Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

thanks for the kind comments and the likes!  I've done my best to keep with the Billing's plans,  but I did change thing enough to keep away from the copyright monster.   if one was to purchase this kit and build it though,  I think you would be just as pleased with the outcome.

George:   every kit has at least a couple parts that are not used........some reveal that the kit may also build into another model that the company offers,  some are simply extras.   it's when you start to see big pieces laying around.......that's when you get scared!  :D  :D

Greg:     there is a beauty to these types of builds.   I enjoy doing sailing ships as well,  but it very hard to expand on them,  as can be done with these types of vessels.   the window is very narrow.    with F/V builds.....quite a bit of detail can be added,  even if your doing a replica build.   as with any model,  keeping within the subject is very important.........take it from me,  I've fallen off the edge a few times {one time actually worked}.  

John:     believe it or not,  the plans do not show anything in the way of fish boxes.   some of the models I've seen have what look like crates on board,  rather than crab traps and such.   this vessel's primary catch is swordfish,  and most likely tuna as well.  I have some detail ideas in mind.....haven't given much thought about boxes........I think I'll do a bit more digging  ;)

Greg:     what the Holiday Harbor build is about,  is the replication of hulls from known kits.  the hull that has become the Andrea Gail,  is actually a French fishing vessel,  known as the Boulogne Etaples.   it another Billing's kit........it's supposed to be out of production at this point in time,  but I have seen the kit still being offered on some websites.  there were to be three vessels in that build,  but only two turned out to have valid subjects.   the A.G. was the first vessel I thought of when I built the frame and planked it..........and when I found that the hull dubbed "Larry"  was the odd man out,  I jumped at the opportunity.........I guess you could say  'with both feet'  ;)    I really didn't need to add another build to my roster,  but once I started on her,  I found that I couldn't stop.  usually,  I'll stop at a certain point and turn to another build,  just to keep the others active.   I feel a bit relieved that MSW ,  has been kind enough to let a crazy guy like me,  run rampant on their website,  with all the open logs I've got in the works.   I was trying to be good......my intent was to clear them up and finish them,  before moving on to new ideas.   this build is a good example with how that plan has been working for me  ;)

Carl:   thanks for posting the link........I would have done it  ;)  :)   I really appreciate it!.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

more progress was made yesterday.   I began by doing a bit more with the air horn.....I didn't need to do much.   I hope Piet can see his contribution to the build......and I hope he like it  ;)

post-612-0-81599200-1429456728.jpg

post-612-0-35142600-1429456741.jpg

the next step I took,  was to decide how I was going to show the 'birds'.   I was on the fence about it,  but I did like the idea of showing them partially deployed.   the rigging was terminated with them slightly off the mark.

post-612-0-60396800-1429456883.jpg

the length of chain needed for the counter weights was measured and cut on the starboard side.  the port side pulley was fitted with the chain and the end was cemented in place.  it will have the same runout as the other side.

post-612-0-42841100-1429457102.jpg

basically,  all I did was tie a piece of string to the chain and rig it up through the eye rings on the boom.   it was then threaded through the pulley at the tip.   the weights will need to be made now.

post-612-0-02241600-1429457248.jpg

the fore deck reel control panel still needed to be made.......it starts the same way as the others.   why I didn't make all three at the same time........it's all part of the madness,  my friends!  ;)

post-612-0-36262500-1429457349.jpg

the port side counter weight chain went pretty much the same way as the other.........the thread......up and through the pulley........with a clothes pin on the end,  as a counter weight for the time being

post-612-0-64421000-1429457632.jpg

not that it really matters......but I can add some slack to the chain as it sits still.  to move the model at any given time,  will cause it to lose it,  with the weight on.  but this can be easily put back,  when the model is finally on the shelf. the only reason I mention it,  is the plans show it in this manner.   I have found this problem with other kits.......the anchor with the chain drooping out of the Hawse holes,  only to be sucked in after a time by the weight of the chain within the hull.   I've had this problem with rope as well..........short of cementing the chain or rope as it enters the hull....the next best thing would be zero gravity.   when I did my second build of the Revell Cutty Sark,  I figured a way to defeat this,  and gave function to the windlass.  if this is of interest.....ask me and I'll give you the link to it.

post-612-0-38775900-1429458395.jpg

post-612-0-56194000-1429458412.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the last picture....will be the next area worked on.   a hole was drilled on both sides of the fore deck reel,  and thread was cemented in them.  I did one side at a time.   I'm taking a gamble on how the runout should look.......but I'm going to have it toward the bow side.   I'm hoping it don't hit the upper frame of the trawl rig.

post-612-0-63982600-1429458711.jpg

the lengths of small dowel for the buoys were cut......there will be six of them.   these are 1" beads........I'm beginning to think that they are too long.   I may try to cut a small section out and make them shorter.....I'll have to see what they will look like.

post-612-0-03785400-1429458891.jpg

both sides of the fore deck reel have the thread on now

post-612-0-65905400-1429458965.jpg

looking at the picture above,  you may notice the eye bolts on the stern bulwark posts.  they are white,  and may be hard to see.   the same goes for the eye bolts on the top bar of the aft section.   I removed those blocks under the gangway,  and will relocate them here.   the short pieces of chain that they were suspended from were too long anyway.

post-612-0-38718000-1429459358.jpg

here is the angle in which I settled on for the 'birds'.

post-612-0-19042800-1429459439.jpg

it's gonna need a wide berth........but I like it this way.   the progress with the third control panel is at this stage,  at the moment.   almost ready for sanding....I've done some already.

post-612-0-67581400-1429459621.jpg

one of the buoy poles has a bead on it..........the first step in figuring how to assemble them.   I believe them to be plastic,  so making them shorter should be easier.   if it doesn't work,  I can get them in a shorter size........but if I can make 'em work........all the better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks George....and crackers for the like  ;)     mechanics in functionality....a great concept to show in a build.   textures of wood and pattern is another.  no matter what ship your modeling,  just adding in basic detail,  can really make a build come alive.  there are many here,  that have done just that.  I could list them.........but I don't think there's enough ink in my key board  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just one amazing thing after another.  Can't wait to see the birds.

I am, however, a little fuzzy on the 'zero gravity' concept.  But with you at the helm, anything is possible!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Realy looking good.  Your almost there.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Augie...you don't see the birds?  yesterday,  one of them tried to poke me a third nostril  :D  :D     as for the zero gravity thing....usually ship model instructions have you running the anchor chain from one Hawse hole to the other.   it's the excess chain running through the hull that is the problem maker.

gravity seems to pull on the chain,  sucking the chain back into the model.......my first Cutty build was notorious for this happening.  when I did the second build,  I thought about how to thwart it from happening again,  and I came up with this solution.   this can probably be done to other types of ships as well.

http://seymore-thecuttysark-abuildlog.blogspot.com/2010/09/cutty-sark-windlass-modification.html

thank to you also Bob and Carl for your kind word.......thanks as well to all those who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am amazed by details you put on Her ... what a complex structure ..

What a beautifull build

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thank you very much Nenad...........to you as well John  :)

I hope I'm getting the mechanics right....with the pictures I've got,  it's hard to see everything  ;)

more to come  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The details just keep adding up and making this even more impressive, Popeye.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye, marvelous work my friend.  I see the air horn!  Like it?  That's not the word for it - - I LOVE it, it's looking great.

Came back today from Fayetteville and there were a few similar models, nice but naked compared to your ship!  I'll post a pic of them tomorrow so everyone can see what a difference it makes to a model when everything is put on the model that can be put on a model. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Dennis

I'm enjoying reading your log on Larry, curly and moe. Doing 3 at once is toooooo hard for me, well done. I'm at page 10 atm, and I'm guessing which hull is going to be Andrea Gail. I assume it's Larry!

Well I thought you would be finished a long time ago, but you are adding more and more details. Amazzzzzzzzing is all I can say.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thank you Piet........I'm so glad you like it  :)    it's your contribution to the build.   I enjoy reading suggestions that folks have.....if I can do them and it fits the concept......I do look into it.  I think it's a wonderful thing,  when your building a model such as this,  and you can involve folks who are looking in.  if you have pictures......by all means,  post them please!  I'd be honored.......man!  I wish I could have been there!  too bad that my commitments stood in the way,  it would have been great to meet you and Dave....and of course,  everyone else who attended from the site.  seeing the newscast and hearing your voices,  brought me closer to knowing you two so much more.  I'm even happier now,  that I was able to comply with your suggestion.......much better than that air filter canister look'in thing I started with  ;)  :D

gee Greg....I can't tell you.......it would be a spoiler  :D  :D   it's tucked somewhere in the middle.......I did more on the caroler's boat after I made the decision to nix the third boat.   it was slated to be the skater's boat.....I was going to have an ice rink in the middle of the deck.  an observation was made,  that one would have to be like a 'Peggy Flemming' to be able to skate on a pitching boat........that was all I needed to hear.   I wasn't put out by the comment......it was logic.  the other two boats had a good solid subject.........but the third boat's stern was hanging in the breeze,  and I couldn't come up with a subject for her.  so,  the build turned into a dual build, and the third boat became what you see today.   I think the modifications I had to make to the hull are interesting........cutting away a small part,  and then adding the raised bow and fore deck....the rest is here in this log.  still a bit more to go  :)

I appreciate you taking the time ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Denis,

I saw your hello on Mark's Log. So I thought I'd say hello to you here on yours. Been very busy Buddy. It took me 2 months to finally read through your log here. Just not visiting too much. When I do can't stay on line too long. Your Trawler Looks great and man they can get complicated with all they have on deck. Looks great. Trying to get my garage shop built. Spending $$$ lots on the shop. But work takes it toll on me. At work right now and taking a break. I'm the emergency on call. When I go home today it will be 25.5 hrs straight.

SO BE WARNED DENIS I SHALL RETURN. IT'S GETTING CLOSER. TAKE CARE MY FRIEND.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

thanks Sjors........don't know what the IRL stands for.......but I hope it's good  ;)  :D

here's just a small update from yesterday....I was hoping to post it earlier,  but I got side tracked  ;)   I put a couple coats on the control panel,  before I realized that I didn't put an access panel on the back.

post-612-0-82697500-1429565925.jpg

the lines for the fore deck reel was left all night with clothes pins hanging to get the memory out of the thread.  it was cemented in place in the AM.

post-612-0-54553100-1429566028.jpg

I ran into problems with the lines rubbing on the trawl frame......tried different ways to adjust it.  I settled on the lines passing behind the bottom frame,  and then through the top pulleys under the gangway.   moving the other two blocks to the aft top bar was a good idea.

post-612-0-56543200-1429566256.jpg

post-612-0-36968200-1429566267.jpg

post-612-0-92897200-1429566277.jpg

to really change this around,  I would have to remove the reel......and to be honest,  I'm not too keen on seeing what the outcome would be.  I made up a couple of hooks to terminate these lines on the eye bolts on the aft sides of the stern bulwarks.  I hope to have more to report tomorrow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'll look forward in seeing your come back Mario.  it will be good to see your work again  ;)

thanks George.  I'm not happy with the fore deck reel........the lines still rub on the trawl frame.  I tried a light approach in removing it already.  I only used white glue on it..........and it would not budge!   I don't want to cause any damage........I don't do too many redoes.   I wish I could simply rewind them......but there is so much on there,  that it would take forever.

....calling Dr. Howard,  Dr. Fine,  Dr. Howard!   .........calling Dr. Howard,  Dr. Fine,  Dr. Howard! :huh:

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

going back to the table....this time I cupped it with two fingers.   it popped off.......with a slightly undesirable effect.

post-612-0-83845100-1429586136.jpg

minor damage........easy to repair!   now to reverse the runout!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

all ready did...........done...........and back on the deck!  the reel was re-spooled as well.   I ended up still having to pass it over the lower bars of the  'X'   but now it doesn't rub any of the other bars.   it looks close though,  but it's better than it was.    now I go to bed a happy camper  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

...glad you got things back under control. I must say, the overhead shots of the trawl rig all rigged up is amazing. She looks the part, that's for sure.

I was also wondering what "IRL" meant too, but now I think it means "In Real Life". Could be wrong, though...

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I knew it, when I read it about the reel, I just knew it ... you wouldn't stop!!! You can't ... it naggs, and you start to fret and won't be able to sleep, so you just did a rare redo ... you couldn't resist and when the reel didn't come off ... you just had to try ... now I'm curious ... where are those last pictures ... those pictures of a redone reel ..? Knowing I need to wait all day ... just to get a glimpse ... the suspence is killing me ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...