Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Sorry Dennis! Don't know how I missed that. (Insert senior moment here).  :rolleyes:

post-12186-0-19951700-1430503785.jpg

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

All is well with the buoys.  Early to bed tonite  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popeye,

I just love the buoys.

I will learn you another Dutch word.

Those thing you are making and calling buoys, we are calling that dobbers...... :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

no worries George.........this build was moving way too fast during that time  ;)

thanks Augie.......you and Callie can take a nap.........that is of course,  right after you fix the sprinkler problem!

thanks Sjors..........dobbers huh.........what would you call the little buoys.........dobbettes?   just kidding my friend  :D  glad that you like the progress......still a bit more to do  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

.........dobbers huh.........what would you call the little buoys.........dobbettes?  

Well depending on the type of buoy and its intended function it could also be a "nun" or "can" :D;):P;) and be painted red or green !

thanks for the info Jack..........I've always known them as just buoys.    i'll see if I can show what they look like now.....just a moment  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Incredible details there Popeye.   Looks pretty amazing to me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popeye, the "nun" and "can" are navigational buoys - red, right, returning (from sea). - a wee bit different than the ones you are so expertly crafting and a tad larger as well. A "can" is green and has odd numbers and a "nun" is red and has even numbers. 

so to fill in the blanks with the other buoy poles,  I used flags instead.   I'm not too sure if this is right or not......so any suggestions pointing to the fact would be appreciated.   first,  was to drill holes and insert the flag poles......one is missing because it's on the table being fitted.

post-612-0-05260500-1430523811.jpg

they were a bit yellowed,  so I touched them up with paint

post-612-0-49925500-1430523857.jpg

the vents got the  'black hole'  detail {the one lying down shows what I mean}

post-612-0-11476100-1430523939.jpg

after supper,  the vents were cemented in place.

post-612-0-96613700-1430523994.jpg

post-612-0-96223100-1430524008.jpg

...and the buoys are in place now too

post-612-0-72628300-1430524099.jpg

I'm down to two more aspects and whatever detail I'll add in addition........I already thought of something else that would be neat......has to do with drilling a hole at the top of the podium post.   hopefully,  I can get it done,  so I can post a picture.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Mark,  Greg and Wayne for your comments earlier..........I'm not old Wayne.....I'm  "middle age,  falling over on the other side,  in crisis" {I'm only 58........going on 59  ->George Carlin<-   too funny  :D

thanks for the additional info Jack........I'll have to look them up to see what they look like.   

thanks for the good word and the likes.......jury's still out on the flags.   so far.......they pass muster.....I can leave 'em.   not too tough to change them if they are wrong.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this could be a new phase of insanity for me...........

OK......this assembled quick,   but it was very delicate......the chain broke on me once.   you'd never notice it though.

it all started with this hole I drilled into the podium upright post.

post-612-0-89508800-1430531354.jpg

hard to see.....I know.   I had the idea earlier,  but the copper chain I have here is too large......I would have to drill the holes way too big.   then I thought......I have a container of chain......take a look see.   all I have is this real thin gold chain....it's enough,  but the gold color is what throws me.   I decided to use it anyway.   drilling out the holes in the blocks,  one I fastened an eye bolt,  the other a hook.   setting the blocks up on my helping hands,  I tied thread to one end of the chain and began to thread it through the blocks.   at one point it broke,  but I repaired it with thread {tiny knot}.

post-612-0-59217100-1430531683.jpg

taking it out of the helping hands,  it was kinda flimsy.......the bottom block wanted to twist.  since it is gold chain,  I decided to match the paint with the color of the blocks and paint the chain,  making sure I got some on the blocks.  the chain adhered to the blocks and prevented the twisting. 

post-612-0-97663400-1430531847.jpg

once I let it dry a bit,  a pick was used to separate the chains,  so they follow their paths.  it was then cemented in place, in the hole I had drilled.

post-612-0-80894400-1430531922.jpg

post-612-0-20700900-1430531932.jpg

I tried to get a close up......

post-612-0-43700200-1430531954.jpg

anyway......there's my big idea.......a  'chain fall'.   it can even be called a  'come along',  depending what the application is it's being used for.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very, VERY nice work Popeye!  Just keep adding whatever detail you can fit on this magnificent model, it'll just make her look more like a real working boat.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I agree with Piet Dennis. The chain-fall looks great there, and having tools for heavy-lifting, and doing repairs, would be standard equipment on a fishing boat, I would think.  ;) Sweeet!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I don't know who they are going to 'take away' first, Popeye.  You for doing all this or me for enjoying it so much.  Nice chain fall.  Adds a nice bit of contrast.  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

We're all going to be hauled off....  excellent work and ideas, Popeye.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Denis. ......keep it coming! I'm enjoying every post of yours and I'm a seconder to everyone else's post. Bravo

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Denis. ......keep it coming! I'm enjoying every post of yours and I'm a seconder to everyone else's post. Bravo

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks to you all..and those who hit the like button!  :)     the only flaw is that the chain starts at the bottom and terminates at the top.  but,  with the way it's hanging there,  it's hidden and you can't really tell.   it's just a crazy idea.......glad I was able to pull it off  ;)

thanks again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

good Progress Popeye,

I like those many Details...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Dennis

Absolutely super detailing, especially with buoys, the flags, the chains, blocks, etc. Amazing stuff.

The only that could make this more real, would be to have George Clooney, some fish on deck, a crate or two, a spot of rust and maybe some carelessly coiled ropes strewn about the deck.

You gotta be pretty chuffed with your AG, for sure!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I see you're makin' ready for the end dash ... Buoy, you're doin' great ... first I t'ought you were goin' a fishin' with your rod, see'n' those floats a yours ... but 'aving red through all those floatin' comments ... I finally got it through me thick skull ...

Great chain an' tackle sailor.You do need some sturdy fixings to keep it all steady, and at it's proper place when the goin' gets tough ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Impresive chain work, Denis.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I see shiny chains.........no rusty ones ????  :D  :D  :D

And dobber is float  :D  :D

We use that when we go fishing with a steady rod.......

Sjors

we call those  'bobbers'  Sjors,  if your referring to the ones in our tackle boxes.

I really appreciate all the kind comments and likes........my god...so many  :)   I got my printer problem fixed finally,  so I was able to bring some pictures in to show the folks at work.   my friend from Maine was very impressed with how she looks.   still a bit more to add.......even another sub assembly that I had forgotten about.   another scavenger hunt is in order.

but again,  I want to thank you all for following along.....you've helped to make Andrea what she is  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's a very nice thing to say, Popeye.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976