HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

The plank has been fitted and the Chocks have been trimmed. The entire inner forward leg needed cutting off, plus a bit more :

Cisterns 008.jpg

Note to any other Swan builders - your Inner Chocks may be a little different to mine ... this could be just a peculiarity of Vulture's Main Mast Partners and placement.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Danny,

It looks great but can you tell me what they are?

It has a purpose ( if it is the right word) but I don't know what……or why or when…...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Sjors,

They are the bases for the Chain Pump Cisterns. The four tubes go to the bottom of the hold and contain the chains and "buckets" that pump water out of the bilge.

You'll get the idea of how they work as I make the whole thing  :) .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Dan,

You took your time getting there mate ;)  I'm glad you're on the roll again, as will  you certainly. You have a magnificent start with the pump and cistern. It looks real sharp.

As with Remco's build, I'm glad I reread it, for there are quite a few things I missed the first time. I'll probably go through it again, as I will certainly have missed things again.

Good to have you back at the work bench!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Danny,

Good to see you back in the shop and working on Vulture.  The cisterns and placement are interesting in that they look to be abutting the mast. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Carl and Mark - it's good to be back at work on my ship at last  :) .

Yeah Mark, there's not a lot of room between the forward part of the Cistern and the Mast - about 2 1/2".

Here's an update for you Sjors - I'm about half finished with the Cisterns. They look out of alignment in the first two pics, but that is the way they fit :

Cisterns 009.jpg

Cisterns 010.jpg

The Pump Dales (drains) will fit into the slots in the outboard end. I'll only be fitting the port side one :

Cisterns 012.jpg

The hole in the side is for a drain bung :

Cisterns 013.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great to see you back at it again Danny; missed your earlier post re the meat - what a smell that must have been! 

Seems the lay-off (unintentional) have done nothing to deminish your acquired building skills.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you John, Sherry, Pat and Russell  :) .

Pat, the smell is still hanging around a bit - I have all the doors open and the fans roaring just to be able to work again (the things I have to do ... :D :D ).

Russell - your praise is gratefully accepted, but it's a little over-the-top .... there are far better modellers on this site than myself. I'm still a comparative novice at this game compared to them (have a look at EdT's "Naiad" or some of Doris's incredible work, to name just two).

Cheers, Danny

Hi all,

I've tidied up the Cisterns a bit - the angle I had between them earlier wasn't right (I thought so too, and when I checked Greg's TFFM Volume III it was confirmed). It turns out that I'd forgotten to allow for the extra thickness of Vulture's unusual Main Mast Partners. No big job, just a little more trimming off the Inner Chocks soon put it right.

I've spot-glued in both cisterns and also the Main Topsail Sheet Bitts and Jeer Bitts. Now that everything lines up I can mark where the Rhodings (bearings) for the Chain Pump Cranks will go :

Cisterns 014.jpg

Cisterns 016.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

How much room is there left between those 'bits'(?) and the cisterns, i.e. can you still pull a rope through? From here it looks like they are touching, which they are probably not.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for the update Danny  :)

I know now what it is….

There is gonna be a lot of details.

I think that's a strong part of scratch build.

You can show a lot of details…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Really nice, Dan

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Pump Chain

This is the Chain for the starboard Chain Pump - I'm only making one of these, as the port side will have a cover on the Cistern.

The chain is made from the pieces supplied in the PE set from Admiralty Models. It's a little on the fiddly side to make, but I came up with a rather easy way to put it together. I should have taken a few step-by-step pics, but my explanation will have to suffice.

After cutting all the required pieces from the sprue I started by fixing one link in my vise with half of it protruding. Then I picked up a second link with small pliers and pushed some 0.5mm brass wire through both pieces. The wire needed a good cleanup with 1000 grit wet and dry to slightly reduce it's diameter.

Next I picked up a third link and threaded the wire through it alongside the second link, making three links joined at the same point. A drop of medium CA glue held the joint firmly. I then snipped off the wire on both sides a little longer than "flush".

I continued in this manner for three single and four double links, then I slipped on the one (and only) "saucer" that will be visible - there is one every fourth single link, but I only need seven singles in the length around the Sprocket between the two Tubes.

When I completed the whole length I placed each pin on my anvil and carefully peened each side of the wire to keep it all together. Then I gave the whole chain a bath in Acetone to remove the CA - the chain actually works, and doesn't come apart at all (OK, one joint did - not quite enough peening, but not hard to correct).

I'll blacken the chain before fitting it. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to make 50mm of chain.

Chain 001.jpg

Chain 002.jpg

Chain 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Remco, I think Danny may be fishing for a bite - so I will be the first :)

How did you do it then Danny?  I am assuming you have made a jig/template by which to mass produce the individual plates from thin strip brass, predrill, then painstakingly assemble the chain?

Very nice result; looks great mate!

cheers

Pat

Thanks Remco and Pat.

No. I wasn't speechless, just running late for work - I'm writing the text for the post at the moment (at work ;):D ). Give me a couple of minutes.

EDIT - Text is finished.

Cheers, Danny

I'm disappointed, Danny.  I really expected you to make the full length of both chains and fit them, even though thay won't be visible! :P

John

There weren't enough links supplied in the PE set John ;)  .

Cheers, Danny

Awww; he's cheating  :P   now where is that sheet of PE I had for my .... ;)

Look forward to seeing the blackened chain in situ.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN