Rainbow by Omega1234 - FINISHED - J-Class Racing Yacht

beautifuly built Patrick,

the sail reinfoircements look good, (quite difficult Task in that scale)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

You've built an excellent boat.  She'll win the cup for sure.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hello Patrick, what more can I say, she is a beauty!! :) :) Perfect job on the sails!! I love it....

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Absolutely stunning. Enough said...

Actually Patrick, this has been an amazing build, much learnt by all who have followed and I thank you for sharing 'Rainbow' with us.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Very nicely done Patrick.  Those reinforcements are perfect and that at that small scale - fantastic!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Patrick

I can't believe how much details you have put in the boat and the sails at that scale!

Tell us the truth, you have a huge giant hands 10 times the size of a normal hand to hold your boat. That is the only way I can believe you can put that details into your build.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of your Likes and comments, with special thanks to Nils, Igor, Bob, Dimitris, Row, Marty, Piet, David and Greg for their comments.

Rainbow has been an absolute joy to build and the encouragement and advice received from you guys is fantastic. Sadly, I'm getting close to the end of the build, but, the good thing is that I'll be able to re-start my next model, Symphony (see link in my signature block below).

Marty - thanks for asking about a display case specifically for a Rainbow. I may not actually do a case for her, because I have a large, 6 foot tall lockable display cabinet where my other miniature models are stored and Rainbow will probably take pride of place on the top shelf.

Cheers and all the very best!

Patrick

Time to play "catch up" on some of my favorite builds Patrick. My goodness! It is hard to imagine the scale of your racing yacht until you showed the photo of it in your hand. Amazingly fine job..... Crazy detail at that scale. Way to go mate.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking forward to "Symphony" patrick.  I have throughly enjoyed your build of "rainbow" and I'm sure that Symphony will turn out as great if not greater - - - if that's even possible.  Skills seem to improve with each successive model.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi everyone!

A big thank you to everyone who has shared in Rainbow's journey! Thanks for all your comments, feedback, advice and, of course, the Likes! Piet, Dave, Mike and Elia - a special thanks to you guys for your last comments.

Well, I can safely say that Rainbow is about 99% finished. I just need to do some touching up to the hull's paint job, as well a bit more cleaning up of the rigging, but essentially, she's finished. The mainsail has been attached to the mast. The genoa is set and the port side railing has been done.

Here're the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-25049600-1430139666_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90574000-1430139686_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17854500-1430139701_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21476000-1430139727_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-75587700-1430139740_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-77925300-1430139763_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-54070700-1430139778_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-24735500-1430139793_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58695400-1430139807_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17037600-1430139828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

I echo the above comments Patrick, and especially with Elia's comment...Congrats my friend, she is amazing little model!! :pirate41:

Best regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Beautiful work, Patrick.  I have great respect for your skill and execution on this and your other similar models.  Amazin,g tiny scale work.

Congratulations!

I'll be on board watching your next little 'Faberge' sail boat.  :)

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

She's a fine lady.  And watching this build has been a great journey.   Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks Sweet Patrick, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Don't celebrate with a small bottle of champagne.  Make it a big one... save the small stuff for the models. :)

Beautiful, Patrick. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Patrick, your model is a work of art.  Everytime I see it and other miniatures I say god has blessed you with delicate fingers, steady hands, good eyesight and a ton of patience.  Makes me want to throw my hat into the ring.  

David B

Agree with all above - congratulations; beautiful work!

~Ben

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Patrick,

from beginning of construction of the beautiful models Rainbow you gave a high level of precision craftsmanship.

The result is visible and you have a beautiful model, my compliments and congratulations.

Regards, Matija.

Congratulations on a most beautiful model.  What a treasure!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Patrick.

Dito to all comments. I still can't fathom how well you can do the details on that scale! It's mind boggling!

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi everyone, especially Greg, Piet, Marty, Matija, Vaddoc, Ben, David, Mark, Pete, Bob, Elia, Carl, Dimitris and Igor

Wow and double wow! Thank you for all of your great comments and feedback about Rainbow. It means a lot to me to know that you guys like my work!!

Greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234