Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale - SMALL

Build part 15

The sheer strake plank was too long to fit into the oven in a comfortable way so I made up a small kitchen top steam box to fit on top of a small saucepan.

A 3/4 inch disc of white pine that fit loosely onto the top of the pan and a box with an inside space that is 1 3/4  inches wide by 1 inch high and 30 inches long with 3 3/32 brass pins to elevate the plank off the floor of the chamber. I also angled it to rise about an inch over the 30 inches

post-202-0-00315900-1452115178_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90290000-1452115178_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-74729400-1452115179_thumb.jpg

While it was steaming I placed a tea-cloth over the slot opening at the high end and steamed for ten minutes.

post-202-0-84766600-1452115180_thumb.jpg

next and this was the part I liked best I just lifted it off the pan and carried it to the model maintaining the heat inside the box.

post-202-0-20491000-1452115182_thumb.jpg

Then opened the lit which just drops on and clamped the sheer-stake onto the model to dry. This is going to be a handy addition.

post-202-0-66359300-1452115183_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael, I like your steam box, nicely done, the planking is looking great, Your build is going together pretty quick. do you plan on letting her sail?

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks for the positive feedback.

build part 16

The progress continues with the bending of the planks working up now from the sheer strake I am finding that about 20 minutes in the steamer then clamping up the plank till the following day seems to be working well, there is a little spring back when the clamps are removed for the final tweaking of the plank before gluing

The picture shows the first plank glued to the sheer strake on the starboard and the opposite sister drying up prior to gluing.

post-202-0-70310500-1452639200_thumb.jpg

The next one is of the second plank on the starboard drying I just took it out of the steam box.

post-202-0-09093200-1452639202_thumb.jpg

This shot is now clearly showing the hull taking form.

post-202-0-40748900-1452639203_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Ah, she's coming together nicely.  Love the curve of the frames.  Herreshoff really designed beautiful boats.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for all the kind comments and likes.

build part 17

The planks are getting rather curved now near the mid point of the bilges, and I keep wishing I had made them just a little thinner. I did cut a bunch that were thinner to begin with but picked up the thicker pile when I originally brought them into the house. I did not realize it until I had glued a couple on.

Proceeding on after shaping the next plank I made a copy for the opposite side

post-202-0-12172300-1453137560_thumb.jpg

and I am cutting them out with the trusty #11

post-202-0-15348000-1453137561_thumb.jpg

taking little scallop type cuts to the line, the grain differential hardness means that it is not easy to cut cleanly in one long cut, so after rough cutting the large waste off leaving some for fine cutting. I use the block plane to finish the convex edge which mates to the previous plank and a sanding stick for the concave edge which winds up being the top new edge. 

post-202-0-13545400-1453137562_thumb.jpg

After matching them I popped one in the steam box.

post-202-0-05248700-1453137563_thumb.jpg

and then after 25 minutes it laid on the frames nicely.

post-202-0-57792400-1453138154_thumb.jpg

It is looking more like a hull now.

Michael

Michael

I am amazed as i read this log.  The solution of steaming has given me courage to think about possibly trying something similar.  I need to figure out how to use wider and thinner planks on my hulls so i can consider letting the planking show through on the outside. Currently I sand the hull smooth and avoid the issue.   Thanks for sharing.  I look forward to watching and learning some more

jon

Looks great Michael, Comming together rather nicely

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Jon, Pete and Patrick, thanks for your kind comments. and thanks to all who added a visit and pushed the like button.

Build part 18

Evened up the gluing to get a better idea of her shape. This planking is quite the learning curve. When I first started the planking on the pilot cutter I had no Idea it would lead to this. I am beginning to feel confident enough now that I will be able to tackle the planking on skipjack with her canoe stern in the spring when I can spend more time in the shop.

post-202-0-85801800-1453296633_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-70033500-1453296634_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-51415800-1453296635_thumb.jpg

Four more planks to go on each side now. I am staring to think about the lead ballast for the keel, I will shape a block of wood then make a plaster mould. I will need to use the tiger torch to melt enough lead to do it in one pour.

Michael

Before going any further I though it might be wise to see how easily the model would come off the building board while I still had access to the ribs on the building formers, a couple of spots were tacked but they came un-tacked with a little coaxing.

post-202-0-76851400-1453300414_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-99887000-1453300415_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-53742600-1453300417_thumb.jpg

Now I am a "happy camper"

Michael

amazing and beautiful lightweight hull Michael,

its great to see how fine the thin frames came off the supporting build frames in excellent condition and shape as you planed it to be. How did you lead the steam into your "steambox", it worked out very well.

One more question : as you are intending to let her into the water later, did you glue the planks edge to edge as well ?  (epoxy / glas fibre reinforced coating planed ?)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks really nice Michael, I am looking forward to seeing the Keel pour 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Good morning Nils, the steam into the box is very simple a hole in the lid that fits on top of the saucepan is all there is.

post-202-0-55498000-1453304073_thumb.jpg

The steam is slowed down from escaping by the tea towel over the end where the slot is for the steam to escape

post-202-0-62554600-1453304074_thumb.jpg

I have edge glued all the planks. I have never used any of the epoxy coatings, I will need to look into that. I know that Pete uses the West Epoxy System product. I am not sure about leaving the planks clear or whether to paint the hull, If I paint it then a coat if glass might be a good thing. I,m thinking about it.

Thanks Pete, I am going to get some plaster the next time I am in the city.

Now that looks absolutely stunning

I am glad you think so Deon.

Michael

Thanks for explaining Michael,

the steambox and it`s function,.....relatively simple and smartly done !   ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Finish on the hull depends on usage.  If it is in the water as a one time thing then any good poly or paint will do but if you plan to sail her many times then use epoxy.  No mater how well it is sealed the wood will swell and shrink with getting wet and drying.   On one of my boats I used epoxy inside and out without the glass and after a couple years of use I can see light between the planks.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks Bob, are the boats that have the planks clear like the mahogany varnished ones also given a coat of glass?

Michael

If the epoxy is worked well into and through the glass cloth the glass will disappear and it becomes like a heavy varnish but it takes some practice to get rid of the air trapped between the fibers of the glass.  Thinning the epoxy with alcohol will help.  Use a very light weight cloth like 1/2 ounce.  You don't need a lot of strength for a model.  Women's nylon hose is strong enough. 

Bob

Build part 19

The next pair of planks now secure to the hull only three more pairs to go.

post-202-0-21117400-1453504388_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-84190800-1453504389_thumb.jpg

Michael

Sweet lines, Micheal.   I'm impressed with the inside also.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the likes and visits.

Build part 20

Down to the last two planks on each side now.

post-202-0-71766400-1453653617_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-96744200-1453653618_thumb.jpg

I have been checking the open distances with a rule to ensure that they are even on both side now.

post-202-0-37104600-1453653620_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-72318100-1453653621_thumb.jpg

I am getting excited now about getting the last few planks secured, and have been giving the last ones a bit of thought regarding holding them in place. I am not sure yet how that will transpire.

Michael

Looks good Michael, That is a difficult series ( 2 ) planks to install, ( on the Haven I went from garboard to sheer strake to avoid custom planks ) I would get the last 2 planks bent so that they stay in position ( it will take some time I spent 2 hours on 1 plank ) tack it with some super glue , you should be good to go . Curious  what is the smaller frame/ building Jig that you have going on in the pic? 

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete48

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Curious  what is the smaller frame/ building Jig that you have going on in the pic?

Ooops....I forgot that was in the area.....

Michael

Have you had a Southern Hemisphere lock on it, or have I simply been blind as a bat?

John My frozen electrons are having a difficult time navigating the equator......

Michael