Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Well I'll be darned.  I wish I had even 2% of your creativity.  The Admiral wants to know if you're planning to put a 1:20 George Clooney on board?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

jee.......I didn't even get to the good part :)   I was going to show it,  but Gibbs had other ideas......he wanted to go in the living room.   I told him it was after 10:00 PM.........he might as well go back and lay with Kevin,  but he wouldn't have it.   you really ought to see him......it would make you laugh.   I ended up feeding his Frankenstein.  so here it is.........

safe to say that I have broken away from the Holiday build......but it doesn't mean I didn't do anything with it { I have a small update for that build too}.   after I was finished doing the rough draft on the reel,  I looked at the cap rails......yup.....I need to get them on the build.   the fore end of the starboard side rail was rounded off and slotted to fit over the extension I had fitted in the fore deck overhang.  I had also notched where it would run by the stanchion.

post-612-0-05051300-1417097147.jpg

post-612-0-92184900-1417097160.jpg

filler was used to take care of the imperfection at the tip.   I had to fix it at the stern,  because it ended up inwards too far.   I did the port side the same way.

post-612-0-16837500-1417097325.jpg

after adding three bulwark posts to the transom bulwark,  the rail was cemented in place.   then it was trimmed,  and rounded to mimic the rest of the rail work

post-612-0-50356000-1417097429.jpg

post-612-0-14707200-1417097449.jpg

so........now it just the portholes that is holding back the paint work.   soon......my friends......very soon!

thanks to all of you who hit the like button.......And to those who commented!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

while I was messing around with the Harbor build,  I thought I'd flesh out another aspect of this build.   I was thinking about the ice maker.   first I thought of a grill along the bottom.......and two doors above it.

post-612-0-18751700-1417833059.jpg

then I thought about an access panel on the side.

post-612-0-60120500-1417833116.jpg

it now needs paint and brass detail......along with some fins in the grill,  but this is how it will look.

post-612-0-20303700-1417833214.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks like a piece of high end furniture.  NICE!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Another holliday for eyes

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Augie and Nenad......once I get the paint and accents on it,  it should pass muster ;)  thanks also to all you fine folks who hit the like button.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thats ice maker looks great never thot of that keep up the great work as all ways

thanks Dragzz...it will look better when I get it finished

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence......still a bit more work on it.  not much done this week.........I think the Holidays are going to put a damper on building,  but I'll try not to let it  ;)  we'll have to see.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

these past few weeks,  leading up to this wonderful day,  has been quite hectic........but that doesn't mean that I haven't been doing any modeling.  an already started kit has come into my possession,  which kicked off a super cool idea.   after assessing what I will need to do,  it has been tabled,  until I finish some of these projects I have in the works.  Christmas was good to me too.....getting a couple of kits that are unrelated to ship modeling......but I also got the Academy 1:400 scale kit of the Titanic

post-612-0-60643800-1419543508.jpg

....that too will be a future project.   a couple of days ago,  I put some time in at the table,  on the Andrea Gail.   I had some bollard pins in inventory,  so I made up the bollards for the A.G. and the trawler Syborn.

post-612-0-23599100-1419543710.jpg

I still haven't drilled the holes for the portholes yet,  so I thought I'd make the railings for the fore deck,  drilling the holes for the stanchions.  there are a few short ones behind the pilot house,  and two that run along the fore deck,  to the bow.

post-612-0-31068900-1419543976.jpg

post-612-0-68618100-1419544030.jpg

there is a cap for the tip of the bow,  that I made next.

post-612-0-92305500-1419544095.jpg

the bollards were cut to size,  and dug out the last ship's wheel I have on hand

post-612-0-36468200-1419544238.jpg

going back to the railings,  more were added

post-612-0-55819900-1419544379.jpg

getting to the port side,  the rack and podium still need to have the adjustments made to it.  I need to trim the ladder and open up the railing leading to the fore deck.   the adjustments were made

post-612-0-16673700-1419544535.jpg

post-612-0-17642700-1419544550.jpg

...and those railing were added at this time

post-612-0-57740200-1419544599.jpg

next will be the stern reels

post-612-0-59620800-1419544632.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really nice railings. 

That Titanic should be spectacular!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great progress on your ship Popeye! Those railings are very nice.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Yeah, thiny, fragille and very sweet !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for the kind comments and the likes :)    there's still a few more thing I need to do to the rack and podium.  the stern reels are in production as we speak.   everything done brings me closer to the point where paint is unavoidable.   I need to make an exhaust system for the cellar.  I do have a neat idea for it,  but I have to get over to the local hardware store and get a dryer duct.  there are no dryers in operation in the cellar now........the ducting for the outside is not in use.  I'm planning on taking a box fan,  and wall off the back of it with the duct built into the center.  then connect the fan to the outside duct with a duct hose.  I'll be setting up a new table down there,  close to the outside wall ducts.......good thing there are a few pallets lying around down there ;)

again....thanks for the good word.  I thought it was bad that the projects were piling up before me........now they're starting to pile up behind me as well!   it's so hard to keep from getting into the Titanic kit ;)   perhaps I can do a review of some sort......it's really a nice kit.  the chrome for the stand needs to go though.....if you saw it,  you'd understand why :)    more soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

never a dull moment Omega......I'm waiting for repercussions :D   the admiral got me the Lindberg Jolly Rogers a while ago.......a few weeks ago,  she was quizzing me about why I haven't started it yet.   I'll expect to hear something pretty quick with the Titanic :D  :D   there are a lot of you tube vids on her history and some neat vids about her resting place......I've already watched quite a few of them.   I'll hold off as long as I can......I'm trying to be logical about this

Happy Modeling into 2015  everyone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Lawrence....I guess one of the reasons why I chose this boat,  is the fact that the detail is mostly outside where it can be seen....and of course,  the similarity of the hulls.  if I were ever asked,  I would suggest the A.G. kit  #BB608........I think it would make for a great build.  the instructions aren't too bad, even though they are somewhat vague.

I did make a bit more progress on the stern reels.   it does kind of bum me out a bit.....everything on deck is white.  I will try and accent here and there to break up the monotony ;)   one side of the reel spools was done the same as the fore deck spool......splined all around.

post-612-0-73911300-1419690347.jpg

post-612-0-21658700-1419690376.jpg

I needed to make one more pair of uprights,  and then the cross supports

post-612-0-66668600-1419690654.jpg

while these were drying,  bits of wood were added to some of the shorter legs of the rack / podium,  so they will touch the deck.

post-612-0-67470200-1419690947.jpg

with everything trimmed, cut and sanded to shape,  all the reel parts were brought together for paint.

post-612-0-20611100-1419691026.jpg

post-612-0-30729300-1419691042.jpg

while I had the paint out,  the ice maker got a coat.   flat black was painted into the grate opening as a backing color for the louvers

post-612-0-83110400-1419691163.jpg

the gear will be on one side.....I accented the other.

post-612-0-68496000-1419691414.jpg

post-612-0-90686700-1419691432.jpg

they were too flimsy to show as a dry fit.......so I got them to the point of touch up to show you.  I may have to adjust the height as well.

post-612-0-79731800-1419691555.jpg

post-612-0-91794000-1419691581.jpg

post-612-0-21821100-1419691601.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Incredible.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks Augie  :)............thanks Sjors  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have to admit I have no idea where you are going with this boat, but it sure is fun watching.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

She's beginning to look ship-shape Popeye.  Nicely done.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm working from the Billing's instructions for the vessel Bob.  combining the BB608 and BB526 plans for her,  I can get details that either one fails to add.   the only crappy thing about the instructions,  is that they have no clear direction concerning the rigging.  I have some pictures of her {and the vessel they used for the movie},  but even they are pretty vague.  I'm still looking around though......I still have time before I get to that point.  when she's painted and the trawl rig is in place,  it will make sense..........I promise  :)

no.....no......no heavy alcohol for me Carl.   I'm crazy enough as it is  :D   although,  for Christmas Eve,  we spend a quiet evening at home, playing a board game called "Christmas Monopoly".....my son found it a couple of years ago.  I made my 'Taco scoops' {medium heat},  so I knocked back a few beers......snacking,  and played the game 'ad nauseam'.......and then we watched a sappy Christmas movie.

there's no paint on the hull yet....just primer,  I'm afraid.  I painted the reels with a brush.

thanks John and Piet........Carl got me thinking of those scoops........so I made up a small batch for myself.   I skipped the meat filler and used mild salsa.......so bland!   {gotta get to the store tomorrow!}  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Just catching up with your latest project, she's coming along beautifully Sir, very precise and clean work! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

hello Aldo!   good to see you.........guess I didn't catch the news that you had been ill.........I hope your feeling much better.   oh yes....same old me........just a bit more crazier  :)   with build like this......all this early stuff is text book.....nothing much is going on.   when I start to fit these two out........that's when the joint 'L start hopping.   I hope your well enough to stay for a while......perhaps continue on one of your builds......I miss seeing your work  :)   may the New Year bring better days and good health to you!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: