US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks for stopping by, Backstroke.  Never underestimate what you can do  --- until you give it a good try  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm a little late in adding my praise to your log but here it is - amazing work, sir!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Augie - I am as fond of good natured kidding as the rest of you. But I truly want to see your build. How do I find your posts on the build with all the crazy stuff on this thread? I plan to finish my Harvey this year and then get back to my Syren. I am following you very closely to see what there is for me to learn.

:cheers:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Can't offer any suggestions Floyd.  Outside of just whistling through and stopping at the photos.  I've posted over 130 build photos since I started this log back on MSW 1.  Rigging updates are tough because there is really not that much to see until a new spar goes up (at least that I can photograph).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

you got that right........once the rigging begins to get thick, it's hard to see what's new.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I second that, Popeye.  Looking down through the lubber hole in the mast top is like peering down an electrical conduit in the Empire State building.

Gotta love it though :)  :)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

from nov 2011, wow thats a pretty good time, IMHO.

Just curious as I wasn't around at the beginning.

I wonder how many Syren kit were sold. MS should include in the instructions a link to MSW, if they don't. Its good to see complete logs again as they help out us newer builders. I no longer fear bad instructions when MSW has great build logs such as yours to draw from. To me the banter just makes it real.

I believe one of the selling features that MS advertises is access to this site and support from Chuck.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

They definitely should, its a huge selling point.

I have the MS Pinnacle but shelved it and actually haven't even looked through the instructions yet to see. Dont need the temptation. Plus I wanted to use either Holly or Boxwood and need to make a wood order.

ME and MSW are like peanut butter and jelly, they really go well together. My latest ME order just arrived today.

Hi Augie,

Our builds proceed in parallel still, I am about to do the mizzen running rigging. In principle you should finish well ahead of me, one less mast!

Navigating your log was a bit frustrating, I had to trawl back through 4 pages to find 2 pics than another 6 pages to see 4 more.

I can appreciate some folks need to chat but I think this is getting a bit excessive, I think this may discourage some folk from using our logs as reference for their own builds. I thought this was one of the major aspects of our forum.

Cheers,

David.

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Thanks for the comments , David.  Yes, one less mast certainly speeds the progress!  I won't be so lucky next time around :)

A combination of coastal and celestial navigation aids in getting through the thread.  I'm used to it but others probably don't find it 'user friendly'.  I recall in the old MSW, I followed Chuck's prototype build for Syren.  It was 140 pages + with lots of side issues but much more 'focused' than what we have here.  Still, it took time to follow.

Be that as it may, I enjoy the banter on here ---- it's sort of an unlimited family and extends to other threads.

Perhaps there should be a 'button' that, once a log is completed, the author can go back and delete everything but the build details and thereby archive a 99% 'technical' log.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I try not to clutter too much...at least.....I hope I don't.  your idea is an interesting one.......but the key here is......moderation ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Perhaps there should be a 'button' that, once a log is completed, the author can go back and delete everything but the build details and thereby archive a 99% 'technical' log.

What a boring forum that would make.... :(

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Agreed  Half the reason I read these forums is the pop corn jokes and you know who's doing you know whats.  

Well then its a family! LOL :D

And who Plays the role of the Black sheep member? Hmm so many possibilities. :huh:

Oh the banter issue. (and this is not aimed at David personally, but at a certain belief structure, this is an issue I've seen over and over)

Ive always been the black sheep in most everything in life, why stop now,

I'll play scapegoat. My shoulders are wide and they are use to carrying extra weight. Plus I signed on about the time MSW2 got rolling, so I'm as likely a witch to burn as any.

Throw your stones my way, I can take it and I'm as guilty as any. Teaching gave me a thick skin so I can take it. Believe me as an ex-chemistry teacher, I know how to be hated/talked about/disapproved of by misunderstanding people and still turned the other cheek.

I apologize if this hurts anyone feelings before I even say it, but I must.

I just spent a year short of 2 decades collecting live recorded music (bootlegs) because of a love of live music. I spent 6 years moderating a DC++ hub where music was traded freely, just like building knowledge is here. I don't know what MSW1 was like much, as I only found it in Dec 2012 and have been taken by the hobby since.

Mostly because of the friendly open response of nearly everyone. Music collecting use to be that way. I left the music community because of petty bickering over what I consider Silly issues. Just like music collecting I do this as a hobby and hobby's include having fun and banter. I guess you can really only please some of the people some of the time. For those too lazy to pick through the banter, maybe one should pick out the relevent parts and SELL them as a practicum....... for me that makes it business, not hobby.

MSW is a place of sharing and that includes interest in other members lives. I do this for more then wooden sailing vessels. The Family/community is the more important aspect. I have gotten many PM's and posts from caring friends over my recent liver isssues and it means the world to me that other people I've never met care enough to ask. In this world stuck in high gear and racing out of control, I just can not abide those in such a hurry, Life ends way too fast to have never smelt the flowers, let alone even seen them as one charges through live with blinders on. Missing all the precious important stuff, like a smile between two friends over an Off Topic issue.

Sorry for my rant, I'll step off my soapbox now.

Sorry Augie for venting here, I will delete if you ask.

Well, I've been hesitating posting on this, but I'll stick in my two cents also. I agree with Keith and support his statements. I'll accept part of the blame also, even though I am new here, but I also didn't follow the "Practicum" format. There is always a sour grape in the bunch, and my suggestion is that if he doesn't like this forum then perhaps he should move on to another one, rather than ruining the whole bunch. The comradere of this forum is probably the main reason I just was able to finish a 44 year project. If I'm wrong here, then I'll sign off and go back to not posting things, and sharing no photos for anyone else to benefit from. If I would have thought that establishing friendships and some occaisional banter was offensive and against the rules, then I would have never joined in the first place. Reason is reason, and many of our comments relate to the subject of a great hobby, and sharing interest of our lives with it, and that makes it quite personal and enjoyable. Just the fact that the sour grape posted will probably only generate more banter and unfortunately take up some more space on Augie's build log. I guess it's time to get keel hauled!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

...and believe me I understand the frustration of keeping up with logs. I still have several to catch up on after my 4 week down time.

For example Andy's is many pages from where I stopped and I like reading everything before posting so I've been putting it off until I have several hours to devote (not as a chore though, but as entertainment). Last I was there the drill revolted during a mast turning episode. Heck it may be rigged by now. Banter is how I become someones friend. Practicums are great, but friends can answer questions and make you laugh. :dancetl6:

If I had a wish it would be that MSW kept track of your last post in someones log, I spend so much time going back and rereading logs as I can't remember where I left off. 

Although I have no idea how many times I've re-read Augies log, but always see something I missed before. Sometimes I just stop to stare at certain pictures, in many logs....

To me sub-plots make life ....well ...LIFE

It doesn't have to be like this
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking

Couldn't agree more.

I know it's a few days late but your rigging is really very impressive mate, beautiful work well done.

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

LMAO, are you back on the water yet? I know I'm over 10 pages behind at least. I opened it and dug back 10-15 trying to find my last post and decided I'd it'd take a couple of hours at least. Best a replacement for a movie when my eye's arent acting up so much. The crazy blood sugar is making the eyes change daily. Slowly I'm building up my read time again.  

Sorry last night your log lost out to planking :) I have a transom to get to. 

So Augie, what exactly is left before glamour shots of the Syren.

The banter is half the draw to MSW for me.

Great builds, great advice, great information and great community.

Can't have that without the banter!

As for the build itself - My eyes are crossing looking at all the rigging.   It is amazing looking and one of the draws to this hobby for me.

HOW you keep all the lines straight (no pun intended) and taught (intended) is beyond me.  

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

<soapbox mode on>

Just a quick input from a somewhat "rogue" moderator... :)   The tone for a log is set by the personality of the builder.  We have logs that are dead serious and always on topic.  That's fine for them.  For others, some logs are a free-for-all family riot/party.  And that's fine for them.  We're all from around the world that have a common interest... model shipbuilding.  It's that thread that binds us all together. 

In some builds, the chit-chat turns that interest into friendships. In the ones with minimal chit-chat, there's still a bonding that goes on but different.  You'll know the difference when you see them.  MSW has room for both types and even those in-between.  

Perhaps the most important thing that we have is tolerance... tolerance for the serious builder and tolerance for the most casual of builders.  We don't indulge in religion, politics, or any of the real world stuff that starts barroom brawls.   We enjoy each other builds and company.

I'll now turn this free-for-all back over to Augie and his amazing build.   

<kicks soapbox back into the corner> <opens post-76-0-68694000-1371158097.gif>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - I have to agree and say you are proberbly my fave moderator. If a log runs to a different tune than its owner wants, the owner can ask others to calm down on the posts. My logs seem to be somewhere in the middle?

Sorry Augie for butting in, looking forward to more pics of the rigging.

Ben

Thank you Mark.  That is one of the most sensible things I've heard regarding this subject, and I appreciate your input.  Sorry Augie --- stole your log again!  Aaarrrrggghhh!  Here's to ya Keith!  Bendin an elbow here!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Like I said.......it's a family.

Complete with Black Sheep and those we hide in the closet (where IS Sjors).

Sounds to me like those on board enjoy the party.  And frankly, so do I on this log.  As Mark said (yeah, he aint bad as a moderator), the builder can set the tone and I respect that on the truly focused, technical logs.

No, MSW is not social media.  But if one of the friends I've made in the last 2 years mentions something affecting their life (and build) that they want to share with this bunch.....I'm interested and/or concerned.  We are people, and our lives effect our builds. 

Of course I could build faster :D  :D  :D

Thanks to all who chimed in, pro or con. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976