Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

I've been looking at some of the dollhouse porch lamps to see if I can bash or fashion something for my Santa Maria's aft. We shall see.

- Bug

sconce lamps.......sure,  sounds doable.   you might even find some unique shapes in the bead Isle.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking good Popeye happy new year i hope you get that Isuzu sorted soon.,i do love your fishing boats come pleasure craft come party boats for lost M&M's.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

thanks Ron......I hope you had a wonderful holiday as well :)   yes,  I hope to get back on the crazy train,  and go full throttle!  I was told that I would have the SUV back soon......very tired of this one car crap!   enjoy my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

sometimes you can find some neat stuff in the doll house section....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

well Lawrence.......with the scratch builds,  the work area IS the parts inventory :D    but,  with the kit builds,  I have all the parts in boot boxes {the original boxes are much too large}.   when I want to work on a particular build,  I just pull the box out and have a go.   the instructions have the part lists,  so I'm not too worried about the strip stock.....I can find the wood sizes there.   I also tend to bash my builds a bit........I stick somewhat with the plans,  but I may alter things here and there,  and that may change the size of the wood I use.   I'm working towards an update......soon,  I hope.   thanks for looking in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Finally caught up a big Dennis! Looking good as always, and dollhouse parts - egads my friend, I have been trying to figure out what to use for some hinges on the willie for months....  DOLLHOUSE hinges (why the heck didn't I think of that!!)

Excellent!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I'm still on the look out Lawrence........always glad to help :)   2014 has started a bit slow........planking,  planking.....and more planking.  I'm getting bored {board :D }    I've also been thinking about one of my past builds......I kinda walked away from it,  with one aspect still to be done.  so,  I'm mulling over something for that.  with all of the builds I have in the works.......you never know where an update will occur ;)

check for scale relation Adam.......it's all I can tell you.   another place to look would be places where they sell railroad accessories...N scale,  or perhaps a bit larger...    you'd be surprised with what you can find.   but sure....check'em out and see if they can be used.

thanks for the good word and looking in.....glad to see you here  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Let's get busy ..... boy!  need update pictures.....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

update?????.......................................boy??.........................OK!  well,  I took this plank and put it here.............and I took that plank and put it there...........it's all very ad - nausium :D :D :D :D    I did take a few pictures last week........I should have posted them,  but i wanted to wait till I had something  a bit more..........positive.     here they are as of last week.

post-612-0-17420200-1389703082_thumb.jpg

this is the hull dubbed Larry........I've started to do some tapering to the planks.   I need to defeat the planks wanting to rise off of rib #6,  creating a gap.

post-612-0-13516400-1389703640_thumb.jpg

this is the hull dubbed Curly........as you can see,  it seems to want to do the same thing.   I may have fared the rib a bit too much as well.

post-612-0-17659700-1389703768_thumb.jpg

the hull dubbed Moe........just sits in the back and laughs.   I haven't gotten to that point with him yet,  so when I do,  I will begin to taper the planks earlier.

moving along to the present day planking job........Curly is moving towards becoming completely planked.   I'll need to make an adjustment on Larry.......so I halted progress for the moment.  it's not too bad though.......after sanding and some putty to fill in the plank lines,  I should come up with a decent hull shape.

post-612-0-34723500-1389704707_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26161200-1389704720_thumb.jpg

......still,  in a line-up.......they all look the same

post-612-0-55742100-1389704785_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48557000-1389704805_thumb.jpg

I still have the United States on the other table.......debating whether to plank the decks or not,  at this time.  all I know,  is that it is not going back out in the hallway.   I have other things on my mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye, it looks like a real shipyard now.....many projects underway at the same time....Planking looks really good .... man, planking 3 at a time and playing with plastic at the same time......ok, nice update......looking forward to more...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Nice shot of the shipyard Popeye.  Are those paper towel and toilet paper rolls holding your excess lumber, pens, etc?  That's brilliant!  

TOTALLY stealing that idea...

- Bug

yepper John.......this is where I am........and I am getting bored.   I'm going to be switching gears real soon here.....it won't be the United States though........I still have to do some painting on the hull and stuff,  before I go cementing decks.   but,  I gotta do something else,  before I go ga ga!

glad you like the organizer Bug.......you are correct.    there are toilet paper rolls,  paper towel rolls.......and the big ones in the back are tubes that I got planking shipped to me in.   I used a hole saw attachment  to make the wells in a piece of pine board and I cemented them in.    all different sizes for different lengths,  and the big ones in the back are reserved for the wood strips for the kits I'm working on.  I posted some pictures of it in one of my builds.  if you would like to see it  {if you can't find where I posted them}....just let me know,  and I'll post them here. 

thanks Sjors and John........yup!  still planking:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more with the scavenger hunt .......although I have a feeling that the holiday part of it might have to wait.   it's OK.......I guess.......there's still a lot to do before the decor goes on.   the hunt took a different direction as well.   I went to Hobby Lobby in the hopes that they carried the model master semi gloss lacquer for the Half Moon.   I didn't see it in the 1 oz bottles.......however,  I did find it in the rattle can.

they only had it in gloss and flat........I chose the flat  {of course}

post-612-0-12251300-1390406551_thumb.jpg

I also took a look in the clearance area as well.........I didn't need it,  but it was too good a deal to pass up! 

post-612-0-39800600-1390406661_thumb.jpg

this is the 'Amazing air airbrush kit' that I have been raving about.   this kit sells for about $30.00....it comes with the airbrush,  adapted to a can of compressed air  {included}......the caps for the 1/4 oz bottles....siphon tubes and wire cleaner.....and this one comes with five bottles of paint.  this one,  I found out later,  comes with acrylic paints.  I don't use them....but I'll find a use for them somewhere ;)

someone bought it......used it and made a mess of it.....and then returned it.  the price in itself,  was enough to make me snatch it up!

post-612-0-12428800-1390407045_thumb.jpg

the airbrush wasn't seen in the tray.......I later found it tucked underneath the tray inside the box.  all I saw was the can of air,  the caps,  and the paints.....still looked like a good deal for me.   I have had mine for well over a year now.........through repeated cleaning,  the caps do get worn and I've had to throw a couple away.   I adapted mine to run off of my big compressor.......I will probably do the same thing to this one.   I haven't bothered to experience it,  but I have heard that if the can is used,  it tends to ice up when used for a prolonged period........when in use,  the can should be put in a bowl of warm water to prevent this from happening.   I noticed that there was another sticker under the clearance sticker........being curious,  I had to see what they had marked it down to previously.......it was $10.19...

what a deal!

post-612-0-71160700-1390408073_thumb.jpg

the airbrush itself.......it is a siphon system.......siphon tubes are inserted in the caps,  which in turn,  are screwed onto the 1/4 oz bottles {Testor's,  Pactra,  Humbrol }.  the tubes are missing in the kit,  but I'm sure I can find suitable tubing to replace them.  Testor's sells empty 1/4 oz bottles......but you can buy the small bottles of thinner......I usually buy the larger bottles and just dump them in....there you go....empty bottles!   I had to clean it up a little.......I can see what happened.   instead of using the acrylic paint......they used enamel......and they didn't thin the paint.   two of the caps were used,  and they were caked with paint.  since the caps are made of a soft plastic.....I soaked them in a soapy solution,  and removed almost all of the paint........I just have to clean the nozzles.  I can just imagine the mess that insued!

post-612-0-09478000-1390409740_thumb.jpg

closer inspection of the can fitting shows that there is some damage........not sure how many cans can be used before this has to be replaced........or,  if you can get this fitting.   this is a good reason for adapting it to a small compressor,  or as I have done.   I have two other airbrushes......an Aztek A320 siphon feed with every tip I'll ever need,  and a Spraycraft gravity feed that comes complete with a compressor.   I haven't had the need to use them yet......they are still new in the box.  I had originally bought the 'amazing air camo kit'....comes with flat paints.  the only thing I can say about this kit,  is that you can't do fine lines.......but for general painting and stenciling,  it works great.

I figured I'd go off on this little tangent........at the moment,  my battery drill is charging up for the next update........it should be ready by now  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more with the planking.......a small advancement here,  but I cut out the parts for the stands,  and thought I would assemble them, so they will be ready when I need them.   one of the stand parts was cut  inside the punch-out for one of the ribs,  so I don't have the template.   I traced them from the Boulogne stand.  I did a little sanding after I had cut them out,  and now I need to drill the holes for the dowels that connect the two ends together.

post-612-0-23414500-1390413284_thumb.jpg

the hull I dubbed Curly is almost done......I just have to close up one side.  I can them do the filler and sanding........I've done some sanding already.

post-612-0-80030200-1390413374_thumb.jpg

the hull dubbed Larry is still the next in line

post-612-0-96840000-1390413404_thumb.jpg

....and the hull dubbed Moe has retired to the closet....his ribs hurt from the laughing spell earlier.  he's out of sight,  but not out of mind.

post-612-0-19144000-1390413574_thumb.jpg

I also want to get a feel for the deck platforms.   if your following the Boulogne Etaples build,  you saw the hole in the center of the deck that I had to fill in.   with these decks,  I don't want to have to do that,  so I want to try making them as a one piece platform.   I will be doing one of them a bit differently,  since LED lighting will be installed......that,  I still need to do some testing and set up on.   these are the parts panels the platforms will be traced from

post-612-0-31617700-1390413901_thumb.jpg

I'll be doing more with the stands soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, you're unstoppable!  Good choice on the 'flat' lacquer.  I use the brush on myself....works magic.

And an airbrush!  OK, get yourself some big plastic bags so you don't wind up painting the living room.  I'm sure you'll master the techniques quickly.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I airbrush in the cellar in the winter..........in the garage in the summer months.  I'd love to make a booth for in the house......but the admiral would kill me! :)   I'm not a big user of the rattle can,  since I turned to the airbrush.......but I used my Christmas money.  :)   I was so tempted to buy the Ecto-1........they also had the Richard Petty car in 1/16 scale........that would have been cool too  ;)

the admiral shares your thoughts as well John........you should have seen the look on her face when she found out about the eight builds in que :D :D :D :D    I really don't need another airbrush........but at that price,  I couldn't pass up the spare parts  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm actually looking for the first Batmobile......from the series.   I have Keaton's Batmobile.....that was a fun build..........bland,  but fun none the less.  :)

I answered a post on 'old' and 'ugly' builds......not that I'm embarrassed by them,  but I guess it's good that I finally get some pictures of them....for posterity,  of course.   from there,  I went on to cleaning a few of my aircraft builds.......so,  pardon the clutter,  I also got back on to making the stands.   the parts were sanded some more and the holes for the dowels were drilled.   two of them mirror the stand for the Boulogne.....the last one I did a bit differently,  since I ran out of that size dowel.

post-612-0-46658500-1390587287_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12235000-1390587301_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-75695300-1390587361_thumb.jpg

so,  now I have all the stands ready for the hulls......now to get back to the hulls.   in spite of the problems plaguing the hull dubbed Curly.......I pressed on.   not completely sure if it's a faring issue,  or I didn't begin the tapering at the right time {probably both},  the starboard side ended up with a couple bad spots.  as the port side was being done,  they were adjusted with filler to straighten them out.   I ended up with a small area to fill in.

post-612-0-05562300-1390587965_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70356900-1390587974_thumb.jpg

the area was filled in and left to dry overnight.   this morning,  I did some filling to the port side,  after some sanding.   this is where the hull dubbed Curly is at,  right now.

post-612-0-03108600-1390588110_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-72586900-1390588121_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-50817600-1390588133_thumb.jpg

the hull dubbed Larry will be next..........I'm going to cut and remove a portion of the last planks laid,  in an effort to correct the problem.   lucky for the hull dubbed Moe........the planking hasn't progressed as far as these two.   I think the faring went better with Moe though.......it made totally of the 1/4 inch thick plywood.......none of that oak stuff.   I will miss how easy it is to pin the planking though,  the regular plywood is a lot denser than the oak stuff.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yepper John........one slash on the scorecard for me!  :)

I spent part of the day today getting the other builds out of the hallway,  and into the computer room closet.   it's just too cold in the hallway........and I don't see the weather changing for the better none too soon.  so,  before anything happens to them,  I moved them to a warmer place.

I did more sanding on the hull.....looks a lot better,  but still needs a bit more.  I had the boulogne Etaples on the table......I used the stand to trace out the parts for the other stands.   once I got the hull sanded,  I put it on a stand....the comparison between the hull and the Boulogne is uncanny.......I've created the perfect clone!

post-612-0-54614100-1390599159_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-41636200-1390599171_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-19526600-1390599179_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49935600-1390599192_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81856100-1390599200_thumb.jpg

I hated the mess........I cleaned it up.....don't need the admiral getting angry at me.   the hull dubbed Larry is on the mat........the next victim........BWaaahahahahahahaha!  {evil Popeye laugh}   the main table is clean as well.....I have one side job that needs some space.   then,  it's on to other things  ;)

post-612-0-47672900-1390599555_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-72790600-1390599565_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis do you ever sleep??, I'm tired just reading about your build schedule.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great stuff that filler ! ! !

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

it's going to save my butt Bob!    Curly looks better already! :D :D   I've already done some sanding.........add a little more.  it  really isn't that bad of a tweak job.

oh.....I do Michael.........I nap!   during the day,  if I feel tired,  I go to my recliner  ;)   Gibbs loves it.........he sees me go in there,  he grabs a chewie,  and lays on the floor by my feet!   he's a 'daddy's' dog  :)

I see where....and what....I should be doing.  I was trying so hard to make the most of the planking that I have on hand,  I kinda lost sight of the 'planker's etiquette'.   when I begin on Larry,  I will point out the problems and what should have been done.

thank you for your kind comments and likes.........I appreciate your stopping by!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I would love nothing more to spend the rest of my life,  standing on a beach,  counting waves ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Look at them go!  Wood flying , planks laying, stands a building....   it is wonderful!!

Nice deal on the airbrush.  I haven't been up to Hobby Lobby yet,  keep meaning to see what they have in there.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull