USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by captainbob - FINISHED - 1:96

Ken, thanks for the camouflage color information.  The Pequot was a Coast Guard boat that worked up and down the east coast of the US in the ports and bays. I don't think it was ever camouflaged.  The black and white pictures show it always had a dark hull and a white deckhouse.   

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob, according to my friends at our local USCG station, today's color scheme is black hull with white cabin for "working" boats, e.g. tugs, buoy tenders, ice breakers,  etc and white hull with white cabin for Search & Rescue (SAR) and Law Enforcement boat. The Polar Ice Breakers are a red hull.

Thanks Jack.  That clarifies things.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Darn Bob, how did I miss this thread over the past few months. The Pequot sure is a substantial looking work boat. Would

love to see something like this in kit form. Judging from your past builds this will surely be a museum piece. I'll be visiting the

shipyard often to watch her come together.  

John

Bob, in addition to the color scheme, all USCG boats 65 feet or longer are called Cutters and given a name as well as a hull number. Boats less than 65 feet in length are just given a hull number and the first two digits of the number give you the hull length, e.g. 44nnn is a 44 ft, 36nnn is a 36 ft, etc. Starting in WW II all Coast Guard cutters were designed with the letter W followed by a alphanumeric scheme to distinguish them from US Navy vessels. This applies to both black hull and white hull boats. Some of the newer special purpose boats have orange hulls but these are generally less than 30 ft boats, example, the Rigid Hull Inflatables used for harbor security and similar functions.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jack.  I guess the Pequot at 166 feet hadn't gotten around to adding the 'W' to it's number as of May 1944.  Or maybe the 'W' was a book keeping thing and not necessarily shown on the boat.

Bob

post-513-0-42649500-1453132195.jpg

Bob, here's the link to the Coast Guard Historian's web page where I found the information. And here's a link to a PDF file listing all the hull numbers including your boat. Their site says the W designation started in 1942, but not sure how long it took to implement fleet wide. Nice photo of her in 1944.

Back then, those change orders took longer to implement, since all the paperwork and new paints usually moved via surface mail. And then the bases may not have had the correct materials handy to implement the changes. On top of that, the vessel may only get worked on at scheduled intervals. I've read research on the ship's colors during WW II and these changes weren't done very quickly. :(

And having worked for my Uncle Sam more recently, we experienced similar delays with equipment and paint changes. It took four years to get the Viet Nam era paint scheme used on tactical fighters to what some folks called a European scheme. It got rid of the pale gray bellies and wrapped the green and sand colors over the bottoms of our jets.

Don't forget, all this stuff is done by the lowest bidder. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Ah research.  We do research before we start building and then do more research as we build.  That’s when we discover things that make us change part of our build that we have already done.  Hopefully we don’t have to start over.  In this case all I have to do is remove the aluminum tape with the rivets.  It turns out the rivets used on the Pequot, except for the rivets in the stem post, are flat head rivets and smooth on the outside.  Also in post #99 you can see a plate added to the hull.  It turns out the hull was enlarged in that area on both sides.  I was not able to find a reason.  Anyway now I have to add a box to both sides of the hull all because of research.   On the other hand, if we did not do the research our models would not be correct.

Other than that I put together the basics of the cabins and placed them in position.

Bob

post-513-0-39640800-1454800333_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-49362900-1454800342_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-16325600-1454800351_thumb.jpg

Bob, Been there done that ! I stopped work on a model and stripped it back to the main deck . Some research showed up that had showed me how some things where wrong.

Your build is looking good!

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

totally agree Bob.......you've made some super progress.  how far do the plate{s} jut out?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ah research. We do research before we start building and then do more research as we build. That’s when we discover things that make us change part of our build that we have already done. Hopefully we don’t have to start over. In this case all I have to do is remove the aluminum tape with the rivets. It turns out the rivets used on the Pequot, except for the rivets in the stem post, are flat head rivets and smooth on the outside. Also in post #99 you can see a plate added to the hull. It turns out the hull was enlarged in that area on both sides. I was not able to find a reason. Anyway now I have to add a box to both sides of the hull all because of research. On the other hand, if we did not do the research our models would not be correct.

Other than that I put together the basics of the cabins and placed them in position.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_1483.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1485.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1487.JPG

Hi Bob

Notwithstanding some minor redo's, as you've mentioned, I have to say that the mock up of the superstructure gives a real sense of the beauty and charm of the design. I can see why you were attracted to building her.

She's gonna look great.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Interesting choice Bob, and a build I will surely follow.  My guess is you went to the eye doctor to get the A-OK before deciding on the scale.  There is no way I could work on a 1:200 scale model.  Just thinking about the Pequot's size has me squinting. LOL

edit: I went further in the log and saw you changed to  1:96 scale.  Good choice, and your eyes will thank you!

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

John, thanks for the encouraging words.

Steamschooner, that’s what makes this hobby both fun and interesting.

Popeye, I don’t know.  Here’s another view.  From the size of the men on deck It could be 18 – 24”.  But then do the rub rails and bulwarks move out to match that distance?  It’s hard to tell.

post-513-0-28136300-1454867300_thumb.jpg

Yes Patrick, I just hope the model is as good looking as the pictures.

Tom, I agree.  I’d be squinting too.  As it is she measures about 20” long, a good size for me.

OK.  More research.  Why do they have to alter boats?  I forgot the boat I am building is the boat pictured in the first entry of this thread.  That was before the hull was modified.  I’m sure glad I didn’t already make that change.  But I still think it was an interesting modification and wonder why.

Bob

good work Bob,

nice progress on this beautiful "scratch build" steamship....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob,

Are there any drawings showing the interior at this area?   I'm wondering if they needed some extra space for the cabling they were laying.  That is a strange looking box though and there appears to be some sort of piping/grating over the top, like a hopper.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Nils, I'm having fun with it.

Sorry Mark, The only drawings are of the original build before it was converted to a cable laying boat.

Bob

the bulwark looks removable in that area as well..........and the single davit.   makes you wonder where the other one is located........perhaps they raise a sort of scaffolding or platform along the side.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I believe this might shed some light.

post-612-0-20283300-1455045098.gif

I think that's the outcropping from the deck.   I also found a couple sites......I wonder if you have them bookmarked.

http://freeshipplans.com/free-model-ship-plans/passenger-ship-plans/uscg-pequot-general-samuel-mills-plans/

http://indicatorloops.com/usn_pequot_plans.htm

this particular one has quite a bit of info.  there is also a timeline in regards to her looks at different times.  I hope this helps.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This is the website that tells it all.  It was put up by chipaz in phoenix.  His father served on the Pequot and I'm sending him pictures as I build.   

http://indicatorloops.com/usn_pequot_plans.htm

There are complete plans for the Samuel Mills which was turned over to the Coast Guard and converted into the Pequot. 

Bob

that's the second link I listed......I think the rigging plans for the booms are cool.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Why do they have to alter boats?  I forgot the boat I am building is the boat pictured in the first entry of this thread.  That was before the hull was modified.  I’m sure glad I didn’t already make that change.  But I still think it was an interesting modification and wonder why.

Bob

The sarcastic answer is that they alter boats to keep the Naval Architects busy trying to catch up. Actually a prominent issue with fishing boats:

Fishing boat operator: "Hey, Naval Architect, I just added 3 Long Tons of gear to the top of the mast. But I'm still good to load up all the fish I want, right?"

Naval Architect: "What?! Why would you do that? That raises your center of gravity 3 inches, and you barely passed your intact stability requirements before. Ok, let me do another week's worth of troubleshooting to develop a new loading plan...."

Fishing boat operator: "But we need to leave tomorrow!"

This isn't a specific example, but it's not too much of an exaggeration either...

P.S. - the boat is looking great!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Popeye, The three booms with all the rigging would be quite a challenge but when she was converted to the Pequot they only left one.  Oh well, Maybe the Gen. Samuel Mills will get built someday. 

Good story Ben.  I guess the better question, for me, is why do I keep being distracted with the modifications that were not on the model I am building?  I have to keep in mind, I am building the version that is pictured in the overhead shot at the start.

Bob

Not much since last time but here's some new pics.

Bob

post-513-0-87762100-1455583439_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-41727600-1455583450_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-96656800-1455583459_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-60303300-1455583467_thumb.jpg

She is looking quite sharp Bob

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

good progress Bob,

superstructure and wheelhouse looks great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Michael, John, Patrick and Nils,  Thanks for all the encouragement. 

Bob