Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

well........that was a bit of a process!   I think I answered the question......."is a round surface easier to paint than a flat surface?"   NO!!!   not by a long shot!   it's like trying to 'shoot the moon',  so to speak! :D

it's more like  'spray tanning'........ya gotta flip 'em over!  I'm just spoof'in here of course......but it is true......let the first coat dry a bit,  before it's flipped over to get the other side.   so,  it was done in two waves.......but it came out well.   the other thing I had to wrestle with,  is the fact that I used the spray can and not an airbrush.   this primer is very watery,  and the temp in the cellar isn't warm enough......I can't wait to see what the color paint will do with these factors.

first.....the pilot house.   I took the dash out to do it.......the idea that I put those pieces along the topsides of the roof opening,  made it a bit hard to remove it.  I did manage to miss one silly spot.......usually,  I paint before I assemble,  but I was flying blind, in toggling the paint and assembly.....and well,  one of them had to win  ;)

post-612-0-49628100-1421858869.jpg

post-612-0-18821700-1421858905.jpg

then....the rack / podium.   I was glad to see that I didn't fill in all the holes in the netting.  I tried to be careful with this.....glad it paid off.   the holes for that little bit of railing can barely be seen...I filled them with CA prior to painting.

post-612-0-44051200-1421859100.jpg

post-612-0-44137900-1421859114.jpg

then......the first section of the trawl rig.   I like the way it came out.......some drips did occur with the railings,  but they were easily remedied with a finger.  you can see the scope of the whiteness...even the railings are white.

post-612-0-00698500-1421859369.jpg

post-612-0-67187000-1421859385.jpg

now you see these aspects three

all painted white as they can be

all that's left,  is this only one

I did the vessel,  just for fun!

post-612-0-93219600-1421859532.jpg

the railings needed to be done......so why not simply leave them where they are,  and spray them all at once.  I didn't flip 'er over to do the underside of the rub rails though......and that pesky line down the middle of the deck......I'll fill that thing or else!!!   the problem here is that the main deck was done in two pieces,  rather than the one piece,  the fore deck was made from {I had cemented the two pieces of flat stock together,  prior to cutting it out......or,  was it three pieces????   oh,  well!}.  I don't plan on giving the deck areas any other paint,  aside from what you see........flat white

post-612-0-16821600-1421860030.jpg

post-612-0-99452800-1421860047.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Bob :)   as I learned with the Mary Ann build,  it's kinda like a tab-boo to add in things that weren't on the actual ship.  I remember the person from Danmark who commented on my gallery pictures of her {word Press or Blogger.....I forget which}.    he pointed out the things that weren't on the original boat........but,  he did comment how he liked it for the imagination and ideas I had put into her.  I could tell that he wasn't critiquing the build.......he was merely stating the facts that we both knew.  ;)   I still feel good about how that build came out.

it was fun to do....and it proved that I COULD go bananas.....without going bonkers!  :D  :D   I didn't kill the subject.......not like I did with the lobster boat.......we BOTH know that :D  :D   thanks for the good word my friend........I'm trying not to go TOO overboard with this one  ;)

thanks George..!  ;)  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Just love!! it Denis....... will you make me one?? :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

At this point, I think you're ready for a 1/24 Eiffel Tower !  REALLY good stuff, Popeye.  And excellent painting.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looks nice and smooth, Popeye.  You best keep it indoors for now as with the snow coming, you might lose her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Popeye and I really, really like your banter about all you plan and do.  It's more thinking out loud that keeps your logs interesting.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

hello popeye . all i can say is really good  way to go on this build u have done so well keep up the great work

thank you all....so very much!   I am a bit humbled......really appreciate the kind comments :)   once a couple more key elements are done,  then the deck work can begin,  and things will start to show the complexity.  it's a mind boggle,  just to think of what to do next......going from one sub assembly......to the next.   now to finish off some of them,  and get them ready for the time they can be put in place permanently.  thanks again for the good word and to those who hit the like button.........should be another update......very soon :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

making the flat part of the roof was easy.......

post-612-0-70999600-1421940211.jpg

making the visor was another.   the curved front was beveled to accentuate the slant....and then it started! I couldn't get the curve right,  without causing the roof to curve along with it.  I was using the last piece of 1/32 thick flat stock I had....ended up making that unusable in short order.   luckily I have that pack of thin strip mahogany {25 mm wide}.......so I used it.   at this point,  I was pretty fed - up with trying to be pretty with it.......cut the width of the sides and roughed it out {wished I had three hands for it}

post-612-0-88187800-1421941051.jpg

once the glue had dried...to the point where it was holding well enough,  the top part of the visor was trimmed flush with the roof.

post-612-0-90928300-1421941153.jpg

post-612-0-84047300-1421941173.jpg

in between this foolishness,  I had painted some 2 mm thin strip black,  and began to make the fins for the grates in the ice maker and the vent.   this was another trial of patience.......with putting as many fins in the space....and keeping the spacing even {I kinda lost that battle}.   complicating the matter,  is the fact that everything is black.

post-612-0-62620300-1421941689.jpg

post-612-0-28609000-1421941705.jpg

I had to wait a few times for the glue to dry......I was using a long pin to adjust the fins.   I'd hit the preceding one.........and that would put me back where I started.  but I got them both done.

post-612-0-64218900-1421941855.jpg

I did a lot of adjustments and sanding to get the visor in shape.   mahogany is not an easy wood to work with....especially at this thickness.  still need to do a little more to the port side front corner.

post-612-0-24127900-1421942534.jpg

around the back,  I wasn't too keen on leaving the corners open.....so I did this.   I might change it though......I thought of something else.  either way I go....there is enough roof overhang,  where it won't hinder the entrance.

post-612-0-28071000-1421942905.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

pulling out the white paint..........more white?!?!?!  yes.....folks,  I'm building a boat......in black 'n white!  even the instructions are in black 'n white!   could it be.........is this the reason why I'm going in circles with these colors?  MAN!!!!!   I gotta run out right now,  and find a kit that has full color instructions!  :D

spoof'in's fun.....isn't it?  why.......I do it all the time :)  well,  anyway.....the ice maker needed a second coat.......right along with the frame of the vent.   I was real careful not to get any on the fins........and then it happened!   crrrrraaaaapppp!  :wub: hey....... :wub: ......that don't look too bad!   I did the tips of the fins with a damp brush........and the rest is posterity.

post-612-0-89765900-1421943870.jpg

post-612-0-57301600-1421943892.jpg

not much else to do with the vent........so I finished off the ice maker.   the door handles and hinges are just bent brass rod {different sizes}.  painting the heads of some 7 mm brads made for simulated bolts or screws.....whichever the mind prefers.

post-612-0-38988700-1421944481.jpg

post-612-0-79553800-1421944495.jpg

the vent was put in place.

post-612-0-81489700-1421944570.jpg

post-612-0-78053900-1421944588.jpg

....and together,  they exist......in perfect symbiosis  {or as near as I can get them}  :)

post-612-0-41286400-1421944733.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks George........there are times when trying to make parts,  requires a not so subtle approach.   I get a lot of those  ;)

thanks for the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

again, nice!! work Denis.... another M&M is born!!! :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Avast mate!  This is a serious vessel.  No room for umbrellas and dance floors here!

On the other hand, the brass accents on the ice maker add a nice touch!  Popeye, you're the man!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well done on the visor.  Sometimes a heavy hand and desperation are our friends.  :)    And that ice maker... a 1953 Hotpoint?  :D  Has that look to it...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

,  I was pretty fed - up with trying to be pretty with it.......cut the width of the sides and roughed it out {wished I had three hands for it}

Ah yes the frustration of compound curves. Makes one wonder how we ever got boats like skiffs and Dories doesn't it.

Nice work of the roof and the details of the fridge, but is the beer cold inside?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Like those details on your ice cream maker (... selling cones???) That visor at the cabin's entrance at the rear ... hope you enlist short people ... or are you drafting the oldfashioned English way? About your B&W colour scheme ... great idea! All those bright colours used nowadays are so tiring to the eyes, besides retro is good ;)

Keep it up mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Just ... wonderfull and amazing ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

what a fine bunch of comments to read........very frustrating afternoon...........thank you very much.   I showed the admiral the ice maker.  I gotta stop doing that........now she'll NEVER let me buy the pre-fab stuff :D

thanks Frank and Augie!   a while ago,  I mentioned that this build has the same feel,  as when I did the M&M boat.  the only difference here,  is that I'm following some sort of instruction.   rest assured though,  that I'm not following them to the letter.......merely for reference to see what the parts look like.

thanks Mark.......considering that the appliance you mentioned was made before my time.......the only conclusion I can come up with,  is that I might have owned one in a past life,  or I saw it at the dump!  I sure as heck,  didn't deduce it from the plans......that's for sure!

thanks Michael.......it killed me...I'm usually pretty good with figuring this stuff out in my head.  to get that slant,  the arch of the curve actually changes......diminishes quite a bit.   I guess it was a good thing,  because the visor really needed to be thinner than 1/16,  which is why I was using 1/32.   the mahogany is 0.7 mm.........worked out even better!

thanks Carl.......as I mentioned,  don't hold me to that aft brim work on the roof.......I have another idea.   there is enough room for the entrance,  but I don't like it.   what I have in mind will look better.   the black 'n white thing is only for now........I think there is another color I can throw into the mix........soon as I can get the cellar set up........March is coming in January!

thanks John and Nenad........the really good part is coming.................:)

hello Marty!  yea....you got me....I planned to do that to the vents.   ....just a but of accent on the louvers......white into a dirty black background {shows depth}.   doing all this........makes me think I should have bought the kit.  nawwwww,  now where would the fun be in that?  :D   glad to have you follow along.......it should start to get more interesting.  thanks for the good word!

there's another update tomorrow...just figured I'd warn ya ahead of time.  ya may want ta practice yer jig! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

I'm impressed, yet, once again.  I agree with everyone's comments about the overall quality and complexity of the detail but....the ice maker really is the bee's knees!  Seriously well done

One question though - will you be weathering your hull, deck and deck furnishings, in much the same fashion as Kees De Mol's ship??  

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Great progress! We go away for a couple hours and you always manage to get some more pictures in. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Patrick....sometimes I do kick myself for not getting into that area of detail.   I don't weather too much.....proof in the pudding would be my lobster boat......which I gotta get off my duff and get some gallery pictures up  {it's been finished for a while now}.  I have tried to do it........see it the next morning......think it's terrible,  and then fix it.   one of these days,  I'll give it a go........but don't say I didn't warn you  :D  ;)

hey there Mr. Dangerous........I took  this past Monday off,  and I'm making an almost perfect attempt at doing something every day.....I'm on a five day week end :)   there's an update for today...still need to get it up........and then cook up what I'll do today.   the bad part is that I haven't done anything on my word press site........I am sooooo freak'in far behind!

thanks for the good word! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now that the roof is well under way,  I thought I'd get the interior of the pilot house in order.   I'm probably not going to do a lot in there........but I will throw something at it.   going into the cast off piece bottle again,  the dash was fitted with gauge bezels

post-612-0-59814700-1422025649.jpg

still thinking of what to add,  I made up another sampson post........and what looks like another,  much taller vent tube assembly,  associated with the catch hold.

post-612-0-85253100-1422025880.jpg

while this was drying,  I settled into a video game.........more thought about where to go next.  then I snapped!   normally,  when I paint,  I do it as I go along....I get a better separation of color that way.

but,  with the way this build came about,  and was assembled,  I wasn't able to do that.  all I could think of,  was "how in the heck am I going to mask her?" and.....keeping the deck area paint free.  I have boxed myself into quite a corner here.......gonna take some creative taping to save my butt!  it took a bit of effort, but I did it.   no exhaust fan,  and less than desirable temps........I'm going for it!

let's just say that this spontaneous decision,  shouldn't have been done with so little regard with what could go wrong.   first was the airbrush..........the one I have relied on since 2010...the Testor's E-Z air siphon feed.  I still say that it's not a bad airbrush for the money.......I bought the complete "Amazing Air kit" for something like $29.00.......and I've painted all of my builds since then,  with very little trouble.

I think the sad part about this airbrush,  is it's mostly made of plastic,  and can become badly worn over time.  the heads of the plastic caps can become distorted and contributed most of the problems with the paint delivery.  needless to say.......when I was done,  I scalped what I could from it,  and the rest went into the trash!   I have another one,  that I bought from the clearance rack at Hobby Lobby,  that I can outfit and use with my compressor, as easy as I did with the first one.  my other problem was the paint.   if anyone has followed my exploits in the past,  I had acquired a good supply of Billing's paints a while back.   I still say that these paints are a good quality paint......goes on nice and has a really hard finish when dry.   ones that I've opened so far,  have been the more common paints,  and have been OK.   I have opened others though......you can clearly tell that they've been on the shelf too long.......long gelled and hard *useless*.   such is the case for the paint I used here......I brought down two bottles, to the cellar paint room.  the first one had a skin build - up around the neck {which I did use}.......the second one was completely dead :(    I have one more bottle of this color in my inventory {I hope it's good}

for all the trouble and frustration I encountered,  the paint work didn't come out too bad.  I checked that third bottle,  and it is good.........I'll need it for touch ups ;)     I was going to start this update with an upbeat Irish motif because of the new color introduced.......if I would have done this last night....you would have experienced all sorts of blarney!  so.....here is the new color added to the mix 'Emerald Green'.

post-612-0-63434000-1422028996.jpg

post-612-0-95120800-1422029010.jpg

after some time,  it was brought upstairs where it's warm.  I was surprised to find only one small run,  on the whole job........very insignificant with how everything went.   the bottom hull section was masked around the lower rub rail......before the bottom paint is done,  I will paint this area.  there is no waterline on this vessel.   I gave it more time to dry,  before I removed the bottom masking.  I was still curious about the deck area......I'll wait a bit longer to reveal it.

post-612-0-93316100-1422031297.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I like the color, and I have my fingers crossed for the deck masking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

removing the upper area masking,  I was surprised to see that there was so little over spray.  I will need to see what the cap rail color is supposed to be.......I think it is Green,  so I used it as a mask point.   the main deck isn't too bad.......the scuppers will always be a sore spot........I can never get perfect paint in these areas.

post-612-0-34878300-1422031739.jpg

post-612-0-90881800-1422031760.jpg

the fore deck needs a little touch up........but it fared rather well with the way I masked it

post-612-0-64616800-1422031853.jpg

here are the most critical areas.......under the fore deck.   the starboard side did very well.....nothing here to speak of.

post-612-0-02674300-1422031968.jpg

but the port side didn't fare as well.......still,  there's only a slight tinge,  so it's not too bad.

post-612-0-78628200-1422032038.jpg

I'll need to decant some of the primer,  to touch them up.   really not too bad considering the task it took to mask it.   one I can paint around the lower rub rail and establish the line........and get the rudder in place.......then I can do the bottom paint.   then....with all that done......I can go no where else,  but up!

I'm smiling :)  the hard part of the paint is over ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob......I like the color too :)  I have the third bottle on the desk at the moment.....whenever I get fidgety......I just pick up the bottle and shake it  :D  :D   I was looking through my Testor's paints.......I see that the #1124 Green,  is very close to the Billing's Emerald Green BB#3.  I will need to do a couple splotches to be sure........I'm sure that the Testor's color is in my paint shop spectrum.  if it is,  then I'll have very little trouble making the decals I need.   white lettering {white decal paper}.....changing the background to green.

I made it through the burning hoop with just a slight singe........thank you my friend......I hope you like it as much as I do!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: