Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

I'm going to plank the upper deck while it's mounted to the model as I did the lower deck rather than doing it off the model like suggested in the instruction booklet. I know, I'm a rebel hahahahahaha.

Now I knew there was a use for those dumb bells besides door stops.

mike

post-13395-0-10187600-1453413091_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-14459300-1453413096_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

Yup - A rebel that goes where Angels fear to tread Mike!  :D  :D  :D As long as it keeps getting good results, following the "guide book" to the letter is optional.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Mike those bulkhead filler blocks are going to make life easier when you get around to planking. Thanks for sharing.

Best, Ian

Mike those bulkhead filler blocks are going to make life easier when you get around to planking. Thanks for sharing.

Best, Ian

I know what you mean. The bulkheads are so thin on this kit compared to others that I have built at this size. So I figure it wouldn't hurt give myself some added planking area.

mike

That's turning out real nice, Mike. 

I once owned that kit some years ago, then sold it when I needed to relocate some inventory in my garage. Wish I had kept it along with a number of other, hard to find model ship kits. The price of those have gone up quite a bit since I first bought one years ago.

Regards

Craig

Your right Craig, this kit is not an easy kit to find in the US. I was fortunate to have been able to pick it up on the Classifieds forum here on MSW for like $300.00 and it usually retails for around $800.00. So when I saw it posted, I couldn't resist especially since this will be a donation project to possibly a local hospital or something when completed and with the funds coming out of pocket for me, the cheaper the better.

mike

Edited by mtdoramike

I got a little planking done on the top deck, but it still just doesn't seem to be the right size planking for this size ship.

I now kind of wish that I had replaced the deck planking which is 1mmx3mm strips to maybe 1mmx4mm strips. But, maybe it will grow on me.

But with planking this small, there will not be any need to really go crazy about detailing because it will not be that noticeable.

But we'll see on that issue.

post-13395-0-22050000-1453593804_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-26245800-1453593809_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-23805000-1453593814_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-38147100-1453593818_thumb.jpg

It might vary from country to country with ship-building practices too. I don't know! The ship I was referring to is the Constitution, so maybe the Montanes was a different time-period/country and had different  ship-building practices?

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Seeing the quality beginnings of this build is making me consider throwing the Montanes into the hat as a next build project.  Nice and neat job Mike.

Tom

Since you have the kits Tom, I wouldn't hesitate. So far a pleasure to work with.

mike

Mike,

Actually I don't have any "next" kits yet.  I need to finish building the display for my just finished Constellation before I can start another... Admiral's orders.  Just planning and wishing right now.  :D   Keep up the good work.

Tom

You are doing a fine job on the planking Mike, I think the scale of the planks looks just fine. :)