Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi everyone and thanks for your Likes, especially Mike, Anton, Bob, Michael, Nick, Matija, Mark and Piet for all your comments, advice and compliments.

I'm a much happier boy tonight!!!!  I made sure that I applied the masking tape and pressed it down firmly this time and it seemed to work far better.  There is only a little bit of bleeding which can be easily dealt with.

More importantly, the paint finish is smooth and shiny.  I've tried to show how good the gloss looks in the photos below.  I'm not sure if the camera has picked up the reflections bouncing off the gleaming hull well enough; but you get the idea.  

Up on the deck, I've also added the gloss black cap rail, which highlights the slim and streamlined shape of the hull when viewed from above.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-39070200-1426594044_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15788600-1426594051_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-16861000-1426594057_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-45125900-1426594065_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-83749000-1426594071_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90490100-1426594077_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-00852500-1426594084_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-43448800-1426594089_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90243400-1426594096_thumb.jpg

Reflecting on the pictures, looks like you nailed it.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

We can see you in that one stern shot.  Very good gloss.

Saw an add for Frog tape where they said after pressing the tape down coat the edges with our special anti bleed fluid. Sounds familiar.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Patrick, I have made it half way thru this build ( trying to catch up on all the build logs ) Beautiful work , as always

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

That's one mighty fine looking jewel Patrick!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

super progress.........paint work looks great!  that's quite a gloss you got there.......evidence of a really smooth hull    *nice* !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi everyone

Many, many thanks to everyone for all your comments, Likes and encouragement!  

Over the past few days, Rainbow has gained a few things.  Firstly a rudder, then her auxiliary motor's propeller and most importantly, a brand spanking new mast and boom!!!!

The mast and boom, of course need heaps of work before they look the part, but it's a start.  

I hope you enjoy the photos below.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-47720300-1426862606_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72733100-1426862617_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-63495400-1426862623_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-31230000-1426862631_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-78460700-1426862638_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58551300-1426862645_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-41948800-1426862652_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-60696600-1426862659_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-75801700-1426862665_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-23844300-1426862696_thumb.jpg

holy cow!  she's looking awesome Patrick  ;)   how far does the mast root go down?  still can't get over the shine.....what paint is that?  I have some of the Billing's paint {I usually use Model Master},  and the black gives equally a good shine.  I did Keaton's Batmobile a while ago.......and I ended up having to dull the shine  :D  :D   not to worry.......just saying that there are some things in this world that don't deserve a shine as what you've done.....it's really nice  :)   did you use an airbrush?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Dennis

Thanks!  The mast goes all the way through the deck onto the keel; a distance of about 1.5 cms approximately.  I must admit that the mast looks awfully tall, even for a J Class yacht, but I've checked and I'm satisfied that it is to scale.  Perhaps, once the rigging's in place, it won't look so tall.

As for the paint, it's Humbrol Gloss Black which has been applied by hand, using a brush.  I've never used an air brush before.  I have been tempted to buy one a few times, but I've never actually gone ahead and done it.  As with any paint job, the secret's in the prep-work. In Rainbow's case, this involved lots of filling and sanding and swearing before the surface came good.  

I'm glad you liked the paint job, because the real boat has a wonderful mirror-like black gloss finish, which I was determined to replicate here.

All the best and thanks once again!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Igor

Thanks for the compliments about my updates.  I do the same with your Atlantic log and a number of other build logs as well!

The mast is made from three Evergreen plastic strips which I laminated together to form a thick strip.  I then proceeded to shape it into the design that you see now.  The cross-spreaders are just thin strips of plastic card which I've cut to shape.  

Tomorrow, I'll need to paint the mast and boom with a flat/semi-gloss silver colour to match the mast's colour of the actual boat seen in the photos.

I hope this helps.

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks Patrick,

I sometimes use needles from a syringe when I need thin tubes. They can be different diameter from 0,3 mm and more. And through them it is possible to stretch a thread if it is necessary.

Are you going to do sails or only the mast and the rigging?

Best Regards!

Igor.

Looking Good Patrick , Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Igor

Thanks.  I am actually tossing up about doing the sails.  If I do, I have to figure out how to make them look realistic.  The hardest thing is  how to replicate the geometric patterns of the sail panels that are so characteristic of these modern sails.  

Perhaps I could draw them in using a ruler and light pencil. But then, what paper/cloth should I use?

Any ideas???

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Igor

Thanks.  I am actually tossing up about doing the sails.  If I do, I have to figure out how to make them look realistic.  The hardest thing is  how to replicate the geometric patterns of the sail panels that are so characteristic of these modern sails.  

Perhaps I could draw them in using a ruler and light pencil. But then, what paper/cloth should I use?

Any ideas???

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I have a quantity of a packing film of white color. I am not sure, but perhaps you could use it for sails. On modern yachts of a sail too from synthetic fabric. It has an opaque matt surface and strong. I think, to you there will be enough 30 x 30 cm. I can send it the letter in an envelope to you.

Best Regards1

Igor.

Hi Igor

Thanks for the offer, but I'd hate to put you to that much trouble. I'm still unsure if I'll even attempt to do the sails, but If I do, I probably could find something suitable locally. I think someone on the Forum suggested resume paper would be a good alternative and that could be obtained locally here..

Thanks for the offer, though!

All the best

Patrick

sails would look sweeeeeeet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your Likes, comments and compliments.

Tonight, I had a go at the ship's wheel and the tiny handrails above the main cabin's roof. I hope the photos can show these details clearly enough, but anyhow, here they are.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-44404900-1426946862_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02432600-1426946876_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40329300-1426946892_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-71422900-1426946905_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-32600400-1426946918_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90658900-1426946938_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-91225600-1426946954_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-35371000-1426946968_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33205500-1426946986_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-05530800-1426946999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Absolutely stunning Patrick - the handrails really do look incredible, I've seen so many supposedly professionally built scale models where they've looked so wrong; to achieve the right look is testament to your skills as a model maker.

Congratulations!

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

If you left them off nobody would know, but it's those little details that people hardly notice that make them say, "WOW!" when they see the whole model.  She's looking great.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Bob, Igor and Row (Twister) and everyone who hit the Like button.

Thank you for comments. Row, that's high praise indeed, but I'm just glad that I was able to do the handrails without them disappearing onto the floor, never to be found again. The same with the ship's wheel...except that it disappeared into the hull and I had to tip the hull upside down and shake it a few times before it went flying out! I caught it just in time.

Bob and Igor. You're both right about these sort of tiny details being the things that make the difference. I felt the same way when I saw the stove and vinyl seats in your Friendship sloop (Bob) and Igor's anchor windlass for the Atlantic. Why do we do them? I guess, because if we never tried to do them, we'd be forever wondering if it was possible to make them.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Very Nice work Patrick, shes looking fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

I guess, because if we never tried to do them, we'd be forever wondering if it was possible to make them.

All the best!

Patrick

That says it all.

Bob

Patrick, Rainbow is wonderful, excellent color you made..... as well as other work :D

Regards, Matija.