm not the bait :D

Right off to do some gun port linings. Maybe actually start the build log this weekend - if my son has not nabbed the laptop again :(

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

thanks Mobbsie.......I'm doing better...;)   almost done with my update.   I want to get all three done before I show you folks

thanks for the good word!  :)

you'll have to post me a link to your build log Craig.......very interested to see what your up to.   no contest......you'll get used to us guys....we tend to grow on people :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

All three DONE :unsure: before you show us?????   Then this is to be a suspense log???  Aaaakkkkk!!!!!! 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dang - we may need a LOT more popcorn and beverages to await that next update!!!

Good thing "he who shall not be named" is busy this weekend else the demand for pictures would go much higher!

Glad you are feeling better, Popeye!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Did someone mention fishing????  I hasten to point out that the term IS fishing, not 'catching'  :D  :P  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Popeye, ;)

Sorry to hear about the third floor ripoff. Basically I think that it's the same all over the world. Here in Malta, The top floors are being rented out at day light robbery fees, just because some idiots introduced the idea of high level views. As if what? I pay extra money to get a view of other buildings roof tops - now that's a sight to remember - the city roof ghettos.

Don't worry mate, just take your time to settle in, and let destiny and your able hands, do the rest.

Any way - your three build project is fabulous. Will try to keep up and follow this thread.

Your projects are always a pleasure to follow. The way you finish and decorate them, makes us realise that we probably practise the most wonderful hobby and past time of them all.

Well done.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

I think 'freedom' would be a better term Augie........'cuz when you out there.....the real world is left behind.....utter PEACE!  :)

yes Mark........suspense.........but I hope to make you laugh as well  :)

I read your comment on your log Bob.......I am almost back to normal  {or a reasonable facsimile,  thereof}   I thank you good sir for the thought  ;)

can't touch me copper...........I have a get out of jail free card  {I got them from an old monopoly game I threw away}   I have something for you Sjors ;)

thank you Paul for the good word.   this should be a fun ride.......it's a very wide range subject :)

OK.........OK.......John,  no more holding out  :)     if I do real good on these.......does this mean you'll come visit me again? :)    {just a thought.......>giggle<}

OK........well,  I have the first two hull's  deck beams in place........Curly want to be a bit difficult.   Here is Moe.   he needed a bit of surgery in the beginning......a couple of ribs were a little out of line.

post-612-0-09070600-1384786952_thumb.jpg

it's hard to see here....but #3 & #5 were a little out.  I had to crack them free and align them with the handy alignment tools I have here......two 1/4 square strips.    inside is how I would like them to look.

post-612-0-88566800-1384787244_thumb.jpg

with the ribs adjusted,  the strips were cemented into place.  I did have to make adjustments in the slots as well,  to run them as straight as possible.   I used pins to hold the strips in place as they dried.   I was not that good with cutting the parts out.......that will all be sanded away later.

post-612-0-79141900-1384787971_thumb.jpg

the cut away in rib #6 presents an interesting question.....what to do with it.  since I am not going to be following the Billing's design,  I can do a number of things.   this is the cut out for the pilot house.   the pilot house can be of any design......one of them,  I might even try to go for the  'lobster boat' design,  open on one side.   most pilot houses are located in the center,  keeping with the  'balance' of the hull.......ie.......weight distribution.   what if I were to install one,  say.........centered to the port side?

post-612-0-22047300-1384788391_thumb.jpg

the cut away at the stern is of no consequence......the other two doesn't have it.   the stern will be built up with a bulwark,  and may also have a cabin  'office' {i know the first one  'Moe' will have one}.   the deck beams now has support,  by the added small piece of wood under them.   on this one,  I may elect to cut out the extra wood and add the 1/4 inch to the deck....I think it might look better.  but,  on the other hand,  if I do have an 'office'  back there,  I can fit the walls into it,  and this will never show.  {gee, I'm so glad I have you folks to talk to.......you make me see reason  :)}

post-612-0-47492100-1384789054_thumb.jpg

the same support is done at rib #6.   so far,  I've found the same measurement here with Larry,  as I did with Moe........1 1/4 inch from the deck line to the fore deck.  again,  it's going to depend on the pilot house,  as for whether or not I will need to install stairs at the entrance.......or inside,  for that matter.

post-612-0-31938200-1384789311_thumb.jpg

this isn't a good picture,  as for how level the deck beams are........or even how I kept with the curvature of the deck.   I'll get a better one later.   I might have given it too much of a curve,  but it's the same amount that the Boulogne Etaples has.......I might even sand some of it out.   I still need to add in the rest of the deck beams,  since in the Boulogne kit......there is a large hole in the middle of the deck. 

this will be filled in.......I'll need all the deck I can get!   I'll do a hold,  or a companionway......some sort of access to below deck.   for now though,  the focus is to get the bulwarks in place,  scuppers cut,  waterways and decking done {for the scuppers}.   the faring comes first though.......gonna be hard though.......this is some tough plywood  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

And we're off....................

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

you'll have to post me a link to your build log Craig.......very interested to see what your up to.   no contest......you'll get used to us guys....we tend to grow on people :D :D :D :D

Need to find out how to add a link to my signature. Not easy on an iPad. In the meantime I am building the Granado if you want to look in

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Larry was a bit different........the frame was in better shape.    there weren't too many adjustments I had to make........just the slots for the deck beams.

post-612-0-26409900-1384790461_thumb.jpg

the port side beam was right in the ballpark,  so it was cemented in place.........the starboard side though, I had to do some adjustments

post-612-0-64989400-1384790658_thumb.jpg

it was a bit off the line with the cut outs {I didn't remove them} for the beams,  at the stern.  I need to move it more inward,  so it will fall into place with the cut out.

post-612-0-88770900-1384791295_thumb.jpg

the forward deck beams were good.......    what needed to be done here,  was to adjust the slots for rib #2 & #1,  so the curvature on the starboard side,  would match the port side.

post-612-0-92128300-1384791823_thumb.jpg

once the adjustment was done,  the beams were supported at the stern.   there still needed to be a little more,  I found.........I made these adjustments after it had dried.   then the re-cement.

post-612-0-90858100-1384792012_thumb.jpg

the forward beams were supported........I did have to look at it in disbelief....it looks a bit off.   the reason is that the port side is a bit wavy in the cut......after I sand and fare,  this will be taken care of.

this hull design is a really cool design to play with.  what I am doing here,  is the alignment of the main deck first,  and the bow deck second.  the cool part is.......there isn't much faring to do with the upper part of the main deck,  it runs fairly uniform.   all of the faring pertains to the bow.....and it's quite pronounce.   I can even change it,  so the 'V' hull has more curve,  as it reaches the bow stem.   the stern  will run smooth......curve at the turn,  with another to blend in the shoe.  

post-612-0-29281000-1384793020_thumb.jpg

here is the picture I should have shown you with Moe........the curve of the deck.   it will need some sanding,  I'm sure.......but with that,  I can add or subtract how much there is,  depending on the subject.  I do intend to build up the posts,  as well as add some in,  but I will do that once the deck is in place.  I should have an update on Curly soon........I had to laugh {I did it to myself,  so the admiral wouldn't think I was going loony}.   I was looking at them.......I know I won't get confused with which one is which {for now}.....but I don't want you folks to get confused.   so,  for now,  I wrote their names on the frames,  so you would be able to tell them apart.  I do it as such:

Moe:    totally made up of the 1/4 blonde plywood

Larry:   3/16 oak plywood ribs with the 1/4 blonde plywood keel

Curly:  totally made up of the 3/16 oak plywood

with that said........I'd better get back to work.......yes........it feels good to be on the move again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yes we are Augie........now to get the other table operational  ;)

will do Craig  ;)   on the computer,  it can be done from your name box,  in the upper left hand corner,  in the heading. never used an I-pad my friend.......hope you can get it sorted out  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: