HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Jim,

That's the general idea mate, haven't started plating yet, I'm still planking the port side above the main wale, Should have that finished on Saturday so hopefully I will start plating on Sunday.

I am still pondering whether to start at the top and work down or bottom and work up, perhaps those in the know can advise me on that, I've seen the u tube vids but still cant make my mind up.

Thanks everybody for the vote of confidence and the good words.

I'll have some pics very soon I hope, just to keep you know who happy. :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbisie,

If you're doing "overlap", then the direction of plating is pretty much set in stone...  If you're not doing overlap, I think that decision is all yours.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that mate, I will not be overlapping the plates so as you say the decision is mine. :)

In the practicums that I have seen most start at the bottom and in the centre, working towards the Bow and Stern, also there seems to be a difference of opinion with the plates around the keel. :mellow:  :mellow:  :(

Do I lay the plates along the length of the keel or are they laid across and wrapped around the keel. :(

I never thought about it before but the more you look into coppering the more complex it becomes, either that or I'm looking at it too hard. :huh:

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hello mobbsie

I started from the bottom and I believe this way is easier when you come up to the waterline...

(but I'm not sure)

Coppering is not more complex than ratlines, just booooring and takes forever to do...

And you have lots and lots of both the plates and the ratlines :D

Thank you so much for that wonderful thought Eric. :(  :(

I'm a voyage of discovery as far as the coppering goes but I actually quite like doing the rigging, even the ratlines, :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Contrary to popular opinion, I LOVE coppering, Mobbsie. Of course my ship is 1/3 the size of yours :D  :D .

I overlapped.  Being an airplane guy, I respect the virtual hydrodynamics --- so I started at the bottm stern and worked my way forward and up.  Makes me sleep better at night.  On the keel, my baby has a false keel on the bottom which is not coppered and completely covers the keel.  So I set the bottom row of plates on the hull then wrapped them over the edge of the keel so they would be covered by the false keel.

OK, so it is rather mindless repetition but I'm good at that :D  :D .

However you do it, you'll have a great sense of accomplishment when done -----  so enjoy!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie, I think I know which way I'm going to go, besides mad. :o  :o

I already have my false keel fitted, and it is to be coppered, so I will lay the plates along it's length and then work upwards. :)

I will more than likely come screaming and be asking advice so please be warned. :(  :mellow:  :)  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie

Okay Mobbsie,

That's enough procrastination for now. Best get cracking on that coppering if this build is going to be finished in time for my visit! :D

On a more serious note, I don't know if Aggy is the same as Victory in this regard, but according to Longridge Vicky had two "belts" of coppering. I can't think how to describe it in words just now, but if you think it might be useful, I can scan the picture from the book and post here for you.

Now your scaring me Grant, that would be great if you could.

My manual doesn't mention anything like that, in fact it says to paint the underside of the keel and rudder post copper, don't like that idea very much.

I'm a little ways of coppering just yet, I was hoping to start it on Sunday but that's not looking realistic. I still have to complete the port upper planking, mark my waterline and paint the hull above the waterline.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Okay Mobbsie,

I'll scan and send the picture in the morning. It's just on midnight here now and I'll disturb the Admiral if I try to do it now! I'll reply to your PM then too - just need to double check with the Admiral.

Edited by gjdale

Sounds like you are moving along smartly, Mobbsie!  Look forward to seeing the result of that planking and initial painting work.

Based on the size of this beastie, did you need to buy paint by the liter rather than by the ounce?????

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Grant for alerting us to the 'two belts of coppering'.  Sounds just like what Mobbsie needs!!!!

OK, now what's this about a visit.  I know Sjors and Anja just got back from Mobbsie's turf.  Is he serving free popcorn?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, now what's this about a visit.  I know Sjors and Anja just got back from Mobbsie's turf.  Is he serving free popcorn?

Hello Augie,

Did you miss that one, about the visit? I will give you an update.

Grant is visiting Mobbsie in september and he is expecting Mobbsie to be his local Shipmodelling tour guide.

Bye for now.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

For what it's worth I started at the centre of the keel and worked upwards, fore and aft. It worked really well. The best decision I made was to glue a narrow batten around the waterline to finish the plates against.

You can see some photos here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1115-hms-agamemnon-by-decoyman-caldercraft/page-2

Good luck!

Rob

i did my tiles the Keith Julier way start at the water line lay about 5 tiles and brickwork them down until you come to a pre drawn line where the bottom ones about row 11 down meet the waterline fwd and aft, then from the keel up and the gore line is hidden under the waist of the ship

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/403-hms-victory-by-kevin-caldercraftjotika-172/page-2

But lol - this is not the Victory - so ignore my ramble

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Mobbsie,

I've scanned the section from Longridge on coppering and placed it in the attached files.  Hope this is of some help (and I'm making an assumption that Aggy would have been done the same way - I could be wrong.  I think this is the same way (or similar) to the way Kevin has done his.

Interesting caution about the optical illusion of "waterline sag" too.

Longridge on Coppering.pdf

Longridge Plan 2.pdf

Hi Grant,

That's a great help, thank you very much, I like the look of that system and not many stealers being used, from what I can see none at the bow and very few at the stern.

Keith, thanks for your input mate, it's all very helpful.

Jim, It wont be long before it happens mate.

Augie, I'm far to modest to comment my friend, but all are welcome, even "he who shall not be named". I don't give popcorn away but I do sell it. I cant eat the stuff cos all I do is chase it with my pickle chaser and that's frustrating.

Rob, I've been following your build mate and it's looking extremely good, hope I can do mine as much justice.

Frank, thanks mate.

Wayne, The paint comes by the bucket load, all you need to do is break the crust and dip in, there is a serious amount required. Everythings big on this tub.

Progress has slowed somewhat due to a cut on my left index finger, I don't wont the red stuff all over the Aggy. I was just finishing the second row of the upper wale and my knife slipped and sliced through the finger to the nail, lovely.

Should be able to carry on on Monday, at least that's the plan.

Stay good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Best wishes for your return to top form!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ouch - get well soon Mobbsie.  That happened to me a couple of times on my build.  Part of it was my fault in that the blade I was using was dull.

I ended up buying one of these to help protect my fingers:

http://www.micromark.com/Straight-Edge-6-Inches-Long,6541.html

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Ouch...... :blink:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

sorry to hear that Mobbsie........I do a lot of my work with razor blades....I am a very lucky man.   take care my friend.......:(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mobbsie,

I'm just cringing here from the sound of that injury.  If this were a sports team, I think most of us would have been benched on the injured list lately. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Same here my friend. Hope you heal fast.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Well Mobbsie,

Saturday I cut my left middle finger. with a meat cleaver, and it didn't stop at the nail but went right through.

Just couldn't leave you guys by yourself.  :D

Tip: don't try to slice a frozen strawberry with a meat cleaver... :huh:

isn't that a bit out of scale,  eric?   owww!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch