Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi everyone

A quick update.  Before the rigging commences proper, I needed to add a few of the last details whilst access to the deck is still possible.  These are, the rear deck hatch (shown in the open position), the foredeck hatch to the focsle (Bob if you're reading this, I finally found the hatch!) and the life raft.  The life raft is the funny white rectangle with black lines on it which is located immediately behind the skylight on the mid-deck.  

Finally, on the mast, I also added the radar dome.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick,

so many fine and amazing details in this mini scale, it realy takes some time to let the eyes wander over your pics to identify all the fitting out below deck.....

Great work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Patrick

Another my solution ;)

If you have a problem with sail's material you can try with the paper which can find in cloth or shoe boxes, not the exclusive ones with monograms, but simply ones without anything.

That paper is thin but strong and perfectly imitate sail material in small scales.

Just for indication here is my Fly fish 1/200

Hi Leo-zd,

Great advice! How could I forget about this kind of paper? How did you do the seams? It's like a thread with glue.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Edited by IgorSky

Yep... if the sail is too small I use to put just a half of seams on one side (for ex. the 1,3,5...) and the other half on the other side (2,4,6..) as the paper is partially transparent it's ok.

Hello everyone, especially thanks to Lawrence, Nils, Leo-zd and Igor and those who hit the Like button!

Nils, thanks for your comments about the interior details. I really enjoyed doing it and the fact that people such as yourself and others on this Forum like it, is deeply satisfying for me.

Leo and Igor - thanks for the tips about the sails and sail making techniques. Your Flying Fish model is superb! I'm especially curious as how to best replicate the multi-faceted geometric panels which are so characteristic of modern racing sails such as Rainbow's (see photo below).

Do you think drawing them in lightly with a pencil would be ok? If not, what other advice/tips could you suggest?

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-01578000-1428273754_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

I think so, on the simple junctions only draw the line and on the angles and on the boards attach one or more peaces in dimension of reinforcements. You can use a paper glue in stick.

Hi Leo

Thanks. I'll give it a go and hopefully it'll look good. The challenge will be to make the lines appear faint enough to be realistic and not too dark that they stand out too much. Trial and error, I guess!

Thanks once again.

Patrick

Cheers and thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Just catching up Patrick, the amount of detail in the model is amazing, the mast and rigging are coming together well I see.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Incredible work Patrick, she's looking great 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Me again :P
For lines, look in artistic shops but also in comercial centers the artistic colour pencils (I hope I wrote and explain right) thid pencils are a bit different of normal colour pencil that is in use at school, it's a bit bigger and the color substance is a bit greasy, it's  perfect for that works but also for something that plastic modellers call "dry brush" especially as this colors came in tonality of gold, bras, chrome, silver, gunmetal and similar, and in usually tonalities

Hi Leo

Many thanks for the info on the pencils. What colour would you think is best to use? Maybe a grey'ish colour? Black would stand out too much, I'd think?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Patrick

Colored pencils may work - probably a light gray. You could also look into artist's drawing pencils. They come in different 'hardnesses' - your typical #2 office pencil is hardness 'HB'; higher letters (F, H) are harder (with increasing numeric serial indicating increasing hardness - 2H, 3H, 4H, etc), and lower letters with increasing numbers (B, 2B) are softer. HB is in the middle. 

The harder the graphite core, the lighter the resultant line (less graphite is deposited). So, you could get a couple of the harder variety of drawing pencils, and fake in the seams and geometry that way. And, different hardnesses = subtly different 'shades of gray' that may provide a means of getting those different shades of geometry seen in the picture. But I think you could pull it off without overpowering or 'breaking the fourth wall' of the scale, so to speak.

An example of a package of pencils like i'm describing can be found here: http://www.michaels.com/derwent-graphic-pencil-set-of-12-hard/10169872.html#start=29. I'm sure you can get a similar type product wherever you are located. And, you can likely buy them one-off if you only need 3 or so to get a good range of shades of gray. 

The other nice thing is that the harder cores stay sharp longer, so you don't need to sharpen as often. They can be made quite sharp too - sharper than you can get (operationally) with a normal pencil or colored pencil (if you make either of those that sharp, the tip crumbles and creates a mess of graphite dust (or wax, in the case of colored pencils) as soon as you touch it to paper.)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Good advice by Ben.  I'm also an artist and certified draftsman, among many other things, and suggest to pick one each between 4H and 2B.  Start out with the 2H first on a pice of scrap and see how it looks.  The softer pencils can be used for extra accents whenever or wherever needed.  Just keep the points sharp.  I have used that method on both my sloop models with satisfying results.

If you want to try colored pencils then my choice will be Prismacolor Veithin, they are harder then the regular Prismacolor artists pencils with excellent light vastness.  A dark grey might work great.  I use these for fine detail work like hair and nerve lines in flowers and leaves.

Steadler is another good artists color pencil that holds a point quite well.   I have four different makes of artists color pencils and all are rated high in color fastness.  BTW, I am a member of the Colored Pencil Society Of America and active in a local chapter in Palm Coast, FL.

For a model like you are building, which is a jewel, a little patience in selecting "tools" for the sail lines is important and many trials before you can actually make the sails.  Good luck with it.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

gee.......you know that sparked an idea.   Leo said the paper is thin.......make two sails exactly the same size.    lay the first one on a board and with pins and thread {very small thread} ,  starting at a pinnacle at the top,  span the thread out to simulate the pleats,  over the sail.  use a spray bottle with diluted white glue and spray {atomize}over the sail and thread {lightly......not saturated}.  then lay the other sail directly over it and press with a roller of sorts {or a long enough piece of large dowel.  it will sandwich the thread between the layers and create the pleats.....puffed out a tiny bit.  if you use black thread,  it will show through the material and give you the color you desire.   you could even get away with using tracing paper,  but if not,  I guess your going to need to go on a shoe buying expedition  ;)

nice........now I think we started him off on a shoe fetish  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I hope it works.........I've never tried it.  Leo has a neat idea there.......I think it can be expanded on.  you go first......I'll cover you  {famous last words}  :D  :D

they would be very close to scale too!   that's the cool part  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yep, thanks Dennis.  I'll experiment with all the methods put forward here, whilst I await Igor's sail material to arrive.  Hopefully by that time I'll have a pretty good idea what will work and what won't work  Also,  I'll have the shapes and measurements of the sails worked out.  

Incidentally, earlier tonight I was pondering your advice and I thought it wouldn't do any ahrm to at least make a tentative start on experimenting with the sails, etc.  So, I roughly cut out the genoa on normal A4 paper and drew in the patterns on the sail.  When I held it up against Rainbow's mast, I thought wow, that really does look good {even though it was only a temporary mock up of the sail},

Of course, having done that now, I really can't wait to do the final versions, incorporating as many ideas as possible from yourself, Igor, Piet and Leo and Ben.

Cheers and thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

you go first......I'll cover you  {famous last words}

:D :D :D

Great ideas for the thin sails and thanks for the info on the coloured pencils Piet

Patrick I am looking forward to seeing how the sails turn out, something I have been holding off myself for quite some time on my little cutter.

Incidentally i was thinking about the very fine wrapping on some #36 gauge wire that I have last night, when I get out to the shop today i will measure it I think it is extremely fine.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks, Michael.

Many thanks. I hope I can make it work. If I succeed, then, I probably won't hesitate doing sails for my future models.

Incidentally, the wrapping paper that you're referring to..is that for your cutter's sails? If so, I'll definitely look forward to seeing your updates.

All the best

Patrick

Hi Patrick, the wrapping I was referring to was a cotton like wrapping, it had no integrity after taking it off the wire . I then looked at some polyester thread and pulled a strand out of it and it is .01 mm, I have some black polyester so tomorrow I will measure a strand from it .

this picture shows the strand that just slipped through the bench micrometer that is set up with 100ths of a millimeter

post-202-0-68804200-1428556804_thumb.jpg

The colour is too light so some black thread would work well I think, and yes it would be for the rigging on the 1/500 cutter.

Michael

either that.........raid your sister's hair brush!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi everyone and thanks especially for all your Advice, Likes and compliments.

I've progressed a little bit on the rigging (my favourite bit...not!!). The latest photos are provided below. Admittedly, the rigging looks really messy at the moment because it's all pretty much temporary. Still lots of work to go.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-51253500-1428672031_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-97055800-1428672043_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-51150600-1428672057_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85852500-1428672072_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93303300-1428672086_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-68338300-1428672100_thumb.jpg

Ah she's getting dressed up.  What a beauty she is becoming.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks about right, scale wise Patric.  I think you have nailed it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi everyone, especially Piet, Bob and Igor and everyone else that 'Liked' Rainbow's progress so far.

Well, tonight a major milestone has been reached!  Earlier today I went to the local Art Supplies store.  I showed them all the info and advice that I received from Igor, Leo-zd, Row, Piet, Dennis, Michael, etc about the coloured pencils.  They agreed that the 6H graphite pencil was indeed the best to use for the lines and the 2B graphite was best for the shading.  I was glad and promptly bought the pencils.  I also bought some drafting film to draw the templates for the sails.

A short while ago, using the graphite pencils, I drew the templates of the sails onto the drafting film.  The results are shown in the photos.  Doesn't look too bad, I must admit.  

I'm still eagerly awaiting Igor's packing film, but in the meantime, at least I've got the temporary templates done.  I'll still experiment with Leo-zd's and Dennis' methods in the meantime. 

Anyhow, here're the photos of the temporary templates.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-10579900-1428759321_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-23400700-1428759328_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-96588700-1428759333_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-41924000-1428759341_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-04398400-1428759350_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-56458300-1428759356_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-78477500-1428759363_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-61275400-1428759371_thumb.jpg