Friesland by ChrisLinden - Mamoli - 1:75

It should be fine. Just one rope at a time :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Excellent job. Beautiful ship (as most Dutch ships are). Am I biased????

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Wow Chris, you have been busy!  She's really looking beautiful - - - like all Dutch ships do.  Sorry Markus, I borrowed your line - - - another biased Dutchman  ;)  And tha6's why I am also building one.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi there,

Ive been really busy at work lately, and with family life. 

In the meantime I've been trying a new way of "build log" >> Watch me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/chrisutomik

:)

Pretty cool tool !

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Wow Chris, you have been busy! She's really looking beautiful - - - like all Dutch ships do. Sorry Markus, I borrowed your line - - - another biased Dutchman ;) And tha6's why I am also building one.

Cheers,

Thanks guys, the kind words certainly help to keep going!

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the best for your move and hope to see you continue soon. Take care.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Hey guys

I spent the afternoon putting all canon hatches on. I've got 2 more to do and a few ropes to finish them. 
I also put all canons carriages on the ship, with a very simple fitting. I know its not historically correct but I did not wan't to go through the pain of adding full tackle. The build is already hard enough for me as it is. I think the canons was absolutely the most boring job so far, glad its over. 

I will spend the coming weeks finishing various odd jobs around the hull, cleaning up some details, paint work and re-doing the anchors to be a bit more good looking. Then I think I am ready to start on the masts and rigging... drumroll! :)

Friesland-Canons3.jpg

Friesland-Canons2.jpg

Friensland-Canons.jpg

Edited by ChrisLinden

Worked on finishing various odd jobs on the back of the ship. I put the center "insignia" ornament in place. Tidied up the windows. Still working on the paint job of all the ornaments and wood. I completely repainted the green stained woods and shaded them using inks. I guess the border between what is a wooden model ship and a warhammer miniature is beginning to fade ;-)  In this fashion I could even re-paint the entire ship hehe.

Friesland-Spiegel3.jpg

Friesland-Spiegel2.jpg

More kudos on your painting,.....the washes and dry brushing are top notch!!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Looking really good Chris.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Such a beautiful job! I'm planning to do the same with my cannons. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Such a beautiful job! I'm planning to do the same with my cannons. Keep up the good work.

Chris

You are doing a FANTASTIC job! I have printed out your tutorial on painting ornaments/cast metal parts. I am particularly impressed with your painting/staining method that "ages" your wood. Did you ever do a tutorial on that process? Keep up your great work.

best regards

J

Hey J, thanks !  I have not done a tutorial on aging the wood. I simply used inks/stains to tone them. Nothing else was done afterwards.

I must add that it is extremely difficult to get a consistent finish, especially on a large ship. So caution is advised if you want a cohesive look. 

Chris

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have to get some "ink & stain" and just practice...practice & practice some more. I don't hope to get anywhere close to your results but maybe I can get a little close. Can you at least tell me what brand of "ink & stain" you used that way I can use the same things you used. Again keep up the great work it is such an inspiration.

best regards

J

beautiful build Chris,

also very nice paint work....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Amazing work Chris.  One of the things that I think detracts from models is the contrast between finished wood and painted areas (especially, where photo etched or cast metal parts are used).  You did a really great job tying all those areas together.

Can I ask what you use for the white areas?  I find that most white paints are still too bright, and I would like to find a way to dull it either with a wash or something similar.  I've toyed with the idea of using a light diluted stain, and other options would be to try an off-white paint like ivory or cream.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)