San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Steve, now you tell me lol. I may still do this...ME did not have the size deadeyes I needed in anything but walnut, mine are boxwood. Although the dowels I have on hand are of beech, at least they are a more blonde wood like the boxwood and wont look near as bad. Can tell I still was a bit fuzzy in the head last night, as it never even crossed my mind to make them myself, which is something my mind usually jumps to first!

Grant, thanks :D That info you sent me was very helpful, I appreciate it. Although I am still debating on the shroud color. I had decided to leave them as they are since they are already attached to the masts and I don't want to take them down and start over (I am pretty much over this kit and want to move on), and I fear shoe polish will make a mess, and stain or paint will just end up on my wood; but last night the idea of using a sharpie brand pen popped into my head. So maybe they will end up black yet....need to test the sharpie on some of the scraps of thread and see how badly it bleeds or not first.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

post-127-0-68292900-1367978442.gif Doing the happy dance, have my first shroud up!!!

I have not served the lanyards (see I did learn a new word :D ) yet, I want to pass this by you guys and make sure I have things done...close enough to correctly, before I make them permanent.

post-127-0-04530400-1367978678_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-18115000-1367978688_thumb.jpg

On another note, does not look like I will make my end of May deadline...never dreamed this rigging part would be so time consuming.  But I will get her done.

No, Sjors, the Syren is still packed safely away :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Your jig is brilliant ! Your shrouds look great. I will be copying your jig.

P.S. sharpie will bleed. I would stick with your current color looks good. I know how powerful the call of another ship is

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Hi Robbyn,

Here's a trick to get the top row of deadeyes all rotated and facing straight, more or less. Before running the lanyard, start at the top of the shroud and applying light pressure, pinch the shroud and pull your hand down the shroud to the deadeye.  It should spin a bit during pulling.  Then hold the deadeye in that postion and reeve the lanyard. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Robbyn, I am sure my first shrouds and very similar to yours, I would be well happy with them.

Well done.

As TMC said "not bad for a teacher" :D  I may have left a bit of qualifying dialogue out of that quote but :P

Hi Robbyn,

Well done! Your deadeyes are all in a nice even line and look great. EdT's jig really does work well doesnt it? ;) Keith beat me to it with the one deadeye on the right being upside down though. I would encourage you not to rush this part of the build, no matter how strong the call of the Syren! The rigging is what grabs people's attention on these models, so it is worth taking your time and doing the best job you possibly can. The Syren will still be there when you finish.

Keith, The far right deadeye, is still "up" it has just turned on me, so the angle makes it look wonky.

Sjors, I beeswaxed the heck out of all the lines, but I think my initial slowness at doing this correctly has worn some of the wax off and the result is fuzzies. I am not going to stress over the fuzziness at this point. I may try melting some of the beeswax and "painting" it on later, when I am sure I am done handling these.

Keith, yep, end of term is busy and stressful, but I left all papers behind in my office last night, figured my head needed a break, and I actually found working on the rigging to be quite the stress reliever!  I do have summer classes, I am teaching a 4 week class of Composition June 3-27th. We only meet Monday-Thursday from 8-10:30, so I expect to make some major headway on builds this summer. I am also teaching a 5 week class of Composition II in July, but it is strictly on-line, so other than checking in daily and grading papers it will not take up too much of my summer.

Mark, I did attempt your little trick, but it did not seem to work at keeping all the deadeyes facing forward. I think my problem is the lower deadeyes, since the chainplates are nothing but twisted wire, it appears to be pulling them away from facing front and this then pulls the uppers out of square as well. I am debating on pulling the nail holding the chainplate and easing the twist in the wire, or taking the build OUTSIDE and using some CA on the channel to hopefully hold it in the face-front position.

Steve, creative editing there with that quote :D

Eric and Randy, the jig worked brilliantly and was easy as pie. I made 6, one for each of the channels.

Grant, thanks for the info on the build and the jig, it made things much easier!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn -

Very nice job on these!  As long as they all hold even tension when you serve the lanyards you should be fine - I would serve them the same manner as installing them initially by alternating larboard and starboard to keep the tension even.

Do you hear that little voice I'm hearing???  Sounds like it is coming from that box right over there....

"Build me, Robbyn, you know you want to at least see how the keel looks and start a building board.....just a little work on me doesn't count..."

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

WAYNE!!!!!!!! Shame on you!!!

She just has to wait!!! I know I have this tickling in the back of my mind saying, come on, you could start putting the bulkheads in the keel. But I keep reminding myself I just don't have room on my little drafting table for that and the SF....hmm, a second table perhaps :P

Okay, a call out to the Syren builders. I have a stupid Keel Clamper....I hate it. I have seen some logs where peeps just use a table saw and cut a grove into a piece of plywood and use that to keep the keel straight. My question is this...how deep should I make that groove so the bulkheads will be at the proper depth, and how wide does it need to be? I don't want to get in the box and touch the pieces to measure it...I am afraid it won't go back in the box if I do.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn,

I don't blame you that you keep the lanyards like this.

I have see somewhere that you have pull the rope true the beeswax block.

And that for several times…...

Than for the board, I also use the Dremel workbench at the moment.

I bought 6 brackets in a L shape, screw them at a board that is longer as the keel, and place them between the frames.

For me it works perfect.

When the hull is planked ,maybe you can found another solution ( like the Dremel workbench )

And I have to agree with Wayne,

I also hear the little voice from the Syren…LET ME OUT, LET ME OUT!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Robbyn,

For your build board, why not use a few pieces of 'L' shaped steel or aluminium drilled to take screws through to the board? You can fix one side in place, then use your keel to determine the separation needed for the other side.

Of course, this will happen AFTER you finish the SF, won't it ;)

For my Confed, I'm just planning on getting a couple pieces of quarter round and nailing them to a plank, I'll just use some of the master sheet to determine width to separate them.

Andy

This is pretty much what I did for San Felipe, but I used cove moulding on a board.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

You may find the rigging is quite stress relieving, it is repetitive but not difficult, once you have it sorted you can just do it on auto pilot which leaves your mind free to relax but not so much that you can start thinking about other stuff.

Robbyn, 

Your start on rigging looks great, you'll figure out how to keep everything lined up. I will be observing and taking notes quietly from the back row, If all goes well I will be rigging myself by the end of spring and your log will be a great tutorial I am sure.

I know what you mean about "furry little vacuum cleaners." Mine has run off with more than a few parts. She thinks my work table is her personal toy box. 

I see there are some here who are still trying to convince you to let the second-build-gremlins out, you must resist!!! Ladies get jealous when you give attention to others. Maybe what you could do is take a hi-rez picture of the open box with all the contents, cut it up into tiny odd shaped pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and start a new build log. Post a piece a day and let the "trouble makers" ;)  put it back together with the promise you will start building after the first post of the completed picture.  :D

Then again, I understand there is a "doghouse" out back? Your just an extension cord and can of air freshener away from all the room you need....... :P

We really need and emoticon for "running and ducking" or "hiding under the desk" on this site.

Keep up the great work.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Robbyn,

I'll copy your jig. Be sitting right beside Sam, following your hesitant advances in the big unknown world of rigging - maybe distract the teacher a bit now and again ;)

Have a great time, see you when you are back again

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ok, I am back from my little break, decided during that time that I am going to tear out the 2 sets of shroud lines I have done and start them over. I am NOT happy with the serving, or the section above the deadeye. It looks okay until I add the excess lanyard rope. Probably won't have any updates for a few days, sorry Sjors, but while I was back home I picked up all my bedding and garden plants, so I know the next couple nights at least will be spent getting my garden in and the flower pots filled with blooms.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Alright, so it has been slow going the last few days. I took the weekend off, then Monday decided I was completely unhappy with my shroud lines to date so I took everything down and started over. I have only had a couple hours to work on the build this this week...still finishing up work (yea, tomorrow is my last day for 2 1/2 weeks)...then when I get home I have been working on getting the garden in and flowers put in for the season. Had to spend most of my time building planting boxes as I don't have a rototiller to till up a large garden area. But i am happy with my containers and they will hold everything this year. Only putting out tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, cantaloupe, strawberries, and radishes. Next year, hopefully much more!

so the build...I was happy originally with the wrapping (woolding?) to secure the shroud line to the deadeye, but when the lanyard got wrapped too I felt it looked to thick and clumpy. I saw some pics that showed it wrapped in three places above the dead eye, so I did that this time.

I feel it looks cleaner and neater this way. Note that all my holes in the deadeyes are where they are supposed to be at this stage.

post-127-0-18206500-1368584875_thumb.jpg

So this is what it looks like after the lanyard is attached. Much better than before, but still leaves a lot to be desired. My hope is that as I do the next 25 of these I will improve.

Also note that somehow, a couple of those deadeyes twisted on me and the single hole is not where it should be any longer.post-127-0-38382500-1368585551.gif

I gave up on that for this bunch. Still trying to figure out how to keep it from doing that on the next ones. Maybe I am putting too much tension on things....post-127-0-26136300-1368585530.gif

Anyway, this is where things stand for now...25 more lanyards and shroud lines to go :wacko:

Yes, I know, things are fuzzy...I have beeswax on, but have not yet used the stuff Andy talked about on the lines. I am hoping that will improve the looks of things, that and some dusting! Wow, the camera shows every speck :o

post-127-0-52793400-1368584894_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I'm dead eye destined in the next week or so... and so it'll be interesting to hear from the more experienced riggers about why the twist.

Probably something like a left hand twist simultaneously occurred when an alignment not found in nature of the first meta-carpal came into direct opposition to the bulwark while brushing against the posterior position of the shroud. That probably produces the typical one-eye elevation... :huh:

Sages... what say you???

Edited by lamarvalley

Hi Robbyn,

Re your twisting deadeye. I noticed while working on mine that I had to be careful about not over tightening the lanyards as they were being reeved through the deadeyes. If you tighten up too much after reeving through the first hole, it has a tendency to pull on the deadeye and make it slip around (ie it wants to bring those two deadeye holes closer together and relieve some of the tension). I found that if I kept the tension fairly loose until all the holes had been reeved, then went back and tightened each section a little at a time, then the problem was avoided. Not sure if my description here will make any sense for you, but I hope you can follow my drift.

Grant, I followed perfectly. I thought that too after the first ones I did that I had that problem. This time when I replaced everything I took special care to reeve all the holes first but still had the problem on 2 of the 5. Perhaps when tightening I am still pulling too much, and need to tighten in smaller increments. I will work on the next set and see if they end up any better.

Randy, there is something to be said for your twist idea. I think if I had put in proper chainplates, instead of just using wire and twisting it like the kit says I might have a better result. If you twisted yours as well you will soon see what I mean. the lower deadeyes sit nice and square when first nailed in place, but as soon as you add the lanyard, then of course the entire line assembly wants to twist in the direction of your chainplate twist.  I have had to use CA and brute force to keep the lower deadeyes facing the correct direction.

Oh well, live and learn and apply that knowledge in the future :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Ah... not metal securing the lower deadeyes?  Using line?  If so, try 'painting' the line with PVA, or matte lacquer.  What's happening is the tension causes the line to twist or unravel.  It also works for the top deadeyes, thus, the recommendation for 'pre-tensioning' them to get rid of the twist before reeving the lanyard.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I will try that on the next set tonight!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Okay, ok, a pic or two. So sorry I have kept you all silent for so long post-127-0-43522600-1368811181.gif

This is where she sits. 9 more shroud lines to wrap, 8 to put lanyards on.

post-127-0-32823600-1368810991_thumb.jpg

Today the fed ex truck showed up post-127-0-43079500-1368811124.gif I have been waiting for ME to send me the missing parts from the longboat kit, and at last they are here!!

post-127-0-19324100-1368811008_thumb.jpg

So as soon as those last 9 shroud lines are complete...it is on to this

post-127-0-07771100-1368811015_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-69714600-1368811025_thumb.jpg

Once SF is done...then Sjors, then I can do this

post-127-0-93090700-1368811041_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, just because Sjors asked me to post-127-0-05061000-1368811180.gif I opened her up today and breathed deeply the aroma of new wood :D

post-127-0-22225700-1368811060_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-22595500-1368811073_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Thank you, Robbyn - the shrouds are looking nice!  Try not to overindulge in the Syren scent - you want to savor in small doses and leave some for when the actual build commences!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Robbyn, your shrouds are looking great... thanks for the update... getting closer and closer every day.;)

Feeding the monster eh?? Sjors is gonna be soooo happy.... shrouds and the syren in one post... big day even without popcorn :)

Edited by lamarvalley

The shrouds are looking great....the rigging really changes the look of a ship, for the better, I think.

The long boat looks like a wonderful project, and I think once you start it, the call of the Syren will wane.....a little. ;)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Robbyn,

Three builds?  I guess I didn't I get the memo that we're all supposed to be doing as many builds as Popeye? :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, well you know what they say about the best laid plans, but yes, the plan was to begin the long boat while doing ratlines on the SF, that way I would have something to do while planks are bent and sanded and spiled and fit and glued and....you get the idea. Then I figured once the SF was done I could do the same thing with the Syren, start that planking stuff that takes so much time, and while waiting for glue to dry keep moving forward with the longboat.

I have decided it is in my best interest to have 2 builds going at once, then there will never be a dull day.

Right now I am actually looking forward to starting rat lines...I am sick of wrapping shroud lines, lanyards, and deadeyes and crave something...anything different to do just for a change of pace!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station