Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Minor step but for me a scary one.   Rather than put off drilling holes for the mounting bolts and pedestals, I chose to grab the beast by the horns and go for it now.  That way if something went really amiss, it would be fixable.

So, I set the ship under the riser on the workbench, grabbed my Dremel drill press and proceed to cobble a way.  I rotated it around, clamped and screwed it to the riser. It took a good 10 minutes of fiddling to get everything centered up and squared away.  After inserted a very small bit, I held my breath and drilled.  And it worked like a charm.  I turned the ship around and repeated for the forward hole.   Took a picture for posterity's sake.  :)

The pedestals fit nicely and the screw didn't do any damage. 

post-76-0-57178300-1406925334_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark there is always a way, always! nicely done.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Michael.  And you're right... there's always a way.  We just have to find it.

Sam,

I wish I could help you on the solvents but short of your driving north, they can't even be shipped to California.  Hmm... new career path... smuggling tolulene into California.  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You have more courage than I Mark.  And steadier nerves. In Elk Grove Village our safety officer dropped by last year and told us we had to get rid of our solvents as well since we could not dispose of them safely.  No more Toluene, Benzine, Acetone, MEK.  This makes things hard to clean and prep things for either gluing up or cleaning period.  But just go down the street and you can buy the stuff by the gallon.

David B

That must have been a "heart in the mouth" moment Mark! Well done though - as you and Michael observed, there's always a way.

Hey Mark, kudos to you for a daring operation.  Now you know how I felt hand drilling holes in VERY expensive aircraft parts.  Sometimes, with really complicated parts I used two assistants to eyeball the drill motor being square to te part.  Can always blame it on them when miss-drilling  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice jury rig!  The ends justify the means!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mark,

Nice job, and it didn't turn out so bad in the end. Sometimes, I think our fears often get in the way of attempting the obvious.

Btw, I trust that what it says on the mug, wasn't in the mug at the time?   

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks for the comments and the "likes".   Keeps me motivated.

You have more courage than I Mark.  And steadier nerves. In Elk Grove Village our safety officer dropped by last year and told us we had to get rid of our solvents as well since we could not dispose of them safely.  No more Toluene, Benzine, Acetone, MEK.  This makes things hard to clean and prep things for either gluing up or cleaning period.  But just go down the street and you can buy the stuff by the gallon.

David B

I don't know about courage, David.  It just needed to be done and I figured the sooner the better in case something went south.  I have visions of the Dremel stand coming loose and wiping out the keel and framing.

That must have been a "heart in the mouth" moment Mark! Well done though - as you and Michael observed, there's always a way.

The first one was "heart in mouth".  The second hole, I managed to breathe.  :)

Hey Mark, kudos to you for a daring operation.  Now you know how I felt hand drilling holes in VERY expensive aircraft parts.  Sometimes, with really complicated parts I used two assistants to eyeball the drill motor being square to te part.  Can always blame it on them when miss-drilling  ;)

Cheers,

Metal is a whole different critter, isn't it?   I've done my share of hand machining and I find I like dealing with wood a whole better.

Mark,

Nice job, and it didn't turn out so bad in the end. Sometimes, I think our fears often get in the way of attempting the obvious.

Btw, I trust that what it says on the mug, wasn't in the mug at the time?   

Pure coffee at the time of the picture Kester.  Irish coffee after everything had been taken down and put away.  :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Minor issue.... the Belle-Poule Monograph came in Saturday.  It was in French  <sigh>.   I thought I was ordering English but alas, not.  So back it goes for replacement.  I'm only using the plans for period details and rigging per Mr. Delacroix's suggestion but the book should make for some interesting reading.   Anyway, I saw enough of the plans to re-instill some missing enthusiasm (detail parts only... :) ) and also some things to instill some fear (deck planking that follows the hull and not the centerline and a "lozenge" pattern deck in the Great Cabin).  :o

Back to framing....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Interesting, Le ReQuin also has the curved decking, I guess that was a French method of decking.

It is intimidating, but still yet one of the reasons I chose the ANCRE monography. To me the shaped decking is so much more elegant and flowing. it also, to me, makes a statement about the craftsman that did that amazing jointery.

The Le ReQuin's monography was in French, but came with a soft cover english translation. Was the Belle-Poule not the same? If so they would only need to send that and save you the returns.

The curved decking is typical French decking from what I've seen.  And the Great Cabins had non-normal (by English standards) decking and planking.  Decks were either lozenge or herringbone from what I can tell.

As for Belle-Poule...  like the other monographs, it comes with drawings and a book with history and drawing explanations.  I have the La Venus and the Bonhomme Richard.  All have been soft covers.  They asked me to return the whole thing though I thought "why not just return the book?".  But that's ok....  I was on the English page for monographs and when I clicked to order there wasn't a drop down for languages (I rechecked La Venus and Bonhomme Richard and the drop down is there).   I should have caught that before I ordered to make sure I was getting the English version.  Oh well...  I'm long ways from needing the monograph at this point.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The bright side, there's nothing like that feeling of a package in the mailbox, and I'm sure you've already had your way with the 22 plates and left fingerprint all over them :D
Your correct both are soft bound, but the French version is larger and better print quality, than the translation version.

All this ANCRE talk has me wanting to pull mine off the shelf and do some more dreaming.
We hauled scrap metals today and made $165 (tool fund :D). That makes the garage one step closer to becoming a sawdust factory.
I'll need the space for that 1.26 metre Le ReQuin. I see Barba's back to working on his over at SOS. YEAH!
See what you've started Mark, by forcing me to make a purchase from ANCRE :P Actually 2 with the Frolich :huh:

I like the way they have listed what each plate covers in the Belle-Poule description (copper and belaying are nice), it kind of lets you now before it arrives. The LE ReQuin is a bit vague. Its also interesting because they're both works of Boudriot and Berti (is it common practice that one all CAPS the last name in French, I've noticed its that way typically).

Well, happy waiting, guess that means back to sawdust production activities.

The British were cheapskates when it came to fitting out their ships for creature comforts, painted canvas for the floor covering, rather than a nice bit of parquet flooring as in the Great Cabins of French ships. I couldn't believe that on French ships they had a separate Pastry Oven for the benefit of the Officers.

In the day I believe the British Navy were rather disparaging of anything 'Frenchified' but individual officers did take on the use of Epaulettes long before official regulation, Although Nelson initially condemned the adoption of a Frenchman's Uniform, referring to Officers who wore them as Coxcombs he also took to them once the they were  made 'official' in 1795.

Still I digress..... sorry Mark.

B.E.

The comedy of errors continues... after I asked about the English version and was told it was in stock and to return what I had, I got an email this morning.  Ooops... translation not finished but it will be ready in about 3 months so hang onto the book.  Which, of course, being the eager-beaver I am, I shipped out yesterday..  <sigh>  Oh well.. it'll be that long before I'm ready for it.

Keith, pull that book off the shelf and dream.  Check the web for builds.  It's a very nice build and looks great with lots of room for detailing.

B.E.

I've noticed that too.  They also had separate fireplaces for cooking as well as separate rations between the officers and enlisted or conscripted.  I'm looking forward to the paneling and deck in the Great Cabin, though with some trepidation about my abilities, but we'll see.  If only they had the time to properly train their crews in seamanship and gunnery, the world might be different.  Being blockaded in port was big factor in their battle losses.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, who is doing the tranlation?

David B

ANCRE.  Apparently, they thought they had an English translation already and it was in stock.   I guess it was in progress when Mr. Berti, the elder, died..   I'm guessing that's what happened because I know that translations don't happen overnight.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

In France the tradition in the army makes that it have two dining halls there:
Mass for oficiers and ordinary for the men of the contingent, it is what explains both kitchens on a French ship!
The rooms of oficiers are always aside and that of the coprincipal has an office(desk) there is always two gogues (toilets) has the front on the bow and one dress(toilet) private individual in bottles for the coprincipal the bent poest one call it " the shanty and the tonture " and allows the water to evacuate by dalots at the level of shields

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Mark

I think you will find that they have not done an english translation for Belle Poule.

I am translating bits and pieces of the monograph but it is a long and laborious process.

Sorry

Alan

As I found out and posted above.. the English is in work.  I can let you know when it's done as I'll be keeping close eye on this.

In France the tradition in the army makes that it have two dining halls there:

Mass for oficiers and ordinary for the men of the contingent, it is what explains both kitchens on a French ship!

The rooms of oficiers are always aside and that of the coprincipal has an office(desk) there is always two gogues (toilets) has the front on the bow and one dress(toilet) private individual in bottles for the coprincipal the bent poest one call it " the shanty and the tonture " and allows the water to evacuate by dalots at the level of shields

Thanks for the input.  The USA has a similar tradition with Officers and enlisted in the military but not exactly the same.  The English had some things separate but not all on their ships.  It's wonderful to learn the differences and how they influenced design.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The dining facilities differences between Officers and Enlisted in military ships have more basses for difference than the separation of position. The enlisted men eat on the State, the Officers pay for their meals and some other amenities.

jud

Very true.  That parts something that we usually overlook and I'm sure some the sailors way back when did also when they saw the officers eating roasted chickens and drinking a good wine whle they ate something boiled.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Either boiled like rubber or so old and hard that one mouthful would take an hour to chew and swallow, if it was not rotten to begin with.

David B

The patience you have - I can only dream of having that level of patience.

Pays off though!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Other details which change on a French vessel:
The skittle at the level of the bow is rounded off and not in angle how English as well as hinge of rudder who are tilted and straight ahead!
Doors always open quoted bulwarks

I leave you a foto of a unicorn of a colleague which you will appreciate i hope for the détails!

Agrandir cette imageRéduire cette image Cliquez ici pour la voir à sa taille originale.
100_2291.jpg

Agrandir cette imageRéduire cette image Cliquez ici pour la voir à sa taille originale.
100_2293.jpg

100_2294.jpg

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

The patience you have - I can only dream of having that level of patience.

Pays off though!

I don't know about patience.. stubbornness maybe.  :)   I have learned to sit back and take things one day a time though. 

Other details which change on a French vessel:

The skittle at the level of the bow is rounded off and not in angle how English as well as hinge of rudder who are tilted and straight ahead!

Doors always open quoted bulwarks

I leave you a foto of a unicorn of a colleague which you will appreciate i hope for the détails!

Beautiful pictures.  Is that the 52 gun version from 1702? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yes it is good it mark!
In fact he left the base of the kit "hachette" and as any kit it is stuffed with technical or historic érrors, as here the skittle in angle which should be rectified sculptures one made in box tree