Jim Lad

Meteor by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - Immigrant Ship Of 1851

A little more progress.  The forward cant frames are now all fitted and I've started fitting hawse pieces - hopefully they'll all be on next Monday.

The problem at the moment is School Holidays!  There are lots of visitors in the museum and I'm doing far more talking than model making.  Of course if anyone shows any real interest I tell them about this amazing international forum of model makers that I know of! :D

John

DSC05878.thumb.JPG.ceeecce07db0c7266c8a2ad68cddc921.JPG

DSC05879.thumb.JPG.7f2ac2b42997281b6238a1dce20e478a.JPG

Small world, John. I didn’t recall your MSW connection when I visited the museum last week. That is a very fine model you’re building with only hand tools in plain view of the public!

The same, I think, Greg.  As you walked off to look at the museum I thought, "Oh, Greg from Admiralty Models."  :blush:

I can only say in my defence that I had been a little distracted that day.

John

A Claytons update (the update you're having when you're not having an update)! :wacko:

I got the last of the stern frames fitted last week and started work on the transoms yesterday.  As the museum was very quiet, I actually got three transoms fitted!  Then in the last twenty minutes I ripped out all the transoms and the frame I fitted last week.

I said back near the start that I was feeling my way a bit with this model as it"s outside the period I'm familiar with - I was obviously feeling in the wrong direction as it just wasn't right.

Next week I'll have another go and hopefully have a couple of photos to show that I'm now heading in the right direction again.

John

Mate, that's the way I work all the time - ALL at sea ;) :) - Knowing your work I am sure it will be a thing of beauty when you finalise the transoms.

cheers

Pat

Reworks often work much better, John! BTW, what is the origin of the expression 'a Claytons update'? Seems like a useful phrase to have on hand.

Sorry, Druxey - obviously an Australian product.  There is (or was) a non-alcoholic drink sold in pubs (bars) and they had the slogan, 'the drink you're having when you're not having a drink.'  It's found its way into the language over here.

John