Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

Ah, what class you've added.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the comments and likes.

build part 25

The first picture shows the bending of the coaming stringer being, I used the heat gun instead of the steam box for this and it worked quite nicely and was much faster than the steaming.

post-202-0-45964600-1454511722.jpg

Next the stringer is placed and held with the single clamp there was no spring in the piece and it located as I had hoped. Once this is glued and all the short cross pieces added I will add some dowels to give added strength.

post-202-0-48614300-1454511725_thumb.jpg

The short frames are now glued in place on the port side, and being prepared for fitting on  the starboard.

post-202-0-30971400-1454512101_thumb.jpg

Finally they are sanded ready for the dowels, then the deck.

post-202-0-87692100-1454511721_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-80435500-1454511723_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

this looks excellent, must be fun, just like building the real thing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Michael, Nicely done, Curious, what did you end up with for a deck width at the transom? 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Pete at the transom it is 6 inches and at the forward bulkhead it is 12 inches.

Nils thanks, working in this scale is a great deal of fun The only problem is of course the maximum size of prototype, there is one yacht that i would like to build in this scale but it will be 105 inches at the waterline. So I will have to get all of my other work done first.

Deon, Thanks, but don't look too closely, there are little areas that I wish were a bit crisper.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael, is the heat gun sufficient for all bending or will you still need the steam box?

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Michael, That's about what I went with on the first one, on the current one I went with 4" at the transom and 9" at the forward bulkhead ( that's finish without the coamings )

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-25660600-1454518102_thumb.jpg

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Bob, Your question is a good one and the honest answer is I don't know. The actual section of the coaming stringer is 11/64 by 1/4, the redwood planking was 5/8 x 5/32 and I have used both methods on both planks.

In Chuck's video where he does the tutorial for the planking of the cutter he is using smaller planks but comments about the heat being more important than the water or soaking. Intuitively the steaming of the full size timbers is probably the easiest way to really heat the planks without them drying out. At our scale the sorts of pressures that we get with our own hands would be scales of magnitude greater than the full size if we scaled up our bending and clamping. so the time for applying the heat. When I am steaming it takes longer because my box is not very sealed but the heat of the planks is considerable when I pull them out. the drawback is waiting for them to dry out afterwards. 

Michael

Build part 26

Just to try my hand in something a little different after reading about Dave's wonderful carving work on his Sovereign of the Seas.

I realized that a nameplate might be an easy start not having done this sort of work.

I used a small piece of my English boxwood as much as anything for the contrast in woods it is also a bit crisper and more dense than the Costello

I began with the letters as simple incised ones.

post-202-0-04239800-1454536083_thumb.jpg

it is about an inch long.

post-202-0-24189000-1454536085_thumb.jpg

After what seemed like half a day about 5hours in total I used a bit of double sided tape to see how it looks on the forward bulkhead.

post-202-0-67324500-1454536084_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-81012600-1454536083_thumb.jpg

I think that I will leave the carving for those more suited to it, it was challenging and I constantly worried about chopping off the end of my thumb. it was all accomplished with a trusty number 11 Exacto blade.

michael

Michael

I am happy top read this post. i think it means we need not carve our boats names. I found the old sign board for my real boat and both my rear admiral and i vetoed it.  The font was cartoon like and all small letters.The were decals on mahogany.  We spent a while thinking about carving a sign board since last year we got one for our catspaw dinghy and it was great.

to my point...we have agreed to go with vinyl marine paste on from DIY on line lettering for BITTERSWEET. it will be about 24 inches long.  They also allowed me to down size to model boat scale [ 1;6 so 4 inch name]and buy them to match.  

anyway keep going the crisp clean lines are a joy to watch as this wonderful large scale comes together

cheers

If that was your first attempt at carved lettering - well done, Michael! And that you used a simple #11 blade rather than miniature carving tools is even more remarkable.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

It Looks really good Michael, well done, I would not even know where to begin with doing any carving work ( I agree Sawdust Dave does some amazing work ) 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Isn't it a real satisfying feeling when things fall in place so perfectly - ref the deck coming stringer.  And now your carving prowess, nicely done Michael.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nothing wrong with that carving, Micheal.  I'm thinking like the others. It looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Michael

I'm just catching up after missing your last few updates. I gotta say, your carving, the ship's coaming, the deck framing and bulkheads...just brilliant!

And...the black and white photos, really do add an extra touch of class.

Really nicely done.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Michael, I don't carve for the same reason you gave, I like my thumbs.  But the carving you did, using only a #11, shows what a skilled craftsman you are.

Thanks for the info on bending the wood.

Bob

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

build part 27

I fitted all the main forward deck beams and half lapped in a centre beam. I will need to finish the inside of the forward compartment and mast step before gluing this all together.

post-202-0-44947600-1454626159_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24270600-1454626158_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-91179500-1454626158_thumb.jpg

following is a plan of the deck planking they are 1 1/2 inches wide and will follow the deck line and but into a king plank

post-202-0-00797100-1454627516_thumb.jpg

Michael

Very Nice Michael, Beautiful work. She's looking really good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thank Pete.

An interesting thing occurred when I drew the king plank. initially it was 5 inches parallel but looked tapered because of the curved planks. so I kept adjusting it until it look parallel . the forward end is 4 5/32 and the aft end is 5 5/8 but it looks parallel.

Michael

While waiting for things to dry I remembered a method I used for something else regarding some mast hoops.

So an experiment to test the strength and look of some laminated hoops.

I have a large roll of Butchers tape or Gummed paper. I cut the paper into 4 strips aprox 1/4 inch wide by 3 feet long.

post-202-0-43328900-1454814630_thumb.jpg

I discovered that the green highlighter pen is very slightly tapered, almost imperceptible this worked to my advantage by allowing the loop to become wedged after a couple of turns.

I glued the strip on so that the glue was on the outside which made it easy to moisten.

post-202-0-93747800-1454814631_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-25056600-1454814631_thumb.jpg

tomorrow when it is good and set I will see how it cleans up and whether it will work as a ring. I might end up making them just a little larger then cutting them with a scarph joint and using a copper rivet.

Michael

Thanks for the visits and likes.

build part 28

The experiment is a go as far as I am concerned I need to make 10 more.

step 2 was to cut the ring in half which I did with the jewelers saw with a #3 blade (very fine)

post-202-0-21493400-1454858578_thumb.jpg

the next step was to rough shape it with a sanding stick with some 220 wet and dry

post-202-0-69505400-1454858578.jpg

this was then coloured with a Prismacolor dark brown felt marker, then polished up with some Trewax a clear carnauba paste wax.

post-202-0-10777800-1454858579_thumb.jpg

I hung it on a varnished paint brush handle to see it is a context.

Michael

Nice looking rings, Michael, very nice. 

Bob

I smiled at the mention of gummed brown tape. This material was used to 'plank' a bulkhead style model I made when I was about ten or eleven years old. The result was much less successful (the bulkheads were too far apart) than your use of it in making some very nice mast hoops.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Great idea Michael and should work like charm at your scale.  Actually - why wouldn't work at a smaller scale.  Hey, paper is made out of wood and it sure looks like a wooden ring!

Chalk that one up for future reference.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the kind remarks and the likes.

build part 29

I made the mast today, I decided on a cedar one, it was a matter of having the right piece with the right grain. it is also quite light but strong. Strong enough for a model and I particularly like the colour.

post-202-0-54628300-1454909738_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-39456000-1454909739_thumb.jpg

I made the mast step from some 1 1/2 mahogany and cut a 2 1/2 inch x 4 inch recess 1/2 inch deep

post-202-0-63475400-1454909737_thumb.jpg

the blocking is also now installed port and starboard, I still need a block aft of the mast. then I can begin installing the deck planks.

Michael

post-202-0-25642900-1454909740_thumb.jpg

Michael, Very nice Mast step, beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete,

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member :