Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

I somehow suspect there is a lot more turning going on in the background than you are letting on Rusty! ;)

Thank you all for stopping by and the likes.

Thanks Dubz.

Mark I wouldn't want to be standing next to when it was fired let alone be down range

when she let loose!

Thanks Bob I am really happy with how she looks.

Hi Grant. Sorry to disappoint but I played with one 1/2" dowel while waiting for the rod to arrive.

Now I will make a confession. Machine equipment is no stranger to me. When I was a

young'in I had training in machining engines. I could bore an engine block, hone a cylinder

or machine a head to a couple of thousandths. I just never played with a lathe. Also it's

been 37 plus years since I used any of that equipment  so I wasn't sure if any feel was left.

Now all you lathe users I have a bit of a bone to pick with you! No one ever mentioned how

messy these things are. Now I'm no neat freak by any means but man it makes a mess.

post-43-0-87624900-1392950185_thumb.jpg

Here is a the cannon barrel turned to the correct taper .

post-43-0-37611400-1392950189_thumb.jpg

And here it is completed except I have now realized that I don't have a cut off tool!

post-43-0-57627300-1392950182_thumb.jpg

Oh goody something new to get! I can see where this can be very addictive. :P  :D  ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Messy????  I don't see a mess.  I see a productive workspace.  :rolleyes:

Use your smallest cutting tool as a cut off tool for now.  Hate to see you twiddling your thumbs and wanting to make some metal shavings.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, I guess I'm very productive then cause I've surely made a mess.

No thumb twiddling going on here although work has gotten in the way a bit. As

suggested I cut as deep as I could and the used a jewelers blade to finish the cut.

Here is the first barrel painted and just set in the carriage.

post-43-0-17196300-1393161727_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-74996600-1393161725_thumb.jpg

Now comes the fun part! Trying to duplicate a second barrel that comes close to the first. :huh: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very nice.  Certainly worth the hailstorm of metal shavings. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work  Rusty.  Somewhere around here is series of photos showing a Sherline set up with a homemade duplicator, but darned if I can find it.  I'll have to search the Scratch Builds...  Yeah.. more toys. :)

Edit... nope not a Sherline but a Unimat... same principle would apply:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/410-hms-sphynx-by-alex-m-scale-148-english-20-gun-frigate-as-build-1775/?p=5559

Re-edit:  ok.. here's the Sherline version: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/198-hms-atalanta-by-tlevine-1775-148-scale-from-tffm-plans/?p=82667

Re-re-edit:  Here's a link to one you can buy: http://www.vanda-layindustries.com/html/duplicator.html

Ever have one of those days when everything is a do-over?  Hopefully this will be my last for the day...err... week.  Maybe.

Edited by mtaylor
Added edits

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Augie and Ben!

Hi Mark,

Yes toys I mean tools are great! I can see where a duplicator would be a god send!

Edit...Though it's not a Sherline the Unimat link was very informative.

Re-edit: Sherline version is great too.

Re-re-edit: Vanda-lay link will save me a bunch of searching.

Re-re-re edit: Do-over's. It seems everyday has to many do-overs!

Thanks Joe.

druxey, the design and execution is a bit over my head at this point but maybe in the future. :)

Ok here is the result of the duplication. An acceptable job. Not perfect but they won't be

right next to each other so all should be good.

post-43-0-13375600-1393290643_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-61566000-1393290644_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

Druxey is right.  With your skills, you make one. I think the Sherline and Unimat are "close" as far as what would be needed.

As for do-overs... Rats!!! This means every day is Groundhog Day. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice job with the "Rusty Duplicator"! ;) Looks like you're really enjoying that creative tax deduction Rusty. :)

Groundhog Day. Now that is one dam movie I never like. Excellent work your doing Rusty. So you have to do something over, it's not like it will be the first time, and now your learning more how to turn with the lathe. This is suppose to be fun, enjoy it. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks Mark, Grant and Joe.

It would be my luck to get stuck in a groundhogs day that was really horrid and have to live it over and over and over again!

Now I have to get that accountant to figure out how to get all the cool accessories like a duplicator!

No new news from the shop. I have to still mount the barrels and rig them and make the base. That and a good cleaning

should just about finish her up.

I also had started doing the base work on what was going to be my next build. I was going back to the light for a bit and build the

FLY for my grandson. He saw it on the shelf and really liked it. So I have been doing a bit of work on that for him when I

was presented with a Dark Side opportunity I just couldn't pass up. 

So now that I have been cruel and thrown out that teaser I am preparing to post the new build log here in the scratch build

section by this weekend.

Sorry gotta head of to work now.  :P

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you E&T.

Ok Ben.... you should have excused yourself. :D You had insider information! :P

Yes Chuck has graciously allowed me access to the Winnie and I will be starting her shortly.

As this will be a long slow build while he continues to design her I will try to complete the Fly

at the same time. Gotta keep the Grand kids happy you know! ;) 

I have completed the stand. I made it out of some Maple I had available.

post-43-0-22588400-1393629352_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-73609000-1393629354_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26683300-1393629357_thumb.jpg

I kept the dowels low on the stand so they wouldn't cover the frame work. Now I just have to put

on a couple of coats of sealer and I can set the cross section in it.

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Winchelsea is a real beauty.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie, Ben and Paddy.

Well I'm barreling down the home stretch and speaking of barreling I have mounted the barrels

to their carriages and will be putting them in place once I'm back in town.

post-43-0-74451000-1393852171_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-33582400-1393852173_thumb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All. Well the infamous "set up" ;)  has been completed and I finally got my lazy

butt in gear and took some pictures of the finished bomb vessel.  

It has been a great "little" project that I had a lot of fun with. I hope you enjoyed it too.

Thank you for all your comments and likes. It means more than I can express. B) 

post-43-0-47477900-1398815456_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-28691700-1398815448_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-61097800-1398815450_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-58331300-1398815452_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-88788400-1398815454_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-17374000-1398815458_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48643400-1398815460_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-21069100-1398815462_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-55821800-1398815465_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-86801700-1398815463_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Beautiful work, Rusty.  Congrats on finishing her as she looks super.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That is really one spectacular piece of work.  You deserve to be very proud.

WELL DONE, MATE!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Beautiful build. Congratulations on completing your Bomb Vessel. I am glad that I got to see it at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show. You have to see it in person to realize its size.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat