Echo by Cap'n Rat Fink - 1/48 - Cross-Section

We'll miss you - but enjoy the time-off...so sorry to hear of the wood massacre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Mario,

That's some serious destruction there.  When you say "improve your bowling".. will this involve a cat and 10-pin or a cat and bowling ball?   

post-76-0-38319600-1363066082.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh damn that looks really horrible. Sorry to hear that you will make a break before you restart your section model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Oh...my....  I really feel for you. I'm so sorry that you are back to Square One. Next round, if you still have a cat, may I suggest you either close the door or, if you don't have a separate workshop, clamp the building board down between sessions?

On the plus side, you will find that your work will go quicker and more accurately than the first time. Best wishes, Cap'n Rat Fink.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Sorry you're not going to be around.  I wanted advice on the dory.

Come back soon.  We need you.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

That's a real cat-astrophy! I'm not sure trying to increase your bowling average will be any less stressful. We do hope you will regroup and rebuild. The good thing about the cross-section is that it's only a few frames. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Mario,

I am crushed to see the damage your Echo has suffered. Your build was my inspiration and I will miss it. Hopefully you will be bowling 300 games quickly and get bored of all the news attention, then you'll be back building with us again.

We have 4 cats but my shop is in the basement which can't be gotten to without going outside. I used to think that was a bad thing, now I'm not so sure.

Good luck with the bowling, we'll keep a light on for you.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Ahoy Mario :D

I will echo in here with my condolenses on the loss of this build.

I look forward to seeing you back here when it is right for you

Best wishes to you in whatever you choose to do.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

OH CRAP MARIO THAT REALLY SUCKS!

I do have a bulldog who hates cats that I can loan you!  :angry:

Enjoy whatever you need to get back here. We/I will miss your build.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hello Mario,

That looks bad, no wonder you are P#*$$!&.

Just like the rest I hope you fill find your building spirit again and return soon.

You will be missed, but just take your time and enjoy bowling (without the cat)

And don't worry, we will all still be here when you return.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi you All,

Thank you all for the kind words. Ah I'll be back. Its just the thought to start from square one again. I'll get over that. As for the cat your right John, it belongs to the boss. Too bad too I decided to make frames 4 n 5 by hand using only my fret saw and files and a little sand paper. i was pretty proud how they came out to.

you know try it the old way without the band saw, all by hand tools only. I had decided not to fit it out too. So I was almost finished. I was going to display it in a shipyard with figures...........these things happen, no big deal i will hit it again, just gotta get around the idea of starting from square one again.

on vacation next week. have to paint bedrooms for the mrs.

later guys and gals,

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Ahoy Mario

Looking forward to  "take 2"

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Oh no I can't believe it! I had a cat knock my phantom off the mantel to only have my two dogs join in and chew it to tiny bits, not a useful thing left after that! At least you have the right attitude hope you get on the horse again soon you have a great talent and I enjoy watching your progress . R/Mike

Edited by thorny196

Jp, Ben, and Mike,

Thanks Guys. I shall return but right now in California it is Spring Cleaning time. So my wife has me re-painting the interior of our home. That means the modeling room is totally destroyed right now. I think my cross section after Miss Kittie got at it, still looks better then my room does at the present. It's going to be a while longer. But thanks for all the encouraging pats on the back....

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

• 5 months later...

Hi Mario,

I'm so sorry about the incident with the cat, take your time my friend, the house work should give you some breather until you're in the mood for shipbuilding again.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Had a busy day in the shop, and with a few week of vacation time moving quickly will have a lot more time in the shop.......

Well with the help of David and Greg from Admiralty Models I am back at it again with the Echo Cross Section.  Long story short. I was well on my way to completing this cross section. When our house cat killed it. I decided to rebuild. But work really got in the way. Can’t believe it, but it’s 2 yrs later and now I am back at it.

I left off at putting the frames on the Keel when things went south. So I do not plan on getting too detailed until I get to that point again. I started out by re-reading the instructions and trying to get my head into it. I had to re-read 3 different times before I understood what to do. Man when you don’t do this for a while you do get rusty.

Now I have a full blown wood shop in my garage. Not just for models, but for wood turning and furniture making. So after reading I cut out all the fore and aft frames and glued to material. Then I went ahead and built the keel, false keel and rising wood assembly.

My next move will be the build board and working on the frames. I just hope my job does not get too much in the way. 19 photos total

post-1053-0-59212000-1445225291_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-00396600-1445225300_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-53458800-1445225313_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-73532500-1445225329_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-44122900-1445225344_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-43143800-1445225353_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-46309300-1445225361_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-91917400-1445225372_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-13136800-1445225383_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-54258100-1445225391_thumb.jpg

Good to be back….

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

It's good to see you back and even better to see you making sawdust, Mario.  Nice looking keel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 more photos....

post-1053-0-05101700-1445226279_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-58289600-1445226288_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-36032200-1445226299_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-45662000-1445226311_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-86727300-1445226321_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-41145400-1445226351_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-45275400-1445226361_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-26167400-1445226373_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-96652100-1445226382_thumb.jpg

When I was 18 I started working with a master Cabinet and Furniture maker. He taught me how to handle power tools, but just as much time if not more  on how to w/w hand tools.  In David’s A. instructions he recommends to use a very sharp pencil. I do this at times. But I also use a carpenters knife which enables me to get a very accurate mark or lines when marking out dimensions. Then I just use my pencil to fill in the knife mark to see it better if need be. I used a knife when marking out the rabbet, since it was a very small area. The blade was just thinner and easier to mark out with.
   I strictly use my knife when doing dovetails. Which I do all by hand tools only. Like my ex boss use to say. There is nothing like good sharp chisels and  hand saws.

If you google Paul Sellers he reminds me a lot of my ex boss. Just watch a few of his videos.

Good to be back…

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario.

In your frames that have yet to be cut, you have blue tape (painters masking tape it looks like) under the paper pattern.  What is the reasoning/purpose behind that, rather than simply gluing the pattern onto the wood like I have seen in many other builds?

Thanks,

Nice work Mario. Great to see you back making saw dust! :)

Brian - the painters tape is to make removal of the patterns easier. It holds the pattern securely while cutting, yet comes off easily and doesn't leave a sticky residue.

Mario, seeing your work on the keel parts has started my creative juices for this work. Some good ideas for a relatively new ship builder. Thanks!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mark, Brian, Grant, Ken,

Thanks for your kind words. I thank all of you for the LIKES also.

Was able to cut out some of the frames yesterday and may have time today to do a few more. Then I will be putting together the build board.

Have a nice day...

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Jim,

Yeah Paul Sellers is cool. But I am a big fan of Uncle Si too. HAHA! :D

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....