Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Thanks Tom, but it's only because I had forty som years of experience.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

First off I need to say thank you to all those who look in and click on the like button.  It’s so nice to log on to MSW and see that red signal that says someone likes what you said or did. Again thank you.

Now to get on with the boat.  The planking is almost done.  A little more clean-up in the stern and mount the transom and keel.  Also the planksheer so I can mount the stanchions and the bulwarks and then paint.  Wow, I shouldn’t list things like that it makes it sound like a lot of work.  Anyway here’s the pictures.

Bob

post-513-0-37003500-1397751312_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-81705000-1397751319_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-25318600-1397751330_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-70742100-1397751341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

well.......it was a lot of work!  but,  you made short work of it  :)   the planking looks great! it will look even better with the keel and other bits of trim on there!   great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John, Alfons, tarbrush, Popeye, thank you all for the encouraging words.  And now for one of the joys of the Darkside.  How to make that round stern on this boat.  I know, I must not think about it. I must trust the Force and just do it.

Bob

Bob, use the force...............

Or, round it you will !

Loving this build Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Bedford, I don’t know why I ever doubt the force?  It always comes through. 

The planking is finished, the keel and the stern post are in place and the rail around the stern is on.  There’s a lot of cleanup to do but the parts are there.  Next its finish the rail and paint the hull and bulkheads, then the deck goes on.

Bob

post-513-0-43340200-1391802975_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-76381400-1391802984_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-40168800-1391802993_thumb.jpg

looking really sweet Bob.....the stern has a nice shape to it  :)   like the concept with the stern rails as well.........nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John, Popeye, Alfons, and “likes” Thanks for the encouragement.

Elia, yes the drawings show a slight camber but doesn’t say how much.  It looks like about four inches from side to center in the profile.

Lawrence, glad you enjoy the show.  I did a web search for the Annie M Parker and saw the picture you posted.   That would make a fine model.  I might even add it to my list if you don’t mind.

Bob

First off I need to say thank you to all those who look in and click on the like button.  It’s so nice to log on to MSW and see that red signal that says someone likes what you said or did. Again thank you.

Now to get on with the boat.  The planking is almost done.  A little more clean-up in the stern and mount the transom and keel.  Also the planksheer so I can mount the stanchions and the bulwarks and then paint.  Wow, I shouldn’t list things like that it makes it sound like a lot of work.  Anyway here’s the pictures.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_0761.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0762.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0763.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0764.JPG

I like this Little schoner of yours Bob

neat planking, fine lines, Looks like it is going to be a Beauty

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils,

My hope is to come close to your fine work.

Bob

John I didn't measure mine either.  Oh well.

Hi Bob

I thank you very much four your very kind words. I would be honored if you do add the Annie M. Parker to your list. In the mean time I will continue to search some build plans , for when I complete the HMS Victory,    Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,  I am not that famiilar with the Annie M. Parker but In a quick look around on the web the schooner American Eagle at 97 feet and its plumb bow seems very similar.

post-513-0-26675100-1391969502_thumb.jpg

Bob

Lawrence, let me know about buying the plans.  The picture is fine I can see the similarity.

More and more I am loving the old schooners.

Right on.

Bob

Bob, I am glad I found your log. The schooner looks really nice so far. I am looking forward to following along.

Just catching up Bob, The hull is looking very sharp, I am looking forward to the rest of her.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Tom, Michael, thanks for looking in.  I'm with both of you, I am also looking forward to what is next.  The Lettie seems to have a mind of her own, but I do like where she's going.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peetee for the kind words.  I'm glad it looks easy.  What you don't see is the number of times I take a part off to do it again, and again, and again . . . 

Hi all,

The hull is finished.  When they rebuilt Lettie, which is what the drawings were taken from, the fore deck was raised to match the poop deck.  That’s why the deck measurement is longer.  They also extended the monkey rail all the way to the bow.  In trying to restore Lettie to original condition I installed the monkey rail around the stern, only up to the step in the deck.

I’m going to do something different this time.  I’m going to paint the hull and then install the deck.  On the one hand I won’t have to mask the deck; on the other it will be harder to sand the deck.  Well that’s how we learn.

Bob

post-513-0-94633800-1393294089_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-71000000-1393294102_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-12965300-1393294114_thumb.jpg

Bob:
The hull looks great. I like how you managed the bulwarks and stanchions. Very nice work.

Russ

Bob that is a sweet looking hull, An interesting trade off regarding the painting, be interesting to see how it goes.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.