RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

It's going to make a great display in the daylight, but even better at night when it's lit up.  Very nice Dennis!  ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I go along with the rest.. the lighting is great!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Grease lightning ... maybe not as nice as in reality, but it certainly looks good!! ... red or green lights on the bridge, not to spoil their night vision ... you'll come up with a surprise anyway ... if not a tripple build, 'twill be lighted plastic ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I go along with the rest.. the lighting is great!!!!!

G'day Denis

Ditto from me! Mark said it beautiful and so simple.

Havagooday and keep the post coming.

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Denis

Like everyone else, I also agree that the lighting looks great.

However, I'm still very much in the dark about what the trio of ships is. Maybe you could give a few more hints, or maybe not.....I'd hate to jinx it for you, too.

Happy to wait until you're ready...

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I presume, Patrick, you would like Popeye to shed some light on the matter ...

Hah! Thanks Carl.. I didn't even realise that I'd written it that way until I re-read it long after the post had been sent! But, looking back now, I'm having a good chuckle about it, too.

All the best.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks to all for the kind comments and the likes.   I knew there would be some light filtration......had I had the fore thought,  I might have seen it coming.   for what it is,  I'll take it  :)    who knows how many times it will ever be lit.   I know I'll have better luck with the Holiday boats......I don't think there will be problems like this.   in another small way,  it looks kinda cool.......the well decks are lit to some degree.   I feel I broke even.

the other day,  we checked out another local craft store that had moved to a new location.   I figured they might have expanded their product lines as well,  but nawwww.......same 'ole store.   they do carry wood though.......basswood,  balsa,  and beech plywood......it's nice to know there's another supply out there.   I was interested to see if they carried doll house lighting........sadly.......no.   we did meet this wonderful lady........her hobby......rooms.   she takes square or rectangular boxes........cuts out windows and doors........walls out the inside and decorates the space.....whether it be a bedroom.....living room......den......let the imagination flow.   she showed us a picture on her phone.......simply amazing!   SO........I need a couple more lights to complete the circuits.....I ran two separate lines into the hull,  so not to tax the system.   the Titanic is finally on the other table........moved my wood rack to the main table,  so I would have more room.   I've got the half Moon on the main table for the moment.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

G'day Denis

I've been thinking about your next project! Could you be thinking of building the three ships Christopher Columbus used to sail to the Americas: Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria? You gave me the hint when you said about the Halve Maen on your table.

Havagoodtime on your holiday mate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

I watched movie again ( 101th time) yesterday ( nothing better on TV) ... and this time I payed my attention to details I never do before ... thanks to your build ( life boats, rigging lines, etc etc)

I really like work you do

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

no Greg........that would be too easy  :D  :D  :D   besides,  three are kits for all there,  out there somewhere  ;)   that would be a cool project,  if someone would take up the gauntlet.

thanks Nenad........very kind of you to say.   the TRMA site is a good site......glad  I found it.   they cover the Revell kit,  and the Minicraft kit,  as well as the Academy kit.   I have the movie too.........I've been so wrapped up with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones......perhaps I should give it another go  :)

Springsteen has a song about 57 channels.........makes me wonder why I pay for cable sometimes  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks KP  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

let the tedium begin!   painting the railings that are cemented in place....is not fun.   I've had to touch up a few places that I had nicked with the brush.......still more refinement to do.  what makes this worse, is that it's white over brown........I'm having to deal with a lot of ghosting and secondary touch ups.

post-612-0-11065300-1440681054_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-96542700-1440681065_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78301200-1440681077_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80258500-1440681175_thumb.jpg

waiting for these railings to dry,  I singled out the next group to go on......and painted the railing.  this made it a lot easier,  but still tough on the eyes.......my auto focus isn't what it used to be ;)   the square sections you see are made from two parts,  assembled and allowed to dry.   the small section you see by the end of the clothes pin was my first real M.I.A.   it flew from between the tweezers...to I don't know where...............I combed the entire room looking for it.   I had to take Gibbs out,  so I got the duplicate from the other sprue and used it instead.  when I got back in from our walk,  I took another look around.   I found it lying right beside my garbage basket.......I swore that I had looked there!..

post-612-0-92655500-1440681636_thumb.jpg

I moved everything over to my computer desk......I needed to sit.   when those parts had dried,  they were cemented in place.

post-612-0-36013400-1440681845_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62258200-1440681897_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11306000-1440681912_thumb.jpg

minor touch ups followed......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the forward section was done.......so I rigged the funnel.

post-612-0-52178400-1440682091_thumb.jpg

the way that the first funnel is rigged,  is interesting.   there is one cable that comes from the roof of the structures.  earlier we had talked about there being a lower set of cables,  that attach half way up the funnels.  if I knew of this...or even thought of doing them,  I could have drilled the other holes needed {enough for four cables would have been good}....taken this one and changed it.....and ran another upper cable to replace it.   all speculation now.........but this one does give me the thought that it should have originated from the deck........the thought about the second set of cables was in the designer's mind when they did this.   this kit is large enough for the added detail  :)

post-612-0-23412700-1440682783_thumb.jpg

all to the other funnels are done differently,  but identical to one another.  the third funnel has some piping to be added,  along with assembling the roof for the small structure in between the third and fourth funnel.  I still have to finish painting the window area,  and add the rest of the parts.

post-612-0-10290600-1440683053_thumb.jpg

a couple more railing pieces were added ......as well as more touch ups

post-612-0-01129300-1440683195_thumb.jpg

the second funnel was rigged.

post-612-0-31259700-1440683290_thumb.jpg

I see some interference here......I will make adjustment

post-612-0-60634300-1440683348_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-29115700-1440683430_thumb.jpg

the fourth funnel was rigged again........this time permanently.

post-612-0-68942800-1440683457_thumb.jpg

still some more railings to go,  along with the piping......and then the third funnel can be rigged.   at that point,  I may even be able to cement the assembly on the model  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

White over brown is tough with any medium.  Looking good!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Lawrence....this has been a big leap forward for the build.   the painting and the tiny parts are pretty tedious......the life boats should be a walk in the park  ;)   there is some more railing work to be done on the stern section......so I'm not out of the woods yet.

I wish I could say more about that..........trying to practice what I should have done in the first place  ;)   besides,  there's still more to do

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Augie  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

Great job! Painting the top of the rails would have made me loopy, when I saw the rails in the pegs, that was when I realised how bloody small they were. Again great job.

Greg

Looks like some difficult painting went on there Dennis, but you smoked through it and made it look great. Rigging those masts is making her stand out as well. Very nice! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

thanks for the fine comments  :)   still more railings to go......not out of the woods yet.   really appreciate you all following along ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis,

I just caught up with your very fine build log  :)

I have a Titanic plastic kit waiting to be built...so I'm very interested in seeing all the beautiful detail touches you're adding to the ship :)   

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

thank you Boyd........which kit do you have?    got to get the third funnel finished out,  so I can rig the cables.  hopefully by then,  I can get the rest of the lights I need to close her up :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Boyd........which kit do you have?    got to get the third funnel finished out,  so I can rig the cables.  hopefully by then,  I can get the rest of the lights I need to close her up :)  

Dennis,

It's the Minicraft Centennial (1912 - 2012) Edition - 1/350 Scale Model Kit.

The Admiral gave it to me for Xmas....as we both love this ship and it's story (me for the ship, and her for the love story) :D

I really like the idea of plastic on this particular build (a ship of steel) and I also have experience working with the material  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Well I said I let you know when I spotted those programs on the History Channel Dennis. There's 4 programs on back-to-back, from (9:00 AM to 4:00 PM) all about Titanic. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif