Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

Thanks Augie, I can't imagine the shock wave that thing put out when fired!

Here are the two side covers made and in place with even some saw

dust slipping in the picture. Everything still needs a finished sanding and

then the coat of wipe on polly.

post-43-0-24213200-1400271026_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-14807800-1400271028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Absolutely sterling work rusty.!

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Hi Rusty.

Everyone has said it already...  just to add another word about your build MAGIC.

Regards Antony

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

I would imagine that firing that gun would add a new meaning to "shiver me timbers" and hope like hell that the fuse on the shell isn't a short one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Joe, Colin and Antony,  Thanks for the kind words!

Mark

I would imagine that firing that gun would add a new meaning to "shiver me timbers" and

hope like hell that the fuse on the shell isn't a short one

That would be the start of a "really bad day". ;) 

Here is the framing for the canopy. In the first picture you can see how it

sets into the slots cut into the bulkhead.

post-43-0-00881100-1400271145_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-78976700-1400271150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty the workmanship looks really sharp, which also leads me to question the sharp edges on the corners of the cleats, will you be rounding them off a bit or are they meant to look squarish?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Realy wonderful. I like the combination of your timber colors

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The cleats on the rail that are really squarish looking were made just as the plans have them drawn.

They are listed as a kevel cleat. I'm unsure if I will leave them looking new and unused or I will pop

them off and give them some sanding.

Thanks Christian. Playing with different woods  was one of the most fun parts.

Ok the hatch covers have been completed, sanded and one coat of wipe on poly applied.

She's now ready for the open sea! That would be if there was cannon aboard. :huh:

post-43-0-44763300-1390826197_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-47584200-1390826199_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Jan, I'll have to get a guard who will break fingers if anyone tries to open the covers! :D

Grant I have to payeth the tax man first then we can order the lathe so sayeth the Admiral. ;)

Thank you Dirk. That mean a lot to me. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I think you are in need of a creative accountant Rusty, one who could turn your lathe into a tax deduction! :D

Thank you all for stopping by for a look and all the likes!

Grant, "Creative Accounting" here usually comes with free room and board for 5 to 10 years. :o 

Not to worry the lathe will be here eventually.

I have received a notification from the author of the plans that there was a slight error. The

cannon were drawn at the wrong size. The new sheet of plans was received and you can see

the difference below. Good news is that I haven't made the barrels so nothing lost there and

I will get some more practice making the carriages today. :) 

post-43-0-81602100-1391354394_thumb.jpg

Also I have made the ladder but it is just set in place for now. I want to be able to remove it

for when I rig the cannon.

post-43-0-50938200-1391354396_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, It's been a bit since my last post. Life, sub zero temperatures and feet of snow

have all conspired to slow me down. Well the lathe has arrived and the learning curve

is steep but the Sherline is a truly fine lathe. Thanks all for talking me into it.

I tinkered around turning some scraps trying to figure out what I was doing and one

mortar has been made. More coats of paint are needed and then it will be mounted

to the carriage.

post-43-0-03116000-1392582942_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48670600-1392582943_thumb.jpg

The new carriages have also been made. Here is a comparison between the two.

post-43-0-51723400-1392582940_thumb.jpg

After that the fun continues when I have to try and figure out how to turn two

cannon barrels. Well not only do I have to make two but for some reason they

have to match. Hmmmmm........... :huh: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty.

Very nice work on the mortar. Looks spot on :)

Not the easy to duplicate something on a lathe..

Start stop,,check,,start stop,, check. Measuring stick to hand.

If using same tool you can always stops for each end of cut. Between the headstock and the saddle.

Can do a drawing if wanted :)

I have a digital readout on my slides so was not to hard.

Carriages look excellent ..

I have made my carriages with two types of timber.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

First time on a lathe????   <walks over to bench... tosses lathe in trash>   Sweet looking mortar.  Wood?  Brass?   Enquiring minds and all that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hats off?????  I just pulled my hair out.  That is seriously incredible.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank you all. :blush:

Hi Bob, The lathe arrived last Wednesday and I played with some scrap wood until the rod arrived Friday

afternoon. I sent several hours in the shop Saturday getting used to it. I must say the quality of the chucks,

cutters and lathe make it much easier.

Antony. Calipers, rulers pencils and any other items I think I may need are on hand. Unfortunately no digital

readout on the slides.

LOL Mark, beginners luck! Not wood or brass. It's 1 1/2" nylon rod. I was going to use that for practice but it

worked so nice I kept it. The cannon barrels will be aluminum rod. The nylon rod is too flexible at  5/8" diameter.

Thanks druxey and Augie, As I said beginners luck and good tools.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty Beginners luck or not, a very nice job of turning a complex shape. I am curious about the colour, is the nylon painted and if so what with?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael. The rod is a dirty cream color. I painted it with with regular acrylic paint. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Glad to hear the accountant came good

I had to threaten her a bit but in the end the funds were available and that’s what counts!  LOL :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

See you were born to be turning stuff. :D

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Ben and Floyd!

Putting aside the temptation to stick every piece of wood, plastic and metal in

the lathe and "turn it" I've placed the mortar in it's carriage.

Here she is set to be stowed.

post-43-0-85203500-1392822846_thumb.jpg

And here it is set in firing position.

post-43-0-72117800-1392822848_thumb.jpg

Now I can move on and attempt to turn some cannon barrels!!!!!!! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Great looking mortar.  I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that monster.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: