Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi Hyposphagma

Thanks for the tip! As I said to Igor a few posts ago, it's amazing how much knowledge there is on the Forum! Not only did I not know that Alclad existed, but the BMF you recommend is also new to me. I think I'll definitely keep the BMF in mind for some later models that I have in mind because i can definitely use it, that's for sure.

My only thoughts with Rainbow's mast and boom is that they're so fine and fiddly that applying a adhesive foil may be a recipe for disaster... Especially knowing my klutzy fingers!!! I'll probably stuff it up. Maybe I'd be safer trying the Mercedes Benz paint?

Thanks once again!

Cheers

Patrick

Especially knowing my klutzy fingers!!!

You're kidding me right?......anyone who can do the amazingly tiny work that you do cannot possibly claim to have such fingers.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the Likes and comments, all of which are greatly appreciated!

The latest update is that I've had a go at the low foot rail that goes around the deck. On the real ship, the rail is low; perfectly designed for the crew to wedge/brace their feet against in a heeling / pitching deck. Given the tiny scale of my ship, I had to compromise (of course) as I couldn't make it exactly like the real railing, but at least I gave it a go!

Hope you enjoy the photos. All the best for the weekend and for those who celebrate Easter.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-46233000-1427984599_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90287400-1427984616_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-65250000-1427984636_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-45116900-1427984657_thumb.jpg

so much packed in a small frame..........looks super!   the rails fit the bill!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Igor

Many thanks! That's a good question you've raised, because I'm actually not sure of the diameter of the wire. I've included a photo of the reel, which, as you'll see, doesn't have the size marked on the label!! Oh well....it does the trick, though.

Have a great weekend and all the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-99604900-1427995737_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick 

You are building an amazing model, the amount of detail is astonishing!

The reel has a marking  that looks like 28 g so maybe 0.32 mm?

OK, Patrick. I use the similar wire from 0,15 to 0,4 mm, but diameter is specified on coils . For holders of a rail I try to take thinner wire and for production of a ring I use a boring bit of suitable diameter.

post-17539-0-81204000-1427996695_thumb.jpg

Best Regards!

Igor.

P.S. 7$ for coil?!?!?

P.P.S. Now I have two weeks of holidays! I was visiting Murmansk within 3 days.

Hi Patrick 

You are building an amazing model, the amount of detail is astonishing!

The reel has a marking  that looks like 28 g so maybe 0.32 mm?

Hi Vaddoc

Ahh!  Is that what that meant???  I looked at it and didn't know what it meant, so I never put two and two together!  But, now that you say that, you're most likely right. 

Thanks and all the best.

Patrick

Patrick, you can try to look at it here, for example - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/0-2-50M-Roll-1Roll-lots-Mixed-Color-Copper-Wires-Beading-Wire-DIY-Jewelry-Findings-Brass/335131_32308449764.html

The price much lower and seems with free shipping.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Patrick your rail looks perfect and to scale.  How did you straighten it out?  Just stretch it or did you roll it?

David B

Hi David. Thanks for your compliments. The wire was very soft and flexible. Having said so, I just ran it through my thumb and forefinger to ensure that there were no kinks and threaded it through the eye bolts in the deck. Thankfully, the eye bolts were just large enough to allow the wire to pass smoothly through without binding or kinking. Hope this makes sense!

Hi Igor. I see it, but I simply DON'T believe it!!! That is amazing. I couldn't even do the curved handle, let alone shape the body of the 'auld mug' the way you have! But you make it look so easy.

You, sir, are masterful!!

Well done

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hey Patrick, at the scale you are working with to do the foot rail in scale is near impossible but what you have done is sheer magic!

Now, if you stretch that brass wire it'll make it thinner and also work-hardens it as well as pulling any kinks out.  I used 28 gauge brass wire on my O19 sub for antenna wire and used that method with great success.  It's 0.4 mm and actually a little too thick but if you can buy the thinnest brass wire and then stretch it you'll come closer to your scale.

However, it's as you said, it's the idea that counts and I wouldn't loose any hairs over it.

Thanks Igor for the URL, it may come in handy for the future.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet

Thanks for the tip about the wire, and I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next time. In fact, I'm going to order some wire from Igor's source as well. There's no harm in stocking up.

All the best for your trip to Fayetville and the O19.

Cheers and thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Here is "Gauge to Inches to Millimeters Conversion Table" - http://www.kitco.com/jewelry/gauge-inch-mm.html

By the way there is a very simple way to straighten the wire. You can fix one end of the wire and strongly tug the other end. The wire will be direct. But very thin wire may break.

Best Regards!

Igor

I'm starting to think in that direction as well........I usually buy my wire in packs at the hobby store.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. Greatly appreciated!

The latest update and photos shows that I've made some progress with the bit I hate the most....rigging.

Some of the deck hardware, eg blocks, etc have been installed and I've made some attempts to run some rigging through them in order to see how they'll all work. The bendy mast has also been put in, albeit it may look too bendy, but don't worry, the back stay tension can be adjusted. It's all temporary at the moment.

I've also had a go at doing the railings (on one side of the ship only), at this stage. I'll do the other side later on.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-72918800-1428162847_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-30619500-1428162864_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-36974400-1428162877_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-26396800-1428162894_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-14612500-1428162910_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40205100-1428162927_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-27431400-1428162942_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21865800-1428162958_thumb.jpg

Until you see the mast you forget how much sail these J boats carried.  Looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I'm starting to think in that direction as well........I usually buy my wire in packs at the hobby store.

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I so do too. But I go to a hobby shop for beadwork to buy the wire.Yes, I so do too. But I go to a hobby shop for beadwork to buy the wire. :)

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi everyone, especially those who hit the Like button!

Igor- thanks. Progress is kicking along nicely, that's for sure.

Bob- you're right about the huge sail area of the J's. Nothing short of amazing, especially when you consider how narrowly beamed these ships are. I guess that's why they need such deep keels to counteract their huge sail areas.

As for the colour of the mast and boom, I did lighten the Aluminium to test to see if it was suitable. It doesn't look too bad now, although, the photos make it appear still a bit darker than in real life. That doesn't mean that I'm not looking at other alternatives, though. For instance, yesterday, (Saturday) I went to Mercedes Benz to look at their paint selection. They only had Iridium Silver (no way would that look good), or Mountain Grey. I'm quite familiar with the Mountain Grey colour because my previous car was in that colour. It was way too dark! I then went to the Hobby Shop and bought a Light Grey paint. I'll experiment with that paint later to see if it looks better. If not, I may just stick with the lightened Aluminium colour. Decisions...decisions...decisions!!!

Anyhow, gave a great day, everyone!!!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

A quick update.  Before the rigging commences proper, I needed to add a few of the last details whilst access to the deck is still possible.  These are, the rear deck hatch (shown in the open position), the foredeck hatch to the focsle (Bob if you're reading this, I finally found the hatch!) and the life raft.  The life raft is the funny white rectangle with black lines on it which is located immediately behind the skylight on the mid-deck.  

Finally, on the mast, I also added the radar dome.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-93589600-1428243316_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-18768300-1428243344_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-67772700-1428243354_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-84102600-1428243368_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-12569100-1428243379_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-71707500-1428243390_thumb.jpg

Hi Lawrence

Thanks for your compliments and question regarding the sails. I usually don't put sails on my ships, but for this one I will be. Igor is kindly sending me some material to use for the sails. I can only hope I can do him justice by not stuffing them up!!!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Patrick
Another my solution ;)

If you have a problem with sail's material you can try with the paper which can find in cloth or shoe boxes, not the exclusive ones with monograms, but simply ones without anything.
That paper is thin but strong and perfectly imitate sail material in small scales.
Just for indication here is my Fly fish 1/200

post-1426-0-65712000-1428250823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leo-zd