Rattlesnake by JPett - Model Shipways - Scale 1/64th - Kit #MS2028

Very well done JP, I for one think you've done an excellent job on the hull planking, shows what patience and a will to learn will give great results in the end.

I look forward to see how you whitewash turns out, just remember as always to test on scrap wood before you commit it to the hull, just to be sure you like the effect.

Ben

looks like I would think  'taper'..........looks like it narrows toward the bow stem

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

All I can saw is wow. As for the color options, I feel like a student telling the teacher what to do. I know the basswood is tough to stain. Keep up the good work!

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

JP, great job!! I am even jealous-er now. And no, I would never let jealousy lead to destruction, thats too much like destroying a book or art. It gives me/us something to strive for. As far as your color, have you considered one of the Watco Danish oils or perhaps a dark or ruby shellac? Rockler has these in flake form. There is always the option of a washcoat of clear before you stain. Whatever you choose with the patience and resolve you have shown with your planking I have no doubt your going to end up with a model you can be very proud of. 

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

JP,

Great work on the planking. Her hull looks rather 'smashing' ;) . I like the idea to make a reference for future builds to fall back on!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ahoy Mates :D

Thank you all for your encouraging words

Ben: Getting consistent results has been very difficult for me. Some tests come out great; others look like “hell”. I really want to avoid a crapshoot when I do my hull and continue to try to refine my technique. The wood has not been very helpful.  

Popeye: The problem in the stern is they taper, and then flare. It has been a difficult area  for me to plank.

Eric: Anything you have to offer, especially when it comes to finishing would be greatly appreciated. I am not the teacher, just the guy who does his homework.

Ferit: This would be true if I had your skill. Currently I am on a ship called ‘persistence”.    

Sam: I looked into darker stains you mentioned. I can not however get Basswood to take them in anyway that would be considered acceptable.

Carl: I have found that for me to write them down I have to properly work out the steps. This is the biggest benefit for me

Back to the build:

It should be noted that my “brute force and superstition” to get that last two planks in at the same time method might need to be rethought. I had what only could be considered a mild disaster. The last two planks would not go in all the way where they met the stern post; glue spread everywhere including the starboard side. It was not a good day in the shipyard, fun ran out of the room like it was on fire. It was a kick in the ars to say the least but thankfully in the end, repaired with some creativity. Only one pic, I was a little too busy at the time for them. :P

On the bright side, this did result in an interesting way to fill seams on basswood planks. Comments welcome

First, I apply painters tape to both sides of the offending seam, then use a cut toothpick to trough PVA glue into it (like when doing sheetrock). Remove the tape, then use a paper towel moistened with alcohol to clean up any glue outside the seam (very important). Heat with RC heat gun to dry the wood, then sand the area forcing dust into the seam. When done blow off excess and liberally wet area with brush.  I will post pics if there is any interest.

post-108-0-60052700-1367779363_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

interesting way of doing this ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ahoy Popeye :D

If you are talking about the pic "there is an explaination" lol

If your referring to the seam filling, It was the only way I could come up with that did not stain the Basswood. Stuff is like a sponge

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

I use that method of seam filling sometimes.    I quite agree with you about the way basswood sucks up stain........I have pidctures of the Susan A  that tell the story............light stain............very light stain :)

no need to explain about the ship in the closet............I keep skeletons in mine  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

JP,

You're doing great.  Your persistence is paying off.  Yes, planking is a bear but it looks like you're one of the masters.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for coming to my planking party, “last call for planksl”

Mark: If I am a master, it is of listening to others like you. Thank you, your log has been very helpful.

Martin: not all of us can afford mink.

Back to the build: :pirate41:

The last plank on my hull was installed last night. I started planking on 01/10/13 and finished 05/06/13. There was a three-week interlude and I estimate it took me no less then 120 hours to plank this hull (Best guess is 150). As much as I found planking a very enjoyable experience, I am glad to be done. The last plank went in without any resistance, which was nice; the second to last took six attempts to fit.

As for planking the Ratt, please find below my overview/notes.

1) Mark the entire hull as per the planking practicum here on MSW. This work, which I called Ratt-Lines, was long, tedious, and boring as hell when I did it: I will do this with more enthusiasm next time because now I know how much work it saves. 

2) Double, triple and quadruple check the fillers before starting. Especially in the stern. Once you commit it takes ten times longer to correct any problems here. The planks need to run up to the stern post and counter. Not make sharp turns into them. Test, test, test, then check them two more times. While were here the battens you use to test the fairing of the bulkheads must be right. Do not proceed unless you are good here.

3) Spiling is a must. I fought it and in the end, this was a mistake. Yes, it is more work and the learning curve is a little steep, but once you make sense of it, it really is not that big a deal and actually easier in the long run.

4) Where the planks turn up in the stern requires some difficult bends and the planks need to twist. For me, this was the most difficult part of the hull to plank. The planks also taper then flare out here. Run all these planks long, combing two plank lengths into one worked best for me. This can apply to the bow too. For this reason work towards the mid section coming at it from both ends, not from stern to bow or bow to stern. Fitting planks in the middle section are the easiest and should be done last.

5) Unless fitting; if possible all planks should be soaked and dried “long”, cut to the correct length only just before gluing them. Cutting them short here really hurts too, so measure twice.

6) Just throw away the bad planks and start again. Yea it hurts when you spend an hour on one plank and it is not right, but realize that you will look at it forever if you put it on. Basswood is cheap.

7) I soaked all my planks and allowed them to dry on the hull. I avoided having to forced them to make a bend or twist when it came time to glue them. Fitting the planks this way was slow but it allowed me to make sure the plank was right before I glued it in. It also made gluing much easier.

8) Do not forget to give yourself a break. Getting aggravated because of a mistake or problem only takes away from the experience. I had to walk away a few times. Planking was a very long process for me and I chose only to enjoy it.  

Sorry “no Pics”

She is in the spa, getting all pretty for her reveal :P

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

Sitting on edge of chair in anticipation :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Jp,

Your hull turned out very well. Hull planking I enjoy very much. it offers a great challenge for me. I don't find it a pain. But then again i enjoy ratlines too. Maybe I'm weird....

BUT JUST LOVING YOUR PROGRESS JP......GOOD GOING

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

JP,

We're holding our breath for pictures...   Rats... I'm soundling like someone else we know. :o

As some fictional character once said:  "Patience, Grasshopper".  Both in planking and waiting for pictures, I guess.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Let me see, let me see, let me see!!!!!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Good comments in your planking experience JP, it would seem you have learnt all of the major pitfalls, experiences and techniques of planking a hull properly and well, very proud of you for sticking with it, your next model will be a totally different experience because you know what to expect and will want to exceed the quality of your first build.

Congrats again man on this milestone.

Ben

Hey JPett -- those 8 comments you list should be reviewed by everyone getting ready to set plank to hull.  It's good to read a slow and steady modeller's reflections.

Cheers and bring on the cheesecake!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

JP

Terrific job on your hull planking. Will return when I  hull plank my next build. Thanks for taking the tine to construct a super log for the rest of us. Wish you well as you move along.

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

"there is wisdom in many voices"

So I'm lost or just mad, probably both actually. Why is the Rat in the closet. Is this your way of giving it a time out? :D

I've used the PVA and sand technique also, I used it on the keel/stem post scarf joint with cherry to help fill my poor cutting/shaping skills and it worked quite well even with this hard wood. I typically clean with H2O, is there a benefit to alcohol, and do you use isopropyl or ethanol? 

So the last planks are in and no pictures, Is it still serving time in the closet for being bad?

Can't wait to see her in all her glory.

I too found it interesting how the twisted section in the stern required a thinning/narrrowing of the planks and then a flairing at the stern post. You should label your 8 steps as the Zen of planking, I found nearly every step true with my Swift planking. Especially the importance of soaking and allowing them to dry on the hull, Sometime multiple times to get the curvature/twist just right. Oh I was going to ask what you used for plank narrowing. I found the small HF block plane invaluable in doing this for roughing in the shape, then lots of sanding.

So until we have photographic evidence that the plankings comolete, I guess we'll patiently wait, just like waiting for a plank to dry.

Sorry for the delay, BUT

As we all know the ladies can take some time to get ready :P

After much deliberation, testing, posts and some beer, well maybe a lot of beer,  I have decided to let the lady show some skin. Many hours of testing only confirmed that for this build “not staining” would be my best move. After wiping down the hull with mineral spirits I found that this “look” suited my lady better then any other.

Thank you all for your patience and help on my build. I would have never reached this point alone, “Really” Thank you, (place bowing emoticon here)

Back to the build:

Using Buck’s suggestion to make patching dust with finer grade sandpaper I came up with Basswood Patch Mk2. The finer dust was collected and then water added. About five times as much as needed. The dust was then allowed to ‘soak’. After which I stirred in a very small amount of PVA glue. Then I put drops on areas I needed to fill. The surface tension used to keep the mixture in place. It usually took three to four applications to fill a small void. 

As for the Sanding gala. I used an eraser as my sanding block. It was one of those moments when you look at something completely unrelated to the task and say, Hummm.

The finish so far is one coat of “General Finishes” satin Gel Topcoat wipe on Urethane thinned with mineral spirits. I want to paint the wales black and keel tallow, and then I will put on a few more coats of Poly: Oh yes, and a million more treenails

Suggestions, comments welcome and “again” thank you MSW :)

post-108-0-57790500-1368051970_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-03974600-1368051980_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

I'm flabbergasted ... A marvelous, stunning job JP!!! What else is there to say ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

there you go.....you nailed it!   well worth the effort.......I'll be right back........I gotta go hang my hull in the closet!  

splendid job........superb in every way!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: