San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Robbyn,

I tried to drill small holes, the material of the KIT is very soft and you can drill very carefully the holes in the crow's nest.
Then I glued the eyes with CA glue so they no longer turn.

I have made the crowns nest of wood therefore I had the original not used.

I hope you can use it.

post-13-0-06597300-1369852689_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-64043700-1369852668_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-45210200-1369852696_thumb.jpg

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

Thanks Robert, I am going to give it a try on the mast tomorrow!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

No problem Andy, I will figure something out, I do appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me...Come see me at the longboat site..going to take a couple days off here, while I wait for my morope order

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

talk about being late for a party or what!   hard to believe how fast the site has grown........so many new folks and their builds!  came across your build and took a looky.........looks all neat and tidy.......really nice job!   too bad about the rigging thread.....I'm not too big a fan of kit supplied thread either.   I have a whole bag full of Billing rigging thread.....just figured out what to do about staining it for the standing rigging.   I tend to go walkabout for mine....found quite a bit in my travels.  the ratlines you've done already look really good.....I hope the thread you get is simular to it.  nice job Robbyn ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I think you have made a good decision Robbyn, if not for the SF, for the Syren, you want to get all the lessons learned before you start that one, although there will be different challenges with her too.

Hello Robbyn,I saw a new modeling tool, The small table model scroll(two in one)saw by, Dermel moto saw MS20-01,Attaches to the modeling table or kitchen with a clamp,Approx 89$ ,maybe worth sharing with others .Have a good weekend you and yours. Edwin.

I will have to check out that tool Edwin, thanks for telling me about it.

Small update...my morope order arrived yesterday...wow got it in 3 days so was impressed.

Problem...what AL calls .25 mm is NOT what morope calls .25. The Morope stuff is 1/2 the diameter of the kit provided string. However, I do like the looks of the stuff from Morope.

I placed a new order immediately for rope in the correct size, or should I say in the AL size. I figure I will have plenty of uses for the other rope in other builds.

So, now, just waiting for the new order to come in, then I can begin the rework of all the rigging.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn, just read your entire build log.......all I can say is its fantastic and your first build too......You also throw yourself out of aircraft too which is what I do for fun. I was in the Parachute Regiment for several years and continued throwing myself out of all sorts of aircraft after i left the army, I also flew micro-light aircraft for several years, but the most frightening thing I did in my life was to be a passenger on a motorcycle, very scary with no feeling of being in control. 140 MPH plus on a motorway in England was enough for me. I have jumped from balloons, helicopters, and at night in the pitch dark but the motorbike thing was by far the worst. Good luck on the remainder of your build. I also liked your comments on being a bad patient when you lanced your hand. A well known explorer from the UK, Sir Ranulph Feinnes was also a bad patient. On a trip to one of the Poles he went throught the ice and ended up with frostbite in a couple of his fingers on one hand. His surgeon told him he had  to wait untill the remains of his fingers were opperable which would be some considerable time. The finger ends were now exposed red painful stumps and rendered his hand extremely painful at even the slightest touch. Feinnes had had enough and went to his workshop one night, secured his hand in a vice and promptly hacksawed his painful stumps off. Needless to say  his surgeon was not impressed.

Hi again Robbyn.........a word on the ratlines and shrouds.......on my Greyhound build I removed the entire shrouds and ratlines......................TWICE....because I was not happy with them. At the time it is a decision only you can make, but i'm glad I did it because as the way it was, when I looked at Greyhound my eyes fixed straight on what I didnt like.  

Edited by harlequin

Harlequin, glad you enjoyed my log...the errors and side trips and all, and thank you for your compliments. I know exactly what you are saying about the eyes going straight to the things you are most unhappy with. That is what I kept doing...so yep, gotta tear it down until I am happy with it!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I will have to check out that tool Edwin, thanks for telling me about it.

Small update...my morope order arrived yesterday...wow got it in 3 days so was impressed.

Problem...what AL calls .25 mm is NOT what morope calls .25. The Morope stuff is 1/2 the diameter of the kit provided string. However, I do like the looks of the stuff from Morope.

I placed a new order immediately for rope in the correct size, or should I say in the AL size. I figure I will have plenty of uses for the other rope in other builds.

So, now, just waiting for the new order to come in, then I can begin the rework of all the rigging.

Hello Robbyn

Here is a tip to measure the diameter of the rope.

Wrap the rope 10 times to get a screwdriver and share this by 10 and you have the correct diameter.

post-13-0-42927100-1370149909_thumb.jpg

Edited by robert1965

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

You are brave Robbyn and I admire your determination to get it right, I am sure the new rope will look so much better than the cheap crap that came with the kit.

You will be able to rig it with your eyes closed !!

In light of this I am sure the Syren will be beautiful !

Steve

It is actually manufactured in Germany.  We only have one small supplier here in the USA.  Probably be cheaper for you to order direct from Germany.

http://home.foni.net/~agondesen/left.htm

The link should be the English site from the supplier.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Tom, I am giving it my all that is for sure!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hello Wayne,

Where did you find the rigging sketches above?  These are easier for me to understand then pictures so if there is more please let me know where to get them.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Wayne,

Where did you find the rigging sketches above?  These are easier for me to understand then pictures so if there is more please let me know where to get them.

Thanks,

Jim

Hey, Jim.  I had to really go back to figure out which pictures! 

The extremely complex one is (I think) a drawing of the shrouds etc on the HMS Victory.  I am not sure where I found it, though.

The simpler one is from http://www.blogstaugustinelighthouse.org/blog/Standing%20rigging%20labels_Lever%201819%20p25.jpg

It is a drawing from the book The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor; Or, A Key to the Leading of Rigging, and to Practical Seamanship by Darcy Lever.  There are several versions available for download on line.  You may also want to look into Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson.  This one is all drawings and is very useful - with the caveat that it applies to a specific ship and time (this one is print only, about $30 on Amazon).

Hope that helps!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Morope has arrived, all of it has been waxed, stretched, and dried....tear out of original rigging commencing!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I can't tear it out again... I just CAN'T! Three restarts is enough. I'll use the AL stuff for the shrouds and morope for everything else... ratlines and all the other stuff that I don't even know about yet but see in vague pictures.... but I admire your determination to get it right... I just have to consider my sanity at this point and if I ripped those shrouds out again I might lose the will to re-shroud for a fourth time. Hmmm...

Enjoying the tear out Robbyn. Looking forward to seeing the new version.

Get the old stuff off, take a day off and then attack with vigor.

PS- don't get that new ring caught in the rigging

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Don't listen to that ....S named person Robbyn.  Take your time and do it to your own satisfaction.  The other S will wait patiently for your attention, unlike some who shall remain nameless! :D 

HAHAHAHA, NOT ready to start the Syren yet Sjors....I told you, going to finish this one first!!!

Managed to remove all the previously installed rigging...really felt sad to do it, but I know I will be happier in the long run when I can get the upper shrouds done correctly.

I am having a heck of a time getting the masts apart...cant remember what kind of glue I used.

I am thinking it is PVA so I will soak some paper towels with water, then wrap them around the portions I need to separate and wrap all that in aluminum foil and let sit until tomorrow  after work. hopefully then it will all separate without damaging anything.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station