RMS Titanic by popeye the sailor - Academy - PLASTIC - 1/400 scale

Looks great!

Re: funnel arrangement: the only thing I know is that the fourth funnel was shorter than the third. But I couldn't tell you how much. Probably only slightly. There was a progression in height from 1 - 3 and then 4 was smaller than 3. 

Keep up the good work!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hello everyone.......and thanks for the kind comments!  I got past this work week........a few bumps along the way.  I can tell ya that my knees aren't what they used to be.  this morning the right knee was pretty stiff!

in looking at the arrangement of the funnels,  I favor the second one as well.   I'm going with that one  :)   

John:  yes,  the black parts go on the top.  I really like the black I mixed for the hull.......I'm going to use it to imitate the soot  :)

David B:   though I don't use it,  Vallejo may be too thick to spray right out of the bottle.  a friend of mine uses Windex to thin it.....gives it a faster dry time.  I asked him why he doesn't simply use a little alcohol.......but he's a good 'ole boy....stuck in his ways.  not a bad paint from what I hear.

Nigel:  thanks for the vote.....I marked them from the first time I tried to match the height.  with wood builds I pop the parts out of the panels.....I have no problems with forgetting {or getting confused} where parts go.   I forgot how important this is with plastic builds.  I was going to show this picture....mainly because the part number is printed on the underside,  but I was going to use this plastic to fix a manufacturer's oversight with this kit.

post-612-0-87004700-1438751602.jpg

this is the bow - gun deck from the United States build.   now this plastic is about 1/8 thick.......I may have something a bit thinner.   I tell ya more about this when I make the fix.  if anyone who isn't used to working with plastic,  decides to do so,  please........do not remove anything from the sprues until your ready to use them  :D  :D   ******OR*******  if your left hand know what your right hand is doing  ;)

Ben:  yepper.......aware of the funnel height.  my taking them off the sprues because  "hey,  I can cement two pieces of plastic together"  is what started all the confusion in the first place  :D    I'm going with the second arrangement......the shortest one is first  :)

Lawrence:   buddy.........you can't even "buy" that much fun!

Sam:  not sure about a false funnel......I'll have to look into that  ;)     I did read something though....

I hope this update will be a big push forward.....I'm itching bad to get into a wood build.......>scratch<>scratch<.....I even resorted to playing around with that 'back burner project' just to smell a little sawdust!  so,   on with the update!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

very happy to finally get back to the table!   a bit unsettled outside at the moment.....and the admiral informed me that the lawns didn't grow an inch,  since I last mowed them.   I'll take that as gospel......amen brother!  ;)

as I mentioned earlier.....I have another idea about the fore and aft ends of the raised decks......you might recall that they don't exactly match up to the boat deck.   port and starboard sides are fine though.........so I need to make pieces to close the gaps up.   I was going to use a section of deck from the U.S. build,  but I may have something thinner........I'll get back to this later  ;)   I did begin with these two sections of decking though.......populating them with parts and added detail,  that only this kit can offer.  followed the instructions too.........that was a big help  :D  :D

I envy you Nils........when you do your funnels,  you'll be able to add in the lower tether lines,  shown in pictures Peter posted for you.  I have already cemented some of the structure roofs in place...can't do it now  :(   it would have been very easy to do.   so I added some parts to the first raised deck,  and painted the ladders flat black.  these ladders are black.....the other ones that the passengers use are white with teak handrails

post-612-0-99193400-1438753555.jpg

post-612-0-50930300-1438753572.jpg

the second raised deck got the same.....added structure parts and vents......ladders painted flat black.

post-612-0-50915200-1438753662.jpg

post-612-0-84369600-1438753685.jpg

the structure furthest aft on the boat deck requires this little hut.......walls flat white with light gulf gray roof.  I'm going to use the Light gulf gray for the life boat canvas.   these two go on top of the first structure.

post-612-0-54181700-1438754055.jpg

this the structure,  furthest aft on the boat deck.   I made a paint adjustment to it and shaded in the vents

post-612-0-98226100-1438754219.jpg

the first raised deck section got even more populated,  with vents and such......a couple I even had to do some of that shading to the grids.

post-612-0-62650900-1438754400.jpg

post-612-0-44874300-1438754418.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I had done this a week ago in one of my short visits to the table........I began to make the railing for the A deck / aft.   I also cemented the bench that got knocked off.......and added a few more.

post-612-0-62049000-1438754593.jpg

some paint touch ups were done to the first section on the boat deck.......the life boats were cemented in place.   these are the first two,  to go on the model.

post-612-0-89565400-1438754776.jpg

from here,  it was populated further..........

post-612-0-04368100-1438754866.jpg

this is the cavity for the first raised section.......keen to note that there are no fore and aft walls.  they put tabs on the deck parts,  expecting that to suffice..........not even close  ;)    vents are added.

post-612-0-30177700-1438755080.jpg

this is the second raised deck cavity.......did some paint work here.   I painted where the dome glass will go......but I thought I'd shoot myself in the foot by cementing the mid structure in place.  might be tough to get the cover part for the dome,  on there.   I still have to make that other cover structure for the first dome.   I better get a move on.

post-612-0-55173200-1438755051.jpg

it's official.......the two funnels are permanent......cemented in place!   other sections are simply dry fitted.

post-612-0-45452500-1438755532.jpg

the second dome has been  cemented in place.......a few other parts as well.   some of the structures are still dry fit due to easy removal of those raised decks.   this has to be done in sequence.

post-612-0-62908400-1438755669.jpg

last but not least.........the overall view.    the aft end is still a little bare.   I'm finishing up with tying and cementing the last few bits of rigging cables.......and deciding which size thread to use.   I will try to get this deck fully laid out by tomorrow's belle.......perhaps even the deck repairs........whoa baby!  :D  :)

post-612-0-70121900-1438756015.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

You have changed my mind about plastics. Your log and work is fantastic. Maybe, just maybe, I might do a plastic for myself. Keep the log coming mate.

Havagooday

Greg

Hi Denis

Greg's views on plastic kits are almost identical to mine and you've changed mine by the same magnitude as well.  Admittedly, the last time I made a plastic kit was probably 40 years or more ago, when we were all young whipper snappers in Primary School (I think you guys call it Elementary School?).

Anyhow, each time I check your log, I'm struck by the complexity of this model's construction and your dedication to making sure every detail is spick and span and precise.  Nicely done!

I definitely have a new found respect for plastic models and I have your efforts to attribute this to.

I'll continue to follow along eagerly.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Oh boy, here we go with the fun stuff.  You make the details look easy.  Damned, you're good at this Popeye!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You continue to impress Dennis, and you're giving the attention to detail that this "old lady" deserves.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

thanks for the kind words and the likes everyone.........it's been a few years now since I've touched a plastic kit.   glad to see that at least some of my techniques are coming back. 

jee Gray........does this mean I still can't be envious of you?   I'll go out on a limb here  ......can you send me a copy of the parts diagrams......the ones that are in the back pages of the instructions.  I am sooooo curious.   love to see the instructions for the warrior as well......but time will tell  ;)

you know Patrick.........I used to think that building wood kits would be harder that plastic.   I was soooo wrong!   there is a bit of finesse that is required for the plastic medium,  that can be relaxed a bit with the wood medium.   these are both great mediums in their-selves.......to master them both can really round out a well seasoned modeler.    you folks flatter me.........I have my flaws.   I enjoy myself too much to worry about the small stuff........I'll figure it out as I go along  :)

thank you all........got a birthday party to go to that I forgot about........I'd better get working on the next update!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had a  'first'  today........I've never seen this happen before.   this update is a bit fractured,  because some of the pictures didn't come out.   I'll tell ya all about it as I go along........

I am going to repair the short comings in the raised decks.........in looking at the aft deck,  the gaps are very hard to see,  so I just glued it down.    the aft section roofs have been cable rigged......I dry fitted them to show you.   first was to paint the fore and aft walls flat white

post-612-0-75873200-1438818183.jpg

post-612-0-32827200-1438818096.jpg

here are a couple pictures to show how much of a gap there is.......of course,  the first two are a poor example,  since the deck is not seated all the way.   one of the walls is somewhat pulled away from the boat deck...I will need to spread it out so it touches the deck and glue it.

post-612-0-03854100-1438818459.jpg

post-612-0-30505400-1438818471.jpg

post-612-0-52241200-1438818483.jpg

here's what happened......I decided to use clear cello to shim the fore and aft walls out.   anyone who has worked with plastic cement,  knows what it does to clear parts.......it can turn it white and marr the surface.  I had pictures of this,  but those were the ones that were blurry.   after the glue had dried,  I began to trim the newly grafted parts,  so these walls would fit in the cavity.   all of a sudden......one of them popped off!  when I examined the part I had made  {after finding it},  I found that the cement did not turn it white.  nor did it adhere to the part,  either!    thinking that it was the type of plastic it's made of....the lack of cement-ability,  I quickly though of another type of thin plastic to use instead.   I still had some of the plastic {vacuum form parts} from the Guillow's Spitfire build,  so I cut some thin strips and used it.

post-612-0-81000600-1438819603.jpg

while I was waiting for this to dry,  I began with the railings for the second raised deck.

post-612-0-90475400-1438819745.jpg

when dry,  the repairs were trimmed and painted flat white

post-612-0-39407600-1438819788.jpg

post-612-0-20335400-1438819822.jpg

then the raised deck was cemented in place...it needed to be clamped down

post-612-0-37939400-1438819902.jpg

post-612-0-39826300-1438819918.jpg

I had cemented the structure furthest aft,  in place at this time...........more of the railing was also added.

post-612-0-73943300-1438820010.jpg

I'll try and get some more done this evening........stay tuned  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Glad you came up with a quick-fix for the shimming problem Dennis. That's quick thinking on your feet, and running with it. She's coming together nicely. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

thanks Lawrence and George......I'll get this build done one way or another  ;)   thanks also to those who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This is really impressive for a plastic model. Plenty of parts and looks like it was formed well. Lots of thought went into creating this kit and I am sure it will look really good when done.

For my billings one, I bought the after market planked decks (over 10,000 planks represented). Also bought photo etched parts for extra benches, chairs, all the potholes, etc. The billings had no port holes below the main deck and several other items were needed. To get everything shipped from Dr Hahn in Germany cost $900.00. Knowing how much you try to get things right, just think how much the admiral saved you by buying your kit. Plus, think of how many hours (years?) of modeling you have saved. Plus, yours will be easy to display. I will have to widen my mantel and extend both ends.

Could not agree more. Like Patrick, the last plastic model that I put together was about 40 years ago as well.

Times has changed a lot and the plastic kits are very very impressive now.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I have to keep reminding myself how tiny those parts really are....  amazing work, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the good word and the likes....I really appreciate you folks cheering me on.  part of my continuance tonight has been touching up all the glue marks and stuff.  I am reminded just how annoying they are.  ;)

thanks Ed......give my favorite reader a big hug for me,  will ya  :)   she'll be happy to find that there is a second part  ;)

very true Greg......I have a website bookmarked that sells the older kits.......before they sported rivets or body lines.   it's like a trip down memory lane  :)

thanks Mark........the subject for this update is just that......a bunch of small parts.   I'm not as steady as I used to be  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's time to work on getting all the structures on the deck now.   parts that have already been assembled...time to get 'em off the table and where they're supposed to be.   I had placed one pair of cranes already........I placed a couple more pairs on the stern section.  the last pair will go on the A deck,  once that railing is finished.

post-612-0-34147500-1438834887.jpg

the first raised deck is still being held down with clamps.   the structure that sandwiches it in was cemented in place at this time.

post-612-0-01514000-1438834990.jpg

the second raised deck and the structure behind it are somewhat joined together.   these two areas were done together and fitted with the railings,  vents,  and the piping that connects them.  the funnel was cemented in place soon afterwards.

post-612-0-30028400-1438835272.jpg

post-612-0-09698200-1438835298.jpg

post-612-0-45513300-1438835313.jpg

all four funnels are in place........the dilemma is over  ;)  :D   there is only one structure left to populate,  and that one is connected to the third funnel,  so they will need to be done together....

post-612-0-22229700-1438835900.jpg

post-612-0-89260900-1438837331.jpg

the first raised deck was next  to get fitted with it's railing.  any parts associated with it was also cemented in place.

post-612-0-08195400-1438837497.jpg

post-612-0-92913000-1438837513.jpg

the railings for the aft end of A deck was cemented in place.   these railings are assembled from small segments.....a bit too small to simply assemble and create the complete railing.   I'll cement them on,  one piece at a time.

post-612-0-49070700-1438837705.jpg

there!  a lot got done today........hopefully ,  more tomorrow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

There must be a better word than fiddly, I'm tired and I can't think, so:

The work you have done is very fiddly! There said it. Please others, help me to find a correct word.

Bloody marvellous job mate.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Denis

There must be a better word than fiddly, I'm tired and I can't think, so:

The work you have done is very fiddly! There said it. Please others, help me to find a correct word.

Bloody marvellous job mate.

Havagooday

Greg

Greg,

I would say 'challenging' for arduous is a bit heavy, and Pops likes a challenge as you can see in all his builds. Sometimes it's enough to watch him thunder on ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking really good. The boat deck is certainly recognizable as the Titanic's now!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

It is becoming a great build, 

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

thanks for the kind comments and the likes  :)   today,  I think I dropped more parts,  than I have during the whole build combined.  I didn't lose any though!

the railings are a pain.......some of the segments are really tiny.   I want to rig the funnels,  but I can't do it unless the railings are all done.......so I gotta wait till then.   I have more done.....but I'll wait till later to see if I can go further.  

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the build....... :)

Thanks for the good word Daniel  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis you are a born "Modeller"........... excellent!!work, those small parts can be a b----!!!!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I think summer took a vacation.........kinda cool the last couple of mornings.   spent a lot of time on that aft railing........one part broke and I had to fix it.  these are very delicate parts

the thought is still there Patrick,  although there are some things I'm not pleased about.   not all of the areas will be lit.....this is the biggie.  the hull in my opinion,  is a bit too thick........with the lighting test I did,  not all of the holes were visible like I wanted them to be.   as for not blocking the light filtration through the walls.......well,  I think the outer bulwark shell would hide some of that.   the main thing is that the three sections are not cemented to the hull yet,  so there is still the chance......the door is not totally closed to the idea  ;)

to Frank:

ah.....the life of a modeler

been this way,  since we were toddlers

we started with blocks

the parents in shock

it got worse when we started to walk!

I did more Frank,  but it started getting stupid,  so I gave up.   I know your sentiment....I thank you for that :wub:      I was glad to see YOUR last update,  good to see your still visiting the table........there is never any rush!   we are modelers.......that's what we do ;)   I'm not sure if it's a defective gene in our DNA,  that makes us do what we do........some folks look at us and shake their heads.  all I can say,  is that if a lot more folks practiced the medium,  there would be a lot less trouble in the world.  here are some things that would be different,  if modeling took over the world..........

1)  TV would die out.......that is,  unless there were a lot of modeling shows on. 

2)  commercials would cease to exist.....if the tele died,  no one would see them anyway.  but,  it would be a boon for model Expo and places like that,  if programming took a flip  ;)

3)  travel demographics would see an upswing.........more folks would be taking trips to view the subjects they're modeling

4)  here's a biggie!   there would be MORE hobby shops!

5)  and perhaps the biggest one would be.......the admirals would always know where we are  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So model building is a genetic defect?  That explains it !!!!!  Instead of dreaming about ruling the world, we dream about a new tool or how we're going to get the margin planks in.  

Carry on, mate.....we're all enjoying seeing her blossom.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

got a bit more done yesterday....the railings took most of it though.   I also began to add the pipe work to the funnels,  which will also put some emphasis on funnel #3.  I didn't get that far though.   the port side of the four funnels.......

post-612-0-57173600-1438953072.jpg

post-612-0-50208700-1438953095.jpg

the starboard side of funnel #1 got a couple of pipes added.

post-612-0-26933200-1438953217.jpg

this is the better one........picture #3 was blurry.   I still need to touch up the railings,  but the A deck railing is complete

post-612-0-20624800-1438953306.jpg

I'll see what I can get done today  ;)   thanks all for looking in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Not only are you good with the tools , you are pretty good with the words too!! ;)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)