RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

I'm enjoying your build Popeye. I've never seen a plastic model with such detail and build quality.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Big like !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks John.......I was stuck for a word as to what they were called.   apparently some manufacturers don't even know that.  ;)

thank you for your kind comments and likes...you all are so kind with my clumsy attempt at a plastic model.  if anyone hasn't clicked on the link to see Doris's build of the Academy Titanic,  I strongly suggest that you do.   there may be a language barrier,  but the pictures speak completely for themselves.  she has the kit with the photo etch and wooden deck and her process and work on this model is exquisite.   it's very hard to see all the detail from the picture she posted of her.  bravo Doris.........I was speechless with the level of modeling you put into this build..........absolutely stunning!  :)  ;)

I did a few bits on her yesterday .........not a whole lot.   the two decks are cemented together now,  and I attempted to do the window detail on the forward skylight / hold......it covers a domed skylight.   I must say........I couldn't have botched it up,  in any finer fashion.  to make matters worse,  I think I scratched the window aspect in the process of trying to remove the tape I had cut,  in the effort to mask it.  so it's off to removing the paint and starting over.......I just hope I didn't scratch the 'glass to badly.   to me,  aside from the chrome,  this is probably the second bad point about this kit...molding parts in clear plastic.

if they were to do it,  I would have imagined that some,  if not all of the windows,  would have had clear glass inserts..........odd that the skylights would be the only place where clear 'glass' would be seen,  considering how many windows are on this model.   I hope to post some sort of an update,  since this is the last day of my vacation.   back to the grind,  I suppose...............but,  I'll be plotting my next vacation.   I still have enough time accumulated for 1 more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Don't know if it would help, Popeye, but I've had success removing scratches from acetate type windows using very fine (1500 or 3000) grit sandpaper, wet.  Not easy to find.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Dennis

It goes without saying that your Titanic's looking damn fine, however, I never really gave it much thought (why, I don't know), but your close-up photography is just brilliant! It's a joy to squizz at your photos.

That must be another one of your multiple strengths?

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks for the suggestions,  but there is a further snag...........the part in question is broken :(    don't know how.........I was just wiping the roof off with thinner on a rag.   looks like I'll be doing some scratch building,  perhaps  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Magic of scratch ... nothing without ... dark side force is strong with you ... think there is no help for you ... and no chance to make bad model

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Just. Thought when I lit mine I lined the inside of the hull with tinfoil (not to block light out but to reflect it so I needed less leds) but it did have that effect you could line anywhere you didn't want light escaping with foil (I used double sided sticky tape to stick my foil with) just an idea.

I'm enjoying your build Popeye. I've never seen a plastic model with such detail and build quality.

This is true to me as well. In actual fact, I have never thought twice about plastic model, but your build and log has changed my view completely!

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

ohhhhhh.........getting use to being back at work again,  is a complete drag!   what was worse....it was above 90 degrees all week end!    I'm glad it's over,  and I'm on my 'week end' again  :)

they do come with difficulty levels Greg.......but,  like wooden kits,  they are not clearly defined.   I started this medium with an expert level wooden kit,  but i've found equal enjoyment with advanced beginners kits.  the one big hurdle that the plastic kit has to maintain with wooden kits though,  is the ability to mimic the wood appearance.   plastic kits do command more attention towards painting prowess,  and the ability to weather finishes.   complexity of plastic kits,  can be noted by the number of parts and how much detail is included into the finished model.   both mediums have enjoyed the benefit of photo etch and resin.........as long as aftermarket can satisfy both mediums,  then folks will find them equally as enjoyable.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just looked in my pictures folder,  and I found these two that I had imported before recharging my camera.   rigging the decks needed to be done at this stage.    the stern section was rigged with back stays.......then the funnel lines were added to the boat deck.

post-612-0-28523800-1436898640.jpg

then the A deck and the boat deck was cemented together

post-612-0-32480500-1436898803.jpg

I have other pictures,   but they are still in the camera   I'll post them later  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Killing work, my friend. I enjoy looking

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Great to see these.  Never imagined there would be so much rigging on a steamer.  Appreciate you pointing out all these details.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Nenad  :)

that's the tough part.......all the little parts need to be done first....I'll be knock'in things off left 'n right  :D     wait till I tackle the communication wires  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A fully rigged Titanic.  Who knew?  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's amazing how many guy-wires there are.  When looking at her profile, you don't really pay any attention to them.   

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

G'day Denis

Thank you very much for in depth answer. I didn't realise that there vast arrays of difficulty in plastic! I guess on one level plastic could be harder than wood because you don't have the same amount of latitude as in wood. Btw your Titanic is coming on great gun!

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

My problem with plastic has always been getting glue where it isn't supposed to be. Much harder to deal with than cleaning glue off wood, I think. But hten again, it has been probably 45 years since I built a plastic model  :P

you would be amazed with the rigging that the Titanic had Mark.........the TRMA has some very nice diagrams for those who are doing the wooden kit.  it's too bad I can't include some of it on this model.

I'm finding a little harder Greg..........I've been spoiled ........soooooooooooo bad!  :D  :D

on wood,  it's a lot easier Tom..........I usually use white glue.   it dries flat and hardly noticeable......where I use flats almost exclusively,  I'm forever touching up the glue marks.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finally got the other pictures out of the camera.   when the camera was ready to go,  the clamps had been removed from the two decks.  I was doing some dry fitting,  as well as painting some of the part with flat white.

post-612-0-40702200-1437005541.jpg

I had looked through Doris's complete build log......for those who haven't seen it,  it is a work of art.  she reveals another botch in the kit's design...........I may follow suit with her solution.

post-612-0-57701900-1437005805.jpg

these countersunk structures look good from the sides.......but what of the ends?   to be honest,  I saw a glimpse of this earlier,  but didn't think much of it until I read her log.   both raised decks are like this.

post-612-0-61669200-1437006026.jpg

I had mentioned that I botched up the forward skylight......tried to mask the windows,  since it was made from clear plastic.   it didn't go as planned.

post-612-0-75275400-1437006191.jpg

the only solution was to clean off the paint and try redoing it.........I was going paint the windows with the window maker, to see if that would fix the scratches I had put into them.   but my luck went downhill fast........the part simply crumbled and broke in my hands!

post-612-0-79317400-1437006563.jpg

if you recall what I had mentioned earlier,  clear plastic is pure styrene..........harder,  unforgiving,  and apparently a bit more brittle,  that plastics that have had color additives added to them.   the only recourse here,  is to make another one. 

I was talking to the admiral about getting some thinner plastic sheet to make it from.........and then I realized that I had those decks from the United states kit.........I could use that  :)    so I've trimmed all the raised stuff off of one of the pieces,  and I now have plenty of sheet plastic ti make it......as well as fix the problems with the raised decks.   we'll see where I go from here  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Somehow I knew you'd be doing some scratch-building sooner or later Dennis. :o  I have no doubt the sky-light will turn out better for it. She's looking better and better with more deck structures being added to her.   :dancetl6:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I got my fingers crossed for you Popeye even though we all know it'll turn out well.  I do remember clear styrene being exceptionally brittle from my model car days.   What about plastic from a bubble/blister pack? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Denis

Bummer is all I can say for you. I'm very sorry about the clear skylights. I've got an idea that might help, have you thought about getting some plastic laminate sheets. it is only an idea but it might work.

Well anyway mate have a good day.

Greg

thanks you for all your kind comments and suggestions....I really appreciate them  :)   another day of not finding any time to play :( .........but I did manage to do some browsing.  I found this really good documentary on you tube.   I was hoping to find the one that was on  H2  {it's a history channel}.......it focused on the expansion joints that were segmented along the decks.   just another guess-ta-ment on how she sank.  I hope you enjoy this....it's in five parts,  and the next one starts automatically {it did for me}

anyone who has build planes and cars,  know this plastic very well  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here are a couple more bits of footage for you to enjoy  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFfHhdjs9cI

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: