Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi Kees, Mike, Matija, Bob, Pete, Igor and everyone else for their Likes and support.

Well, tonight, I completed Rainbow's winch drums. On the real ship, these must certainly be pretty impressive pieces of machinery, capable of hauling the sheets in and letting them out. On my model, the best I could do is to shape some Aluminium rod to make them as close as possible to the full sized winches. However, at only 1.5 mm high, trying to make them exactly like the real thing is pretty difficult.

Never the less, I tried and I think they look alright. The photos below show these winch drums dotted around the deck.

Hope you enjoy them.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-20406400-1427200406_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40689000-1427200419_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-06485500-1427200434_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-82976500-1427200448_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-88881400-1427200462_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-03327300-1427200477_thumb.jpg

Hi Igor

I understand how you must feel because I was dreading making the winches too. I'd imagine you'd have a fair few to do as well. Perhaps, at your scale, maybe all you can do is put a thin piece of wire in the appropriate positions and let the viewer's eye trick them into thinking they're the real thing.

There are probably a few other ways that you could do them, but I'm sure that whatever method you choose, they'll turn out great.

Cheers

Patrick

I understand how you must feel because I was dreading making the winches too. I'd imagine you'd have a fair few to do as well. Perhaps, at your scale, maybe all you can do is put a thin piece of wire in the appropriate positions and let the viewer's eye trick them into thinking they're the real thing.

Thanks Patrick,

Do you used the lathe for production of winches?

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Igor

No, I just twisted the rod between my thumb and fore finger against a small file. Slow, but it works for me.

You'd probably be able to do better with the new lathe (envy!) you've bought; but for me, doing it by hand works ok.

Cheers

Patrick

very nice updates Patrick.........the winches will look great when seen in application ;)   that,  I think id the big difference between kit and scratch.......kits yield a bare bones build with a little added detail,  but the scratch builder sees so much more.  if the detail can be seen with the naked eye,  then it can be added.......and makes the build more more appealing.   very nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

No, I just twisted the rod between my thumb and fore finger against a small file. Slow, but it works for me.

What means "small file"? Is it the file with very small notch? I used Proxxon for production of parts of my anchor winch. But teeths of my files were too rough for this purpose.

You'd probably be able to do better with the new lathe (envy!) you've bought; but for me, doing it by hand works ok.

I didn't try to use my lathe since it is necessary to prepare for it a place yet. But I have not enough time :(

Patrick,

You really have done an amazing job on the winches, 1.5mm high just doesn't seem possible - although a few of them could have been easier; Lewmar produced the winches etc for Rainbow and the biggest were just over 600mm high so at your scale, about 2.7mm; see, they could have been nearly twice as easy to make!!!

I applaud your phenomenal talent,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Patrick, they said I lost my mind when i took some parts to work.  But you have me beat for losing it.  I have made drums using a foredom and a small half file before.  I cannot comprehend working on something that small without pulling out what hair I have left and still be sober.  One drum one six pack would be the way I would have to do it.  Well done.

David B

Hi everyone!!! Wow and many thanks for your support, encouragement and Likes.

It's always a good feeling to receive your feedback, because it spurs me on, as it must for all of us whenever feedback is received.

Igor - the file I used is a small metal file with fine teeth. Aluminium is so soft, that the file cuts through it like butter. Once I got into a rhythm, it was pretty easy to churn out one after the other.

Elia- your comments and feedback are always greatly appreciated. Please stop by whenever you can.

David - that's a good idea about the six pack...why didn't I think of that??

Dave - thanks for your comments and kind words. Greatly appreciated.

Dennis - many thanks. My intention is to replicate as much as I can on this build. Not only is it a challenge, but it's good fun as well. Your AG (in terms of commitment to detail) would be exactly the same, I'm sure.

Row- Aaaagh! You've got me worried now about the winch heights. All I did was to measure them off the blurry low resolution drawing (see first page of this log). Perhaps the winches weren't drawn exactly to scale. Oh well, I'm not redoing them! I've got no more finger nails left from all the filing!

Seriously, thanks for all comments and feedback.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

The winches are........
simply unbelievable  :)

Hi everyone, especially those that left comments and Likes.

All are greatly appreciated!

Progress has been a bit slow this week, however I've started to paint the mast and boom (more painting still to be done later).  I've also added two more handrails to the deck just forward of the mast, as well as the spinnaker pole on the foredeck.

A lot of time has also been spent doing the eyebolts in the deck and masts, in readiness for the rigging and sails, but these are too small for me to photograph.

Still more heaps more work to go, though.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-75192000-1427548751_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-77128000-1427548757_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-03738900-1427548765_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-20022100-1427548772_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-63166100-1427548778_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-57205700-1427548785_thumb.jpg

Those hand rails are great.  I have trouble with them at 1:48.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Great looking handrails Patrick.  What's the final color for the mast and boom?  What did you decide for the sail cloth?

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Wow Patrick that is one very fine model. Great intricate craftsmanship there. As it goes for me the older I get the larger the models get so I see what I am doing.  I am glad I found your build and will be looking forward to seeing more.

Happy modeling,

Marty G.

Hi Marty, Bob, Piet and everyone else for your Likes and comments!

Bob- the handrails may look good, but that could be because they were easier than I thought to build. Sometimes, the simplest method is easiest...or at least so it seems to me! I've got one more handrail to go for the rear deck, which I'll do soon.

Piet-I painted the mast and boom in Aluminium paint by Humbol. I hope this isn't the wrong colour, because every photo I've found had Rainbow's mast and boom in a silvery metallic sheen. The closest match I could find was this Aluminium colour. If this is not the right colour, what would you recommend? Any advice?

As for the sail cloth, Igor (Igorsky) is kindly sending me some material/film that he uses. (Thanks, Igor).

Marty - thanks for stopping by and joining me on Rainbow's journey. Please drop by often!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

what......you don't have a micro setting?   gee....now I'll have to put on my imagination cap,  in order to envision all those tiny fittings  :D  :D

I'm kidding......such wonderful work at this scale!  I did hand rails like that for the Lobsie twins.....I can just imagine how you made yours  ;)   looking really good my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Patrick, my question about the paint was not with the idea that I thought it is the wrong tint.  I was just curious because I figured them to be white, not knowing thatthey are either aluminum or stainless steel.  It is difficult to simulate either metal with paint on models.  I build a plastic model of the Big Boy locomotive several years ago and used Testors #1180 steel but it actually looks more like aluminum.  On the pics you posted they did look a little dark and perhaps you could try a light grey color that may come closer to the real thing.  For a trial you could look into Testors 921577 Light Grey, it could match Al or SS close enough (for government work ;) )  It won't hurt to try.

It's absolutely not objectionable the way you have it.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet

Thanks. You're right about the colour of the mast because I definitely thought it was too dark, as well. Logically, I would have thought that white would've been obvious. I was keen to seek your thoughts (and anyone else' that had some advice) about what would look better. To me, it definitely looks too dark and perhaps I should try a light Gray, as you've suggested.

Thanks for all your help.

It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick,

The detailing is really making her now - I'd never have believed it possible to include so much at this scale!

Mast colour? The only reference I've come across is from a very talented Dutch modeller who produced an incredible model of Rainbow that was displayed at the National Maritime Museum Falmouth when we had the J's racing here a few years ago. Anyway, the colour mentioned on his build site was 'Mercedes Grey' which certainly looked like a very accurate facsimile. For additional info have a look here:

http://kraakmodelbouw.com/index2.html

You'll need to click on the sub-heading 'Building Site RC Rainbow' which is about halfway down the left column. IIRC, there's 19 or so pages a pictures detailing the various stages of the build with the mast construction near the end.

Hope that's of some use,

Row

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Hi Row

Many thanks. I thought that name sounded familiar, because I have been in contact with Jan Kraak a few times; exchanging info and photos. I've also referenced his website regularly, but I must have missed the mast colour! I'll see if I can find a similar grey to the Mercedes one.

Greatly appreciated and thanks for your compliments and help.

Cheers

Patrick

The Jan's model is fantastic  
In reference for the mast and boom color is also important the consideration of the scale, the difference is approximately 15 times!
And the plastic modelers have the rule that take in consideration the scale,  as the scale is smaller the object is at bigger distance so the colors must be lighter or the same color as on the bigger scale seems darker.
Take also the consideration that the Patrick's mast is so small that I don't knew if he uses airbrush or classic painting.

My opinion is that will be enough the used color, maybe with drop of black just to "kill" the shining of used color and maybe gently polished to bring the "metallic" aspect (not shining but metallic) I hope that is understandable what I wrote.

Hi Igor - thanks for the tip about Alclad 2. I hadn't heard of it before; but one thing's for sure, I'm constantly amazed and grateful for all the sharing of info that this Forum offers! Thanks, once again.

Hi Leo - thanks for your thoughts. I'm using a paint brush for the paint. But, if I understand you correctly, are you suggesting that I keep with the Aluminium paint, but add a bit of black? Wouldn't that make it even darker, though?

What do you think?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Yes, but I think that less then a drop of black will remove the shining of the Humbroll aluminum leaving at the color the metallic aspect.
If you could try to polish it with cotton, as you probably knew, between the "normal" enamels that is the best aluminum ..
Of course that the Alcads is another story..., some comparison as between cotton sails and composite sails...;)

Hi Patrick,

I think it's also worth pointing out that you're not actually trying to achieve a metallic look, it's purely a matter of colour matching. While the majority of smaller (than the JClass) yachts do use anodised aluminium for their spars, Rainbow's spars are painted carbon fibre - perhaps it's worth contacting Jan Kraak again for a colour code on the specific paint - it'll almost certainly be available from an automotive supplier or even a Mercedes Benz main dealer if you have one that's reasonably local to you.

Looking forward to reading of how you decide to take this forward!

Good luck with it,

Row

Hi Row

Ironically, I do have access to the local dealership..., so I'll call in soon. The colour of my previous car was called "Mountain Grey", but, looking back, I think it'd be a bit dark. I guess I'll have a look at what else they could recommend.

Thanks for your tip!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hey Patrick, instead of aluminum paint or the Alclad metal finish i would suggest BMF (Bare metal foil). The car modelers use them for imitating metal and chrome. It can be used like flat gold. It is self adhesive and comes in different colors. Here is a link:

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html