HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Dafi, you may have answered this elsewhere so I apologise if you have....but...what are you going to do when the lower deck is 'done'?  Are you going to somehow keep the upper decks open so the detail can be see or will this be buried like the Pharaohs in the pyramids?  Love your work, you should consider publishing book with your photos to bring the Georgian navy to life.

I second the idea of "To Victory... And Byond" the best selling book it would have to be a part work though. One volume per deck

post-18378-0-84945800-1432852970_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-02913000-1432853091_thumb.jpg

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

Hy Izzy, I have a similar piece in even better condition.

900_Victory-oak_1916.JPG

I do believe it is to coarse for the pulleys. Perhaps for the windlass of the grand barge?

Cheers, Daniel

Slowly hunger was shifting the mood and there were some concerns about the two sentinels being able to handle their mates ...

... so back to plan B and deliver the goods in form of the earlier proposed 10 course dinner.

But small oupsy happened ...

... the meal was historical, but 107 years to young, I found hints it was from the 14. April 1912. So thinking about the side effects of this meal, the marines discussed and with an ice cold mood decided to opt for the normal stew. We should have a small look into the bucket, that would give us a hint, which day of the week is displayed in the small setup:

Sunday 1 pound pork, ½ pint peas

Monday 1 pint oatmeal, 2 ounces butter

Tuesday 2 pounds beef

Wednesday ½ pint peas, 1 pint oatmeal, 2 ounces butter, 4 ounces cheese

Thursday Same as Sunday

Friday Same as Monday

Saturday Same as Tuesday

Vic-Saturday.jpg

An overview over our gay* party shows an increasingly raising mood, as the mess on the right is already served - with a lovingly elegant gesture the wooden spoon scratches out a blop of food out of the bucket and conveys it to the square plate with the metal dish *floush*

Also the mess on the left is starting to giggle in anticipation as their bucket full of delicious food is coming nearer and perhaps even can be guessed through the olphactorical chaos of the lower deck.

Victory-marines_0709.jpg

Victory-marines_0735.jpg

And dinner is served :-)

Usually a mess consists of 4 to 8 man that shared cooking and eat together. One had the duty to bring the food to the Brody stove a deck above and take care that nobody stole food from it while being cooked. In case of the Victory there were about 160 messes.

Victory-marines_0731.jpg

Victory-marines_0743.jpg

Vic-Bray-1.jpg

Next bucket with food for souls is drawing nearer.

Victory-marines_0701.jpg

Victory-marines_0682.jpg

Vic-Bray-3.jpg

Now that is party time! See some already took off their jackets and hung them up on the ceiling. But nobody dared to throw them over the gunz ...

Victory-marines_0675.jpg

Victory-marines_0678.jpg

Vic-Bray-2.jpg

One can see it simply is a tight and cosy place :-)

XXXDAn

PS: The drawings of Bray´s album still show the pre-1803-uniforms.

* and gay here in its original meaning ;-)

Hy Izzy, I have a similar piece in even better condition.

900_Victory-oak_1916.JPG

I do believe it is to coarse for the pulleys. Perhaps for the windlass of the grand barge?

Cheers, Daniel

Your may be better condition but mine has the original surface. May even be the bit Nelson died on. At least in my imagination

Ongoing builds,

Slowly hunger was shifting the mood and there were some concerns about the two sentinels being able to handle their mates ...

... so back to plan B and deliver the goods in form of the earlier proposed 10 course dinner.

But small oupsy happened ...

... the meal was historical, but 107 years to young, I found hints it was from the 14. April 1912. So thinking about the side effects of this meal, the marines discussed and with an ice cold mood decided to opt for the normal stew. We should have a small look into the bucket, that would give us a hint, which day of the week is displayed in the small setup:

Sunday 1 pound pork, ½ pint peas

Monday 1 pint oatmeal, 2 ounces butter

Tuesday 2 pounds beef

Wednesday ½ pint peas, 1 pint oatmeal, 2 ounces butter, 4 ounces cheese

Thursday Same as Sunday

Friday Same as Monday

Saturday Same as Tuesday

Vic-Saturday.jpg

An overview over our gay* party shows an increasingly raising mood, as the mess on the right is already served - with a lovingly elegant gesture the wooden spoon scratches out a blop of food out of the bucket and conveys it to the square plate with the metal dish *floush*

Also the mess on the left is starting to giggle in anticipation as their bucket full of delicious food is coming nearer and perhaps even can be guessed through the olphactorical chaos of the lower deck.

Victory-marines_0709.jpg

At a 160 thats an awful lot of mess to clean up after. I hope youve sorted out whos on washing up duty. But if youve only got to the lower deck how can thy get there meals from a deck thats not there yet?

Victory-marines_0735.jpg

And dinner is served :-)

Usually a mess consists of 4 to 8 man that shared cooking and eat together. One had the duty to bring the food to the Brody stove a deck above and take care that nobody stole food from it while being cooked. In case of the Victory there were about 160 messes.

Victory-marines_0731.jpg

Victory-marines_0743.jpg

Vic-Bray-1.jpg

Next bucket with food for souls is drawing nearer.

Victory-marines_0701.jpg

Victory-marines_0682.jpg

Vic-Bray-3.jpg

Now that is party time! See some already took off their jackets and hung them up on the ceiling. But nobody dared to throw them over the gunz ...

Victory-marines_0675.jpg

Victory-marines_0678.jpg

Vic-Bray-2.jpg

One can see it simply is a tight and cosy place :-)

XXXDAn

PS: The drawings of Bray´s album still show the pre-1803-uniforms.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;searchTerm=bray

* and gay here in its original meaning ;-)

Ongoing builds,

beautiful work Daniel!  a dioramic masterpiece!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just amazing, Dafi !!

Please ... keep going !!

[ENCORE]

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Completely crazy and beautiful work it kind of brings to life victory in a way that you could only imagine,  if you spent a night there down on the gun decks  with all those lost spirits.....

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Here's your musket Dafi...  post-961-0-32583200-1432956896_thumb.jpg

It was 136 cm long with a94cm barrel - a little shorter than the Land pattern issued to infantry.

There was also a grenade launcher that could be fitted in lieu of a bayonet: post-961-0-29911400-1432957080_thumb.jpg

The most noticeable and identifying thing about the Brown Bess was the swell in the stock about 1/2 way between the trigger and the end of the barrel.

And some info on it and it's family:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

I did the Bicentennial of the American Revolution back in the 70's as a seaman and carried an original sea service Bess, loved that old girl  :)

The Penobscott Expedition 1979

Me and my Bess are on the right

post-961-0-64990300-1432957701_thumb.jpg

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

Thank you Izzy, Popeye, Steve, OC, Jerry and all the kind likes!

Special thanks for information about Brown Betty, very appreciated! Great picture you and Bess :-)

Looks like mine are 135 cm, have to lengthen the next ones by a 1/10 mm ;-)

Luckily the strap is hiding the lump :-)

Cheers, DAniel

Edited by dafi

Sea chests nearly always had loops of line for handles at either end, often covered in fancy knotwork and held on by a vertical cleat.

Take a look at this site for a variety of chests and their beckets - there's a couple that date to the early 1800's.  Often a painting or carving, or even something on paper was pasted inside the lid where it was protected from the abuse the chest was bound to get.  A fellow digging in his sea chest with a little painting inside would be nice in your wonderful scene of happy marines.  ;)

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/chests.html

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

Daniel,

With apologies I DON'T know how I could have missed this amazing build and superbly informative log. I won't repeat the hundreds of "OH My's"

I'll will visit from the start taking my time. Amazing that it started as a plastic kit. And to think that you have also populated the ship with historically excellent shimates  yes--OH MY,

Regards,

MIchael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I have read that the ponytails were covered with the skin of an eel. I am sure it made perfect sense at the time.

This makes sense if you consider that hygiene if even possible would very low at best and it would keep the hiar under control and it explain some images I've. Seen in period cartoons. Where the sailors hair is rigid. And if you consider that they made the most sort after "leather" aprons from the foreskin of a blue whale why not eel skins covering hair. They make wallets out of them nowadays. And I recall them being laced up so that the hair would be rigid I just didn't realise that the wrapping was eel. And it's VERY tough and durable.

Ongoing builds,

Sea chests nearly always had loops of line for handles at either end, often covered in fancy knotwork and held on by a vertical cleat.

Take a look at this site for a variety of chests and their beckets - there's a couple that date to the early 1800's.  Often a painting or carving, or even something on paper was pasted inside the lid where it was protected from the abuse the chest was bound to get.  A fellow digging in his sea chest with a little painting inside would be nice in your wonderful scene of happy marines.  ;)

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/chests.html

I mentioned this before as I've had the misfortune to make several and they are so complex and each one was different due to the abilities of the seaman and his abilities at "acquiring" the parts. But this also meant that each seaman could spot his chest in the heap. Unless they are cast I think several hundred minute Beckets are little to much to expect. Especially if Dafi intends to make them for real. Just making the central "pudding" for one makes my eyes water thinking about it never mind the whipping the splicing and the encasing. enough to mean I'd be sharing a cell with him I think.

Ongoing builds,

Dafi, thanks for this truly inspirational build. Love what you are doing with the figures..each telling a story.

You are MSG's own Olivier Bello ..............http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=shipimg&ship=boullongne∂=cℑ=c1

There's more in the Articles by Bello.. such as:  http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=articles&articleid=40

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Smells like danger ...

... big danger ...

... enormous danger ...

... one of these days, I was in the bathroom and I found a new torture tool belonging to my wife: a Dermaroller!

Iron Maiden just inverted, spikes outside - how that could help the skin I will never understand.

But if you believe that that thing is dangerous, you are on the wrong track - the danger lies somewhere completely else!!!

I suddenly had a flash of inspiration and wanted to have a closer look at the thingy, and believe it or not, it crumbled into pieces just in front of my very eyes, I solemnly declare I did not touch it - I just looked ...

Victory-Copper_0885.jpg

... but if it is already prepared for needing reassembly I thought that I could try out something.

So I took out the 1,5 mm thick pinky spacers and replaced them by 0,5 mm sheet. Used the old ones as template, so it went rather fast ...

Victory-Copper_0887.jpg

... and reassembled the bit with only five spikewheels :-)

And here it is the patented Dr. dafi Rivetroller®© :-) :-) :-)

Immediately tried it out on the copperplates to get an even and parallel surface-riveting ...

Victory-Copper_0888.jpg

... which worked wonderfully as the roller had the right thickness for the row of plates ...

Victory-Copper_0890.jpg

... and afterwards just gave the tighter riveting on the edges of the plates with the Riveter from RB .

Victory-Copper_0892.jpg

The small vertical lines come from the nut on the back of the small riveter, me doofus did not pay attention to this small technical issue.

So if it takes some time to come back to you, it could be that I am trying to learn how to drink out of a sippy cup and also I do strongly believe that it will be difficult to type with broken my fingers ...

... as I am quite sure that it will come, the scream: "Daaaaaaaarrrling, have you seen my dermaroller?"

... and yes that is the true danger ...

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I wonder if they have things like this in the states?    I do agree....very clever!  ;)   uniformity would be the key here...the number of teeth may vary,  but spacing and straightness is crucial.    do you have a sort of guide built into it?

looks great Daniel!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I wonder if they have things like this in the states? I do agree....very clever! ;) uniformity would be the key here...the number of teeth may vary, but spacing and straightness is crucial. do you have a sort of guide built into it?

looks great Daniel!

Try a haberdashery shop I don't know what they are called over there but they make them in various diameters an pin spacing. But they've been around for about 150 years. I know them as dress pattern markers or pounce markers. The vintage ones are best as they are blunter and cheaper.

These are the dressmaking ones this is a coarse on. About 7-10 points per inch

post-18378-0-90057600-1433446808_thumb.jpg

Or there's even these they are called finishing wheels. Which come anywhere between 10-40 points per inch or more and are used for book binding and leather work

post-18378-0-92964500-1433446974_thumb.jpg

Top right hand corner are the leather working stitch marking wheels. And you can see the sort of range. If you go for the leather ones one place you will get them but not cheap is Tandy leather. As that is a U.S. Based store.

post-18378-0-54000100-1433447247.jpg

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

I have only just caught up with this super build.

I am really really REALLY!!! not a fan of figures on model boats---- until....... I saw what you have done-- and totally converted -- amazing ---love it

:10_1_10::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thank you sal, Pop, Izzy and Ian.

@Izzy

Thank you for the pictures. The modern model making version that I use and that works very well is the one shown from RB Productions and come in all necessary sizes:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=rb+productions+rivet+tool&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=ZUVxVdzDJILkUoG_gpAD&ved=0CDAQsAQ&tbm=isch

Those I already tested but it was good for the seam of the plates but it was great to find the dermaroller as there the points are still finer - necessary for my scale - and also to see the trick of having the parallel rolls for an even appearance of the surface nailing as Popeye mentioned.

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

No ;-)

...hihihihihihi...

XXXDAn

Thank you sal, Pop, Izzy and Ian.

@Izzy

Thank you for the pictures. The modern model making version that I use and that works very well is the one shown from RB Productions and come in all necessary sizes:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=rb+productions+rivet+tool&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=ZUVxVdzDJILkUoG_gpAD&ved=0CDAQsAQ&tbm=isch

Those I already tested but it was good for the seam of the plates but it was great to find the dermaroller as there the points are still finer - necessary for my scale - and also to see the trick of having the parallel rolls for an even appearance of the surface nailing as Popeye mentioned.

Cheers, Daniel

Not intending to knock or out do you just point out. The finishing rollers come in all the way up to 60 TPI and some of the older ones you can barely tell they have pins they are so fine. But your version is very much cheaper. And more inventive.

Ongoing builds,

Hi,

I don't know if your aware or if it would make any difference. But John McKay's book has several alterations especially in the galley area. A steam trunk is added and the magazine forward has been altered.

Also I've never seen the quarter da it's mentioned before. And as they are such a large external feature they would easily be noticed if not included.

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM,

he did it again, and he lied ...

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

... only a little bit ...

Victory-copper_0907.jpg

... Jan I am so sorry I lied to you ...