Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

I have started then standing rigging from the bowsprit back, but haven't been able to do a lot since I have been battling a bout of Pmonia for the past couple of weeks, which has left me a might weak. The last two days have been the best I have felt in a couple of weeks for sure.

mike

I'm back baby. I'm not quite up to a rutting buck standard, but I'm doing much better. At least I don't feel like my chest is going to explode each time I coughed. 

Here are a couple of pics of the little work I have been able to do on the Monte. I was torn between sails or no sails, but it was really a no brainer because I love to see ships with sails and since I don't have to make my own because OcCre included a fully sewn set of sails in the kit.

mike

post-13395-0-38207800-1481406372_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-34401900-1481406380_thumb.jpg

Glad you are back up and running... or at least jogging. :)  Also glad you opted for sails.  I am a sails guy too.

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I thought for sure I had found a glaring omission with the Monte when I was in the process of sewing on the sails to the yards, I realized there was no lower boom for the lower studding sails aand no mention of them in the instructions or the plans. But upon further research  , I found that there are two ways of doing the studding sails, such as the full studding which is attaached to a boom and the triangle studding sail with the studding being attached to cleats or davits . 

u're sails are great... but without wind it's not realistic!

you could  buy amidon in spray ,and with an hair brush give the  form.

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

2 hours ago, ofencer29350 said:

u're sails are great... but without wind it's not realistic!

you could  buy amidon in spray ,and with an hair brush give the  form.

I have tried that and many other things to try and get lofty sails, but it doesn't work and actually looks like crap. The closest thing I have found to lofty sails is to add wire to the edges of the sails when sewing on the bolt rope and then bend the sails to give them a little shape. But these saails came pre-made. To me, they look realistic as far as a ship being on the water with little to no wind blowing. Had I made the sails which I usually do, I would have made the sails much bigger to encompass a larger area and a thinner material.    

excuse my english i don't know how  called it but perhaps an  iron rope on each side of the sail and one on the center to give it the form...

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

You do realize that the sails are just sitting on the model and have not been tied down? Once they are all attached with running rigging you will get a little more distiction from the sails as tention is applied. Now there used to be a process used years ago using silkspan, hairspray a blow dryer, which gave a little more active looking sail. But collected dust like crazy turned the sails brown after a few years.  

yes i know what you mean.....

it's why i prefer with no sail.

8 hours ago, ofencer29350 said:

yes i know what you mean.....

it's why i prefer with no sail.

That is a matter of preference, I prefer the full sail look myself as well as most of the people who have bought my ship models. Out of 30 or so ship models, I have only built a few without sails and that was mainly because they were commission pieces. It's also quite a bit easier and quicker building without sails, especially if you make your own like I usually do. I have gottten quite good at sewing.

yes it's a matter of preference, ,but i saw lot of beautifull model with great riging,and a look destroyed with a badly sails.

but i'm sure it will not be here ,your montanes look great

Just checking in, I have been doing more sails attaching and some rigging so slow and a bit tedious. The Monte is close to being finished and hopefully within the next month I will have her finished and the closer to being finished I get, the more sad I become. When I started the Monte it was with intentions of donating it, but now my wife likes the model and since It will be my last ship model build, she is wanting to keep it. 

mike